It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:22 PM
link   
As... morbid... as it sounds, I'm really excited to see what will happen... lol, I'm gonna be listening to The Great Gig in the Sky that whole day

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
I would like to say that if TU24 was a long term orbiter of the Earth then we are simply just 'seeing it for the first time'. It therefore has made numerous trips around us with no fanfare - right?

Or it may have been 'recently' observed in this orbit based on a perturbation of the heavens - natural or otherwise, which adds to the fact that science seems to know very little about its MOID yet.

Astronomers can only 'dial in' a NEO's orbit over many passes. If its just been observed then they don’t have a solid track on it.
Yet why has it only just been observed?

Is there a rational technical explanation for this fact - as it seems close enough and large enough - in my admittedly naive to science position - to have been captured earlier on.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Was actually talking to some friends earlier at the hub and they told me they are wondering due to all this strange weather the past week, and a few Volcanoes, and tons of new quakes lately if it is due to this. And yes the quakes have been very active lately. Last week they were averaging around 30 - 50 quakes a day. Which isnt normal. Sort of makes you wonder if as it comes closer will it get worse.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Sky watcher

I don't know what the usually weekly number is, but, there are 150 rumbles.

Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days
Worldwide earthquakes with M4.0+ located by USGS and Contributing Agencies.

(Earthquakes with M2.5+ within the United States and adjacent areas.)

earthquake.usgs.gov...

[edit on 21-1-2008 by Siren]

[edit on 21-1-2008 by Siren]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
With the recent UFo sightings it could be the mother ship.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I was offline for a couple of days while upgrading my pc. During this time I went through extreme feelings of having information withheld about what is really going on, hit me hard. I do not usually by into this type of thought process or intuitive feeling, yet something was really bothering me.
When I came back on to ats to see what may have happened during my T/O , I found this information and it some how fit the gut instinct of my concerns.

I do not know if we will be affected by this, but it would be nice to be informed through the general media when something of this magnitude is discovered.

When the media withholds something this big, that concerns me.

One more thing, if some of the top telescopes are claiming to go down for a couple of weeks, either they do not want to share the information with the GP or perhaps they are shutting down to save their equipment from eminent failure from the passing asteroid. Like I mentioned earlier, I just updated my pc and maybe I should also go through steps to protect it on and around those dates. Has anyone else thought the same?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

the following information is taken from :
sanfrancisco.tribe.net...

not sure how accurate it is but:

How would we know if TU24 will upset the Earth electrically, without touching the Earth?

Look out for:
-unusual weather days before the arrival of TU24
-A spike in Earthquakes
changes to the Earth's ionosphere
-The glowing of the sky before the event.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   
The 150 rumbles is usually the bigger ones the smaller ones they never show on that 1.2 - 2.4 those go in another area. In all it would be alot more then that.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Could someone check the update time on this Harvard website. They say at top that it is updated daily, and I did a right click 'properties' on the page which said today modified. (is that a valid way to check freshness?)
cfa-www.harvard.edu...

Anyhow the page restates the 0.0009 Emoid. (see table here on page 15)
146,000 -+ km.

If all this is legit, it seems somebody is driving their 'RV' between the moon's path and Earth's solar orbit. Neat.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

we just had 12 degree weather last night and its suppose to be 20 again tonight. With more ice tomorrow. So yeah the weather is very strange. I feel like I am living in Maine again instead of North Carolina. And people in Florida are also getting this weather. So something is up.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:01 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

the next week should prove to be interesting.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

You know that could be the reason why the new photos of the sun are blurry so no one can see anything? I was trying to get good photos from NASA of that object beside of the sun for the past 4 days and everything is so blurred you cant see a thing. I knew they were trying to hide something this may be what they were trying to hide.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
This has been picked apart quite cleanly over at Bad Astronomy: Here
And the poster was banned from the board for some reason. Phil Plat, the owner of BABB, and a NASA employee, has also explained that this is not going to hit in his personal Blog: Here

The MOID is not the distance between objects it is the distance between Orbits, the current approach distance remains at 1.44 LD as of Jan 18, last observed by private astronomers “Desert Moon Observatory”

2007 Tu24
Approximate diameter: 311 meters (H=20.184) Closest Earth approach: 1.44 LD at 0832 UTC on 29 Jan. Inside ten LD of Earth: 24 Jan. until 3 Feb. Inside Earth's Hill sphere: 27 to 31 Jan. Closest Moon approach: 2.20 LD at 1539 UTC 29 Jan. Data based on: JPL SSD orbit solution #18 downloaded 19 Jan. Optical observation: observed from 16 locations during 98.8114 days
discovered at 0626 UTC on 11 Oct. by the Catalina Sky Survey
last observed at 0154 UTC on 18 Jan. by Desert Moon Obs. Note: radar target

The planet currently still exists:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:08 PM
link   
neo.jpl.nasa.gov... this takes you to the page of NEO's near earth objects

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
Phil Plat, the owner of BABB, and a NASA employee, has also explained that this is not going to hit

but will it effect earths magnetosphere and cause plasma discharge?

