It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'

rawstory.com

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.abovepolitics.com...

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Wow.

Lets Change The Constitution? Hmmm. This guy is nuts IMHO.
He also said: 'We have signed up to be part of God's Army, to be soldiers for Christ'

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
There really is not much to say, other than, and excuse me for the cliche, he puts the mental in fundamentalist.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Well I feel sorry for the born again fundamentalist Christian politician he most be really in big desperation to talk the way he does, just to get the votes of the Christians in this nation.

He is pitiful

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Well, no surprise there.

What is a surprise is that he's so straightforward about it.

I swear, a Constitutional Amendment over this issue?

You know, for the amount of energy religious fundamentalists (actually, that's an unfair generalization - there are some fundamentalists out there that don't demand the right to force their views on everyone else) spend worrying about sexual issues, you'd think the Bible is just one big list of sexual no-no's.

It's been a while, but I had the impression it covered quite a bit more ground than that

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Yes, just what the nation needs, 4 more years of a Theocracy, the likes of which will make the Bush adminstrations pandering to the religious right seem tame by comparison.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
If there is one thing that frightens me more than Huckabee and his ideologies, it is how much support he and they might have.

The Harris brothers, 19-year-old evangelical authors and speakers who grew up steeped in the conservative Christian movement, are the creators of Huck’s Army, an online network that has connected 12,000 Huckabee campaign volunteers, including several hundred in Michigan, which votes Tuesday, and South Carolina, which votes Saturday. MSNBC

The 2004 survey of Religion and politics in the United States identified the Evangelical percentage of the population at 26.3%; while Catholics are 22% and Mainline Protestants make up 16%. Wikipedia

Although the support seems lacking as far as fundraising is concerned.

The Baptist minister knows he faces fundraising challenges but has said money shouldn't be a consideration for voters. He's been calling on big Arkansas donors, including real estate and banking tycoons, to raise money for him. But after the 3rd Quarter, he's still struggling to catch up to candidates who have raised tens of millions of dollars more than he has. Open Secrets

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Wow, strong rhetoric. Im going to shoot myself if this guy actually becomes the next president. All hope will be lost!

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Relax tin foil hats. He is more than likely talking of getting rid of bad amendments not making new ones. The guy is not bad like you think he is just because he is religious. I know you all want Ron Paul however right now that looks like a pipe dream and he would be the last person I would want in office if a big country like China or Russia started getting hostile with us. Otherwise I like what he wants to do for us.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:15 PM
link   
thats exactly what we need, another religious idiot in a position of power..

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
As much as I like and respect Huckabee, let;s let God do what God does and not disrepect the Founding Fathers until these additions indicate that the rule and laws of the Universal Alliance is still in full effect....and yes, to all you atheist scientists out there, this means even the ones you haven't "discovered" yet.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I respect Huckabee and he's entitled to his beliefs, but he should leave the Constitution alone. Especially the part about the separation of church and state. It's served America well for two hundred years. No one who disrespects the Constitution should be trusted with the office of president.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
In it's original context, the Constitution is , for the most part, in agreement with the Bible. Our founding fathers used the Ten Commandments as a basis for "man's" law. Throughout the years, the Constitution as well as corresponding state & federal laws, have been changed via amendments to reflect man's interpretation of present day trends. In other words, what the majority felt was too restrictive or condeming in the original law was changed to make their "lifestyles" or "choices" lawful. I for one, would welcome more Biblical influence in the judicial branch. "One nation Under God".

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
man i realy hope he dosent win just what i need some politician ammending the contitution to go hand and hand with the bible . and i thought i was looked at unfavorably for being pagan before i can just imagine what will happen if huckelberry gets his way.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Just wondering here... a few have mentioned that it's not actually the constitution that huckabee wants changed, but rather a few of the ammendments, and they've also agreed that some should be changed. just wondering, which ones would you like to have changed?

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
Relax tin foil hats. He is more than likely talking of getting rid of bad amendments not making new ones. The guy is not bad like you think he is just because he is religious. I know you all want Ron Paul however right now that looks like a pipe dream and he would be the last person I would want in office if a big country like China or Russia started getting hostile with us. Otherwise I like what he wants to do for us.

UH , which amendments are bad?? I never heard of any bad ones.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
So much for this nation being founded on the separation of Church and State. Freedom of religion is freedom FROM religion.

And who is to say WHICH God we should Align with, There are many to choose from and many different ways to worship them. Personally, I vote for The Flying Spaghetti Monster. FSM is a God worth kowtowing to.

Ramen.

As for Huckabeebop.... he is nuts.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
There is really no good way to amend the constitution and add religion to it that would make it more valuable a legal document than it already is.

It's not anti religion, it's not anti christianity, it allows a freedom of religion and from religion. Any religious additions to it would harm the constitution, and thereby the country. It would restrict more freedoms, and fail to grant any new privilege or right to anyone, including the christians, unless by right, you mean the right to legally condemn all non christian religions and peoples as false, and wrong.

Hm. You know, I can't remember any country in living memory that decided that their government had a right to dictate good and bad religions to the masses... none at all..

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mizzu
Our founding fathers used the Ten Commandments as a basis for "man's" law.

Care to back this statement up? Show us the evidence please.

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
the likes of which will make the Bush adminstrations pandering to the religious right seem tame by comparison.

Funniest comment I ever heard on the net was shortly after Bush alluded to how he "believed god spoke through him."

>>"If god speaks through George Bush, then god must be pretty f-in' stupid."

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join