It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The meaning of life. (To me.)

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I understand your point and again, no offense taken. i hope I dont offend you in any way either.
I guess I am a little biased but I try to base it mostly on logic (75% logic 25% faith)
the most logical thing for me to do when asking myself "what is the purpose of life?" I have to ask myself "where did life come from?" in that matter, where did this world come from... and with that, there are only two ways to answer that question. I feel that the answers I provided before are the only two answers. either someone made the world or the world made itself. you have to start simple and add to it. you have to start with black and white and then add the color (bad analogy probably but im sure you get my point)
thats just my personal opinion. I feel it is very logical, but feel free to disagree.
i mean if you know of another way the earth got here let me know, but those are the only two I can think of and thats why I ask that question first.

Peace!

posted on Feb, 17 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Methuselah

Like I said in my initial post.
What if our reality wasn't created by anything.
It was like an organism and grew and matured like, well, all organisms (not to mention reproduce).
Not by chance.
Not by the designs of some other being.

I guess I am a little biased but I try to base it mostly on logic (75% logic 25% faith) the most logical thing for me to do when asking myself "what is the purpose of life?" I have to ask myself "where did life come from?" in that matter, where did this world come from... and with that, there are only two ways to answer that question.

And there is an implied insult there, kindly avoid doing so again.
I used logic for my ideas. Funny thing is logic is not some endless well of ultimate knowledge. Logic is a straight line. You can argue something completely false and still be perfectly logical.
And I can think of any number of possibilities.
Not just the tired old creation versus evolution

[edit on 17-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Like I said in my initial post.
What if our reality wasn't created by anything.
It was like an organism and grew and matured like, well, all organisms (not to mention reproduce).
Not by chance.
Not by the designs of some other being.

kinda goes against the against the first two laws of thermo dynamics doesnt it? jk, im not sure I quite understood what you meant by this section here.

dude I wasnt trying to insult you, im simply trying to present another side. I do agree with some of your initial post. I do think that humans have become too dependant upon their own creation that destroying the creation would destroy humanity, or at least the ones who depend on it, which is pretty much everyone.

your concept I find to be very interesting, very deep more of an abstract scene more than something real. this is of course what I comprehend from it, im not saying its wrong Ijust see it a little different than you wrote it. but hey I still give you props for writing such a post. sounds like something outside of the box either way which to me is a good thing. almost like poetry.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Oh then I apologize.
Have had to many people call me stupid/not logical/whatever else passive aggressively (sometimes I actually miss good ole plain jane aggression when dealing with some) on this site so it put me a bit on guard.
Not a good excuse of course but its the only reason I have.

Yea I do admit my views can seem a bit out there.
But the basis of it is "I think realities are a form of life and we are in a way fetus/infant realities.". That it in a nutshell but NOT a very good one.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:17 AM
link   
just for the record i must say that it was a very interesting read and well worth it. kind of brought my thinkin to a whole new level. kinda like i said before, to an abstract level of viewing reality. i have this image now stuck in my head that I cant explain. i do however only see this as a metaphor but a very good one.

no worries, people think my ideas are stupid all the time. most of the time its not just my ideas, its shared ideas, logical ideas with supporting facts but are willingly forgotten or ignored. frustrates me a lot at times, but hey, its all good. not everyone has the same logic as I or you. everyone is entitled to their own beliefs. and I leave it at that.

[edit on 18-2-2008 by Methuselah]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Well the factors that make me say that are
1) I believe we have a soul. I believe every living thing has a soul.
2) I believe in the end our soul is basically our consciousness. The part that even knows we exist at all.
3) I believe that there is some truth to some of the strange abilities of our mind. But when I say "we are baby gods/realities" is that we don't have power over this one. But our abilities do sort of very weakly show through.
4) I believe what most people call "god" is simply the consciousness of this reality. Though we bury it in cultural stuff and the control freaks/power mongers bury it in even more stuff.
5) I believe all this talk of hierarchal or levels of perfection of souls is more of us as an animal pushing our beliefs off on the world.
6) And since I believe that nature forshadows somewhat the here after I took it to the next level and believe that realities themselves are a creature of sorts. Though one we will never understand in the flesh.

