It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chemically-Induced Suicide: 80 Percent of Suicide Victims Took Antidepressant Drugs

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by IMAdamnALIEN
reply to post by khunmoon

Here we have irrefutable evidence of an influence on the minds of individuals.

Can we narrow it down to just prozac?

I am taking an anti-depressant, Wellbutrin, that has really helped me. I was very suicidal before I started taking it, now I'm down sometimes but I don't feel like I'm in a black hole anymore. The anti-depressant doesn't work all by itself, though; I have to take it in conjunction with a change in thinking and behavior. Wellbutrin, however, is not an SSRI, the kind of medication the study found to be most harmful.

My husband has taken Prozac (an SSRI) and he quit because it wasn't affecting him at all. My good friend also took it for awhile but it made her sleep too much. It could be this class of anti-depressants which are more questionable.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

I recall that there was a big stink, a few years back about prozac causing suicide. When it has been proven that the potential was already there. That is why they were on the drug in the first place. I agree with a lot of theories on, 'Bad Medicine.' But sometimes, people really do improve from their benefits, especially if they are monitored closely and professionally. Just my two-cents.
And yes, different drugs have different affects on different ppl. I had a friend on prozac that says to this day, that it changed her life. And rather than the drowsy effect, it actually stimulated her.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IMAdamnALIEN

You think that is bad, they already made a Hollywood movie called The happenning. Co-incidence?
www.youtube.com...

[edit on 29-2-2008 by The time lord]

[edit on 29-2-2008 by The time lord]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I didn't read the whole thread, so if I'm repeating something that someone else has already mentioned I apologize in advance.

Several years ago I was listening to Coast to Coast and they were talking about the link between all the school shootings (Columbine etc.) and anti-depressants. Interestingly enough, the theory at the time was that rather than treating these kids that were on them, the drugs caused them to literally act out their own worst nightmares.

The media was keeping the information hush-hush that every single kid who committed this type of crime has actually been on anti-depressants.

If I'm remembering correctly, it is the opium based ones.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

What kind of anti-depressants are opium-based?
Maybe the real thing that they are trying to cover up, is that most of them are under a Gov't Mind control program. I have seen many ppl benefit greatly from anti-depressants. Read my above post.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
There could also be a psychological effect of taking the pills too, not what's in it, but the fact you take it everyday, reminds you of the fact that you are depressed, therefore makes it harder to get over it, because you are offically depressed, and the pills remind you of that and makes you more depressed.

I would recommend using your MIND to heal your depression, it's hard but it's the best way.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by sizzle
What kind of anti-depressants are opium-based?
Maybe the real thing that they are trying to cover up, is that most of them are under a Gov't Mind control program. I have seen many ppl benefit greatly from anti-depressants. Read my above post.

Good question - I'm honestly not sure. Like I said, it was several years ago that I listened to the program so I may be wrong. It may be worth Googling though.

I have a friend who has benefited from an anti-depressant, but I also think that Doctors are too quick to write a prescription for them. And, people are too quick to go looking for a magic pill to solve their problems. Look at kids with ADHD. Back in the day, they were just "Active Kids" and now every kid who's active has ADHD and is prescribed drugs they probably don't even need.

I have lots of opinions on this... I'm NOT a fan of drug companies and I think it's rooted in greed - but I think I'll zippit now.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
I would recommend using your MIND to heal your depression, it's hard but it's the best way.

I'm with you there. The only thing I would add is Faith and Trust in God.

Has anyone ever considered the link between depression and a Godless society?

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   

Did you ever hear of clinical depression? That is when a person is beyond normal coping capabilities.

There could also be a psychological effect of taking the pills too, not what's in it, but the fact you take it everyday, reminds you of the fact that you are depressed, therefore makes it harder to get over it, because you are offically depressed, and the pills remind you of that and makes you more depressed.

How can I say this nicely? Sometimes it amazes me what ppl come up with.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   

LOL! That was much nicer than the first time.

It's true that there are chemical imbalances and clinical depressions - those are the people who actually could benefit from the drugs. But there aren't 40 million cases of those either and those who aren't clinically depressed are the people I refer to - and maybe that Phoenix was too.

[edit on 29-2-2008 by ReginaAdonnaAaron]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Did you ever hear of clinical depression? That is when a person is beyond normal coping capabilities.

Yes I believe I have been through that, from reading the symptons. It's hard.

I would hate it to be a life long thing that can happen to some people.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonnaAaron

I'm with you there. The only thing I would add is Faith and Trust in God.

Has anyone ever considered the link between depression and a Godless society?

