It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops to be given flashlight that 'incapacitates' from Homeland security

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by welivefortheson

I agree that it is very bothersome to see all that has to go into crowd control. It is even more bothersome to feel like a sheep being herded and controlled with no choice on what to do; however, if this serves as a safer alternative to commonly used tasers, I'm all for it.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
A summary:

disorienting flashlight
taser guns
taser bullets
active denial system
holographic sound

Anymore? I read an article last week about research the Pentagon is doing that will harness the "smell" of fear. In other words, they are developing pheromone-like chemical compounds that, when released in a crowd, will produce an over-whelming sense of fear that will cause everyone to disperse/runaway. I can't find the link but I am still looking.

Violent crime stats have steadily been dropping for the past ten years, no matter what you have been led to believe by sensational stories pimped by the PTB and the LameStreamMedia. So one can only guess about the real reason for all of these weapons. It's not as if people are running around insane and rabid in the streets. One day maybe...

[edit on 6/2/08 by kosmicjack]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Here's the link:

‏wired

American military researchers are working to uncover and harness the most terrifying chemical imaginable: that most primal odor, the scent of fear.

Pheromones are chemicals released by animals as signals to their own kind: for sex, for territorial marking, and more. They're often detected in the olfactory membranes. But there's more to pheromones than attraction. Many animals have an alarm pheromone which is used to signal danger; aphids, for example, use it to cause their fellow lice to flee.

Now, the US Army is trying to track down and harness people's smell of fear. The military has backed a study on the "Identification and Isolation of Human Alarm Pheromones," which "focused on the Preliminary Identification of Steroids of Interest in Human Fear Sweat." The so-called "skydiving protocol" was the researchers' method of choice.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
That's weak.

What's better is using a kick ass flamethrower that can be definitely used to control crowds and riots and such.

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.
Mod Note: Please Stay on Topic

[edit on 7-2-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
I guess we'll just have to carry mirrors with us when we protest from now on.

Would that reflect any light source, microwave emmiter, or directed energy weapon?

Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

The more important question is will it be used on folks that aren't protesting anything? Everyone that's expressing concern for non-lethal weapons, and their use on the general population, seems to equate protests with the remainder of the population(those who are at work), being at risk.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I know I will probably get flamed for this, but this really does not bother me. I think that is because I am not under the assumption that our government is trying to control my life. I am not scared for a police state or NWO world take over. I do not get pulled over, and I do not congregate in large crowds. The chances of me ever getting this light shined in my eyes are slim to none.

Having said that, if in the future I do start protesting and getting in altercations with police officers, I would much rather they shine this in my eyes then shoot me with a Taser or spray me with chemicals. That is just my feeling though as I am kind of a sissy

I will also say I fully agree that officers should do the testing of this device. If they are going to be the ones given the responsibility to use it, they should decide if it is safe for the rest of us. The whole "don't ask someone to do something you aren't willing to do yourself" thing.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by sputniksteve]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81
Scary though that they're going to start 'field tests' with officers. I hope they test the CRAP out of those things before that happens.

I hope they test it on the officers.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Cops have to be pepper sprayed and Tazered before they can carry/use them, so I imagine there won't be any difference in this case. If you don't know what the effects are personally, you're not gonna feel particulary confident in a piece of equipment(i.e. "you want me to engage angry protesters with a flashlight? Does this thing really work, or am I gonna get my butt kicked?")

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

Touche. I just hope they remember how it feels when they use it.

Seems like a lot of the cops who are taser happy have forgotten how it actually feels.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I guess nobody has even thought about countering
this device with UV- Sunglasses which acts as a shield.
The same kind of glasses used by wielders.

Also, IOS intends on selling it to the public by 2010.
OK, now we have something to stop the cops with.

Or better yet, install one on the back of your car
and never get a speeding ticket

LOL, homeland security will probably make it a felony
for this device to be used against law enforcement.

when will the dumba$$es realize no matter what devices
they concoct it's not gonna stop someone from doing
what they wanna do. With all the gadgets, it just makes it
easier for them to do it with the same weapons the cops use.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SimonSays
when will the dumba$$es realize no matter what devices
they concoct it's not gonna stop someone from doing
what they wanna do. With all the gadgets, it just makes it
easier for them to do it with the same weapons the cops use.

IMO, these devices aren't for the criminals. They are for the law abiding citizens who use their freedom of speech that the elite don't want to hear from.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:49 PM
link   
This is the perfect herding tool to make sure people stay in the "free speech zones" that our gov likes to establish around their speakers. Anybody not familiar with what I'm talking about, run a quick search on "Free speech zones". You're free to protest, as long as it's at a distance that nobody of importance sees or hears. What a joke.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Perhaps because knowing what it really feels like vs. other methods that have higher incidence of injury(to the suspect, bystanders, or the police officer), is why they're aren't as hesitant, as some here would like. Additionally there have been some melodramatic incidents where folks have put themselves in situations where they were likely to get Tazered(and videotaped), for the purpose of trying give the appearance that there's widespread lack of restraint on force.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Well looks like its time to create a new type of sun glasses that dim the light from LED's.

Seriously tho, Brandi Hitt did not look incapacitated and I highly doubt this would help in a riot situation or against a charging attacker.

But I could be wrong.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective
This is the perfect herding tool to make sure people stay in the "free speech zones" that our gov likes to establish around their speakers. Anybody not familiar with what I'm talking about, run a quick search on "Free speech zones". You're free to protest, as long as it's at a distance that nobody of importance sees or hears. What a joke.

Do you feel that in the name of freedom of speech that anyone should be able to disrupt any event that they want, whenever they want? What about the freedom of speech of those, whom the protesters are trying to shout over?

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I think non-lethal weapons are a good idea. I can handle a little "disorientation" from some fancy flashlight much better than a hollowpoint to my cranium.

BtW I saw a documentary there cops were tazed as a part of protocol that allows them to carry them. All I can say... Ouch!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kosmicjack

The statistics regarding crime have been manipulated by the government. There is as much violent crime as there ever was. I have a relative in the business and I know for a fact that the streets out there are very ugly.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

People SHOULD be able to sit across the street and protest policies or war-supporting candidates that they do not agree with. Their voice should have a right to be heard-Not herded off a few blocks away into irrelevancy. Do I think they should be able to burst into a building or block off an entrance? No, not necessarily.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
So, nobody wants cops to use: guns, tasers, flashlights or look at them the wrong way.

What would the people like for cops to use on disorderly people? Nothing?

How would people like a cop to handle someone who wont listen to them...or freaks out...or starts attacking them or someone else? Nothing and just walk away?

Should people be allowed to commit crimes and run amuck and nothing happen? Because this is what it seems like.

Since so many people here dont like the equipment being used by cops.....then what is your solution to dealing w/ people who are breaking a law?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join