It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is There A Conspiracy Of Atheists To Overthrow Christianity?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have been involved in several very heated discussions lately, here on ATS, between Christians and Atheists. I must say that it troubles me very deeply. I have found myself lashing out at others in defense of my beliefs. This is out of character for me. In the REAL world, per se, this never happens to me. I do have friends who are either Atheist or Agnostic, and we are able to discuss things amongst ourselves civilly.

The links to Atheist websites that have been introduced in these topic threads, are frightening. They seem to be trying to incite some type of action against believers of Christianity. Is this really necessary? The thing I look at is; Most of us are deeply troubled at being at war with Iraq. I believe that most of us can agree on that., Christian and Atheist alike. The other is that there is wide-spread belief that the affairs of our government is in serious trouble. Can we agree on that? There is a lot of troubling things going on, such as the possibility of a police State and/or a NWO. As the old saying goes, "A house divided against itself, cannot stand."

I would like to propose that we stop the bickering on this issue, and band together on the more important issue of saving our country. I think that this is the most serious issue that we have at hand. I apologize for any statement that I might have made that would have seemed offensive to anyone. Can we start over?
I would like to propose here that we start reconciling valid, deeply thought out ways to stop this runaway train, called the U.S. Government, as it now stands. I know that there are some very fine and intelligent minds here on this website. I have seen it over and over. Let's stop tearing each other to bits and start trying to fix our country. This invitation goes out to members outside the country as well. Because I have seen their concern many times, and some of their viewpoints. So how about, let's get them all together in one place?
Folks, the condition of our country is too important for us to be fighting amongst ourselves. Let's call a truce on this type of fighting and try to do something constructive. Any ideas?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
In proof reading my opening post, I see that it might be a little confusing. Whereas, my title invites discussion on conspiracy between atheists and christians, and the body leads another direction. Sorry for that. But I hope we can do both and do it in a civil manner. Does that clear things up a bit?

+6 more 
posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Is There A Conspiracy Of Atheists To Overthrow Christianity?

God I hope so. (no Pun intended)

Religion is a prison. a prison for your soul.
A reason to WAR
A way to separate us/divide us.
Pit us againts each other.
A reason to kill
to control with fear
I`m sorry if I`m stomping on your believes.
its not your fault ...I was fooled too.
and so were/are billions of others.

the only way for the people of earth to live as one is to
DROP all the RELIGIOUS B.S.

time for us to grow out of the farytale...and realize
there is no SANTA.

I know I am being very harsh but the ones who control the
main religions are the same ones who keep
killing our world with war after war mass killings after mass killings
through out all of known history..

how much longer do we have to keep behaving like children.
wake up world .

religion and the whole concept of religion is an evil mechanism .

never have I seen such a thing that is capable of so much death and suffering then that of religion.

ps. having said all that,
I believe in god
and I believe that we are all god.
and we are all one .

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Maya432]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Do you really think there wouldn't be another reason for wars and other things like that to happen even if there wasn't any religions? When was the last time it was REALLY over religion? Plus nobody can prove that every person fighting in a "religous war" were really fighting over religion. I'm betting 90% of the people were just fighting to protect their land, culture and families like It's pretty much been forever. Just because media tells you its over religion doesn't really mean it's over religion.

Originally posted by Maya432

never have I seen such a thing that is capable of so much death and suffering then that of religion.

You haven't heard of money?

[edit on 15-1-2008 by Shawn B.]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by sizzle

Is there a conspiracy to turn ths forum into a platform for christians to bitch against atheists while bumping down threads that are actually on topic?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by sizzle
The links to Atheist websites that have been introduced in these topic threads, are frightening. They seem to be trying to incite some type of action against believers of Christianity. Is this really necessary?

Why are you bring that stuff into this forum? You don't see me bringing stuff from a relioious website and start saying "look at this!". There's already enough of it on ATS.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

I really
am so sorry
that you feel that way.
wish there were some way we could come to an amicable agreement.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think atheists would be just as bad as any other religious organization if they push their beliefs (or lack thereof) down other people's necks. At that point, atheism would become a religion itself and sort of just shoot itself in the foot.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AncientVoid

The links to Atheist websites that have been introduced in these topic threads, are frightening. They seem to be trying to incite some type of action against believers of Christianity. Is this really necessary?

Why are you bring that stuff into this forum? You don't see me bringing stuff from a relioious website and start saying "look at this!". There's already enough of it on ATS.

Agreed. Which was my reason for mentioning it here. It seemed to me necessary to the topic discussion. I apologize that it is offensive to you. And I appreciate that you are not one of the ones dragging unnecessary things into ATS topics that incite bad feelings among the members. That is not my intention either.

[edit on 15-1-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley
reply to post by sizzle

Is there a conspiracy to turn ths forum into a platform for christians to bitch against atheists while bumping down threads that are actually on topic?

I certainly hope not. That is not my intention and I hope that no one else here makes it their intention.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Shawn B.

Yes, ShawnB, You do have a point there. I know that there are so-called religious wars in the middle east, but I think most of the ones that our country decide to get involved in (in recent years) has more to do with oil, control, etc. Thanks for your input.
Edit: My typing is getting obtrocious! LOL!

[edit on 15-1-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

reply to post by sizzle

I certainly hope not. That is not my intention and I hope that no one else here makes it their intention.

