It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S.'s Chertoff says Europe poses terrorism threat

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   

U.S.'s Chertoff says Europe poses terrorism threat

uk.reuters.com

U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said on Wednesday that one of the biggest threats to U.S. security may now come from within Europe.

In an interview with BBC radio, Chertoff said that American authorities were becoming increasingly aware of a real risk of Europe becoming a "platform for terrorists".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
I wonder how long it will take for them to realize that the current policies of USA only push more and more people to the ranks of extremist organizations. It is not that Al-Qaeda is an excellent recruiter. It is just the fact that there is a wide-spread desire to oppose US.

uk.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:17 AM
link   
oooh so its europe now - brilliant , will the carriers and troops start attacking other `nato` countries?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:18 AM
link   
Because people in europe are still thinking for themselves!!!

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:27 AM
link   
I'm sure comrade Chertoff has exit strategies already in place, ready to take advantage of his dual nationality status and scuttle off to Israel at the first sign that the US population wake up and realise they've all been conned.

Just realised too, Chertoff rhymes with J**koff. Seriously, this is a guy that Stalin would have been proud of (doubly so with a nice Russian name). I wonder how things worked out with Mr. Wolfe and Mr. Primakov, two of his consultant hirings to DHS? Ex KGB and STASI head honchos certainly seem to be the right people to hire, with years of practice in fear mongering and getting people to spy on and report on their neighbours, kids, parents, relatives etc.

Don't worry Mr. J**koff, us Europeans have had all our guns taken away already so we're not much of a threat.... but the American citizens still have theirs and the time may come where they start to use them against the rotten leadership

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Britguy]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:30 AM
link   
So, when Americans were funding the IRA does that mean America was a terrorist threat to Europe?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:33 AM
link   
"Bring it on", this is really strating to annoy me.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Something else to bear in mind: Israel wants to be part of the EU, so by extension Israel and (due to his dual nationality) comrade Chertoff therefore pose a threat to the USA

Measure him up for an orange jumpsuit, reserve a cage at Gitmo and get him waterboarded at the earliest opportunity.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Britguy, that's an excellent point about Chertoff posing a security threat. I hadn't thought of that nor did I know that Israel was trying to become a par of the EU. Any sources for that? I always like to be able to point folks to a source if I tell them this type of thing. Thanks.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I thought it was Middle East.....

Weird.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Of course now it is Europe. Did everyone miss the news story about the blond haired, blue eyed, white skinned extremist? /sarcasm

Europe has slowly been stripping the rights of it's citizens for a while now. This is just another step to help bring in total surveillance of the population. Those of us in the US should be paying very close attention, cause we are next. You just watch how "Homegrown Terrorism" starts to become a household word. It has been mentioned, but you will be hearing a lot more of it as they try to usher in the Real ID and the surveillance grid.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

What do you mean, "We're next"? The removal of civil liberties isn't limited to Europe. It's happening in the US too, and has been for years. You're not 'next', it's already taking place.

It's a sad state of affairs when these once great democracies have to hide behind biometric ID cards and warrantless wiretaps to face off a relatively small and under-equipped enemy... we didn't even go to these extremes when fighting the Nazis, who posed a far bigger threat because back then we understood that to do these things would mean we were just as bad as the things we were fighting.

Very good point too, Infinite - you got a star from me for that. It's rather over-looked now.

This seems to be just a way of the Dept. of Homeland Security getting its hands on European records, which it has been after for quite some time now. I resent the implication that, because I'm from Europe, I might be a terrorist. Anyone might be a terrorist whether from Europe, North America, Asia, the Middle East... that's part of terrorist tactics. It's a challenge but we've got to live with it and we've got to preserve the freedoms that previous generations died to protect.

[edit on 16/1/08 by Ste2652]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   
I knew it!!! Those evil Europeans, all of them!!!

Does this man get paid to utter such stupidity?

Shouldnt he have starved to death by now and left planet Earth anyway?
He's the walking dead, imo. Has been for years.
Maybe its all the programing and electronics he's been implanted with.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Next out of the mouths of homeland security:
"Oxygen is a terrorist threat. Oxygen has been supporting the work of terrorists since the beginning of man. It has been conspiring with sunlight. America will not stand for this, effectively immediately the sun and all air on earth will be destroyed to save us from terrorists"

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The old hillbillies are still not quite getting it are they?
The more you push your military against an ideal, the stronger that ideal gets. You would have to kill every single man woman and child to prevent the spread of that ideal.

The more people the US attacks in search of "terrorists" the more of them are created through sheer disgust for what the US has done to their countries and livelihoods.

It doesn't seem to matter how often the US is warned of this, they just ignore the warnings and continue pressuring other countries.

When are they going to finally clue in? When they've gotten every single person outside of the US searching for Americans to kill?

It's going to take the US decades to repair relations with the world, thanks to Bush.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
The more people the US attacks in search of "terrorists" the more of them are created through sheer disgust for what the US has done to their countries and livelihoods.

It doesn't seem to matter how often the US is warned of this, they just ignore the warnings and continue pressuring other countries.

This is precisely the plan, you can't have an infinite war without infinite enemies.

They failed in the drug war, and thousands of articles and professional opinions on the subject is making it impossible for drug war rhetoric to be heard as anything but a loud fart, so the drummed up "war on terror" to keep sucking the on government nipples like the cash cow it has become.

Watch what happens, Democrat becomes president, war on terror falls to the wayside after eight years. Just like the 'crack epidemic' post Bush sr.

Then we'll get another lunatic in office and it will be another war.

The cycle repeats, like using a toilet.

First its clean, then there is a giant solar system of turds, then its flushed, then return of the turds.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ste2652

I think you may have misunderstood me or maybe I didn't make my point well enough. By "We are next" I mean in another few months you can replace the word "Europe" with "United States" in the original article. I am fully aware of what rights have been stripped away from those of us in the US. We are not as bad as Europe....yet. Europe is under much more surveillance right now than the US. We just do not have our cameras installed....yet. When it does happen it will all be done in the name of "Homegrown Terrorism" and by our legal definition of "terrorist" that person will be people like you and myself. Law abiding citizens who are simply fed up and those who speak out will be the "homegrown terrorist".

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Well we blamed Amsterdam as a terrorist country. Because one of the 9/11 worked for a amstterdam based company.

the Amsterdam government laughed at the us and called them crazy. etc.

top topics

join