It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 19
<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Scientist = the modern day illusionist

If it comes....it comes....humans are always worried about fighting the forces out of this earth or within....only faith/nature can save us....

Well my bday is on January 28th and to tell you the truth, it'll be cool if it DID hit...then i can die peacefully or live to tell the story....win-win

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaauroraaaaa
but will it effect earths magnetosphere and cause plasma discharge?

Most of us here at ATS in this thread understand TU24 won't hit.

First, how is it going to do that from the other side of the moon?
Second, why have none of the other asteroids that have passed even closer ever discharged plasma and disrupted things in the past?

[edit on 1/21/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
There is one very bad thing about the way it comes in. It comes from behind the Earth. If you have ever driven behind a large truck you know what I mean. It could get caught in the Earth's gravity well and literally be sucked into the earth even if it "would have" gone slightly past. In 2004, a small asteroid did the same thing but only from the side and the Earth pulled it in very close and changed the orbit of it. Then again it could hit the moon and who knows what that would mean. The moon is a fourth the size of earth and the asteroid is a fourth of a mile wide, so to the moon it would be like a mile wide object hitting the Earth. Depending on the angle it could spew billions of tons of the moon into orbit around us sending a shower of meteorites down upon us for some time. However, I think this one is going to hit us and probably in an ocean. And that would be very bad for millions of people.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildar
As far as we know it wont hit, from most of what the figures are saying it will go between us and the moon. Not on the other side of it. There is plenty of evidence showing it will go between the 2.
Hilda

What evidence?
I have already linked the latest numbers from independent astronomers and the distance is 1.44 Lunar Distances, that is well outside the moon, by almost half again the distance from the earth to the moon.

[edit on 1/21/2008 by defcon5]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

All the evidence in the world means nothing when the asteroid actually comes close to our gravitational and energetic field (moon and Earth).

We don't KNOW what is going to happen, simple as that.

We can guess and guess its going to pass way outside our atmosphere and cause no damage at all, but at the end of the day, its all speculation regardless of the evidence.

We will have to wait and see what happens around the 29th of January.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls
All the evidence in the world means nothing when the asteroid actually comes close to our gravitational and energetic field (moon and Earth).

Ok what damage did the asteroid that passed at 1 AU on January 13th do?
(2008 AF3) Passed us at 1 LD or .0025 AU on that day, check here: Close approach

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I surely hope that people who heard about this won't commit any of the crimes before or on the official date of the asteroid comes.

Jeez, lol.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Hey I'm not saying its going to hit or anything like that. I'm saying we don't know what's going to happen so why worry about it?

We should all be living our lives regardless.

If we all die next week, the best case scenario involves living a life to be proud of.

We have ABSOLUTELY NO control over what the asteroid does.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by biggie smalls

Ok what damage did the asteroid that passed at 1 AU on January 13th do?
(2008 AF3) Passed us at 1 LD or .0025 AU on that day, check here: Close approach

There is a big difference in size of that object in case if you didnt notice compared to what is coming now there also is a big difference in speed.

14 m - 31 m 3.51KM yep it was a baby compared to what is suppose to be coming now. Holy crap it may have been this ones baby figuring this one is twice that size.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Hey everyone, man its hard to keep up with this topic.
Heres a bit of my own input, over here in Ireland there is some really strange weather going on, were having the wettest January on record, Im talking rain that doesint stop for the whole day, every day this week has been extremely windy aswel, some of the strongest wind Ive ever felt, and while January is generally cold for us, it seems colder than ever.

Not sure if it means much but I stepped into my back garden about an hour ago and noticed that I could see the end of my garden.
That never happens.The moon is casting gobsmackingly bright light across the whole area, I mean I can see unbelievably well, its like its glowing, usually when I look at it for a few seconds I can make out the craters but not tonight.

This could have no bearing whatsoever but I just thought Id put it out there.

Oh and even more possibly not bearing whatsover is the fact that 2 nights ago my whle family had dreams about natural disasters, mine was huge tornados.It just seems weird.

Anyway, its just to hard to tell if therer will be plasma discharge or an impact or whatever so Im just gonna chill out and watch the skies.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I agree that we don’t have any control over anything. But out of all the asteroids I have watched pass us on JPL over the years, and of all the hoaxes on this and other sites, this one is about the least worrying to me. I’d be much more concerned about a long period comet that comes from behind the sun with no notice, then something that we have known observations and independent verification of being outside the orbit of the moon. When the guys at astronomy sites like Bad Astronomy start going on mass vacation, then I would start to become concerned.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
we dont have to worry TU24 is just doing like most mamas do she is chasing after that holy hellion of a child of hers. So dont worry as long as we didnt hurt her baby she wont hurt us. Please tell me Bush didnt declare war against that baby asteroid otherwise we are all screwed.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
I surely hope that people who heard about this won't commit any of the crimes before or on the official date of the asteroid comes.

