It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do we follow somethings in the bible and not others...?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is in response to the homosexuality debate. Yes, in Leviticus 18:22, the bible does expressly forbid homosexuality and that is all that the bible thumpers need to spew venom at the unclean. There are other passages in the bible that we do not follow and I think if you accept the gay verse, you should be more than willing to accept these too.

Birth Defects: Lev 21: 17"Speak to Aaron, saying: "No man of your descendants in succeeding generations, who has any defect, may approach to offer the bread of his God. 18For any man who has a defect shall not approach: a man blind or lame, who has a marred face or any limb too long, 19a man who has a broken foot or broken hand, 20or is a hunchback or a dwarf, or a man who has a defect in his eye, or eczema or scab, or is a eunuch. 21No man of the descendants of Aaron the priest, who has a defect, shall come near to offer the offerings made by fire to the LORD. He has a defect; he shall not come near to offer the bread of his God.

Shellfish: Lev 11: 10But all in the seas or in the rivers that do not have fins and scales, all that move in the water or any living thing which is in the water, they are an abomination to you. 11They shall be an abomination to you; you shall not eat their flesh, but you shall regard their carcasses as an abomination. 12Whatever in the water does not have fins or scales--that shall be an abomination to you.

Sunday work: Exodus 35: 2Work shall be done for six days, but the seventh day shall be a holy day for you, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it shall be put to death. 3You shall kindle no fire throughout your dwellings on the Sabbath day."

Women and their "Cycle": Lev 15: 19"If a woman has a discharge, and the discharge from her body is blood, she shall be set apart seven days; and whoever touches her shall be unclean until evening. 20Everything that she lies on during her impurity shall be unclean; also everything that she sits on shall be unclean. 21Whoever touches her bed shall wash his clothes and bathe in water, and be unclean until evening. 22And whoever touches anything that she sat on shall wash his clothes and bathe in water, and be unclean until evening. 23If anything is on her bed or on anything on which she sits, when he touches it, he shall be unclean until evening. 24And if any man lies with her at all, so that her impurity is on him, he shall be unclean seven days; and every bed on which he lies shall be unclean.

Slavery: Exodus 21: 7"And if a man sells his daughter to be a female slave, she shall not go out as the male slaves do. 8If she does not please her master, who has betrothed her to himself, then he shall let her be redeemed. He shall have no right to sell her to a foreign people, since he has dealt deceitfully with her. 9And if he has betrothed her to his son, he shall deal with her according to the custom of daughters. 10If he takes another wife, he shall not diminish her food, her clothing, and her marriage rights.

Reblious Children: Deut 21: 18 "If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, 19then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. 20And they shall say to the elders of his city, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.' 21Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear.

Infidelity: Numbers 5: 11 And the LORD spoke to Moses, saying, 12"Speak to the children of Israel, and say to them: "If any man's wife goes astray and behaves unfaithfully toward him, 13and a man lies with her carnally, and it is hidden from the eyes of her husband, and it is concealed that she has defiled herself, and there was no witness against her, nor was she caught-- 14if the spirit of jealousy comes upon him and he becomes jealous of his wife, who has defiled herself; or if the spirit of jealousy comes upon him and he becomes jealous of his wife, although she has not defiled herself-- 15then the man shall bring his wife to the priest. He shall bring the offering required for her, one-tenth of an ephah of barley meal; he shall pour no oil on it and put no frankincense on it, because it is a grain offering of jealousy, an offering for remembering, for bringing iniquity to remembrance.
16"And the priest shall bring her near, and set her before the LORD. 17The priest shall take holy water in an earthen vessel, and take some of the dust that is on the floor of the tabernacle and put it into the water. 18Then the priest shall stand the woman before the LORD, uncover the woman's head, and put the offering for remembering in her hands, which is the grain offering of jealousy. And the priest shall have in his hand the bitter water that brings a curse. 19And the priest shall put her under oath, and say to the woman, "If no man has lain with you, and if you have not gone astray to uncleanness while under your husband's authority, be free from this bitter water that brings a curse. 20But if you have gone astray while under your husband's authority, and if you have defiled yourself and some man other than your husband has lain with you"-- 21then the priest shall put the woman under the oath of the curse, and he shall say to the woman--"the LORD make you a curse and an oath among your people, when the LORD makes your thigh rot and your belly swell; 22and may this water that causes the curse go into your stomach, and make your belly swell and your thigh rot."

