It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suicide: The Unforgivable Sin??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:16 PM
link   
my dad, two of my friends

well i believe that life is eternal. so actually i am not sure which takes more guts or bravery.
some people probably wish that they had the strength to do themselves in. i don't think that you can really kill yourself; you can only fast forward.

i know whenever there were casette tapes it pissed me off when people fast forwarded. and it hurts when people you know fast forward their lives.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   
IIRC, current Catholic cathecism says that most suicide is forgivable, given that it occured under duress. Basically, if you're clinically depressed, crazy, or have just had something terrible happen in your life, then you aren't in total control and therefore aren't really 'responsible' for your actions.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:21 PM
link   
see, my view of suicide is this: why? i feel that of all the torment u cud possibly face in life, there will always be some good to come out of it. whether its a really good steak, takin a dump, or seeing you great-grandchildren, somethin will make it all worth it. the only reality i cud see not worth living wud be one where you are not able to think on ur own, proces, and react to stimuli.
this is not so say there arent causes worth dying for. i dont like getting hurt, and i really eally like living, but there aint much a bunch of dudes cud do to get information out of me regarding our country. likewise, i no a number of people id gladly give my life for.
there its more of a trade. one person has to die, make ur own choice.

posted on Feb, 18 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   
If you think a person who can turn away from all those who love them, be aware of the possible consequences, (unfigivable sin, etc.) and still have the strength and will to take their own lives, with no idea what awaits or does not await them on the other side - if you think that describes "weakness", then let's see you try it.

As for whether it is the unforgivable sin, I believe in reincarnation. As far as suicide goes, I believe that those who choose suicide will find themselves in an even "worse/more difficult/etc." life in the next incarnation.
Thus, suicide is no more or less acceptable than not committing suicide. But the soul can never advance until it faces problems and overcomes them.
Of course, there's no timelimit in eternity.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 06:54 AM
link   
I have known maybe a half of dozen people that have killed themselves and I stand behind what I said.

Someone said that I just could not imagine the emotional pain they were suffering............BULL#

I lived through 2 years of a living hell that most of you little kiddies could not imagine in your worst nightmares, I know that having a mans brains splattered in your face, holding anothers head while they bled to death from both legs being blown off, seeing men women and childern killed and crippled, watching bodies burn in piles, etc can not compare to having your girlfriend breakup with you or flunking art in school but its still pretty bad.

I feel sorry for them but cannot imagine killing myself for something so petty. If you are that weak you could never survive a real problem anyhow.

Some thing that helped me through bad times is just to remember that this to shall pass.

Killing yourself to end your time with cancer, etc or I have seen older couples where One was dieing so both killed themselves (kind of a wrinkled Romeo and Juliet) so that there souls would leave togather, killing your self for a greater good as in combat, etc this I can understand. But because your favorite team lost or some other nonsense like that?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:07 AM
link   
IMHO, "sin", or the standard for determining what is 'wrong", is defined by 'what' and based on whose legalistic or omnipotent 'requirements' or demands?
I'm positive that the "short answer" to this will be from the Bible....
In such, how is "sin" defined for those that are Jewish, Hindu, Atheist, Shinto, Buddhists, etc......not everyone in this world is held accountable to Christian beliefs? God has revealed Himself/Herself/Itself to and through a multitude of world religions, etc.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
God forgives everything. But you have to pray and repent for forgiveness. If you commit suicide, you have commited murder, and you cannot repent because your dead. So, shouldnt you go to hell if you commit suicide?

Just something I wondered about...

So my mother always said..

I believe the only unpardonable sin is to reject God, period.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I lived through 2 years of a living hell that most of you little kiddies could not imagine in your worst nightmares, I know that having a mans brains splattered in your face, holding anothers head while they bled to death from both legs being blown off, seeing men women and childern killed and crippled, watching bodies burn in piles, etc can not compare to having your girlfriend breakup with you or flunking art in school but its still pretty bad.

jesus man, whered u serve?
this guys right. suicide cud only be made to seen justified if it is in fact justified. its stupid, just stupid to kill ur self cuz ur gf/wife left u or cuz ur broke. just stupid. all the things u cud be doing, to just throw that away? #in stupid

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Amuk you are %100 correct, i hope things have been easy for you after seeing that. i wish you all the best, you are strong!!

