It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Generations Becoming Less Religious

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Here are the statistics I found from another website:

members.aol.com...

It shows that as newer generations are being more influenced by technology, they seem to recoil from religion and coerce with the material world. What's surprising from this survey is that on 4% of the 17 yearolds in 1998 are christians.
The reliability of this study is unknown, I do not even know if this was conducted. However the percentages do seem to add up with the older people constituting the majority of Christians. I can see an atheist dominated society in about 20 years.

Believers by Generation (all denominations)

In a 1998 survey of 6000 people, with 1300-1500 people in each of the generational categories listed below, the following percentages of each generation identified themselves as Christian.

GI and Silent generations - born before 1926, and 1927-45, respectively - 65% Christian

Baby Boom - born 1946-64 - 35% Christian

Gen X (baby bust) - born 1965-76 - 15% Christian

Older Bridgers (age 17+) - born 1976-81 - 4% Christian

The same survey showed that 83% of those who become Christians do so before age 20.

[edit on 2/5/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
One thing I guess to flag here- Christianity does not equal Religion in general does not equal spirituality.

So you could have less Christians more other religions less spiritual or less overall members of organised religions more spiritual...

Or less of everything and a civilised world where people are becoming slaves to machines.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
But do realize that the majority of Americans are Christian, and we all know that America detests Islam.

[edit on 2/5/2008 by die_another_day]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
People in general are becoming less religious and more spiritual.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Other than the islamic Americans? Seems like a bit of a generalisation that will lead us astray in this day and age.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by die_another_day

I raised my children to make their own choice. They chose spirituality over religion.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Ok, I made a mistake there, but you guys know what I'm trying to get at right? There are less and less Christians.

Sorry if I offended any of you in a certain way.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Yes I know what you are trying to say and yes I agree that there are fewer christians in this country. Is that a bad thing?

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:17 PM
link   

I fail to see this as a 'conspiracy' and find this to be a great thing.

A world without organized religion would be wonderful.

You don't have to be a follower of "The Way" and go to church or read the bible.

"The Way" is the Middle Way, same as Buddhism.

People are waking up more and more. They no longer need a few thousand year old dogmatic belief system to use as their moral compass.

God is a personal connection between everything. You do not need to read about it in a book or "feel" it in a place of worship.

Yes I called God an IT because it is neither male nor female, and both at the same time.

We are reaching the dawn of a new era, one where humans recognize truth comes in many different forms and places.

There are many truths in all religions, and when people come to realize that, the world will be at peace.

[edit on 2/5/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

There are many truths in all religions, and when people come to realize that, the world will be at peace.

[edit on 2/5/2008 by biggie smalls]

Word.

Yeah the issue is whether people are less (or more) spiritual than "before" or whether this is just a normal fluctuating change.

Doesn't have to directly be part of the NWO. On the other hand depending on where eg the Vatican is in the big plan then it might be crucial!

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
...and thank God for that

Sry, I still hate religion, hehe. Stay away from it, it's poison. No matter what "faith" you belong to.

Try selfawareness instead... and if you need something to follow then atleast turn to the less extreme versions of Buddhism instead, and no, it's not a religion, it's a philosophy. There is no idolisation in Buddhism.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I see this as not because people are becoming less religious but people are getting tire of supporting the miltibillion dollar that have become the religious organizations in this country.

The economy is in trouble people have no money to support the new breed of super expensive mega churches

Seriously, I believe that American will be Christian no matter if they stop going to the church.

Is what is in your hart what it matters not the choice of church or religious denominations.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I'm an American and I do not detest Islam. There might be a few radicals I dislike. Really, I am offended by your statement.

Having been raised a Catholic, of which I am no longer part, I can tell you that for myself, at least, that I am more spiritual versus religious.

Paying to attend church one day a week doesn't guarantee anyone a ticket into heaven.

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I reckon that sounds about right. Me being a youngen and being an athiest, however I do believe that there's something after death, well I hope! I guess the youth are just desentsitized so much we dont have to find solice in religion, most christians I know are born into it e.g there parents are christians, so they're just like meh I may as well believe this stuff. But even then my best mate is the son of 2 preachers and he's the least christian person I know. but yeh I think my comment is just random rambling so I'll just stop now!!

Peace and love, Kyron Weetra

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Anyone think it's possible that younger people are turning away from religion because of the way that religion is being treated by the political establishment?

Honestly, these days the Governments of the world treat Religion as this big taboo subject no one is supposed to talk about - it's almost as if it's an "unwritten rule of political correctness" or something.

If there are religious people reading this, and by that i mean christians, muslims, hindus, buddhists, Taoists, - hell, even the pagans, why not?

If you are reading this, i think you should have a serious look at the way the world looks at religion these days, and ask yourself - what is the leading cause of that perspective?

top topics

join