Changing Religion: Deut 13: 6"If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and serve other gods,' which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, 7of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, 8you shall not consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; 9but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Dead Brother with no heir: Deut 25: 5 "If brothers dwell together, and one of them dies and has no son, the widow of the dead man shall not be married to a stranger outside the family; her husband's brother shall go in to her, take her as his wife, and perform the duty of a husband's brother to her. 6And it shall be that the firstborn son which she bears will succeed to the name of his dead brother, that his name may not be blotted out of Israel. 7But if the man does not want to take his brother's wife, then let his brother's wife go up to the gate to the elders, and say, "My husband's brother refuses to raise up a name to his brother in Israel; he will not perform the duty of my husband's brother.' 8Then the elders of his city shall call him and speak to him. But if he stands firm and says, "I do not want to take her,' 9then his brother's wife shall come to him in the presence of the elders, remove his sandal from his foot, spit in his face, and answer and say, "So shall it be done to the man who will not build up his brother's house.'

Masturbation: Gen 38: 8And Judah said to Onan, "Go in to your brother's wife and marry her, and raise up an heir to your brother." 9But Onan knew that the heir would not be his; and it came to pass, when he went in to his brother's wife, that he emitted on the ground, lest he should give an heir to his brother. 10And the thing which he did displeased the LORD; therefore He killed him also.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Because Christians like to pick and choose depending on what their aggenda is. Your not going to get a response to this by any of the Bible thumpers because they don't have any defense against this and like so many other threads they ignore this discrepency. I also think that if they are going to follow the Bilbe word for word on one passage that they should practice what they preach and follow it ALL not just what they want to follow.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I was hoping that a few of them might have felt froggy and jumped at the chance to defend their actions...

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:09 PM
link   
You're prediction seems right, no responses yet.

I have often wondered about this myself. When asked, I get a response of, " the New Testament, the words of Jesus Christ, are the true laws to follow. Yet they will quote any book from the Old Testament in a hearbeat. When told that many of the passages of the OT make no sense whatsoever, (creation of man and woman who spawned humanity, giants, people living to 900 years of age, the Flood and Noah, Jonah and the Whale, etc., etc.) they claim that those were just 'stories', having moral values. But what about the rest of it? Do they pick and choose what is just a 'story', and what was to them 'factual'?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The bible buffet!

The world is lucky that Christains do not follow everything in the bible.

It was of course, obviously written by men who must of been displeased or grossed out with everything but themselves...!

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Still no responses, huh?

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:37 PM
link   
I'm a Christian and agree with everything that the first post said. You make some very interesting points. Good points. Im not gonna sit here and try to clean my own hands of ever doing any of that. We ALL do it. Believers, Non-believers, etc... We ALL make mistakes. I dont know why you all look for things to persecute Christians about. We make one little mistake and you jump all over us. there has only been ONE person who has lived a sinless life in history, Jesus Christ. Just ONE. We're human and sin is in our nature.... that became official when satan deceived adam and eve into eating the forbidden fruit. And thats reason Christ died on the cross for us.... because we sin and its in our nature... but He died so we wouldnt have to spend eternity in hell. We can ask for forgiveness and the Lord will give it to us.... we can ask him into our hearts and we will be Saved for all eternity to spend it in heaven.

Most of you will probably make some sort of joke about this post... but one day people will realize that they had the chance to accept Christ as their Lord and Savior. satan will make you remember that when you are under his rules.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
No-one is making fun or pointing fingers. This topic probably came up becuase it's the truth. Evangelists will spurt out biblical passages that suit their needs, but refrain from quoting others. If it says in Leviticus, that an adulteress should be stoned to death, or that to eat shellfish is wrong, why are these passages overlooked?

By the way, under Satans rule? Well, I don't know anything about that, but I would still love to hear his side of the story! The bible is rather biased if you ask me
, hehe

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:49 PM
link   
I'm not saying ALL Christians follow the bible word for word. After all, I lead a lifestyle that is of Judeo-Christian morals and standards, for the most part. This topic is for all of those people that gay bash because it is in the bible.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Those contradictions are what make me believe that the bible has been changed by man. Although, I am a Christian, I dont believe everything in the bible, simply because some of the things are ridiculous.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Heres a response

I'm a Christian and agree with everything that the first post said. You make some very interesting points. Good points. Im not gonna sit here and try to clean my own hands of ever doing any of that. We ALL do it. Believers, Non-believers, etc... We ALL make mistakes. I dont know why you all look for things to persecute Christians about. We make one little mistake and you jump all over us. there has only been ONE person who has lived a sinless life in history, Jesus Christ. Just ONE. We're human and sin is in our nature.... that became official when satan deceived adam and eve into eating the forbidden fruit. And thats reason Christ died on the cross for us.... because we sin and its in our nature... but He died so we wouldnt have to spend eternity in hell. We can ask for forgiveness and the Lord will give it to us.... we can ask him into our hearts and we will be Saved for all eternity to spend it in heaven.

