It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proof that time travel will never happen

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

thats good stuff!!

Just like the "bulk" is the whole of every thing. The universe as "we know it" is like a sheet of paper in the "bulk".

Of course, there are lots of sheets of paper, and once in a while two sheets of paper hit!! (think a storm or what-ever) and BANG!!!

Another Universe.

There has always been a "bulk" and sheets of paper.

You can travel through time when your civilisation understands the "bulk"..

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
i cant remember the name of the professor at uconn, but his whole theory was a time machine wouldnt work like in the movies it would only be able to recieve "messages" from the point it was turned on;

if its turned on on march 17 2008 and never shut off you would be able to send messages on a "subatomic level" to march 17 2008+ from any point in the future as long as the machine was constatntly running.... its pretty interesting

I also read about a guy whos trying to develop an online archive to be handed down generations that lists people who desire to be visited by a time-traveler;

you list a meeting place, your info etc. If in the future the data survives and time travel exists then maybe they will visit you. he thinks ime tavelers will only be able to visit people who have requested a visit. kind of a cool idea, if not a tad nutty

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Glorious_Ruler

I believe you are mixing up the Grandfather Paradox.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mikesinghA cask of beer to anyone who can solve this!!

Well, maybe we're living on the holedeck and the currently running reality can be programmed to be anyway or whatever way it's programmed to be, regardless of any paradoxes or illogical scenarios. Maybe it all works like a dream.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

conspiracy wise speaking i have no idea how your dream is progressing but "mine?" seems to have more nightmares attached to it than i care to be experiencing-----and my wife tells me to shut up and be grateful ----that i don't have some other peoples problems.

i suppose she's right but if i found a time travel "device"---i'd be out of here looking for a better future time to live in.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I believe you are mixing up the Grandfather Paradox.

en.wikipedia.org...

From what i understand from this wiki-article what i tried to explain earlier was the so called "Observation resolution", I realize my explanation may have only been understood by myself

Anyway I belive the answer is simple: There will always be some sort of event that prevents you from killing yourself or your grandad..

Why? Because you excist..

Thus, this simple fact would also apply to not beeing able to interfere with historical events. Still, it doesn`t rule out the POSIBLITY of time travel.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey
i suppose she's right but if i found a time travel "device"---i'd be out of here looking for a better future time to live in.

Yeah, me too, maybe, but not so hasty. I can think of one crazy scenario where we might choose to be here. Suppose you do exist forever after ~ for eternity. What would you do during all that forever ~ to keep from becoming eventually bored to death? Forever and ever. ??? Might you get a chance to experience it ALL?

Anyhow, if someone can claim and prove that all this was created by an omnipotent deity (i.e. 'their god'), then we will at least know that time travel is a possibility. Omnipotent wouldn't mean much if something were impossible, ha, right?

It could be quite possible that only the soul can time travel. And no machine is required. Just a gateway through the void.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I think you can only go towards the future through going very fast in time, but never backwards in time. People traveling in space shuttle experience time dilation to the future, but for a minute seconds ahead. You can slow down time (gravitational time dilation) and you can speed up time (velocity time dilation), but never backwards in time. I think thats the limit.

Theoretically, if one travels in the past, you are not actually traveling in your original space time, you are traveling in a different universe. I don't think you will meet your twin self and I don't think you'll be on Earth. There's no such coincidences because it posses too many problems and paradoxes. You'll just be plainly in a parallel universe.

Everything moves forward even in reverse, a negative space time. If one is able to go through a black hole where in the singularity Time=0, then one will just be ejected out from the other side which is a white hole where Time=-1, -2,-3,-4 and forward in reverse relative to us. You'll be in a different universe, but normal physics still applies. Effectively, you just traveled in a wormhole.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Hi Guys though it was about time I actually posted for once instead of just reading, but felt there was a comment I just had to add to this post.

First of all we know more about if time travel is possible now than we did in the past, with not only the string theory, Albert Einstein's Law and Wormholes and other theories abound, none of these are proven however they are also not discounted either.

I know that if I was the one to actually invent a means of time travel, then I would be a very rich person indeed, so if I traveled back in time I would not want someone else taking the credit for my work!!

It is also common theory that a slight change of history could result in a very different future (the butterfly effect of chaos) so anyone coming back to us would have to be on an observational status only and possibly ‘invisible’ to history itself.

I believe it is possible to ‘fall’ into anther time by simply being in the right place at the right time as this time collides with another (string theory) and there have been well documented accounts of this in our own past.

People seeing battles involving kings that they are delivering messages to only to find them safe and well in their snug little castles etc.

Past events clearly visible to us as apparitions or ghosts etc

There is much to think about regarding time travel and as someone said in a previous post that maybe our lives have already been changed by travelers from the future?

