It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Funny how anything new never gets discussed much here

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

Yup. The UGC (user generated content) is semi intelligent by bringing the most interesting (to the membership) items to the top of the list. As membership changes, or items become more or less interesting, they naturally evolve their way up or down.
But even the most esoteric of discussions are still in the mix somewhere, and a search will find them. If enough people are interested, your particular topic of interest will rise.
Sort of a gestalt rating system.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Sorry if this is a stupid question. I notice above every post there is often a star or sometimes 5 or 6 what do these mean and who puts them there?
Again sorry if its a really stupid question.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by freddieb

I had a recent topic, and I was not attacked in the least. In fact I was helped quite a bit in my experiment. Of course the "experience" I had that was included in that topic didn't receive any comments. But that includes "attacks" as well.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There are a lot of strict rules here at ATS and they do stifle community action.

So, while new topics do get discussed, very little new action is taken...

It is a problem but I am working towards a solution.

If Ron Paul can get activists polarized - why not someone from our own Ufology community?

I think there is great untaped grassroots potential there - but any attempts to organize at ATS will get members banned.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by TruthMagnet]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I think there is a limit to what someone can post without risking his/her health in the process. I might be somewhat paranoid but I have learned not to trust people on the internet especially when discussing information government(s) may not want average folks to know. Basically the people that do know more than others probably feel intimidated and either don't say anything from fear of reprisals or substantially water down the info.

I have no proof of this but it seems one must dig this forumn and other forumns forever just to dig up a few gold nuggets. Even then you don't fully believe the author and what he says because a lot of stuff is far fetched or contradicts what you read somewhere else. I can't speak for others...although sometimes it seems I am.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:29 AM
link   
[Mod Edit: Please do not spam the forums. Please see Terms and Conditions of Use section 1h. Thank you - Jak]

[edit on 20/2/08 by JAK]

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
You haven't been reading my threads man. I contribute something new everyday!

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Personally, I want something solid to discuss about. There was a time perioid in my life once, in which I could have had endless discussions about these matters. Time however has taken its toll, as today I need something to back everything up.

I'm willing to do speculative talking all around, but I'm not willing to mark myself as a tinfoilhat radical who just cannot figure out to change one's own opinion when all evidence is against.

Of course I would love to talk with exolopoltics, reasons of alien visitations, conspiracies and coverups.. But frankly, reading a good sci-fi book gives me a lot more in that field.

You see, all that have been sighted have already been discussed. This is a very bold statement and I am aware of it. I just don't have the energy to discuss about Roswell the 20th time again. There's nothing new in those subjects. I just wait for this field to evolve, and then I start those discussions again.

I know that my attitude and patterns of thought are somewhat destrucive when laid down to people who have just encountered such matters that are discussed here, but it really is not my intention to do so.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Does any one else experience "computer problems" while on ATS? The main page will come on, I'll log on and then the connection goes. Sometimes I'll be posting on a thread and the connection goes. This only happens on ATS. Maybe its due to it being such a large site but its really annoying.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr Green

Not sure how this is on topic but I will add, the only problem I tend to have is the post times per thread fluctuating.

One refresh a given time will be "Last post 4 min ago" upon another refresh it states "Last post 36 min ago". Entering the thread shows that the true last post was under a minute ago" I assume this was just a time issue with the updating. For example, they update the time of last post every 10 minutes. Either way, small beans in my opinion.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
If anyone experiences a problem whether it is in this forum, or about the entire forum itself, feel free to send me a u2u.

I will try help you out.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by gotrox

The UGC (user generated content) is semi intelligent by bringing the most interesting (to the membership) items to the top of the list. As membership changes, or items become more or less interesting, they naturally evolve their way up or down...Sort of a gestalt rating system.

This is really quite a profound statement, Gotrox. (It is something obvious, but not ever discussed.) The parallel between commonly accepted memory models of human beings, and the operation of the ATS forums is really quite remarkable.

Semi-intelligent? Maybe more than that! You mentioned "gestalt" -- Who can say where consciousness lives?

(Weird! Perhaps true!)

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by freddieb
I've been a member here for a couple of years now.
It has always struck me as strange that when any thing new in this "UFO" topic gets brought up here, it is immediately attacked for lack of credibility and the subjects tha continue the same age old circles like, "Roswell" and Area 51, reptiles, and greys get huge amounts of comment.
I'm not accusing anyone of purposely keeping new ideas in this area down. But it does seem strange that we don't seem to want to hear anything but the old song and dance tunes.
I don't want to get into a debate or listing of "put down " topics. I'm just making an observation.
Now I see that only 6500 characters allowed per post. I must be getting paranoid

Yep it seems the norm here at times too insult and try too run off anything other than accepted material. The past two years has seen quite an influx of Debunk Malice.
I mean why come to a forum dedicated too the subjects of Myth's,UFO's,Conspiracies etc... If you think every ones sighting,opinion,belief,proof or whatever is sheer bunk too begin with.
Debunks in general resort too attacks and bulling for others too "see it their way"
While most posters of these subjects hardly try too incite others the same way too their terms of belief.
Lots of good posts or new contributors get shell shocked by some of our Flame throwing non believers.

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Throbber
reply to post by freddieb

The reason for why you see so many commonplace questions is simple;

People like their ATS points.

What does having alot of ATS points get you? Free sea monkeys? A pepperoni pizza? I lost 600 of em for a joke about jello. Is there a certain number you have to lose and then you just get banned? How does this work?

posted on Feb, 20 2008 @ 01:59 PM
link   
What "new" stuff are you talking about? New images and video are discussed thoroughly, examined, and researched to discover if they are a hoax or not. As for people that come on here to say they were taken aboard a spaceship and became buddy-buddy with some Greys, what can we say? Roswell has so much evidence that it's a topic that won't ever die. A story is just a story, we don't know the person and there's nothing to back up what he is saying. What do you expect?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join