It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by hildar

There is a big difference in size of that object in case if you didnt notice compared to what is coming now there also is a big difference in speed.

There have been other large asteroids that have made similar close approaches in the past, I simply used that one because it was on the current list. We just had a large one go between the earth and the moon in the last couple of years, though I forget which one it was. This one is nothing more then someone sitting at home playing with NASA’s orbit simulator, and saw what they considered to be a collision, then started a big rumor on the net.
I joined ATS during Aussie Bloke, I have seen other such predictions on the web come and go, and I religiously watch JPL’s NEO page, out of all of that this one does not scare me in the slightest. There have been much closer, large asteroid approaches in the past that have been real cause for concern, but this is not one of them. Unless you can show that there is something special about this asteroid that is going to cause it to give off this supposed 550,000 Kilometer arch of plasma, I don’t see this one doing anything but being of slight interest.

The one that passed between the Earth and the moon had it's orbit changed by the earth's gravity. And it was upon us with only a few hours advance notice. I'm not sure what if any affect the moon had on it.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

Interesting ideas there hildar, thanks for that info...

I think it's time everyone starts to cut through the hype right about now. We've had people talking about the weather, earthquakes, car tires, dreams, even losing their balance...

Can Earth's gravity really influence this thing from 1.4 moons out? How does the spinning axis of it affect its path?

I'm finding it incredibly odd that it's yet to garner any media coverage. Not in the 'oh no, run!' way, but its not even getting a mention in the 'oh gee, this interesting...' way, when you consider the WD5 dealie around Mars even got a mention.

I firmly believe it won't hit, but they're keeping hush hush for now.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

As far as we know it wont hit, from most of what the figures are saying it will go between us and the moon. Not on the other side of it. There is plenty of evidence showing it will go between the 2.

. . and gravity won't tend to draw it towards earth, we hope? . . . I may share a bit of nervousness with you about this particular visitor

Until, on the 30th, we realize that there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

[edit on 1/21/2008 by OptionToChoose]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

You believe in what they say then at bad astronomy well here it comes:

The NASA data hasn't been updated for some time.

The fact that this rock is booked into the Goldstone observatory for observations, and it ''needs astrometry'' tells me they have NOT got a firm grip on the precise trajectory of this thing.

There are lots of other objects that need to have their orbits check for future approaches, it does not mean that there is any chance it is going to hit us this time, but they want to get as many observations as they can to help track future approaches. There has been an observation as of January 18th at “Desert Moon Observatory”, an independent observatory run by a civilian. Here is there data as of the 18th:

2007 Tu24
Approximate diameter: 311 meters (H=20.184) Closest Earth approach: 1.44 LD at 0832 UTC on 29 Jan. Inside ten LD of Earth: 24 Jan. until 3 Feb. Inside Earth's Hill sphere: 27 to 31 Jan. Closest Moon approach: 2.20 LD at 1539 UTC 29 Jan. Data based on: JPL SSD orbit solution #18 downloaded 19 Jan. Optical observation: observed from 16 locations during 98.8114 days
discovered at 0626 UTC on 11 Oct. by the Catalina Sky Survey
last observed at 0154 UTC on 18 Jan. by Desert Moon Obs. Note: radar target

The problem NASA is having in regards to an agreed upon solution is that around the end of December they noticed this asteroid had a strange tumbling rotation.

That has no effect on the orbit, there is no air in space to cause the tumbling to wobble the orbit significantly.

From October to December a series of irregular jogs in the orbit were observed.

I am going to tell you the same thing they told those guys at BABB, show me the money (Evidence). You cannot supply this evidence obviously.

From October to December a series of irregular jogs in the orbit were observed. With each jog the solution has to be rerun. The composition of the asteroid is believed to be dense rock or iron. The multiple spin axis, density and irregular shape of this asteroid couple with no prior observation and lack of time is causing havoc with NASA’s ability to accurately predict the outcome. The next posted solution could bring the near miss distance inside of the Moons orbit. All recent program runs are in consensus that it is inside of 1 LD.

If you look that was posted by someone with no proof and no astronomy background, which was promptly picked apart by the astronomers there.

[edit on 1/21/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Then please check out NASA newest data:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

if you look tomorrow it will be closer then on the 29th. And it is less then before. So what the F*CK is going on?

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   

reply to post by Outlawstar

That is interesting my family has been doing that now for a few months. But the tornadoes I saw were smaller then normal. I also saw a huge rock hitting a temple. and many other things. I just have a bad feeling and many others are having that feeling lately to. But I dont know if its the Asteroid or if its 2012.

Hilda

Interesting, yeah I think generally whether its this asteroid 2012 or something else, people can sense change is coming, or rather, is happening, for bad or for worse.

Actually the tornados in my dream were very small and unusually low aswell, and there were dozens, and every now and then the would become solid and stay still.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This thread has gotten so huge that I'm not sure if this concept has already been mentioned...

but...

The world markets are in a free fall right now. And while that could solely be the outcome of economic cause and effect, I find it interesting that everybody is selling off everything just before this asteroid makes it's close approach.

