It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I have a signal

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Everything you need to know is right here. The screensaver graphics are explained towards the bottom.

The bottom line is, you can't tell anything by looking at the screensaver. I don't think SETI@Home will really find anything, not for the next ten or twenty years anyway.

I used to do lots of SETI@Home, but I think I might do something like Folding@Home, something useful...

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Thanks mattguy404 for your direction for ATSers just like smans did earlier, we were on the edge of our seats last night with the OPs discovery, but like you I smelled a fish, but we all must believe that some day the connection will be made with another solar system, you know it felt good and it brought back old memories with BOINC and me as well.

If ATSers really want to experience this sensation then just watch the movie "Contact" with Jody Foster and you will see just whats going on in SETI, but for a moment last night it made the blood flow a little faster, thanks to the OP, even if it was his screen saver that he was recording.

Do you think he will return to ATS anytime soon if it proves false, we shall see, right, just one of those jumping to conclusions moments, youth.

I remember those days of chasing spurs on an HP spectrum analyzer and the thought of contact long before the movie Contact ever came out, what moments those were, gwhint

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
I looked at the wow bu they had the large bars and then they go back to the skinny bars which are normal.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404

Why would SETI want to keep anything that's found a secret?? They're very very low on funding, and have nothing to show for it, they'd be clambering to show something conclusive.

I agree with this statement. But if SETI did get a signal you can bet your pants that NASA or some "other" agency found out about it before the public did. From there I can easily forecast a shutdown in the info train.

There are just too many coercion stories that float around for me not to give this idea a plausible base of consideration.. \

Who was the senior member of SETI that quit?

I'm off to my armchair detective job again..

b

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bspiracy

Why would SETI want to keep anything that's found a secret?? They're very very low on funding, and have nothing to show for it, they'd be clambering to show something conclusive.

I agree with this statement. But if SETI did get a signal you can bet your pants that NASA or some "other" agency found out about it before the public did. From there I can easily forecast a shutdown in the info train.

That's completely true as well. There's no way that SETI would be able to announce that they found something conclusive with solid evidence of ET. The rest of the world right now is a powder keg, imagine the religious lobby for one thing. It'd be one big huge mess.

However, like they did in 2004, they'd be able to say they found 'something' but still pass it off as 'nothing' - plausible deniability.

posted on Jan, 14 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
What in the hell do you mean you have a "signal"? They're already here. --------------PC

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 04:37 AM
link   

However, like they did in 2004, they'd be able to say they found 'something' but still pass it off as 'nothing' - plausible deniability.

Or the public never gets real signals and SETI@Home is just a mask.

Not even Berkley would know because the tapes are filtered before going out and the public is just crunching crap or some other data for Berkley.

Looking at this capture the whole 13 month thing stinks of "purposeful delay".

posted on Jan, 15 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
just posted this thread to another, sorry if ii am way off but i'm still very new to all this, but oculd these be the same?

www.abovetopsecret.com... e=1#pid3895687

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by IllumUA
What do you look for in thoose pictures? I just started it on my mac today and it gives me alot of bars, but I don't know what to look for

In short, your computer(not yourself, that's why its sort of a screen saver) is looking for signals that are different than background noise. If it finds a signal that's 3.5 times stronger than the background noise, and it lasts less than 12 seconds, then you have a winner.

The program also looks for periodic signals.

To answer the OP question, I don't think he needs to do anything. The same signal his computer worked on was analyzed by other computers as well. If anything out of the ordinary is found, the data will be flagged and sent to SETI, and if the flagged data from his computer matches the data collected by the other computers, then the signal will be further examined by SETI. If it's found to be of extraterrestrial origins, then all the people whose computers worked on that data will be credited of such discovery.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by daniel_g]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Kind of odd that you had this signal about the same time as this Texas UFO thing, think it may be related? or just nothing.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Everything is related both Seti and disclosure at one point the Texas sightings are the liberty bell for disclosure everytime you see a UFO I understand they can cloak it was diliberate now the USAF planes stirred up the pot and pan

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
There is news that SETI has found a possible signal, posted just today.

There are a lot of weird things going on here ...

SETI Gets Possible Hit, ET is Calling

Researchers across the globe are abuzz with the possibility that SETI has found a signal from another civilization. The mystery signal was picked up by the giant Arecibo radio telescope.

Dan Wertheimer, of UC Berkeley SETI, said that the signal may never be decoded leaving them stumped as to how to respond. "We'll know something's out there, but we won't know much about their civilization."

Researchers are at odds as to what message should be sent back with suggestions ranging from “Hello, Welcome” to “Don’t eat us.” Wertheimer said, “we really don't know what we're up to, so we need to be careful."

shortnews.com...

