It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fireball lights up night sky in Switzerland March 01/08

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
hello

Saturday Night 1st of Mars 2008 shortly before midnight the nightsky in parts of switzerland, italy and germany was completly bright for about 2-3 seconds. The massmedie missed this event and there was just little to no news published about this event. There are many eye witnesses in 3 different countrys. Now the swiss media told us that it was a metroid smashing to the ground somewhere in switzerland. Until today they didn't find anything. the following pictures was taken from webcams in switzerland, belongs to juerg kachelmann, he works for the forecast news in switzerland.

www.liveleak.com...

another picture from switzerland:
www.meteoradar.ch...

and another one (scroll down a bit):
aight-genossen.ch...

does anybody out here knows about metroid impacts and the way they brighten the sky while coming on earth? strangest thing about this story is that there was NO news on major news companys, neither newspaper nor tv stations. switzerland, italy and germany.. 3 countrys where the nightsky was bright as day and no official news?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
wow, that's bright.

i'm in south western germany, near saarbrucken, and saw nothing. i was inside though so no surprise.

flagged. did anyone see this?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
reply to post by CelineHagbard

Alert fireball on March 1, 2008

On March 1, 2008 at about 22:45 UT a very bright (Mv = -17) fireball was observed over north of Italy, Switzerland, south-eastern France and Southern Germany. The observed provisionally trajectory was from south-east (mean Azimut 140°, inclination 50°-60°) to north-west and pass near the zenit of Milano. The colour of the fireball was green-blue with a persistent white filamentary trail. The meteoroid fragmented, with some very bright flares, at the trajectory end. Some eyewitness report elettrophonic sounds simultaneously to the flares.

The mean geometric impact point of the fireball trajectory is located at lat. +46°N, long. +9°E, near the city of Lugano. The fireball start the dark fly at a quote of 25-30 km above the Earth surface (Lat. 45.9°N, 9.1°E). The apparent radiant is located near Denebola in AR 11h 40m, dec +12°. With a reasonable assumption for the geocentric velocity of 15-20 km/s, the eliocentric orbit is near the ecliptic, with aphelion at 1.4 UA and perielion at 0.6 UA. For a geocentric velocity of 30 km/s, the perielion is a 0.5 UA, instead the aphelion grow to 5 UA.

The ITAlian Superbolide Network (ITASN) has collected numerous visual observations, but more witnesses are necessary in order to study the atmospheric trajectory of the meteoroid.

www.fis.unipr.it...

ciph-soso.blogspot.com...

Image of the event

I hope to provide more infos asap

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Good find celinehagbard and good job finding that article internos. When do you sleep?

I know that earth grazing meteors/bollides are common, however, it is surprising to me is the frequency of these things lately. Is it just me?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112
Good find celinehagbard and good job finding that article internos. When do you sleep?

I know that earth grazing meteors/bollides are common, however, it is surprising to me is the frequency of these things lately. Is it just me?

i did not yet sleep this week..
i kicked many newspaper and journalist ass this week but again.. there was NO news to the public for 4 days. even know that remain silent about that. in most cases i did not even receive an answer.

this frequency you said looks the same to me... bush maybe trying to hit some targets..
targets like john lenard wilson took on pictures

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Hi everyone. This is very interesting. I'm from the UK and I saw a large, bright fireball on 04 March 08, 3 days after the event discussed here. The object was so strange and compelling that I started a thread about it. I don't know how to link to that thread i'm afraid, but the title is "fire in the sky - I just saw a UFO." I have desperately been looking for similiar reports from England for this time period, but so far have found nothing. I see a few capable members are already doing some digging on the Swiss fireball. If anyone hears anything regarding a large fireball sighted 04 March 08 in the midalnds area of England please let me know in this thread or the thread I started. I will continue looking into it myself and will check these threads as often as possible.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by RedEyes]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by hsur2112

It's not just you hsur - the general public usually gets fairly alarmed when they find out just how frequent these events really are, but the recent spate of fireballs/bolides is not that unusual. This time of year seems to be a good time for them. I guess at this time of year we cross the orbits of some quite large meteoroids.

If you look on the space exploration forum, you'll see another report I posted not long ago (that got no attention).

top topics

join