It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed, on the NASA Orbit Diagram Info of TU24, in the blue box where it says 'Additional Information' states the MOID (Minimum Orbit Intersection Distance) is 0.0012501AUs.

NASA's uncertainty puts TU24's closest proximity in a range from 120,000 to 420,000 miles/193,121km to 675,924.48km. Dodgy calculating.

Edit: forgot link

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov

[edit on 21-1-2008 by Moegli]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
reply to post by undo

LMAO Approach Vector!!!

Without detouring too far from the thread topic, can you quickly tell me what you think Wormwood is?

EDIT: Oops! Didn't mean to post twice in a row. Should have used my edit button.

[edit on 1/20/2008 by damajikninja]

Undo, I believe, thinks Wormwood to be a mother ship, and I think she could be correct.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Check out this illustration I found
Here.

[edit on (1/21/08) by AllSeeingI]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:51 AM
link   
I saw that as well. 119 999 miles is still a long ways away, even though that is almost half way between the earth and the moon....

Could be interesting to see what happens.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I'm just having trouble getting my head around the fact there is nothing about this in the media.

An object is heading towards Mars and will make a close pass according to calculations and its everywhere in the media but a NEO is listed to make a close pass to earth removed from the threat list and there is no release about it at all.

Plenty of times Asteroids and the likes have been listed as coming close to earth and its been ripe in the media, whats so different about this one? If it is perceived as having no threat to Earth wouldn't it be broadcast with the usual "hobbyist astronomers should check it out... its cool!" type news segment?

There's something not right about this.

It's Diameter is .3km, 2007 WD5 is only what 50m? Is TU24 not worth mention in the media? Big object earth... no mention small object mars media saturation?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by illuzian

Refer to my post on the previous page, explains the media blackout, IMO. It says Scientists should not expose information about an Asteroid if it is an inevitable collision, or highly likely.

My Intuition tells me changes are going to occur after this event.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moegli

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
The thing is TU24 is not a extinction type event even if it did hit the earth!! And i don't by into that plasma energy theory, So im not worried.

Now if it was half a mile wide or more id be very concerned.

Plasma is a Science!
99.999% of all observable Matter in the Universe exist in their Plasma state.

No offense but your statement is just a claim. Please post evidence to support it to make it factual.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moegli
reply to post by illuzian

Refer to my post on the previous page, explains the media blackout, IMO. It says Scientists should not expose information about an Asteroid if it is an inevitable collision, or highly likely.

My Intuition tells me changes are going to occur after this event.

I'm not really sure whether to buy into there being an impact but I have been feeling "spiritually" intensity(or whatever you want to call it) the last few days for some reason... Feeling warm and fuzzy inside, drastic changes in the way I perceive things etc... Been doing a lot of meditation lately too... I'm usually too carried away with messing about with games or bumming around but not so recently. I do feel change but it could just be attributed to the new year too.

I actually hope something will happen here, whats also intriguing is that the object has quite a slow speed from what I can gather with just a glance so I'm guessing this would leave it open to gravitational pulls(or whatever if the plasmic theory is correct).

Just hope if it does hit its not going to affect Western Australia lol.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuzian

An object is heading towards Mars and will make a close pass according to calculations and its everywhere in the media but a NEO is listed to make a close pass to earth removed from the threat list and there is no release about it at all.

It was thought the Martian one might impact; no-one thinks the one passing Earth will impact. That's the difference.

How many NEOs have passed close to Earth in the past 5 years? How many were on the news 10 days beforehand?

My guess is there'll be a minor news story on the 30th or thereabouts saying how a small rock passed earth and wouldn't it be a good idea if there was more money devoted to tracking such objects ....

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I'm just having trouble getting my head around the fact there is nothing about this in the media.

I gotta agree with this. Although I'm not particularly alarmed, and tbh I'd be stoked if it wiped out humanity, to find absolutely ZERO articles about this in the news is just crazy when a search on the Mars "2007 WD5" asteroid returns over 90 articles.
news.google.com.au...

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

It was thought the Martian one might impact; no-one thinks the one passing Earth will impact. That's the difference.

How many NEOs have passed close to Earth in the past 5 years? How many were on the news 10 days beforehand?

My guess is there'll be a minor news story on the 30th or thereabouts saying how a small rock passed earth and wouldn't it be a good idea if there was more money devoted to tracking such objects ....

How many NEOs in the last 10 years have had a size of 200-500m~ and have such a low eMOID(ie within the level to be designated a threat)?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Has anyone thought how did Earth got an electrical charge?

Could it be because of the "Solar wind"?

If that is the case, then all objects affected by the Solar wind (all objects inside the heliopause). Why should some objects acquire a positive charge and others a negative charge if they are under the same conditions?

Even if this "object" came from out of the Solar system it has been inside the heliopause long enough to have its charge changed, so I don't think that it could have a different electrical charge when compared to that of the Earth.

So, no different charge, no discharge.

Unless I am completely wrong.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Ok going by what Nasa had and how far away the moon is this thing will be coming in at about half the distance of the moon here are the calculations:

The distance percieved for the 29th is 116,259.3 miles. yet if the moon is 384,403 km it still would be between us and the moon since 1 KM is just a bit less then a mile.