Ever seen that Robin Williams movie "What Dreams May Come"?
I highly recommend it if you have not seen it.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Our purpose in life is exactly the same as every other organism: reproduction.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:46 AM
link   
Life is like one of those tests that you're given an amount of time to compleat. Some people don't care so they just bubble in C all the way down. Some people think they know all the answers so they just rush through it. Some people stop and think in retrospection upon every question in relationship to the other questions. When the test is done it will be graded.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Naboo the Enigma

If you want to believe that by all means do so.
I for one think theres more to it.
Could be wrong but eh. I am after all just a human. For now.
Muahhahahahhahaha =)
No one truly knows whats beyond death's gates. =)

reply to post by Incarnated

By yourself. Minus the ability to cheat for yourself.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by WraothAscendant

No one truly knows whats beyond death's gates. =)

True, but I have always found it much more comforting to think that there is nothing after death, it puts life into perspective.

[edit on 18/2/08 by Naboo the Enigma]

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 04:50 AM
link   

I sure don't.
But I do still live by carpe diem.
Would hate to waste a life time regardless.

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   

True, but I have always found it much more comforting to think that there is nothing after death, it puts life into perspective.

yeah believing that there is no after life is very comforting because you are accountable to no one after death. only thing is, what if you are wrong?

thoughts?

posted on Feb, 18 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Thing is that argument can be flipped.
What if you live your life that one day you'll be called to account and what if it turns out your wrong?

I think what is in order with that particular debate is a willingness to accept and respect the other person's choice.

Especially considering that both sides don't have evidence the other side considers conclusive. But that particular side sure thinks so.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Methuselah

What if you are wrong?

I'm not!

The absence of an afterlife is comforting to me not because I can divest myself of responibility or accountability for my actions, quite the opposite, in fact. The feeling that I don't have to appease some higher being or conform to particular rituals allows me to take complete responsibility for my actions because I am not being told what to do by anyone, nor am I expected to conform. If I mess up I have no-one to blame but myself.

*Smug mode on*

I lead a moral life, I support my family and friends and give to charity, I help other people where possible and all of my own free will.

*Smug mode off*

Religion does not hold a monopoly on morals.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Erm Naboo..........

I lead a moral life, I support my family and friends and give to charity, I help other people where possible and all of my own free will.

That line right there applies to me.
Yet I believe in a afterlife.
The life review I believe in is not the reason I try to be the best person I can be.
I do it because it makes me feel good about me in the here and now.
But that is one thing you don't and can't know about me.
I am a very impulsive person. Rarely do I look ahead in a few types of situations, yet other times I think too much ahead, makes me wonder about myself sometimes.
I am firmly planted in the here and now.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Religion does not hold a monopoly on morals.

Following the 10 commandments seems to lead a very moral life.
And the two that Jesus commanded,
Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul mind and strength.
Love your neighbor as youself.
Jesus taught forgiveness, Jesus taught service, Jesus taught faith.

very very moral. how could one disagree?

and I can agree that doing good to/for others does make one feel good about themselves and perhaps whoever they helped. which then makes them want to do it more often.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 06:11 AM
link   

This one is a great device for control if twisted by those that are so inclined to do so for their gain.

That and I can't believe a god that would hold that sort of gun to our spiritual heads.

[edit on 19-2-2008 by WraothAscendant]

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Methuselah

Following the 10 commandments seems to lead a very moral life.
And the two that Jesus commanded,
Love your neighbor as yourself.
Jesus taught forgiveness, Jesus taught service, Jesus taught faith.

very very moral. how could one disagree?

Very moral indeed, except for the bits about serving/loving god or having faith - these are neither moral nor amoral. It should be obvious that you do not have to be religious to follow a moral path, to love your neighbours, support the needy and do what is right. Are you suggesting that without the moral teachings that the church provides you would quite cheerfully rape, pillage and murder?

Incidentally I, and many atheists, agree with Jesus' moral teachings, if not his religious ones, and I point you in the direction of:

www.atheists-for-jesus.com...

For many years, the stated purpose of this site has been to promote a dialog between religious and non-religious people who share a common vision of Jesus as an individual of tremendous compassion; a true advocate of "Peace on Earth"; and a staunch supporter of the poor and suffering people who are all too often ignored by prosperous societies.

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
so the only real difference between Christians and Athiests are that christians believe that through Jesus Christ there is eternal life through faith, Athiests just believe that Jesus Christ was a normal man who had good teachings.

is this correct?

posted on Feb, 19 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Thats by ignoring certain other aspects and the general anamosity between both groups at large.
Of course this does not include all that call themselves Atheists or Christians.
Blanket statements are generally wrong.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join