Jeez, lol.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by TheoOne]

Lol @ joo. If anything I'll try to obtain enlightenment before it comes(its coming muhahahah jks)... Dunno about the rest of you.. repent?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Is it a coincidence that WD5 is also slated to pass by Mar's southern hemisphere on January 30th? Here is an interview w/ podcast from JPL lab on the matter.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

Also since both of these NEO's have 'sprung up' in the past 3 months, what else is out there that we are not aware of?

Bush's state of the Union address at the end of this month should be an interesting one if any of the media has the balls to address this issue.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by antar]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Is it a coincidence that WD5 is also slated to pass by Mar's southern hemisphere on January 30th? Here is an interview w/ podcast from JPL lab on the matter.

www.jpl.nasa.gov...

I thought this very same thing. What if both planets got whacked at the same time.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by antar
Is it a coincidence that WD5 is also slated to pass by Mar's southern hemisphere on January 30th?

I was thinking the same thing.

Very coincidental.

Well, one thing is for sure. The end of January will be pretty cool for astronomers.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by hildar

There is a big difference in size of that object in case if you didnt notice compared to what is coming now there also is a big difference in speed.

There have been other large asteroids that have made similar close approaches in the past, I simply used that one because it was on the current list. We just had a large one go between the earth and the moon in the last couple of years, though I forget which one it was. This one is nothing more then someone sitting at home playing with NASA’s orbit simulator, and saw what they considered to be a collision, then started a big rumor on the net.
I joined ATS during Aussie Bloke, I have seen other such predictions on the web come and go, and I religiously watch JPL’s NEO page, out of all of that this one does not scare me in the slightest. There have been much closer, large asteroid approaches in the past that have been real cause for concern, but this is not one of them. Unless you can show that there is something special about this asteroid that is going to cause it to give off this supposed 550,000 Kilometer arch of plasma, I don’t see this one doing anything but being of slight interest.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
reply to post by biggie smalls

I agree that we don’t have any control over anything. But out of all the asteroids I have watched pass us on JPL over the years, and of all the hoaxes on this and other sites, this one is about the least worrying to me. I’d be much more concerned about a long period comet that comes from behind the sun with no notice, then something that we have known observations and independent verification of being outside the orbit of the moon. When the guys at astronomy sites like Bad Astronomy start going on mass vacation, then I would start to become concerned.

You believe in what they say then at bad astronomy well here it comes:

The NASA data hasn't been updated for some time.

The fact that this rock is booked into the Goldstone observatory for observations, and it ''needs astrometry'' tells me they have NOT got a firm grip on the precise trajectory of this thing.

The problem NASA is having in regards to an agreed upon solution is that around the end of December they noticed this asteroid had a strange tumbling rotation. The orbit they originally defined was symmetrical. Further study indicated that the orbit is irregular. From October to December a series of irregular jogs in the orbit were observed. With each jog the solution has to be rerun. The composition of the asteroid is believed to be dense rock or iron. The multiple spin axis, density and irregular shape of this asteroid couple with no prior observation and lack of time is causing havoc with NASA’s ability to accurately predict the outcome. The next posted solution could bring the near miss distance inside of the Moons orbit. All recent program runs are in consensus that it is inside of 1 LD.

Woo hoo I am right on the money!!!!!

www.bautforum.com...

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Outlawstar

That is interesting my family has been doing that now for a few months. But the tornadoes I saw were smaller then normal. I also saw a huge rock hitting a temple. and many other things. I just have a bad feeling and many others are having that feeling lately to. But I dont know if its the Asteroid or if its 2012.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I started reading this thread last night. DEFINAELY caught my attention.

While I was checking back to see how things might have changed in the last 24 hours I discovered that one of the JPL information pages that had been posted earlier has disappeared. JPL pulling this page doesn't make me feel very confident that it's going to miss like they said.

Here's a link to the cached page that Google saved.
Google Cached Page

Here's the origional Post & Link.

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Can anyone tell me why at all I should take this seriously? What is the big deal. I see nothing being covered up.

Source

Its the first thing on the schedule.

I appologize if this has been mentioned earlier. I'm getting home after an early mourning and full 10 hour day at work. I don't have time to read all of the 19 pages in this post. I thought the information was important, so I made the post.

top topics

<< 16  17  18    20  21  22 >>

join