It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia to lobby US for access to stealth fighters.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Australia to lobby US for access to stealth fighters.

au.news.yahoo.com

CANBERRA (AFP) - Australia will push the United States to lift a ban on exporting the F-22 stealth fighter, Defence Minister Joel Fitzgibbon said after ministerial talks with his US counterparts here Saturday.

Fitzgibbon said he wanted the F-22 to be part of a review of Australia's air defences he ordered after his centre-left Labor government was elected last November.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:27 AM
link   
I know this subject has been discussed here on ATS, but i think this is new.

Interesting that Australia wants to maintain Air superiority over the northern neighbours, but i wonder if it is becuase of the threat from china? Does anybody know if China actually made a threat?

au.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Mrt Gates wants to get rid of the F22 after the 183 are made and shove teh F35 down everyone throats - have a look at his history to see why

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 07:40 AM
link   
I don't think China is really a concern at this point for Australia, moreso the fact that Indonesia and Malaysia are arming themselves with current generation Russian fighters that are as good as or better than Australia's current Airforce. One of the pillars of Australia's defence policy is to maintain its technological edge over its near neighbours...

posted on Feb, 23 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Why invade Australia when you can buy it for half price?

PS The United States says it might have to build a special export version of the Raptor fighter plane if the aircraft is sold to Australia. (and japan wants them too). www.abc.net.au...

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
Mrt Gates wants to get rid of the F22 after the 183 are made and shove teh F35 down everyone throats - have a look at his history to see why

As I said in the other thread...

The Deputy Sec. Def. Gordon England, not Gates wants to "kill" the F-22 program. Gates, the USAF, POTUS, and the US Congress all want to keep the line open and the possibility for a larger order available. As for an "export version", well that's a given, it would still be superior to anything else in the region though.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Perhaps the Japanese and Australians should coordinate their lobbying, as they are both pretty keenly interested in the Raptor.

I really think the export ban ought to be reconsidered, if nothing else it will keep the production lines open in case the USAF is able to fund more.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Isn't that just great...all fine and dandy.

Contrary to what some may think, there are very intelligent Australians who could build these. It just pees me off that our politicians crawl up the arse of America, bow and scrape, kneel and boot lick.

We will break NEVER away from the USA. I want us to stand on our own two feet and pave our OWN destiny.

posted on Feb, 24 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WestPoint23

i found the link (and put it in the other thread) mr gates reprimanded a 4 star for saying the airforce was to be getting the 380 odd - and that he only ordered 4 in next years budget , and the line starts closing in october - so whilst gordon england is vocally opposed to the F22 - Gates isn`t as supportive as you think IMO.

new topics

top topics

join