There are a lot of Christians who might be offended at that statement. I know for a fact that it is possible to be born again and be depressed. Not everyone has attained the same amount of enlightenment. And there are just moments that life is too much and maybe we let our guard down. And there are those that have no problem believing in healing for others but may feel selfish in believing for it for themselves.
There is no black-and-white here. There are many shades of gray, and maybe that is why we are asked not to judge.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

There are a lot of Christians who might be offended at that statement. I know for a fact that it is possible to be born again and be depressed. Not everyone has attained the same amount of enlightenment. And there are just moments that life is too much and maybe we let our guard down. And there are those that have no problem believing in healing for others but may feel selfish in believing for it for themselves. There is no black-and-white here. There are many shades of gray, and maybe that is why we are asked not to judge.

That's true too. I know that for me personally, bouts of depression or difficult times in my life have been made easier for me to get through now that I've built a personal relationship with God based on trust and faith. Life just isn't easy, period. There's no getting around that. But having God to talk to and lean on does make it easier - but I've also been very blessed with the level of enlightenment that has been shared with me. I realize that many won't agree with me, but that's just my personal opinion...

I also agree on the not judging. It's much better to just pray.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

LOL! That was much nicer than the first time.

It's true that there are chemical imbalances and clinical depressions - those are the people who actually could benefit from the drugs. But there aren't 40 million cases of those either and those who aren't clinically depressed are the people I refer to - and maybe that Phoenix was too.

You'll have to forgive me. This is a bit of a sensitive subject with me. I have had dear friends and family members who have been through these things and still going thru. I suffered a short bout myself. I have worked in this environment, and sorry, but it infuriates me for ppl to make assumptions.
As I said above there are a lot of gray areas. Not everyone on them; should be. But praise God, it's there if they do.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

You'll have to forgive me. This is a bit of a sensitive subject with me. I have had dear friends and family members who have been through these things and still going thru. I suffered a short bout myself. I have worked in this environment, and sorry, but it infuriates me for ppl to make assumptions. As I said above there are a lot of gray areas. Not everyone on them; should be. But praise God, it's there if they do.

It's quite alright, I completely understand.
*hugs*

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ReginaAdonnaAaron

Regina,
I apologize. Apparently, I'm not myself. I am not usually so snappy or opinionated. I'm going to ake a posting break and do something less stressful. Apologies to Phoenix also.
I really do wish that a lot more people would get educated on mental illnesses. You don't know how many folks I've seen that nearly took their lives rather than seek help. Because they didn't want the label of being mentally ill. Maybe some aren't where they should be, spiritually, but I believe that we need to keep them alive until they are.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Regina,
I apologize. Apparently, I'm not myself. I am not usually so snappy or opinionated. I'm going to ake a posting break and do something less stressful. Apologies to Phoenix also. I really do wish that a lot more people would get educated on mental illnesses. You don't know how many folks I've seen that nearly took their lives rather than seek help. Because they didn't want the label of being mentally ill. Maybe some aren't where they should be, spiritually, but I believe that we need to keep them alive until they are.

Take a deep breath my friend - prayers coming your way. May Father's Holy Spirit come upon you and calm you and soothe your heart and mind. Amen. Get some rest, 'k? *hugs*

An interesting ARTICLE I just stumbled upon that actually goes along with this discussion.

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
This is a chicken or egg type of issue.

People who are depressed are likely these days to be treated with medication.

People who are depressed are more likely to commit suicide.

Also, this article comes from a "natural health" source, so they're not likely to be unbiased.

There is a risk when taking psychotropic drugs and there is evidence that they are over used, but when faced with depressed patients who are demanding relief, MDs are not likely to send them off with a sympathetic, "Now, now. It'll all get better in time."

That really is a way to get nailed with a malpractice lawsuit.

It's easy to blame "Big Pharma", but it is probably impossible to tally just how many lives have been saved by anti-depressants.

As with everything, society is doing it's best to cope with myriad problems and when you consider how far we've come just since the turn of the last century, not to mention since our speciation, we're coming along, even if there is a long way to go.

[edit on 2008/2/29 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Feb, 29 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Look at kids with ADHD. Back in the day, they were just "Active Kids" and now every kid who's active has ADHD and is prescribed drugs they probably don't even need.

Back in the day, they were "bad kids" and "devil kids" and subjected to all sorts of horrid corporal punishments they really didn't need and rarely worked anyway. Meanwhile the truly bad kids (who helped police the schools) also beat up the "devil kids".

posted on Mar, 1 2008 @ 06:44 AM
link   
reply to post by The time lord

I heard rumours that the culprit in that movie was actually plants. Modified pollens or something like that.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join