It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John McCain was born in Panama

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This may not be big news, but I felt it was worth talking about.

What does it say about our society that no one is talking about this when it is clearly a subject that could destroy his run for the nomination.

My feeling is the Democrats are saving this for the General Election. Something like this could be pulled out the day before the general election vote to destroy the chances of the Republican party from getting the White House.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by robwerden

IF John McCain was born in Panama, he would not be eligible to run for the presidency.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wisefoolishness

IF John McCain was born in Panama, he would not be eligible to run for the presidency.

He was born on an American military base.

www.azcentral.com...

[edit on 1/31/08 by kattraxx]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
He was born in Panama to 2 natural-born U.S. Citizens. Under existing law in the USA he would not be deprived of the Presidency. But I'm sure someone could kick up a fuss in the US Court system for entertainment.

"Politics is theater by ugly people." -- Jay Leno

McCain: Born in Panama; Programmed in VietNam

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I would not be surprised at all if that's already been taken care of by George. McCain is not stupid, he knows what the laws are, or what USED to be laws.

In any case, we sold out to other countries already so having Putin win an election here wouldnt be surprising in the least.

Get going, Ahrlnold!!!

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
He was born at Coco Solo Air Base, Panama.

His father and grandfather were both US Naval Admirals.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The Constitution states that only those born in the United States can be President.
I don't think the founding fathers anticipated military bases as part of the United States. This would allow anyone born in a military base to be a US naturalized citizen. I think this would be very bad if we accepted this principle.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Being born to American citizens who are serving their country and making sacrifices living on a United States Military base does NOT exclude one from running for President.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Wow, true enough! I had no idea

He was born on an air base in in the Panama Canal Zone.
A US Base is just like an Embassy, where ever its at in the world, is considered US Property.
However, this is interesting. I believe he would be the first president ever to be born in a foreign country..

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Are you saying that the children born of American citizens serving their country should not even be considered citizens?

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well, John Kerry actually lives in Switzerland, and used a Passport while in the US.
He also ran for President.

link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Being born to American citizens who are serving their country and making sacrifices living on a United States Military base does NOT exclude one from running for President.

Djarums, we are talking about legal issues here, and not about how much common sense they make. There are soldiers in the US Army who are not even citizens, and sure they make sacrifices for our country, does it make them eligible as well?

link   

Originally posted by robwerden
The Constitution states that only those born in the United States can be President.
I don't think the founding fathers anticipated military bases as part of the United States. This would allow anyone born in a military base to be a US naturalized citizen. I think this would be very bad if we accepted this principle.

This principle has been accepted. American military bases, for all intents and purposes, are American soil. Geez. My brother was born in Morocco and I was born in France, being Air Force brats. We're American.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

But the base is considered part of America.

Stating that people born on our very own bases are not citizens is quite unfair IMO.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I dont know if Mc Cain would make a good president or not but he definitely deserves the label of American.
After almost being killed in the USS Forrestal Fire in Viet Nam, he was shot down , landed in a lake and beat by civilians before being "rescued" by NV Soldiers after having two legs broken.
He spent 5 years in the Hanoi Hilton and theres no telling what kind of torture he endured

Im not saying that this qualifies him to be President, Im just saying that this guys been through a lot and still found success. That alone is a testament to a persons character and will.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Actually the old law must have provisions for this type of birth. If he was born on a military base, that base is US land, IMO, making him an American citizen.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Kr0n0s

Its not about what anyone endures. Aliens endure lots of crap too.
Its about the law.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Lol, I am very aware of what the law states and I had already made it clear that I believed he was an American based on being born in a Military Base.
I just added the info about Viet Nam because I believe that shows that he is a man of character and strength and fought for his country as an American, it wasnt an endorsement.
In fact, in the past McCain has been a very poor Candidate for President, im not convinced he can beat whatever Democrat he goes up against but I know zip about Romney, except that hes a Mormon

[edit on 1/31/2008 by Kr0n0s]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   

The constitution says "Natural Born Citizen", that means he was born a citizen. The constitution says nothing about being born in the United States.

[edit on 31-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

[edit on 31-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
reply to post by buddhasystem

But the base is considered part of America.

Stating that people born on our very own bases are not citizens is quite unfair IMO.

Laws are often unfair, Jarums. Let's say his mother's waters broke when she was outside the base in a town 30 miles away, and she was rushed to a local hospital where whe gave birth to a healthy boy. Is he still eligible?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join