I was wrong it comes to:

1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers

which translates to:

384,403 kilometers = 238,856.95 miles

238,856.95 - 116,259.3 = 122,597.65

That is to close for comfort to me.

Which we might as well say is half of the way to the moon. If the moon at its distance can effect our tides ect? then cant this Asteroid being closer do the same thing? These are the true facts so whomever said it would be on the far side of the moon didnt do there math.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
I read all the way through this thread, and came up with the fact that there is little or nothing "for sure" about this. A lot of worry, a lot of 'what ifs", but very little to actually know.

I hate to sound like Alfred N. of Mad Mag, but "What, me worry?" There's not much that can be done about it one way or the other. We need to face the fact that as a species we are in a shooting gallery; at least as long as we all remain earthbound. And no amount of warning would change that.

Another near miss wouldn't mean spit to the public. Maybe a strike in some desert that the news choppers could circle and get pictures would make the world's citizens demand a higher priority for science, would be a good thing. But until modern man gets hit in the face, so to speak, most people ignore the dangers. (Look at how 9/11 changed perceptions, even though it was a possibility for a long time.)

About all we can do is to sit back and watch, and hope that if there is a strike, which is a fairly low probability IMO, it happens in some very remote area and not on our heads. Or if there is some type of "electrical discharge" event, that it doesn't cause too much damage.

Whichever, if anything at all, happens with this, then it is a chance for science to learn by leaps and bounds. It could be a factor in making our species meet such spaces threat by becoming better at dealing with those parts of the Universe that could be a danger to our survival.

Learning is what our species does best, and usually it is done when a danger is found to us. (Though I did learn in this thread that our current president is here on ATS,
though I have no idea if that is a danger or not.)

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by hildar
Ok going by what Nasa had and how far away the moon is this thing will be coming in at about half the distance of the moon here are the calculations:

The distance percieved for the 29th is 116,259.3 miles. yet if the moon is 384,403 km it still would be between us and the moon since 1 KM is just a bit less then a mile.

I was wrong it comes to:

1 mile = 1.609344 kilometers

which translates to:

384,403 kilometers = 238,856.95 miles

238,856.95 - 116,259.3 = 122,597.65

That is to close for comfort to me.

Which we might as well say is half of the way to the moon. If the moon at its distance can effect our tides ect? then cant this Asteroid being closer do the same thing? These are the true facts so whomever said it would be on the far side of the moon didnt do there math.

Hilda

Estimated closest distance on jpl plotter =0.0045 AU = 673 191 kilometers = 418 301 Miles
Distance to moon from earth 385000 km

Puts it away from the moon even with the minimum estimated found here: echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 21-1-2008 by illuzian]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Mornin all,

Just thought Id post a comment from the TU24 forum site which seems interesting.

An orbit intersection can occurs anytime, even when the two objects are far away from each other. For instance, TU24's orbit will cross Earth's orbit again in Nov 19, 2008 but the Earth will be at 3.677 AU away, and again in Jan 27, 2009 with the Earth at a distance of 3.694 AU.

So, I don't see much sense talking about MOID if the two objects are not in the same point of the intersection.

So I am guessing this speaks some to the distance variation given? The center to center distance between bodies at the time of crossing verses orbital minimum distance? (is this the EMOID vs MOID. Any astronomers in here to help a layman?)

1) Do the orbits of Earth and TU24 cross or simply come close?
2) If crossed orbits where are the two bodies at the time of cross?

Also two little things that simply pique my curiosity,

1) is the state of the union always slated for the 28th each year?
2) an unrelated aside I am sure (FOCUS THE NATION DAY JAN 30th)
www.focusthenation.org...

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Here I was able to find and support the information about the subject.

If that vid is right and the meteor does have a negative charge, i think that an impact is highly unlikely, as the earth has a slight net negative charge which repels other negative charges. That is why impacts are so rare, most asteroids get deflected away by the earths magnetosphere.

The reason that it doesn't have a tail like comet holmes is because it has a circular orbit and so it stays at the same voltage in the suns e-field. Also it is likely made primarily of metal, and so has a high surface conductivity, and so will adjust to the nearby voltage nearly instantaneously without developing a sufficient potential difference to create a tail and coma like most comets.

I'm an optomist, i'm saying no impact due to repulsive forces around the earth.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:35 AM
link   
I wonder if it is going to be too fast to be visible. Hopefully we are not in any real danger of a collision. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see any developments. Good post!

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
GUYS! I just want to make sure you have all seen this video on TU24, and the possible damage ti could do even if it doesnt hit..

its the video thats got me spooked. its worth watching, so we know what we might be infor

Heres the video

TU-24 Possible Damage

It says the scientists didnt even know it existed till 3 months ago, it shows stats of TU-24, everything is unknown...

so not one of us can know weather it isnt negitivly charged.
the reason why the 1908 russian disaster is compared to it, is because it was the only other recorded Negitivly charged Asteroid to pass close by. And it was much smaller that TU-24

just watch the video guys.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I dont see myself building a bomb shelter for this but it still is a bit closer then anything we have seen lately. I also dont like the fact that for some reason certain observatories are either saying it will be to far north for them to see it starting on the 29th. Or that they will be shut down for Maintenance until Feb. Just seems strange to me. Seem a bit strange to anyone else???

Hilda

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join