It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fascist America - CA Judges Orders NO Homeschooling!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
I don't know which this country needs more. More home schooled robotic tards who think Jesus rode dinosaurs and fear anyone who has skin darker than a deep tan, or more shiftless gang-banging skate punks who couldn't find Myanmar on a map they were using to smoke their weed with. Fortunately for me, I don't have any children. At least none worth worrying about.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by otherhalf

Originally posted by glad_to_be_His
Thumbs up Otherhalf

Had to walk away from the computer a few times. It's strange to me that having well adjusted kids, being proud of them and enjoying them, and being happy in life is a threat to people.

Yep, and that is just the problem. Certain types of officials just don't want the type of mentality that homeschooling, on the whole, promotes. And just look at some of the misguided impressions that some have thrown out on this thread. Sheeple, sheeple, sheeple

I also second the guy who pointed out the irony in that the same people who often promote abortion choice are often against school choice. Hmmmmm....

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Please, don't get your world travelling boxers in a bunch, jr! You can dish it out, but you sure can't take it.

I was commenting on your sweeping generalization of "socially inept" home-schooled kids. Perhaps that is the experience YOU had with the homeschooled kids YOU connected with. Why would you be so defensive of someone generalizing you, since you are so willing to do so to others?

I don't have a lot of time for basketweaving, as I am currently maintaining a 4.0 GPA in a nursing program. I do, however, enjoy beading, painting, classical piano, guitar, African drumming, spinning, weaving, permaculture and heavy weapons combat in the time I like to call 'spare'. I will admit to an interest in basket-weaving...I especially like those baskets the native Americans made with pine needles. Oh! And those Amish baskets are divine!

And, btw, my daughter attended public school, then public college and is starting grad school at USF in the fall. Perhaps she could've had a better education, but she's doing fine and dandy, as it is. She's a little shy, but I don't blame the public school she went to for that....it's just the way she is. Perhaps the socially inept home-schoolers you've met had the same kind of thing going on? I guess I'll never know since you didn't answer any questions...just ranted. Wow, you must be forum-ally inept, huh?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
seems like a bad call to me

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Everyone should have the right to home-school their children if they wish. Last time I checked, everyone still has the right to raise their children in their religion faith (or none) of choice. Everyone, I believe, still has the right to feed their children what they feel is appropriate. If everyone is allowed to feed the soul, feed the stomach, why not be able to feed the brain?

The posters that are making rash generalizations regarding the intelligence or social aptitude of home-schoolers, are way off-base.

Just as children who are schooled in public or private schools join social groups, children that are home-schooled have the same option.

www.homeschoolinkwell.com...

The term “isolation” is associated with homeschooling. Homeschooling parents can do away with this tag and stimulate the social lives of their little ones by make their children part of social organizations. Your kid can join the girl’s scout or the boy’s scout or rather join in any recreation program or local parks. In case your family is somewhat estranged from the social life, you can let your child have access to the Internet and allow them to chat with children of their same age. There are also monitored chat rooms, which
enables your child to carry on discussions on age appropriate subjects).

We did this when we home-schooled our last child, and everything was fine.
By the way,let me tell you the reason we home-schooled our last child.
Several of our children are adopted from South America. Our last adopted child has a very dark complexion. As a result, other students resorted to calling our child the N-word constantly. We went down to the school and spoke to the principal about it. His response:
"One thing I've noticed about Hispanic people, is that they don't look people in the eye, when they talk to them, unlike normal white children."

As my wife and I sat there with our mouths wide open in disbelief, he continued to spout vicious comments about Hispanic people. Needless to say, that was it for us. We pulled our child out of the school, and home schooled our child. Our child finished the high school program a year ahead of the students that were in the same grade, then our child went on to college, ending up on the Dean's List and receiving a scholarship at a Big 10 school at the end of the freshman year. Our child played soccer during high school, and was involved with several other organizations.

There are many reasons that people home-school their children. Whether other people want or don't want to home-school their child should be their decision. Taking that right away from the parents and the child is an abomination.
By the way, children that go to a traditional school also have social problems.
In fact, given the exposure to drugs, and other problems, there is, in my opinion, more opportunity for problems at a traditional school.

Let's not let the government take one more step towards Fascism, because, folks, that is exactly what is happening today. One day , we'll all wake up and discover that we don't have any rights anymore.
Is this what you want?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

Homeschoolers have upset the apple cart. People who grew up in wealth and indulgence do not see the point of having an educated populace. They want teenagers ( and increasingly small children )to be exposed to sex and drugs. They want children to take stupid classes which do not teach even the most basic literacy. I could rain down curses on the head of the misguided judge ,but instead I will pray for him. I hope he wakes up and realizes that the pain he is causing homeschooling parents and children is not worth the end that he is trying to gain.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
This is truly disturbing news. How can a Judge be so ignorant of the application of laws and the limitations imposed? After reading the news I went to the California code for Education and one particular section stuck out.
EDUCATION CODE
SECTION 33300-33319.5
…..33318.5. (a) In addition to the dropout rate the department
compiles pursuant to the federal No Child Left Behind Act of 2001 (20
U.S.C. Sec. 6301 et seq.), the department shall compile an attrition
rate for high school pupils in the state pursuant to the formula
specified in subdivision (b).
Here’s the actual code section (rather long)

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
continued...
continued...

