It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards'

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SimonSays

Well, Simon,

I am sorry, but if you are 'against' homosexuality, then you must also be 'against' any other genetic trait that you disapprove of.

Perhaps, instead, if you understood the complexity of the Human condition you would be less dismissive, and would know love and acceptance...that is, after all, what Christianity is all about, n'est pas?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:32 PM
link   

But I do firmly believe that
homosexuality is a sin because my bible tells me that which is why
God destroyed the entire city of Sodom and Gomorrah by turning
them all into salt.

In the Bible, God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah for their lack of compassion & inhospitality to strangers, and their threat to rape his messengers, not for homosexuality.

Now this was the sin of Sodom: She and her daughters were arrogant, overfed and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy. They were haughty and did detestable things before me. Therefore I did away with them as you have seen.
—Ezekiel 16:49-50

An unambiguous condemnation of homosexual behavior occurs in Leviticus, however this is the same part of the Bible that lists Jewish dietary laws that Christians no longer follow.

Also, there are reasons to believe that Jesus himself seemed unconcerned by homosexuality. The story of Jesus healing a Roman soldier's "servant" in Matthew 8:5-13 and Luke 7:1-10 should be an eye opener, when you realize that in the original Greek the word the Roman soldier uses to refer to his friend is pais - a word traditionally used for a same sex lover.

Then again, the Jesus of the Gospels is remarkable for his tolerance and compassion - a trait his followers would do well to emulate.

[edit on 1/16/08 by xmotex]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Totalstranger
that statement sounds almost psychopathic. If he wins the election, and you guys can hold me to this, I'll renounce my citizenship.

That is provided somebody else gives you citizenship, otherwise it would be seen as a breach of international human rights which requires that everybody has a right to citizenship.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
Perhaps, instead, if you understood the complexity of the Human condition you would be less dismissive, and would know love and acceptance...that is, after all, what Christianity is all about, n'est pas?

The problem with that line is that there is only love and acceptance to God creations. By that logic one could argue that Christianity asks people to embrace the devil, where it does not.

As for your assertion that it is a "genetic condition". That is again 'debatable' and has not been conclusively proved to be so.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
I am shocked and disturbed that he said this. I will never cast a vote for him.

DCP

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by memoir

He never said that the Bible should be the official law of the land. He said change the law so it would be in God's standards. If you think he wants to incorporate the examples you listed in the constitution i would say that you should go out this weekend and break a couple of bible rules and relax.

today if your kid misbehaves and you spank him it's child abuse, send him to bed without dinner...starving your kid and that's child endangerment.

Personally i don't like Huckabee, but he is talking about working hard, being a good person, and all the "soft" christian stuff that is preached on Sunday. he is not talking about putting in stoning into the constitution

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
In the Bible, God destroys Sodom and Gomorrah for their lack of compassion & inhospitality to strangers, and their threat to rape his messengers, not for homosexuality.

Technically that's not completely true.

In Genesis 18, God informs Abraham that he plans to destroy the city of Sodom because of its gross immorality. Abraham pleads with God not to destroy Sodom, and God agrees that he would not destroy the city if there were 50 righteous people in it, then 45, then 30, then 20, or even ten righteous people. The Lord's two angels only found one righteous person living in Sodom, Abraham's nephew Lot. Consequently, God destroyed the city.

Link

Lack of compassion and inhospitality is not "gross immorality". Sodom and Gomorrah was destroyed because of immoral and deviant sexual behavior.

Peace

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
To all those claiming this isn't a big deal because he can't single handedly change it himself... think about it,- think think think about it

We all understand that amending the Constitution is not a process that can be done by one crackpot in an oval office, but let us not let that deter from the fact the guy making these statements is still running to be the "leader of the free world"

had to laugh at that last part.

I don't care if he can amend the Constitution in his ways or not, I don't want a president who wants to make the foundation of my country reflect the views of his imaginary friend. There's a fundamental character flaw there that kind of affects my view on how he might make decisions about things he can affect.

DCP

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

if the angles were male and the male populace threatened to rape male angles...that's gay.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

DCP,

I understand most of the examples I gave are extreme, but gay marriage is a hot topic these days - as is abortion.

I don't give a flying noodle if two guys wanna get hitched up, as long as I'm not one of them. Them getting married doesn't affect me in any way what-so-ever.

I also think if you're a woman bearing an unwanted child that you can't possibly take care of after it's born, end it. By all means, destroy the fetus. Then celebrate that you're not bringing another unwanted, unloved parasite into this world.

An amazing fact is that those last two paragraphs are my opinion. Your opinion may be different (not saying it is, just that it may be). Go one way on those topics and you hurt fundamentalist feelings, go the other way and you hurt liberal-thinker's feelings.