There is no date on this story, but it was posted today the 16th of January. This is very strange, especially considering the sighting in Texas. Is something big about to happen?

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by keeff
just posted this thread to another, sorry if ii am way off but i'm still very new to all this, but oculd these be the same?

www.abovetopsecret.com... e=1#pid3895687

That is the same story I posted just now too ... unfortunately, it has been taken off of that website. Quite strange, but I C&P'd it into "ex" tags in the post above for those that have missed it. The two stories were the same FYI.

[edit on 16-1-2008 by Enrikez]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

Brilliant thinking!

If it is related we will never know but still to check out the corresponding time OP would be most interesting indeed!

Thanks for a great thread by the way, good eye and excellent work for the betterment of ats.

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Bogus news reports that we found a "mystery" signal should be summarily ignored. This was a gross misinterpretation by a reporter of an quick comment Dan made off the record about AstroPulse progress and recently published millisecond pulsar findings by another group. These are new stellar phenomena which are astronomically interesting (and AstroPulse hopes to find many of) but not ET. Sigh. SOURCE

Although there are those who will be quick to say that this denial of the supposed "mystery signal" is nothing more than a "cover up", I have to say that it is necessary to believe someone! I'll put my money on Matt Lebofsky a SETI project administrator, developer and scientist.

While it is exciting to think that we have finally found a "signal" from an extraterrestrial origin, it's not the alien intelligence that we all seek!

[edit on 1/16/2008 by benevolent tyrant]

posted on Jan, 16 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
Any more word from the ATS member who was picking up signals for 2 hours (if Im correct) on the 13th? Has he contacted SETI with the info? Any other SETI@Home users get these signals?

The news says that SETI received this misreported .005 sec burst a MONTH ago.
Other news says this same location has generated signals before amounting to just a few minutes.

Is it a coincidence that this ATS member writes in on the 13th that he's getting signals and 2 days later a report hits the wire that Arecibo has said they received signals 'this week' but now its written off as a misunderstanding?

Need more follow up.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:23 AM
link   
While I applaud the SETI efforts, and I wish all great luck and success, if it hasn't been pointed out, I'd like to take the opportunity to do so...for those visitors that may not know.

Many feel that since we haven't detected a signal yet, it means nothing is out there. These folks need to be educated on all of the variables involved here. The Universe could be teeming with life and sending out signals left and right, but that STILL doesn't mean we'd detect a signal.

Huh? How could this be? Here's how:

Finding an alien signal is akin to searching a beach for a particular grain of sand. First off, lets consider there is an alien civilization that discovered and used similar radio/television, etc. devices. This civilization could have existed 10,000 years ago, or maybe longer, or maybe just 5,000 years ago. Lets say they used these waves for about 500 years or so, before going to something new, that we haven't discovered yet or cannot detect with current tech. But, the civilization is over 100,000 light years away. That means that all of those radio/tv waves are STILL on their way here!

This is the problem faced by SETI. We'd need to find just the right civilization, at just the right time, in just the right part of sky, etc. The chances are slim, even if the Universe is teeming with civilizations, due to the distances involved and time it takes signals to travel...but that certainly doesn't mean we can't look and hope. After all, we're just the right civilization, at just the right distance, from a star that is just the right size and stability, so who knows?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Its odd that a news story comes out today regarding a possible "wow" signal received by SETI and coincidentally, ATS has a new member join today and posts in the Area 51 and other Facilities hinting at a possible future discloser of some kind. One of the common links between Area 51 and SETI is the extraterrestrial connection.

The link to this poster can be found here.

Coincidence? Perhaps, but if they are connected, then it could provide a few answers we all want to hear. I for one will keep my eyes on this poster [no_one817] just to see what develops.

*SNIP*

Mod edit: Removed a link

[edit on 2008/1/17 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:07 PM
link   
EDIT: NOTE!!! - DONT Click on the link the last post, last line above. It points to malware, that will hijack your browser. I have registered a complaint.

I have been following this thread (among others) but am a little confused as to what actually went on. Did anyone get a definite yes or no from the SETI experts on the signal Hello12345 found?

As someone else noted it is quite curious that this and the supposedly bogus news report about SETI finding a signal happened at the same time? I am thinking honey pots!

Could someone please fill in the gaps for the less educated people? What happened to the date on this signal? Was it confirmed to be 13months old? Why did the experts think this is not the real deal (if they did say this)?

Thanks!

[edit on 1/17/2008 by 2believeor0]

[edit on 1/17/2008 by 2believeor0]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hello123456

why don't post some of the pics here?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join