Maybe the invention of the wheel was no accident or maybe even that fact that you are from certain parentage was no accident and our lives are mapped out by future events.

I believe to this day that I have experienced a ‘meeting’ with my future self which resulted in me being here today.

The story is quite simple, I used to be in the military often working nights and had a small 50cc Vespa that I used to regularly travel the 45 miles home for long weekends etc, I used to pass an ole café that never saw open though often thought it would have been a good place to stop (if it had ever been open) as it was approximately half way through my journey.

On this particular occasion I was ‘released’ from work very early in the morning during a cold snap and even though it was cold decided that I would set out for home anyway. By the time I reached y ‘half way’ point I was virtually frozen to the scooter and new I could not go on much further, to my amazement the café was open so I ventured inside for coffee and warmth, the older guy running the place kept filling up my coffee cup, giving me chocolate biscuits and even pulled the only 2 gas fires in close to me so that I could regain y body heat. On staying in the café for about an hour I was ready to leave and offered to pay for my coffee and biscuits however the ‘owner’ would not take any money and just sent me on my way. I thought at the time if this place is never open and he didn’t charge me for the coffee how does this place survive!!

I finally reached my destination with the thought that at some point I must return and thank the owner of the small café though in the years that followed I never saw the café open again even though I passed many times at the same time of day (this time in a car) and after a few short months the places became a ‘caravan & camping’ center and the café was no more. I never got the chance to thank that man but maybe in my own future I will get a chance to thank myself!!

So is time travel possible, yes I think so but how or when is the real question!

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Spiritfilled

Haven't been in the archives much have you?

John Titor- Time traveler.

Like so many other debunkers, your main proof it isn't real is that YOU don't have proof, lol. What if its not just a "universe" but a "multi-verse"? A mulit-verse is one in wich infinate alternate universes exsist side by side, in wich everything that can happen is now happening in one of them. Time travel would force you into another universe to avoid paradox wich would rip the universe appart. So the odds of a time traveler, even from our own future, hitting our time line is very slim. That is how its possible, wether its real or not, you will have to deduce for your self.

I really feel sorry for you, that "proof" is the only thing you can believe in. Part of intelligence is being able to deduce things correctly with out proof, or on very tiny slivers of evidence, like Sherlock Holmes. How do you think proof is found, is there really proof of anything? I have no proof you exsist, but I might deduce it by reading your post. Proof you are real would mean I would have to reduce you to atoms and mesure each one's mass, and posistion. That would destroy you in the process of course, but at least I could believe in you with out having to deduce your real.

Isn't there an easier way? lol. Don't be afraid of faith or belief, its only the tyrant who will spoon feed you proof like a baby, but it won't be truth they are feeding you.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   
So a real time traveler showed up in late 1997. DNA established he was the son of two people who were still in the third grade.
He told us all sorts of things about our future. This resulted in wars, famines, stock market crashes and suicides that otherwise would not have taken place.
In 2018 when that little third grader became pregnant she was convinced that aborting the child would be so much better for the world.
She believed.
The child was aborted
He never grew to make the trip back here
The Turkish/Mexican war of 2006 never occured.
The airborne ebola plague of 2007 never occured.
The memory of his visit was erased from this time-line.
And that was only one of those bastards.
There were over 200 travelers who appearances became a matter of historical records so the police of the future knew just who to arrest before they made their time jump.
Of course they come back here all the time but the memory of their visits is removed as fast as they jump.
What made you think they're not here?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Some has an interesting reply to say that time travel would only be possible from one machine to another, but maybe the machine would not actually have to travel! have you thought about that one, or maybe the means to time travel has always been there but just that we don;t know how to use it (assuming we knew where to look)

we have all had experiences on regular journeis that have taken us alot longer than normal or shorter time than normal (no not about the traffic on the roads) with no explenation maybe we have darted unknowingly in and out of other time zones??

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 07:49 AM
link   
For those of you noobs who weren't around back then, read this:

www.johntitor.com...

Also, check out your local library for books such as David H CHildress' book on time travel. there are many interesting 'events' through modern recorded history that might be construed as encounters with time travelers.

One example, paraphrased:
100+ years ago, in Europe, at a concert:
a musician leaves rest of the orchestra, walks into another room through a door, and is never seen again. Why is this important?
There are journal records from a safari or military expedition in Africa, i believe, that was startled when a man walked into their camp, wearing a tux, and carrying a large horn instrument...........

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Bet you can’t answer this????

Read carefully.

“Jane” is left at an orphanage as a foundling. When “Jane” is a teenager, she falls in love with a drifter, who abandons her but leaves her pregnant. Then disaster strikes. She almost dies giving birth to a baby girl, who is then mysteriously kidnapped. The doctors find that Jane is bleeding badly, but, oddly enough, has both sex organs. So, to save her life, the doctors convert “Jane” to “Jim.”

