It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that time travel will never happen

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOracle

Oh really? that would be interesting... where did you read that?

also there's this physicist Ronald Mallett who has been attempting to build a time machine that would allow backwards time travel but only back to the point when the machine was first turned on.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
actually time travel is real, my old roomate was being controlled by myself from the future. I even heard them talking one time.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
IMO time is explained in two ways.one-it is the numerical measurment system we use to record(two)the effects of gravity and movement along the space-time continuim.so i believe that time travel is possible-possibly even easier than FTL travel.now if time travel is done by physically moving through time or by just "looking" through time is a question(i will refer to the movie "deja vu" to explain the looking aspect)i dont believe the question is if time travel is possible due to the fact that nearly every physics theroy states that it is possible.but i have to agree with many of the other posters on this thread that when a civilization is advanced enough to invent time travel,they would be advanced enough to observe naturalisticlly-meaning without interfering in the enviroment they are observing.call that a "prime directive" or whatever,but it makes sense that an avanced civilization would have a directive like that.i believe that time travel has problly already been invented or borrowed from an e.t. source,but i think it is only likely used as an educatonal technology to observe the past live.if it is used for any other purpose it is problly the last resort for a serious problem.nice thread,lets keep it going.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by First Sergeant Kent A. Tr
actually time travel is real, my old roomate was being controlled by myself from the future. I even heard them talking one time.

Interesting. Kind of like how I've been guided by my future self since I was 8 years old. I know this now beyond belief, because now is that future, and I'm doing it right now.

Time travel is a really crazy red pill kind of thing. I would have to believe it would be to darn easy to get lost and forget where you started or what you were doing or why once you start playing that game. I would have to think time travel would be a perfect means of escape too. Yet there is morbid side to time travel too. If you leave this realm, this time-line, then from that moment forward you no longer exist here, unless you eventually return.

Of course, if you went back in time to shake your mind when you were younger, it would never have happened if you return to the reality where that originally never happened. To implement that change you would have to return to a reality where you remembered that having happened when you were younger before you even did so yet from that realm where it never happen. Ouch!
Crazy stuff. Like god playing hide-and-go-seek and tag with the devil within the never-ending-matrix.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by skyshow

I am of the opinion that is high highly unlikely that anybody will ever be able to invent a time machine. If anybody claimed to be a time tourist from the future, I would presume that person to be a hoaxer or insane. That does not mean that it is absolutely impossible to build a time machine. This also does not mean that there are no time tourists amongst us, as they might be concealing themselves.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

Well there is a logical fallacy to your post. If they came here in the past, we would have the technology to then build ourselves time machines to travel into the future. Would this pose a great risk to security? What if they DID travel to our time (the past), but then traveled to the future and saw how much history had changed because of the effect their traveling had caused on influencing past events? Would this be a scenario they experienced and then decided not to allow time travel anymore?

It could also be that time travel does exist, but it is limited to travel prior to any time period where mankind would have the resources/means of recreating the time machine, incase anything went wrong.

The great cultures in history, Incas, Mayans, Egyptians, Chinese, etc. all have references to futuristic machines in their artwork and stories. Maybe this is just a story based on their past experiences with seeing people from the future come to their time with the time machine.

See friend, there are many more possibilities than just "it doesn't exist because they didn't visit us."

[edit on 16-3-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled
and if time machines have been invented in the future then who knows whether or not our past has been modified several times

Thats a scary thought for you!!

friend of mine said something similar. he said he felt as if time had changed, like a shift in the timeline.
if it's as fluid as some say, multidimensional and so forth, maybe
major, future changing decisions, shift everyone in the current time into a different timeline, depending on the outcome of the decision and the type of decision ... errr...maybe.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   
not long ago here at ats several threads (involving faradays homopolar generator and a scientist named bruce depalma who improved on it and built a contraption that lost weight to gravity when it was turned on)were raised concerning the availability of free energy via gravity waves.

some of the graphics shown in those threads represented waves of gravity flowing in a continuous toridal loop in and out of the center of the universe with a question speculated that riding the gravity wave 1 way took you back to the past and the other way to the future.

if as was shown time/gravity waves travel in a continuous huge loop it would appear that they possibly both are infinite ?-----in other words no begining nor end.therefore i can only assume that the time line we are in right now is just a short segment in that time loop?how you could build something fast enough to ride the waves out of our time segment without our physical bodies being crushed by the necessary acceleration?your guess as good as mine !