Most of us here at ATS in this thread understand TU24 won't hit.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by aaaauroraaaaa]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by judasfish
its the video thats got me spooked. its worth watching, so we know what we might be infor

Heres the video

TU-24 Possible Damage
That video has so many false statements and baseless statements that is not even funny.

Holmes may have been the largest object in the solar system but it was not 40% more massive than the Sun (it had no more mass than the Sun, if it was more massive than the Sun then we would be all orbiting Holmes and not the Sun), the diameter of its enveloping cloud of dust and ice particles was 40% larger that the diameter of the Sun. It's the same thing as saying that a cloud is more massive than the Himalayas, it may be bigger but it has much less mass. (Unless I am interpreting "massive" in the wrong way, my English is not that good)

Comparing auroras with lightnings (as it appears to do by putting those images in succession) is not a good comparison of "plasma discharge", they are created in different ways.

Then he/she/it says that what happened to Holmes could happen to WD5 and Mars, but before he/she/it said that nobody knew what had happened to Holmes. So, as nobody knows why a comet became extremely bright in a small amount of time before it go back to its previous brightness, the same thing can happen to an asteroid and a planet? Why does he/she/it says it, if nobody knows what happened?

Then there is the talk about the earthquakes, deadly storms, massive eruptions of fire across hundreds or even thousands of square miles. Why? How does a "plasma discharge" creates earthquakes? And storms? And what are those "massive eruptions of fire"?

Then we have Tunguska. Nobody is sure of what was the cause of the explosion, some say a meteor that exploded in the air, some say a comet, some say it was 30 metres, some say 1200 metres.

Saying that it had a negative charge is pure speculation.

And it entered the Earth's atmosphere, the explosion was near the ground, not high in the air.

Next we have an interesting animation showing what could happen, and if that is what he/she/it thinks is the way a plasma discharge happens then I think we may forget about all the other ideas presented.

In conclusion, I think that that video is completely useless, instead of trying to interest people in the subject so they can learn something it tries to scare them with meaningless words and images.

Oh, and the idea that this only happens if the asteroid is negatively charged is a good escape route, if nothing happens then it was positively charged.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Just recently, on Saturday actually, we were on our way back home from a resturant. It started raining and then suddenly there was a large flash of lightning it started pouring. It came out of nowhere. It was not consistent either. The rain seemed to come in waves in which the waves. The velocity at which the rain fell changed from high to moderate every few seconds. I guess maybe the wind had something to do with it, it was horizontal rain. Rain and Wind were in the forcast but it all came so fast. It was a normal rain strom at first then the large lightning strike came and the wind started picking up along with the rain. It was almost instant.

Originally posted by TamtammyMacx
With the recent UFo sightings it could be the mother ship.

well UFOs are almost always sighted. Is it like a sudden flare up? If not, i wouldn't worry about TU24 being a mother ship... O.o

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Whats the deal with all of the endtimes hoopla. This stuff seems to come in big spurts about every 6 months. I recall a post similar to this a while back saying that there was an asteroid that was to come dangerously close to Earth. Is this the same kind of scenario? Passing at an estimated distance of 300+k miles doesnt seem too far, but even if an asteroid was going to impact earth, do you honestly think that NASA would do anything?

They have been covering up ET for decades to save their own behinds, so who is to say that they would want to save anyone else other than themselves. It also doesnt sit well with me that with all of the UFO sightings that are getting legit coverage on the news, weather anomolies, bad economic news, and the "Life after people" airing tonight, that more odd/negative stuff keeps coming up day after day.

If this is the elites way of telling us that you know what is about to hit the fan, then I might forego my usual taking grain of salt with all of this and just head for the hills. But even that wont do me any good.

This stuff freaks me out.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Thanxs for the moon to TU26 approach distance DFC5. (Curious if that is the MOID or actual distances?)

I would also like agree with what you are saying - that MOID/Emoid ( the latter defining a comparison to Earths orbit I believe) is 'NOT' distance between solid objects - but a minimum distance between their orbital paths.

Object's actual distance apart is / can be greater at the time of MOID. (i.e., I assume that a shared MOID point is reached ‘twice’ per the bodies’ pass, if the two objects do not indeed collide due to future perturbation.

-Curious now how the moon's position at that time will affect things

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:50 PM
link   
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov... ....if you take a look at ADDITIONAL INFORMATION box you will see that the MOID is .00125au... the moon is at .0025 according to JPL's own website. the MOID stands for minimum orbit intersection distance. to me it looks like it is coming inside of the moons orbit...is there an astronomer out there that can tell me that this is wrong and why?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join