It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops to be given flashlight that 'incapacitates' from Homeland security

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   

Cops to be given flashlight that 'incapacitates' from Homeland security

cbs13.com

LOS ANGELES (CBS13) ― It looks like a normal flashlight, but Homeland Security has paid close to a million dollars for it. It can stop you right in your tracks.

Law enforcement is already calling it "controversial."

The point of this device is to disorient you, so we modified the video when we showed it on air. If you wish to see the unmodified footage of the device in action, you can click here -- but be warned, you may find the experience uncomfortable.

For riots and chaotic situations, police often use tasers, rubber bullets and pepper spray to try and control the crowd. But there could soon be a new weapon in their arsenal: a hi-tech flashlight with a big punch.

"Flashblindness, the 'Oh my gosh this light is really bright, I can't see anything behind it.' That effect is immediate for everybody," said Bob Lieberman, president of Intelligent Optical Systems.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Awesome. Get ready for the new 'peace demonstration dispersal tool' for TPTB...Barbecuing folks with tasers wasn't enough, now you get to have your corneas burned out by law enforcement. Heh

cbs13.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
what happens when this doent work? it kinda reminds me of a handheld strobe light. the video I watched claimed that it may be disturbing to some people I wonder if this flashlight will ever induce a siezure?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Free will and freedom is gone it seems...
Microwave guns now this, how long before shock implants?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 10:22 PM
link   
So now we have another "non lethal" weapon. I have to wonder what effects it will have when it is put into use on the general population. At first no one thought Tasers were dangerous until they became widely used. Now we know they can in fact kill people.

Sadly this weapon will not be used simply on Rioters, looters, etc. I would bet my left arm that it will be used on Peace Protesters, Animal Activist and Political Protesters.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Well, I for one am going to really hope this works as they say. I think it's brilliant. It will keep cops further away from their tasers and guns.

Now we just need to see if anybody CAN in fact go blind or suffer any other serious effects from it.

Misuse and over-use though are also big fears. I guess time will tell.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Sadly this weapon will not be used simply on Rioters, looters, etc. I would bet my left arm that it will be used on Peace Protesters, Animal Activist and Political Protesters.

That's EXACTLY what it's designed for. Homeland Security is issuing it, and we know how they feel about war / political protesters. It's the perfect police-state control tool to disrupt dissent among the masses. Things are getting more and more disturbing in these times.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Brilliant? I can understand your line of thinking, but try telling that to the first person who does go blind or suffer some kind of life changing injury due to the use of this weapon. I would bet if given a choice they would roll the dice and take a Taser shot instead.

Sometimes I am amazed at all the "non lethal" weapons and I can not help but think back to the words of John Titor. Hoax or not, you can't help but notice how certain things seem to be ringing true as time continues to roll on by.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I didn't think I was particularly subject to the powers of suggestion, but 10 minutes after just watching the video clip, I actually feel mildly sick.

I actually came back to this thread to see if I'm the only one????

Am I??????

EDIT: Ok, I'll take the star to mean you didn't want to identify yourself and that 'yes' you feel mildly sick too.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by loam]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I watched the unmodified version as well, I'm not sure what the big deal is. I don't feel disoriented. I'm assuming that seeing it in real life is much greater than the video. I wonder what the measurable difference between this light and a very bright one are.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Just carry a big mirror. problem solved.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
This is retarted. Any cop can tell you that they already have the equipment and have been using this tactic for a long time. That's why they have the big spot-lights and flashing lights on the squad-car. To disorient and subliminally freighten anyone they pull over. Especially now with the LED lights on most units, that flash from a wide variety of mounting positions, in a variety of pulsating patterns that are programmable by the user. I can't even drive by someone else who got pulled over without suffering from slight disorientation, and spotty night-vision for miles on down the road.

Ever wonder why your heart starts racing after you get pulled over? Are you really that scared of the inspection ticket? No, you are being affected by the lights, and the social psychology being implemented to view law-enforcement with fear, not as community servants.

P.S. I have an elevated heart-rate now after watching un-modified version.

[edit on 2/6/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I would also like to note a further observation.

Here in NY State it is illegal for the police to use blue flashing lights on their cruisers, because blue lights are exclusively reserved for volunteer firefighters. Despite this, in the past year or so, most cruisers are employing blue lights along with the traditional red on their vehicles. The reason for this is that the brain has difficulty interpreting the opposing light frequencies, enhancing the disorientation.

According to David Icke, this red-light blue-light effect has been used on abductees for a long time. So perhaps that's where they got the idea.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Well obviously it would be catastrophic for that to happen.

I'm sure it still has LOTS of tests to go through. We'll see how it goes, but it COULD be a safer alternative.

Scary though that they're going to start 'field tests' with officers. I hope they test the CRAP out of those things before that happens.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   
you can get/create your own handheld sunbeam and presumably fight back if thats what you want

The Maxablaster is a 38-million-candlepower flashlight that was made at home by (mad?) optics engineer Ralf Ottow. Replacing a commercial flashlight's bulb with a plasma-powered mercury arc bulb, the Maxablaster creates a highly focused beam of light with a high UV content not so different from a star.

the Maxblaster - a flashlight powered by 54 batteries, capable of producing a beam of light four miles long.

Link

Link

Link

please do read the links

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:00 AM
link   
Time for countermeasures. I'm thinking some sort of modified welding goggles. They could shut down the random light waves and severely reduce the effects of this stupid light.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
The US is in a sad state of affairs. Since 911, we have to think about ``counter-mesures`` against the FEDs to PROTEST, to use our first amendment! This is DISGUSTING. They are waging war on our ability to use our freedoms.

Here something new from Taser...

here it is, it's a shotgun with taser shells... training the police to shoot crowds with ``fake bullets`` but when martial law comes, they will be used to the feeling of shooting crowds... and they will do it with real bullets without thinking. THAT'S PSYCHOLOGICAL TRAINING.

[edit on 6-2-2008 by Vitchilo]

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Very well said. I have been saying for a while now that we are under attack, not by foreign combatants, but by our own government. We are being stripped more and more of our civil liberties and rights, and being put into a very dire situation here. These people want absolute control and dominance over the population. I hope we can wake up as a nation and stop it before it's completely too late.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
This kind of sounds like the "sick sticks" in the movie Minority Report. Don't eat before you go out in public if you plan to be naughty.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
what on earth is going on!?

the amount of new gadgetry being bought to control crowds seems to suggest america is seething with riots and rabid citizens tearing the place apart!,but it isnt!

why are they doing this?,they must be expecting riots and such to happen,or there making a buddy who developed/bought this tech rich.

yes mirrors would be handy

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join