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by First Sergeant Kent A. Tr

That's quite a claim; Care to elaborate?
Nothing negative, just interested.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled
Time travel has been an interesting topic for fiction authors, and certain conspiracy theories, but I have proof that it will never happen.

Its quite simple actually. If time travel were to be invented in the future then we would be seeing time machines come to our age to explore the past.

Maybe I did not use a machine...

And how do you know that all these UFO's aren't time machines? So maybe we are seeing them all around. If you would travel to prehistoric times would you make yourselve known and submnit yourself to the primitives? End of theory.

Beyond your premise: Time is a tricky dimension. Superficially we seem to be glued to it, not able to move in it, on the other hand we have to feeling to exist in a unending sphere (a soul that is unending), and then we have these strange visions of the future or dreams and they become true.

My best guess on this moment is that a part of ourselves is able to "move " through time (maybe through the pineal gland as David Wilcock's theory goes) or maybe, just maybe there is an aspect in us and the surrounding world, some sort of a timeless grid in which data can travel (which it doesn't because it is a timeless grid ), so data can be seen/experienced, which would make remote viewing possible.

I don't know, I am currently testing all the possibilities. But it could be possible that shifting in time is not done by traveling, but just by being there. There is no mass on the flip side of our coin. On one side we travel in space in three dimensions and live in time and the other side (dreaming/meditating for instance) we shift in time and stay in space.

[edit typos by Pjotr]

[edit on 16-3-2008 by Pjotr]

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
On the subject of the OP, I would note something that I have an opinion on.

You see, If you shoot your grandfather then you won't magically begin to fade away. You continue you living as if nothing happened. Because that's time. Simpler form...

*You are born
*Go back in time and shoot Grandpa
*Come back to the future and you will find things the same way when you left

Nothing will change because the timeline has continued, not split. When you tamper with the past, it wouldn't affect the future. I'm 99% sure about all of this, although I might (as usual) be wrong.

It's nice to think that time would be smart and kill you off, but in reality, it probally wouldn't.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Glorious_Ruler

What you're referring to isn't a time loop, but a new dimension you just created. You would be returning to a new reality that would not have gone the way it would if you didn't shoot your grandfather. The reality that you changed will never have you born in the future (because you have to ancestors).

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
with time travel you can only go back to the point it was made, so say someone made one today. in the future people could only travel back to odays date, not eariler.

this is using the "Space-Time Twisting by Light theory"

for more information visit www.phys.uconn.edu...

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
IF, time travel was possible, and at some point being done, it would be impossible to "catch" a time traveler, unless there was only one and no record of his capture was made. If there was two, and you caught one, the other could prevent the capture by, yup, going back in time. If there was only one, so no time travel rescue could be done, and it was made public, this person could prevent the capture simply by knowing it was going to happen.

If time travel becomes possible, and historical events would want to be witnessed, you wouldn't even need a time traveler at the event. Example: Gettysburg address. The night before, a time traveler places a digital camera in a tree to record the entire event. Unseen, obviously, because if caught, you could "go back" and do it again. (Think of it like a reset button on your nintendo) The next night, you recover the camera and now, anyone who wishes can simply view the Gettysburg address on their television. With future tech, we may never know it but even smells and the feel of the air may become avalible for playback. You could experience being there, without going. So no mass people.

My personal belief, is that time travel is not possible in any way. You can relativity change time to the future for people or objects, making people "age" slower, or think slower, or the reverse. An object moving near the speed of light, would seem to age very very slowly. A year for this object passes (in it's view) and the universe would age by 1000 years (in it's view). The fact is, time continues as always. The universe is made up of matter that is always moving, interacting, and changing. To "go back" in time, would mean there is some record of the placement of the entire universe at all times. A record that could be accessed, and used, to "place" the universe back to a past arrangement. Time is not actually real. It's only a measure of movement of the universe, by the observer. Time does not slow down because you are bored, or speed up because you're having fun. You are simply observing events differently, changing your view of the passage of time.

