It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fascist America - CA Judges Orders NO Homeschooling!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quazga

Originally posted by Lokey13
reply to post by antar

Okay so your the 2% of home schooled kids that either have a genetic disorder/ disease/ or "intremurual problems" that keep them from public school. ask.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I had to laugh at the comments concerning homeschooling for religious/conservative reasons. That does not describe me or a lot of the homeschoolers I know.

I am not required to test my children, but I choose to do so every other year. I am continually amazed at the results I see.

After homeschooling for only 6 months, my children tested 40% higher in Math (their “worst” subject) than they had on the same National Standardized Test just the year before, or any year previous, in public school.

By the time 2 of my kids reached 9th grade age, they were testing at college level-2nd year or higher in every subject but one (that one subject depended on the kid). In the one subject that was lower, they were testing at 12th grade level. My “8th grader” is testing at 12th grade level or higher. This is using the same standardized tests they use in public school. These same kids tested at grade level or one level above when they were in public school. This is after 5 years of homeschooling. And believe me, we don't push hard. So my kids will start college courses as soon as they turn 16. It's getting really hard to adhere to state standards and still make school interesting when they've met all the state standards by the time they are 15.

My youngest, who would be in Kindergarten in public school, is doing 4th grade work. And this is the first year I have “formally taught” her.

We definitely do not have a problem with socialization. Stop by my house any day and you will find a minimum of 6 “extra” kids. My children are friends with kids who homeschool and kids who go to public school. They play organized sports, belong to groups, go to dances, etc. The difference is that they get to choose who they spend time with. They don't have to worry about someone making their life hell at school because they don't go along with the crowd. And they have much better friends because of that. At the same time, they are not sheltered. They are put in situations where they might not like or get along with people they have to be around, and they are learning how to still be productive in such an environment.

My children can have lengthy discussions with adults just as easily as they can with their peers. They are prepared for living on their own, making major purchases, handling finances, entering the workforce, caring for family, being part of a community......

I feel I am preparing my children well for the “real world”. Hopefully, I am also preparing them to be happy in the “real world”. That's all I want afterall.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
This is dumb . I bet there are a few school shootings in CA this year . Or in the years to come. Most parents keep there kids at home either cause there troubled. Or the parents are smarter than the teachers. (in my case it was the latter) I made it to 5th grade . In public schools. I started college at 16

Public schools are over run and underfunded. I bet there doing this cause of tax reasons in the long run .

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Harman

I do read my own links, and that was the third case so I "chose" not to mention it. Obviously the kids should get better grades then the average student, they're getting 1on1 attention. I never stated that the kids who were home schooled were any less intelligent, I just said the majority I know and/or have met are social nightmares and have many types of different issues. To everyone else if home schooling worked well for a friend of yours or a sibling good for you, these people are in a very low percent region. Any care to find me a link on that, since I've provided the information on reasons for home schooling, could someone find a link stating what percentage of them is successful.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:25 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

reply to post by Harman

I do read my own links....

........could someone find a link stating what percentage of them is successful.

Maybe you should read other people's links as well.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   

reply to post by otherhalf

I'm happy your so happy about your children, are they still breast feeding as well?

I don't care for bait.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lokey13

Are you a social nightmare, as well? Birds of a feather flock together, as the old adage goes.

I've known many home schooled kids...all of them smarter, happier and better adjusted than public-schooled kids. Perhaps it's just the caliber of kid you're hanging with? What contitutes a 'social-nightmare'? Not going along with your opinion? Standing up for what they believe? NOT engaging in stupid adolescent pranks? NOT doing drugs or getting pregnant in the 10th grade?

Are those kids in public schools that end up blowing people away somehow NOT social nightmares because they were enrolled in public school? The are the very stuff of which nightmares are made. Are public school and all those 'socially adept' children that populate them the reason they cracked? I don't know, but I suspect they played a large part in screwing up their heads.

I don't know how 'fanatical' they are, but Seventh Day Adventists (private schools) consistently have more graduates end up as Rhodes scholars.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Thumbs up Otherhalf
....couldn't have stated it better myself.

I homeschool my son. I am religious but not radical and yes, environment was definitely a consideration.

To Lokey: he is not disabled, backward, or anti-social. He has scored in the 90th or above percentile his entire life with only one year being outside of the 95th overall percentile. He plays baseball, basketball and soccer and is addicted to xbox 360 where he leads 2 clans and somehow has managed to control adult gamers more than twice his age.
"Backwards" would not be an accurate description of him. He can socialize with any age group, not just his peers. He excells in baseball and has been sought out by coaches around our city to play for their teams based on his reputation and proven abilities. He has gone to work with me, sat on a public safety board with me and my husband for our community and has always earned respect and admiration from adults. He makes friends instantly with "bullies" and "nerds" and respects everyone until they earn his disrespect. If he doesn't make a friend, he doesn't care because his self image isn't based on the reflection from some peer. He could survive on his own if he had to.

I am not a genius as a teacher nor would I say he is gifted beyond any other "normal" child although he does seem to have a great head for math and science. Yes, you can teach in two hours a day what it takes a school 8 hours to do and accomplish twice as much. I don't feel I push hard - he may say otherwise. Like many other homeschoolers he has simply had the benefit of blooming in a loving environment that allows him to think for himself and become a self-motivated individual without the distractions that our illustrious schools have to offer. Every child has the right to that opportunity if it can be afforded to them. It's about choice.