If this is the case.. perhaps you should ask admin to move the thread to the religious conspiracies forum instead. This has nothing to to do with conspiracies against evolutionary science.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   

reply to post by sizzle

If this is the case.. perhaps you should ask admin to move the thread to the religious conspiracies forum instead. This has nothing to to do with conspiracies against evolutionary science.

That just might be a good idea. Thank you for that suggestion. I am open for that. Being new here, I haven't completely learned the best places to put things, and I do appreciate it when other members point these things out for me.
Mods I am open to this suggestion, if you think that this is best.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
sizzle said

The links to Atheist websites that have been introduced in these topic threads, are frightening. They seem to be trying to incite some type of action against believers of Christianity.
------------------------------------------------------------

I've looked thru some of the threads that you have been posting in and havnt found these links to the Atheist websites that you speak of. Sites of this type are of concern to me -

Could you please point them out

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
Here's one. Sorry this is taking so long. I had some other things come up. I'll post them as I find them. Am I limited to just the ones listed on ATS?

"Christianity has a long history of violence, oppression, and imperialism. Are we supposed to believe that those kinds of activities will suddenly stop? I have been moving further away from the classic "live and let live" attitude and closer toward a "Let's extinguish the scourge of religion from the face of the planet -- we'll all be better off." But these are two extremes within a very wide range.

I am finding it harder and harder to politely listen to people spout off about God, being blessed, etc. I am more frequently challenging people (as part of casual dialog, as friendly as possible) on their beliefs. We all know that the theistic standpoint is not defensible, and it crumbles rather quickly in the face of reason. That's why there's so much talk about faith. That's why it must be constantly reaffirmed. However, people seem singularly unwilling to relinquish this security blanket. That's really up to them, but I believe theological forces play a sinister role in society, and serve only to restrict society's growth.

www.positiveatheism.org..."

www.abovetopsecret.com...

My reason for concern for this particular comment, was his/her desire to extinguis/scourge religious beliefs from the face of the earth. What would be his/her methods of doing this? You can't just demand that someone stop believing and make it happen. History has shown that imposing laws against it doesn't work. So, again. what would be the method? Kill us?

[edit on 16-1-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:49 AM
link   
Damn, we've been found out. Quick eat the evidence...

I don't see the conspiracy. You have one person saying they have wavered between 'live and let live' and 'remove the scourge of religion'. But with a greater move towards less religion from society.

OK. Sounds cool.

I'd also like to remove poverty, murder, and racism.

Firstly, I don't see the conspiracy. Secondly, most atheists would like religion to have less impact on society. Thirdly, I don't think any atheist is going to burn your bible and put you on a rack for your beliefs.

It appears to be one person saying he would like to see religion out of society. But he doesn't say he would be force that position. Indeed, he says "people seem singularly unwilling to relinquish this security blanket. That's really up to them".

Trust me, I know few atheists with lions and a team of gladiators. We will attempt to weaken religion by talking sense. But we accept that barriers are strong.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by melatonin

thank uou for your very civil reply and explanation. this is why i am asking. what's funny is that on what few actual atheist websites that i have visited, there does seem to be a willingness for civil discussion. it's mostly here that i see all the bashing going on. and almost hate between the two groups.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:01 AM
link   
If there is such a conspiracy, I want in on it.

My only exposure to Christians lately, where they are identifiable,
was the selfish people I lived next door to me, and the people on this website.
Oh and the christian kid who I brought home from school, a 24 year old virgin,
whose faith was bolstered in a bottle of booze.

I don't see a single redeeming quality in their beliefs.
"Live and let live, love one another"...I don't see it coming from this crowd.
I see reactionary preaching and sermonizing at every turn where it has
zero foundation.
I see the religious facilitating the insanity of others, despicable.
I see all kinds of metaphysical mumbo jumbo being spouted without a single shred of credible evidence to the claims.

If you don't want people to tell you that your beliefs are hogwash, then keep them to yourself.

This one of the first base rules of occult practice, the premise being that others profaning your belief diminishes the subconscious effectiveness of this belief.

However the base rule of religion seems to be "Go out and spread this nonsense, make a total ass of yourself, be ridiculed, its what is expected of you"

If you feel its necessary to defend your belief at every turn, then maybe you are hanging around in the wrong crowd. Have the sense to get out of situations that upset you, instead of playing victim at every turn.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Legalizer

What you fail to realize is that not everyone feels as you do. There are still many who welcome the message.
No, I do not believe in pushing something down someone's throat. If they say once, that they do not wish to hear it. That should be enough for anybody. Even the Bible says that we are not to persist. That we are to give the message only once.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by sizzle]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 01:19 AM
link   

thank uou for your very civil reply and explanation. this is why i am asking. what's funny is that on what few actual atheist websites that i have visited, there does seem to be a willingness for civil discussion. it's mostly here that i see all the bashing going on. and almost hate between the two groups.

There is as much bashing between the 'live and let live' and 'religion is corrosive' type of atheists, heh.

But in all my time in discussions with other atheists, not once have I heard one say we should force people to relinquish their relgious beliefs. I would prefer it to disappear, that's my opinion. But I would never, ever, want you to do it on my accord. I would never support such forceful ideas. In fact, I would defend your right to hold such beliefs.

I want you to lose religion because you see it makes no sense

I think most atheists would like society to grow beyond such beliefs. But most of us are rational humanists.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join