Simply: to go back in time, you would need to re-arrange the entire universe back to a pre-determined arrangement of energy/matter. To do this you would need a record of where every bit of energy and matter was, where it was going, how fast... ect ect. You'd then need a machine that could pull that off. Even if you did, you wouldn't be going back in time, you'd be re-arranging the universe.

The only thing you could inject, is the presence of a creator. If God created the universe, then something outside this universe exists, thus a record of this universe could exist. If outside this universe doesn't work like it does inside the box, it may be possible for creatures outside this universe to access it at any given point. To accept this though, you'd then have to come to grips that time travel would only be possible if allowed by God. If God gave us His instructions, what ever the religion, you will not find time travel. This would mean either He's keeping it secret, or won't allow it. Either way, for man, it would be impossible.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by hotpinkurinalmint
reply to post by skyshow
I am of the opinion that is high highly unlikely that anybody will ever be able to invent a time machine.

Who is to say it must be a machine? How would that paradox work if you took resources from the Earth today to meet itself yesterday. Could I take a bar of gold today back to meet itself yesterday and double my net worth? My guess is only the traveler gets to go. And no machine is required, or permitted.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
No, it's not actually quite that simple. You see once we invent time machines then we will be visited by people from the future. One of the things about time travel is that you can't travel backwards unless time machines have been invented. So when we invent time travel then we will be visited by people from the future. You can't visit a time that hasn't the means to travel through time

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkness07 You can't visit a time that hasn't the means to travel through time

So, what you're saying is not even some omnipotent god of all this could even go there either? Or take another there too? (if he/she could, that is obviously time travel too) I'm not so sure I could dismiss any possibility so readily without knowing for sure.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
So, who is “Jane’s” mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, and grandchild?

Here's a good puzzle from Prof Michio Kaku. Read it at your risk. My brains blew a fuse due to overload and I was laid up in bed for a whole day!!

There is the paradox of the man who is his own mother. (My apologies to science fiction writer Robert Heinlein.) “Jane” is left at an orphanage as a foundling. When “Jane” is a teenager, she falls in love with a drifter, who abandons her but leaves her pregnant.

Then disaster strikes. She almost dies giving birth to a baby girl, who is then mysteriously kidnapped. The doctors find that Jane is bleeding badly, but, oddly enough, has both sex organs. So, to save her life, the doctors convert “Jane” to “Jim.”

“Jim” subsequently becomes a roaring drunk, until he meets a friendly bartender (actually a time traveler in disguise) who wisks “Jim” way back into the past. “Jim” meets a beautiful teenage girl, then accidentally gets her pregnant with a baby girl.

Out of guilt, he kidnaps the baby girl and drops her off at the orphanage. Later, “Jim” joins the time travelers corps, leads a distinguished life, and has one last dream: to disguise himself as a bartender to meet a certain drunk named “Jim” in the past.

So, who is “Jane’s” mother, father, brother, sister, grandfather, grandmother, and grandchild?

A cask of beer to anyone who can solve this!!

So is time travel a good idea? Hell, no! It's too darn confusing!

Cheers!
www.pbs.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Man, when I was on 'down time' on the USS Oriskany, we would talk about stuff (that at that time was secret) like the Rex Heflin UFO Photographs ..
that guy was in the right place at the right time.

He took four photos of a UFO that most folks thought were a hoax. Three of the pics were a craft and one was a "smoke ring", he got it right.

The way things might stand out is probably alot more than most folks could even get a grip on..even the folks that really look at the information that was given to them by the people that were dressed down and made naked to keep the "secret", that these (craft-objects) are ...hell I ain't going to even say it...

If anyone, even knows...bring it on...If you know ..AND GOT THE GUTS ...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Just had an interesting thought while reading this thread.

Quantum particles: Get two particles seperate from each other, and find that one responds in the identical way to the other without outside stimulia.

What if the reason for this phenonimon is because it is the same matter from the future?

Using a belief that all of us have some atoms from Ceasar's last breath in our bodies (something random I remember from school), wouldn't the same be true if a time traveler exhaled here in the past, creating duplicate atoms if they arrived from the future?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join