In Huckabee's view, there is a right and a wrong -- there isn't two sides of it for him. That, I feel, is dangerous. That his imaginary friend, according to him, says so and we must thereby all abide by it.

I say bullhockey.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by memoir

Wait a minute, memoir...

We have a 'president' NOW who listens to Jesus...damn, we are screwed.

DCP

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
The foundation of America is on Christian values. Since the first congress there has been a chaplain to open the session and every President placed his hand on the bible

If Huckabee is truly believes everything he is saying that means that every decision he makes he makes believing that he has to answer to his god. If one does not believe in a higher power then them, and if that person becomes president, then that individual will see them self as the highest power in the world. (Unless you believe in NWO, the president of the US of A is the most powerful person on the planet) I trust someone answering to a jewish carpenter much more then to a person who is only answering to them self.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

Yeah, and we've progressed so much and so well in the past eight years. I mean, I can't even count all of the amazing accomplishments. The world is definitely a safer, cleaner, better place to live in.

Ok, now I'm just being bitter and becoming 'rantish'. I'll stop now while I've only started to fall behind.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Thank you for proving my point, albeit unintentionally.

You seem to have forgotten what the word morality really means, it's not a concept that refers exclusively or even primarily to sex!

Lack of compassion and inhospitality ARE "gross immorality".
Indeed they are subjects the Bible puts a great deal more emphasis on than any sexual vice by far.
Lack of compassion is grossly immoral.
Inhospitality (especially in a desert region where travelers must depend on the kindness of strangers) is grossly immoral.

Only in our somewhat warped modern view, where "immorality" suddenly bears a strongly sexual connotation, and the Bible is seen primarily as a list of sexual "no-no's", is this hard to see - but as I have had to point out a few times in the last several days (to self-described religious folks who don't seem to actually have read it), the Bible covers a lot more ground than that

[edit on 1/16/08 by xmotex]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DCP

Nope, sorry.

There is nothing about Christianity ANYWHERE in our founding principles. God is mentioned...perhaps you are confusing YOUR God with THEIR God...you do not know what THEIR God was...didn't you get the point?

Our Founders wanted a Nation that was impervious to religious influences...yes, feel free to worship any way you want, but DO NOT impose your point of view on any one else!! It is that simple.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by DCP
reply to post by xmotex

if the angles were male and the male populace threatened to rape male angles...that's gay.

And the idea that the "gay" part that is the issue, and not the "rape" part, is a sign of just how badly warped the culture has become

I'm an agnostic, so I don't really care, frankly.

But if Jesus does come back I think some people are in for one hell of a surprise

DCP

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by memoir

There is right and wrong.

gay issue is hot these days so is teachers having sex with their students. My understanding was that Marry was a young girl(early teens) and Joesph was older(late teens), or in other words Joseph would have been locked up for statutory and many other crimes in today world. I don't think Hukabee wants teachers having sex with their kids, but i see what you are getting at, but everyone's opinions are not right.

that women carring that unwanted child more then likely took part in an act to consume that child. If she knows she doesn't want a child don't do the act to make the child, or at least use protection. I guess that is one of god's law but i always thought it was common sense.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
If we're going to have the Constitution revolve around superstition (which is just a stupid idea,) I think we should amend the constitution to be in Wicca's standards. Now, I myself am not a Wiccan. I am an atheist. However when you look at the standards of Christianity (Obey me or burn forever) in comparison to those of Wicca (An' it harm none, do as ye will) then we have a clear indication of whose religion promotes a freer, happier, and more tolerant society.

A vote for Huckabee is apparently a vote to throw that free happy tolerant thing out the window. Who needs it, when we can use much more appropriate standards such as, "When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy. (Deuteronomy 7:1-2)"

DCP

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by weedwhacker

yes, you are right, they did not say Christianity in any founding documents. BUT...they didn't want a nation that was impervious to religion influences. They just wanted the opposite of England where the monarch was the head of the church. So what the president said couldn't be the word of god, but the word of man.

Why would they take their oath on the bible instead of the constitution if the didn't want a religious influence.

Look at the actions over words, i mean, take this founding principle of the American government...all men are created equal. so how were there slaves??

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xmotex
But if Jesus does come back I think some people are in for one hell of a surprise

Only if we become the judge ourselves. I may disagree with something, but I never judge, at least I try not to. People make their own choices and are solely responsible for themselves. When the time comes, it will not be I who passes judgement.

As far as my response to you originally and your reply, what if someone came to your door who you knew was an ex-con and asked for shelter in your home, what would you do?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join