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
I am so sick of this "State" we call California. They have produced the most communist politicians America has ever seen, especially thr Bay Area. Because they have their daughter as the Head of the U.S. House, we have now:

1. Outlawed incandescent light bulbs for the entire United States, because they sap more energy than the alternatives, and are thus "bad for the environment". Even though flourescents contain a poision called Mercury, and their frequency can cause some to experience seizures, not to mention their cold coloring which causes depression and increased suicide rates, and also exacerbates skin conditions and/or allergies. They also present security risks in the time it takes for a flourescent bulb to reach full brightness levels, as some delays can be anywhere from 30 seconds to 1 minute or more.

2. Outlawed albuterol asthma inhalers for the entire United States. They said that the CO2 that each activation of the inhaler released was a pollutant to the atmosphere. This is all despite the fact that asthma sufferers report it was the only inhaler to truly aide them during attacks, and the new alternatives are nowhere near as effective. Some have even reported that the alternates have not helped them during asthma attacks at all, and they were thus forced to make an Emergency Room visit.

3. California is now going to regulate what you set your thermostat on at home. They will remotely monitor it, and set it to the levels they wish to have it set at. You may override the levels if you wish, but during times of power strain, they will override your settings regardless and force it to their levels. They claim to know what levels these thermostats should be set at, and are thus the "professionals". Very interesting is it not? I wonder if ethnicity will play into their forced settings, as I can hardly imagine an African feeling comfortable with the same interior temperatures as an Alaskan.

California = Communism.

Liberalism is the greatest Irony in America. They all protest for "freedom" and claim to want everyone left alone, yet, their ideology is the same as Communism, or total governmental control over every aspect of life.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by karlkar

Great research. Too bad the activist judge can't read. This unfortunately is another of the move towards fascism, activist judges. They don't interpret the law, they REWRITE IT.
What good is a constitution or laws, if the judges can just rewrite them to fit her or her viewpoints?

Thanks again for the post.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheAgentNineteen

I certainly understand your view, and agree with it wholeheartedly. What you said about communism, fits in with the second external except that I posted when I created this thread. You can't home-school your children, but they can indoctrinate them in communism. This is why they don't want to allow home-schooling. They want to be able to indoctrinate ALL children to prepare them for the new world order.
Wake up, America, your freedom is quickly slipping away.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
So, I thought I could destroy a few misconceptions here. I am 18, and in my senior year homeschooling. Now, first I should say I am an atheist. So there goes your religious generality. I have done both homeschooling and public school. I have recieved a far better education homeschooling then I did in public school. I went to public school up until my 6th grade year, that is when I began homeschooling. I homeschooled from 6th through eighth grade. I decided to return to public school my 9th grade year, and i attended until the 11th grade. I had only one problem going back to public school, and that was being smarter than my teachers. Now you can interpret that 2 ways: either my particular public school was completed with a poor faculty or homeschooling gives a superior eduction. But, even if it were to give a poor education, it is the right of every parent to choose what paths their children are to take.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
Too bad the activist judge can't read. This unfortunately is another of the move towards fascism, activist judges. They don't interpret the law, they REWRITE IT.
What good is a constitution or laws, if the judges can just rewrite them to fit her or her viewpoints?

The Judge is right. The California Educational Code clearly states that for a pupil to be home-schooled, the tutor must be credentialed.

Relevent CEC Sections

48224. Children not attending a private, full-time, day school and
who are being instructed in study and recitation for at least three
hours a day for 175 days each calendar year by a private tutor or
other person in the several branches of study required to be taught
in the public schools of this state and in the English language shall
be exempted. The tutor or other person shall hold a valid state
credential for the grade taught. The instruction shall be offered
between the hours of 8 o'clock a.m. and 4 o'clock p.m.

That's the law. Unfortunately, in this case, mother is not credentialed. End of story.

Don't like the law? Change it.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 08:40 PM
link   
California is full of some of the most absurd laws. I dont even see how its considered part of the US anymore.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by IAttackPeople

NOT TRUE. Read the below:

www.californiahomeschool.net...

Common Misinformation Promulgated by Public School Officials
"Homeschool parents must have state teacher certification."