Coincidence? Maybe. Odd timing though.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
There is no way that is true.

1.) The world would be in a state of emergency.
2.) NASA is not the only space program out there.
3.) If it were true, there would have been more sources.
4.) And if "NASA" was trying to "cover it up" there would have been articles on that too.

I won't believe it until I see more articles about it, or see it.
I tried many other places trying to find a source, or anything about asteroids, and found nothing.

[NOTE THIS POST WAS NOT TO DRAW ANY FLAME BUT TO WHAT I THOUGHT ABOUT IT]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Then please check out NASA newest data:

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

if you look tomorrow it will be closer then on the 29th. And it is less then before. So what the **** is going on?

Hilda

That is Object (2008 AF3)...
You got the wrong object.

Edit to edit posters remark...

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Now if that doesnt beat all I just looked and they have them mixed up its a good thing I looked.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

I would not use that small object browser for what you are doing, its not made for it. Use JPL’s NEO tracking page here:

JPL NEO
It also takes you to an object tracking application, but it seems to be more accurate to me.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Outlawstar

And lots of them? and they would leave then more? that is what I dreamed about smaller ones and people were all being sucked up one by one. my family only survived by hiding in a small brick building in my dream. Others also survived it by going in there. The worst thing is we all had that same dream the same night. But they were shorter then normal and thinner and there were loads of them.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You know, I see allot of questions about "Why doesn't anyone else know about this etc etc"

Finding an asteroid is like and I am using a direct quote from astrophysicists on the discovery channel: "Like finding a needle in a needle stack"

You almost have to "know" exactly where to look at the exact time to find it.

It is impossible with our current technology to accurately identify even 1% of all potential threats...who knows there may be hundreds of these out there...

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Ok people, three links below states the TU24 MOID at 0.00099AUs, 0.00098AUs and 0.00096AUs as opposed to NASA's MOID of 0.00124995AUs

cfa-www.harvard.edu

www.lpl.arizona.edu

newton.dm.unipi.it

So according to these links TU24's orbit can get as close as 143,614.08km, well within the Moon's orbit.

Edit for correction by Defcon5

[edit on 21-1-2008 by Moegli]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Moegli

A low MOID means that they want to watch this asteroid closely in the future as it has the potential to eventually strike the Earth, this time it will not. MOID is the Minimum Orbital Intersection Distance, meaning it is the distance between two objects orbits not the distance between two objects

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I believe the latest NASA estimate shows an MOID of .00086 now. I arrived at this by monitoring the JPL JAVA mini browser's MOID for JAN 28., not the 29th.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
All,

I was interested in using the jpl tracker over long periods of time to see just how regular this 'close call' was at the MOID. Granted with the softness of present data the projected orbital path and period are possibly worthless - but based on what they give you it seems likely that our good friends back through human history (with telescopes and clear sky's) could have seen it a few times - if they were looking for it that is.

Which brings us to the other question. As TU24 is 'three months new' to modern recorded observation, could its orbit be so essentric and different somehow from what the JPL model projects? Or is it coming through for the first time, pulled out from deep space or the Astroid Belt?

(my edit) here is an easy/decent unit converter.
www.unit-conversion.info...

Isnt there a classic ATS astroid/public scare tactic in the conspiracy heirarchy associated with Kelly Johnson(?) from Skunk Works(?) - followed by ET? Screw-em and their end o' world scenarios!

Nite
-Scrap

[edit on 21-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Moegli

I tried the Harvard link and got nothing. I decided to email the webmaster (as recomended by the page itself) to ask if the page was removed due to the TU24 report. Within 30 seconds, I received an email stating "This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification. Delivery to the following recipients failed." No page, and now no contact? Removed from yahoo also? Hmm. Don't really know what to make of this all. 126,000km is very close when an object that size moves that quickly. After doing page upon page of google searches for TU24, I can't find any "news" about it either, just pages and pages of posts. Guess we'll find out on the 29th. From what I've read, it's only the second time they've been able to forecast an NOE coming this close.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by hildar

I would not use that small object browser for what you are doing, its not made for it. Use JPL’s NEO tracking page here:

JPL NEO
It also takes you to an object tracking application, but it seems to be more accurate to me.

Can you tell me why all of the links take you to the same diagram of TU24 on your link?

I appreciate how you are trying to calm everyone from being paranoid about this odd situation we have all discovered or better yet uncovered, yet what gets us are all of the secrets surrounding this event.

I hope you are correct and that January 29th passes without any change, however what do you think about some of the evidence discussed here regarding the hush hush?

If there is no risk then why not be discussing one of the most amazing asteroid passes in public memory?

Why not invite the GP to the observatories like when Hale Bop passed or any of the other great past events?

And why would some of the leading observatories be shutting down during this time?

OK granted we may not be in danger of a direct hit, but something is 'possibly' going to interrupt satellite and electronics if they choose to miss this opportunity to view this huge unexpected event for 'maintenance'.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Does anyone use the SPACEGUARD site?

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join