But then again not everyone is the same

Salaam

Guerilla

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
If someone wants to die, they should be able to. Its really that persons right.

I cant every see in the future, from knowing my past, that I would every need to take my own life.

To me Death is an excape.

Take it how you want. It is what it is.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   
the only unforgiveable sin is blasphmery of the Holy Ghost or the total rejection of Christ.
Did Samson commit suicide? He asked God to give his strength, so that he could have vengenance. Which resulted in his own suicide. I feel that God granted Samson his request, knowing that Samson had confessed to God, and that this would result in his death. Lays a bit of arguement to whether suicide is a unforgiveable sin..

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 09:56 AM
link   
The problem with suicide is the energy that it creates at the point of death. We surround ourselves with the energy that we create and thus we are subjected to our own doings. There is no 'I was a good/bad person'. Just the reality that you create in your head which filters into the reality that you are subjected to.

As far as the christian god is conserned. To punish someone with eternal damnation because they were unhappy or in pain is, IMHO, sick and twisted. No loving god would do such a thing.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustAnIllusion
God forgives everything. But you have to pray and repent for forgiveness. If you commit suicide, you have commited murder, and you cannot repent because your dead. So, shouldnt you go to hell if you commit suicide?

Just something I wondered about...

Yup, if you kill yourself, to hell you will go.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Suicide is a form of escape. I feel everyone has a role to play in this world and if your check out early because you choose to take your life. Then I feel for them. But IMO this person will be in worse shape the "next time around" because that life ended before GOD had intended.

Its like GOD setup certain parameters for your life at the start and knowingly placed obstacles in your path to see how you would react and resolve the issues in your life. Your a big learning experiement to GOD, all of us and all of the creatures that "live" are under his watch. If you commit suicide I think GOD reviews the choices you made in your life and "fine tunes" your next path. Maybe you get another chance but like someone said maybe the roles are reversed and you become the family member that has to live on after someone else commits suicide, so that your soul can access the damage it caused and finally "learn" that there is much to learn in life, whether in pain and suffering and sorrow or in happiness and joy. All of life is a learning experience and each moment that you are presented with a challenge it is up to you to find a way to move on and to continue to grow and learn.

BUT I think that people you commit suicide with the added intent with taking other innocent people with them will be punished. These people do not get another chance to redeem their souls. Maybe they are sent back as a lower life form, to be kicked like a dog. Or maybe they just end up in a white room with no walls no floors no ceiling no sound no darkness nothing but your own ID for eternity. That would be hell. GOD just places you in limbo never to be used again.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Question: What about people who are terminally ill and have constant pain because of it? Does 'god' want them to suffer?

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I was just told about an hour ago that an old friend had finally drank himself to death.

My question if you know what you are doing is killing you and you keep doing it does that count as sucide?

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
I was just told about an hour ago that an old friend had finally drank himself to death.

My question if you know what you are doing is killing you and you keep doing it does that count as sucide?

[Edited on 19-2-2004 by Amuk]

Sorry to hear that, but you have a good point. My question is where would that train of though end. If I die in a plane crash, does god consider it my fault because I got on the plane? I was aware of the risk.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
that sucks man, really does, real sorry to hear that.
u bring up an interesting idea. al those people smoking, drinking their lives away, is that killing themselves? on a certain level, yeah, but with substance abuse it isnt a certain thing, uno? u can be very certain, and there comes a point when it is certain, but for the most part, it isnt, and its drawn out, so people dull it down.
i just find that doing things uno will kill is stupid. u can drink, but not excessively, not every night, u do need ur liver every now and then.
that kind of 'suicide' is even worse imo. ignorant, stupid suicide.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Wow, very facinating point there. If smoking kills then if you smoke you are knowingly killing yourself. Very convicing kind of condrum.

I think suicide is more of an action that has an immediate response of death and not a "possible" result of death like smoking (which will eventually kill you but not directly). So since you die of complications of other ailments, while caused by smoking, you are not actually dying from the act of smoking.

While shooting yourself in the head with a 45 will almost always have an immediate result of death. And IMO is suicide while smoking is putting yourself in danger of death by complications.

posted on Feb, 19 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
What if you know that you are going to die if you do a particular thing, but in doing so you save many other lives. Isn't that still technically suicide?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join