It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien Contact Closer

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   

Alien Contact Closer

www.news.com.au

The recent discovery of planets similar to our own outside the solar system and the launch of a major NASA mission in 2009 has brought extra-terrestrial contact a dramatic step closer, Britain's Daily Mail reports.

American astrophysicist Dr Frank Drake told the BBC: "Everything has caused us to become more optimistic."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.dailymail.co.uk

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
Although this will be common News to a lot of people and will be treated as such. The keyword for today is: contact. Contact is most likely meant by utilizing methods of communications such as Radio, Microwave etc. Those methods are not necessarily viable or effective means of communicating on a Interstellar scale, not to mention Intergalactic. They have also put emphasis on the 'at least' 20 year time frame or 'soon', knowing well the limit of the speed of Light.

My point is, there may be an underlying message in this article.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:07 AM
link   
Very interesting that a newspaper goes out with something like that.

If you think about it, if we would find a habbitable planet, with intelligent beings on it, how far away would it be?
How long would it take for a message to reach this planet?
Using laser communication would be ideal, but very expensive.

Contact in this case, with our 'standard' scientific means is 'far out'.
Perhaps even impossible.

Nice post

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
In the wikipedia page below lists the nearest stars/binaries to our Sun.

en.wikipedia.org

If even any of those stars have a system which contains habitable planets and advanced intelligent life forms, communicating by means of our current capabilities would be deemed unfavorable, with 8-32 years of pauses between each message, not to mention space hazards. The only message we can send out is to let them know we exist and were in the vicinity.

Besides all of that, I'm trying to grasp their concept of 'contact'.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I look forward to contact in my lifetime.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Moegli

I think that it might a 'warm up' for contact, there is alot recently that has been about extraterrestials.

I even think that there is a increase in sightings of 'ufo's' not that is proves anything.
But letting people read about it more and more might be a good way of getting them to not react with fear or panic.

Just .2.c

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I don't believe in the "fear/panic" scenario at all, personally. I think people are more accepting than that, at least before we get to find out what their flesh tastes like cooked slowly in a low oven.

I think, just judging from our own history very recent in such matters (15th century on up), aliens have far more to fear from us than we (possibly) have to fear from them. If theyrealise that, of course, they'll just wipe us all out and take our minerals. Then I suppose we'll have to plan our retalliation first and - - -

You knwo, maybe making contact with intelligent alien life forms is more tricky than I thought.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hidatsa

The fear/panic is quite real though.
Everything would be uncertain if something landed and made contact, what is their intention?
If they are as advanced that they have the ability to go from one solarsystem to another one, we will probably have no means of defence.

Then we have the religious sects, all of them, anti-christ or whomever they believe is the bad guy might be what they interpret this to be.
And the populace that is religiously engaged my just believe what the priests tell them.

And we also have countries which is not up to speed in science, teachings, and other educational systems.

So, yes panic might happen....

And we also have our own leaders, how will they react? Their reaction will also show how many others will react.

My .2c

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
And let the cosmic diplomacy begin.

However, there will be ample diplomatics, as all will be understanding.

=)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:32 AM
link   
The fear/panic is quite real as Balez says.

Imagine if contact came in the form of sliding something across your room floor. Or whispering in your ear while you were cooking in the kitchen.

They might have chosen that form as the least frightening. But we would find that most disturbing.

See what im getting at ?

Take care.

Regards
Lee

[edit on 6-3-2008 by h3akalee]

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I think it's only a matter of time until something happens that the powers that be cannot stop.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Here is the new BBC video docu featuring Drake:

video.google.com...

Very interesting...

new topics

top topics

join