“Jim” subsequently becomes a roaring drunk, until he meets a friendly bartender (actually a time traveler in disguise) who wisks “Jim” back way into the past. “Jim” meets a beautiful teenage girl, accidentally gets her pregnant with a baby girl. Out of guilt, he kidnaps the baby girl and drops her off at the orphanage. Later, “Jim” joins the time travelers corps, leads a distinguished life, and has one last dream: to disguise himself as a bartender to meet a certain drunk named “Jim” in the past.

Question: who is “Jane's” mother, father, brother, sister, grand- father, grandmother, and grandchild?

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by HellHound63S
reply to post by Spiritfilled
I really feel sorry for you, that "proof" is the only thing you can believe in. Part of intelligence is being able to deduce things correctly with out proof, or on very tiny slivers of evidence, like Sherlock Holmes.

You really do need some kind of proof that is beyond reasonable doubt, just like in court in order, in order to make some kind of claim. If religion were to be challenged in court concerning their claim that there is a god, and that he/she/it loves us, they would loose ~ beliefs and conjecture and guessing and assumptions and hearsay doesn't cut it when you want to get beyond playing mere make-believe. The same with time travel. A belief ain't worth squat ~ knowing without a doubt is what matters.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Time travel does exist is my opinion. Do we have to see the machines to believe or not...I do not think so and would a time traverler really reveal themselves to us?

But everynight when we all fall asleep, your soul time travels to wherever it desires and often times your conciousness records the events of such trips.

To not believe in time travel existing is to limit your ability to exist.

PS - Yeah that does not really explain my position, but maybe I have already done so at some other date in tme.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 09:52 PM
link   
According to the mathematical equation, time travel is possible.

Say, if a spaceship traveling at 80% the speed of light for 1 hour, how much time has passed by relative to Earth?

t1=Gamma*t2

where gamma is

1/Square root [1- (v/c)^2]

and the t1 and t2 are the times to each observer.

So, say that we're at v=.8 c

Gamma is going to be

1/Root[1-.64] or 1/Root[.36] which works out to

Gamma=5/3

If the ship sees one our,

t earth=(5/3)*(1 hour)

The earth experiences 5/3 hours or 1.667 hours.

Therefore, I am effectively traveling to the future as 1 hour on the spaceship traveling at 0.8c equals 1.667 hours on Earth.

You can also arrive at this answer by this simplified method:

Δt' = γ Δt
. . = Δt / √( 1 - v² / c² )
. . = ( 1 hr ) / √( 1 - ( 0.8c )² / c² )
. . = 1 hr / √( 1 - 0.64 )
. . = 1 hr / 0.6
. . = 1.667 hr

posted on Mar, 22 2008 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Amitheone -
10 years ago, I knew a man who was going thru sub navy training - he produced a paper in physics class that posited a time/space/light speed scenario so significant, it was confiscated, and he was forbidden to speak of it.
long story short, there are things we're not being told about light speed travel.

For more info on time displacement, research the Hutchison Effect. We know time is a function of space, and high voltage has something to do with affecting that.....
Also, read about "Die Glocke", a possible Nazi experiment

All you doubters - why haven't you read up on John Titor yet?

posted on Mar, 23 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   
My understanding was that the predominate theory on why we would not be aware of time travelers from the future is because all time travel to the past puts you in a parallel dimension. As such, any activity carried out there would only impact the outcome of that universe, which in fact was already planned out in such a way. That way, there is a seperate universe for every potential action. I think. It was the physicist J. Richard Gott that was talking about this if I remember correctly.

posted on Mar, 24 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Traveling to the past requires infinite energy. Anything with mass is impossible to travel to the past. The only way is to travel to the past is without mass. One needs to be transformed into something not physical. Something made of energy. You can go to the future, you can go to the past without facing any problems at all. However, if you are made of energy, you cannot be seen.

If a body made of energy travels at the speed of light, it won't be affected at all by mass. It does not even require energy for you are massless. You can go to the speed of light with zero energy.

Going past the speed of light would make time go backwards, thus enabling one to travel to the past. Since you are made of energy, it won't have any effect at all to the time line because you can't interact with physical things. You can move pass through objects with ease.

You can even make many duplicates of yourself at infinity if you want. Just go to the past and go back to the time were you launched yourself past the speed of light to go to the past.

When you come back, you'll see 2 of you. However, from the moment you see the 2 of you, the other guy launched himself and another one comes along. Now, there will be 3 of you. This will happen instantly and instantly you are going to fill the whole universe at infinity. But this won't affect the physical world, because you are made of a massless energy.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join