False

When parents establish a private school in their home, teaching certification is not required. Likewise, if parents are homeschooling through a private ISP, certification is not required. Note in §48222, above, the precise wording is: "Children who are being instructed in a private full-time day school by persons capable of teaching shall be exempted." Teacher certification is not mandated and, of course, most private schools do not require teacher certification for their faculty members.

A few California parents homeschool under §48224 (below) regarding tutors. To be a tutor, the parent or individual must have state certification. The school official who insists that all homeschooling parents must be certified is confusing the requirements of tutoring with the less stringent requirements imposed on private schools.

Education Code §48224.
Children not attending a private, full-time, day school and who are being instructed in study and recitation for at least three hours a day for 175 days each calendar year by a private tutor or other person in the several branches of study required to be taught in the public schools of this state and in the English language shall be exempted. The tutor or other person shall hold a valid state credential for the grade taught. The instruction shall be offered between the hours of 8 o'clock a.m. and 4 o'clock p.m.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
From the HSLDA:

In what could be one of the most important homeschooling related
broadcasts in 25 years, James Dobson interviews HSLDA Chairman Michael
Farris on the developing situation in California.

We encourage all homeschoolers to listen to this broadcast, and ask
you to forward this information to anyone who is concerned about
homeschool freedom, parental rights and the direction of our courts.

Broadcast: Focus on the Family daily radio broadcast with Dr. James
Dobson.

Program Title: California's Threat to Homeschooling Families.

Airdate: Friday, March 7, 2008.

Since the broadcast is aired on stations across the country at
different times, please visit ----
listen.family.org... and search for "Daily Focus on
the Family Broadcast" to find the station that covers your area.

You can help stop this threat to homeschooling by signing an online
petition to depublish the Court of Appeal opinion at
hslda.org...

Sincerely,

Ian Slatter
Director of Media Relations

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by themillersdaughter

You had a lot of nice "puns" and answered none of my questions either, so guess were even. But this question goes to all members reading this forum, What is Humanity? Togetherness? Peace? So therefor if those could be two possible answers that I bet pop into just about 95% of peoples heads, whats the seclusion of home schooling getting us on that front? An I will agree that there are many other things that lead to a seclusive types of personalities before anyone starts saying well what about this and what about this I'll put that out there. Answers anyone?

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
O yes and I also forgot about this, I did go to a different college before I transfered to my main one to graduate; my credits were not excepted by my new school. So my point being why doesn't the government just say that home schooled childrens credits won't hold any value at any type of major university; wouldn't be telling you not to home school.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Lokey13

Here you go. This link discusses in detail the accomplishments of homeschoolers.
www.hslda.org...

Homeschoolers continue to exhibit academic excellence on national averages for college admissions tests when compared to public school students.
The ACT college admission exam scores show homeschoolers consistently performing above the national average. In both 2002 and 2003, the national homeschool average was 22.5, while the national average was 20.8.

The College Board, which administers the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) also notes the above-average performance of homeschoolers. In 2002, homeschoolers averaged 1092, 72 points higher than the national average of 1020. In 2001, homeschoolers scored 1100 on the SAT, compared to the national average of 1019. (2003 homeschool statistics not yet available.)

Lokey13 said

my credits were not excepted by my new school

Perhaps it had something to do with your English grades.

posted on Mar, 6 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus

NOT TRUE. Read the below:

According to who? An advocacy group trying to find loopholes? You just can't say your home is a private-school just because you wish it to be so. This notion is addressed in the ruling...

Turner also held that the subject former statutes were neither arbitrary nor
unreasonable when they required that teachers in private full-time day schools only be
“persons capable of teaching” and did not have to hold a valid teaching credential for
the grade being taught, but did require that a home tutor hold such a credential. The
court observed that whereas it is unreasonably difficult and expensive for a state to
supervise parents who instruct children in their homes, supervising teachers in
organized private schools is less difficult and expensive. (Turner, supra,
121 Cal.App.2d Supp. at p. 867.) Moreover, it would not be unreasonable for the
Legislature to conclude that teachers in private schools would be directly supervised by
the persons who run the schools, and such persons would have an interest in
maintaining the required standard of instruction by competent teachers so that the
schools would continue to qualify for the private full-time day school exemption. (Id. at
pp. 867-868.)

Additionally, the Turner court rejected, and noted that courts in other states had
also rejected, the notion that parents instructing their children at home come within the
private full-time day school exemption in then-section 16624 (now section 48222). The
court stated that a simple reading of the statutes governing private schools and home
instruction by private tutors shows the Legislature intended to distinguish the two, for if
a private school includes a parent or private tutor instructing a child at home, there
would be no purpose in writing separate legislation for private instruction at home.
(Turner, supra, 121 Cal.App.2d Supp. at p. 868; accord Shinn, supra, 195 Cal.App.2d at
p. 693.)

If you haven't read the decision yet, you should. It is quite enlightening.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join