The actions in CA and similar attempts throughout the country, IMO, have nothing to do with taxes or concern. In my state the public schools still receive the tax dollars for my son so they make money off of homeschoolers. The powers-that-be have one concern: fear. Fear of not being able to control a growing, upcoming population. I do see homeschooling being threatened and I am glad my son is almost to the age where he could legally drop out if push came to shove. I feel for those with young children because I think they will have a rough ride ahead.

The thing that bothers me is that uninformed voters like some represented here will be the ones to usher in the politicians that will take away more and more of our freedoms. Scary...

Sorry, this thread has hit a nerve.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I would be interested in what actual laws California has on the books that gives the State powers over your children, they are saying there is no laws permitting home schooling, so other then truancy laws, what is there compelling children to have to attend public schools?

Note, that they must not be in violation of or conflict with the California Constitution.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by RexxCrow

Here is a link that will give you the CA laws: www.hslda.org...

If you explore this link you will see that the CA laws are very vague. The laws in my state are very stringent. I used to think this was a burden but now I am grateful because if you simply stay within the law it makes it harder to do what CA has done to this family, and I am sure others to follow.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
This is just ludicrous!
Anyone should have the right to homeschool their kids without any interference from government and without the parents having to have some sort of teachers license. The government whether local or national needs to take a step back.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by glad_to_be_His
Thumbs up Otherhalf

Thanks, I needed that.

I am not a genius as a teacher nor would I say he is gifted beyond any other "normal" child

That's what I was trying to show. I don't hold a teaching degree and my kids scored average before we started homeschooling. It was the homeschooling environment that made the difference.

I do see homeschooling being threatened and I am glad my son is almost to the age where he could legally drop out if push came to shove. I feel for those with young children because I think they will have a rough ride ahead.

That's what I'm worried about. I wasn't going to have them get their GEDs because they would be able to start college right away and not have a need for it. However, the way things are starting to go, I think I will have them get their GEDs as soon as possible...just so we don't have to worry anymore.
I'm scared for my little one, though.

Sorry, this thread has hit a nerve.

Had to walk away from the computer a few times. It's strange to me that having well adjusted kids, being proud of them and enjoying them, and being happy in life is a threat to people.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   

reply to post by antar

Okay so your the 2% of home schooled kids that either have a genetic disorder/ disease/ or "intremurual problems" that keep them from public school. ask.yahoo.com...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by 4thDoctorWhoFan
This is just ludicrous!
Anyone should have the right to homeschool their kids without any interference from government and without the parents having to have some sort of teachers license. The government whether local or national needs to take a step back.

Wow 4th we totally agree first time I think
. Another situation of government overstepping what they were created to do. California is just crazy anyways...this was the same state that is trying to ban spanking your kids too. I find it ironic that the same people who advocate for abortion are the same people saying you cant teach your own kids or discipline your own kids....hmmm.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mybigunit
Wow 4th we totally agree first time I think

Well, some issues cross ideological lines I guess.
It is strange though.

this was the same state that is trying to ban spanking your kids too. I find it ironic that the same people who advocate for abortion are the same people saying you cant teach your own kids or discipline your own kids....hmmm.

Holy smokes, we agree again and good point.

I don't know why we don't agree more because since I am a 'true' conservative, I am always for LESS government involved in our lives which is why I think the government should stay OUT of healthcare, housing etc.......Anyway, this is off topic for this thread.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by 4thDoctorWhoFan

Im the TRUE conservitarian I dont think the government should be getting into our business at all. But on the same note I believe in equality also and right now I dont think their is much equality and fairness between the extreme rich and working class people. That is where we disagree. I dont believe in a welfare state even though you may think I do. I dont like eminent domain another big brother way of taking from the working class. Last but not least we need to get rid of the government fluff thats out there IRS, FED, Dept of Education.....so trust me I am the TRUE conservitarian

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I have a 10 month old son and am thinking about homeschooling him when he gets to that age. If the school shootings, children hurt in sex abuse in the schools, etc does not stop than I am going to. That and they taught us the same thing over and over again year after year. If it wasn't for my Grandmother I wouldn't be as open minded and smart as I am. She taught me more about subjects than the school did! She had me learning medical terms when I was 7 years old, lol! The socially inept part... well I've done some research into that and there are places that have get together's for kids who are home schooled... they can go take PE classes, and other elective courses, etc. So they aren't shut off from the world. That and I've read on some blogs that some mothers get together and teach their children together. I don't know if am going to home school, but we will see where the road takes us.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I can't believe this! I home school my daughter and she is smarter in all subjects than all of our neighbor's kids. What I fear is that Alaska is part of the 9th district court system of California. If this is approved by the higher courts that means we can't home school either. I will be outraged if this happens. I enjoy home schooling her and I will do everything I can to spread the word to put a stop to this idiocy.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by themillersdaughter

Well since you seem to know all about me (man I hate woman like that), I suppose I don't have to go into my schooling. Your opinion is based on friends of yours who you would find to have a better view of things and they go with what they believe in, cause I'm not doing that or something? Seems every poster is for home schooling on this thread so if anything I'm low percentage and the one going against the current. You post opinions with no facts about homeschooled kids being "better" then public schooled, I'd like to see the scientific data on that one. Your also the problem people are fearful of public schools, children pregnant in 10th grade and schools blowing up; ya like the percentage of those cases isn't less then 5% or something. You can continue to live under a rock and have your secluded group of friends, I on the other hand traveled for school and know people from the us to iraq and am welcome in many homes in many countries worldwide but hey you'll get that opportunity right. I hope you and your home schooled friends have a good time making baskets together.

[edit on 6-3-2008 by Lokey13]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join