It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide: The Unforgivable Sin??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:39 PM
link   
God forgives everything. But you have to pray and repent for forgiveness. If you commit suicide, you have commited murder, and you cannot repent because your dead. So, shouldnt you go to hell if you commit suicide?

Just something I wondered about...

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:46 PM
link   
oooh another good question

I personally I believe they would just move on to another life cycle, perhaps in another form or in the place of a person who will have to suffer from a loved one committing the act and have to realize the value of life, if they still don't get it or this wasn't their first big error, then the lower life form would apply.

but I am pretty sure that most major religions are against suicide.

and like the suicide bombers, I think most people who do commit suicide pray and beg for forgiveness before committing the act. So logically you would have to think that will not be forgiven and be sent to purgatory or something like that.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Well you see first Religion was invented, and everyone was told they would one day find paradise in the afterlife. So eventually people started to ask "Hang on! If paradise is waiting for us in the afterlife what are we doing buzzing around this shit-hole?".

This probably lead to people hopping off the merry-go-round, but the powers that be couldn't lose their worker bees, so what else could they do?

"Suicide is against God!!! *whispers*Phew! that was a close one"

It probably went something like that.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
God forgives everything. But you have to pray and repent for forgiveness. If you commit suicide, you have commited murder, and you cannot repent because your dead. So, shouldnt you go to hell if you commit suicide?

christianity says yes. most religion frown upon suicide, for obvious reasons, but the reincarnation ones knock u down a level or so, whereas others send u off to burn.
it is from these thoughts that suicide is crime - good luck getting charged with it tho. this way it allows the govt to intervene

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   
We shouldn't despair of the salvation of those who commit suicide. Only God trully knows the circumstances of the individual like if they had honest psychological disturbances or sever mental/physical anguish etc.

God could, by ways known only to Him, provide an opportunity of repentance for this individual. Pray for these individuals that commit suicide.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by John Nada
Well you see first Religion was invented, and everyone was told they would one day find paradise in the afterlife. So eventually people started to ask "Hang on! If paradise is waiting for us in the afterlife what are we doing buzzing around this shit-hole?".

This probably lead to people hopping off the merry-go-round, but the powers that be couldn't lose their worker bees, so what else could they do?

"Suicide is against God!!! *whispers*Phew! that was a close one"

It probably went something like that.
Yup. The best and most logical explanation to give for this reasoning.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Until relatively recently, it was illegal to attempt suicide in the UK. I believe the penalty was imprisonment.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
what if you commit suicide to escape the spirtual hell you may be living here in this life,what about if your seriously ill and certain to go through agony and pain before you die.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I will get flamed for this but If you are that weak who cares what happens to you?

I am not talking about a dying person dying a few days early to ease there suffering or some one dying for a cause, etc

I am talking about people that kill themselves over girlfriends, fights with there wife, bankruptcy, etc.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I will get flamed for this but If you are that weak who cares what happens to you?

I am not talking about a dying person dying a few days early to ease there suffering or some one dying for a cause, etc

I am talking about people that kill themselves over girlfriends, fights with there wife, bankruptcy, etc.

I agree, people who commit suicide are weak.

Sadly, there is alot of weak people. Every 40 seconds someone kills themselves.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Hello all,

%100 correct!!!

I always said that when you kill yourself in the name of God, or to escape the harsh reality, is a big SIN!!
In Islam Id say its a Big sin, but i guess some Muslims say otherwise (I think). Iv seen how there are heaps of Muslim Militents that wear bomb straps around them, to blow themselves up. THAT IS WRONG, especially killing women and children.
These people are killing themselves, and at the same time thay are doing it out of angre, and that is wrong.

I have had talks with many Muslims and they have nothing back to say to me, especially the ones that havent read the Knoble Qur'an:

[003:145] Nor can a soul die except by God's leave, the term being fixed as by writing. If any do desire a reward in this life, We shall give it to him; and if any do desire a reward in the Hereafter, We shall give it to him. And swiftly shall We reward those that (serve us with) gratitude.

I rest my case!!

Salaam

Guerilla

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:08 PM
link   
so what if u give up ur life by trying to save someone else? wouldn't u be killing urself so technically, wouldn't THAT be suicide?

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by silQ
so what if u give up ur life by trying to save someone else? wouldn't u be killing urself so technically, wouldn't THAT be suicide?

Tough one. You would be killing yourself, not for your own reasons, but for the good of another. I dont think that would be a sin.

What about if your land was invaded, and you killed yourself because you would rather die than live a life of slavery?

This subject has alot of loopholes...

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
those who said that you are weak if committ suicide do not know WTF you are talking about.

emotional pain is just the same as physical pain so if think of sick people is alright and not those suffering from emotional pain. you are a phucin ediot!!!!

good thing you did not say that to my face cuz you would have just committed suicide.

NO i take that back i would not do you any physical harm you will have suffer enough in this life being as ignorant as you are. bashing your head in would just be a waste of my time.
ever heard GOD HELPS THOSE WHO HELPS THEMSELVES

EMOTIONAL ILLNESS is the same as physical illness
those who actually get to the point where they snuff it have reached the point where they can no longer endure the pain

so they help themselves and god helps them

killing yourself over a girlfriend is extremely sad
extremely sad and one could argue that that person was weak BUT NOT IN FRONT OF ME

SAD SAD SAD

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   
actually i am glad that heard this from afar first.

it is likely that i will come face to face with someone unaware of the circumstances and i would not want to lash out violently.

good thing thank for making me think of this

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I agree pancho! It's almost like saying a person is weak because they grieve...

Well, I guess Earnest Hemingway was weak, and should go to hell, according to some of you.

Well obviously many other people who contributed to HUMANITY have committed suicide, he just stuck out in my mind.

Don't understand people unless you are trying to understand, friends.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Pancho, it is sad. Extremely sad.

Its sad that people cant deal with thier problems and move on.

Granted, some people have horrible horrible lives. I still dont think there is a valid reason to kill yourself.

I've had some horrible things in my life. I moved on.

[Edited on 18-2-2004 by JustAnIllusion]

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:56 PM
link   
That is just messed... My dad committed suicide, recently, a girl everyone knew at our school committed suicide.

Why do I care?

I believe in no religion, flame me, call me whatever you want as you won't/can't convert me and won't change me in anyway.

I think it takes alot of courage to accept death, if you think that you go to Hell or whatever God-forsaken pit after this life for ending your own personal suffering then you're just... Nevermind.

I think most people who say this type of thing have never dealt with people who HAVE faced the kind of pain that makes you phsyically sick at times, makes you so depressed you can't function, makes you so sad and overwhelmed with grief that eating a bullet or sticking your head in a noose seem's welcoming.

If you think you're better than those who take their own lives; you're not. If you think you're stronger than those who have taken their own lives; your not.

It takes courage to turn the gun on your ownself, takes courage to face death. Knowing you're going to die and actually following through takes heart, I don't care who you are.

This is my opinion, I do not claim to know all the answers or claim to be better than anyone. I just know my own opinion... Flame me all you want, if it makes you feel better to belittle someone you've never met than by all means go ahead. I don't get pissed over text.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

It takes courage to turn the gun on your ownself, takes courage to face death.

It takes more courage to face life.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:01 PM
link   

It takes more courage to face life.

I agree, however. Facing the unknown, leaving this place behind, going into the dark tunnel and not knowing whats on the other side takes guts.

Either way, I've seen both sides of this argument.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join