Most of you will probably make some sort of joke about this post... but one day people will realize that they had the chance to accept Christ as their Lord and Savior. satan will make you remember that when you are under his rules.

Some sacrifice, If I didnt know any better, I would say that this world is Hell.
This is the type of " Inside the box " thinking that has left so many in a state of repression.

For you to say that " Jesus " was the " One " and " only " who lived a life without sin, is the most astigmatic view one could fathom. Does a child who dies from starvation die from " sin ", was this child born sinfull?

This theology accrues so much Guilt on Man, and only through the acceptance of Chirst is he gratified.

How can you possibly believe that Only one man Lived without " Sin ".

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
The fact that man changed it to suit his whim makes for a strong case against believing that homosexuality is wrong.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Reblious Children: Deut 21: 18 "If a man has a stubborn and rebellious son who will not obey the voice of his father or the voice of his mother, and who, when they have chastened him, will not heed them, 19then his father and his mother shall take hold of him and bring him out to the elders of his city, to the gate of his city. 20And they shall say to the elders of his city, "This son of ours is stubborn and rebellious; he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton and a drunkard.' 21Then all the men of his city shall stone him to death with stones; so you shall put away the evil from among you, and all Israel shall hear and fear.

so it's okay to stone a child to death for not listening to his or her parents? Isn't that murder????So the bible does condone murder, doesn't it??

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Changing Religion: Deut 13: 6"If your brother, the son of your mother, your son or your daughter, the wife of your bosom, or your friend who is as your own soul, secretly entices you, saying, "Let us go and serve other gods,' which you have not known, neither you nor your fathers, 7of the gods of the people which are all around you, near to you or far off from you, from one end of the earth to the other end of the earth, 8you shall not consent to him or listen to him, nor shall your eye pity him, nor shall you spare him or conceal him; 9but you shall surely kill him; your hand shall be first against him to put him to death, and afterward the hand of all the people. 10And you shall stone him with stones until he dies, because he sought to entice you away from the LORD your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage.

Self-Expainitory.

Thier is nothing wrong with Homosexuality. All who condone it will soley burn in the hell of thier own ignorance.

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

so it's okay to stone a child to death for not listening to his or her parents? Isn't that murder????So the bible does condone murder, doesn't it??

No man shall shed Blood, actauly. Hey, lets just Hang the Bloody Bloke anyways! No Blood!

Deep

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
If we stoned a few more kids to death than this country would be back in the good graces of God.

Hell why stop there? Lets burn some homos and pagans and what about those uppity women? Hell lets burn them too there probebly witches anyway

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 05:08 PM
link   
12 And thou shalt have a place also without the camp, whither thou shalt go forth abroad:
13 And thou shalt have a paddle upon thy weapon; and it shall be, when thou wilt ease thyself abroad, thou shalt dig therewith, and shalt turn back and cover that which cometh from thee:

'Doody'onomy 23:12,13

Good field sanitation guidelines from the Father of Israel

[Edited on 18-3-2004 by DeltaChaos]

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroDeep

Heres a response

Some sacrifice, If I didnt know any better, I would say that this world is Hell.
This is the type of " Inside the box " thinking that has left so many in a state of repression.

For you to say that " Jesus " was the " One " and " only " who lived a life without sin, is the most astigmatic view one could fathom. Does a child who dies from starvation die from " sin ", was this child born sinfull?

This theology accrues so much Guilt on Man, and only through the acceptance of Chirst is he gratified.

How can you possibly believe that Only one man Lived without " Sin ".

Deep

if i didnt believe that then wouldnt i be doing what the title of this topic arues against? thats what we are taught by the Bible....

i apologize for going on about people jumping all over christians...ive seen it in other threads and on other sites and whatever whatever.... i guess i was just in anticipation.

In other news: i saw a police chase on the way home tonight!!! thats was a first for me.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 08:31 PM
link   
My reason for this post was not to attack Christians in general, but more for those who gay bash and point to the good scriptures as a reason. I just want some explanation why they don't follow the other things in the bible.

posted on Feb, 11 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

I just want some explanation why they don't follow the other things in the bible.

You will never get it, then they would have to take an honest look at what they saying and doing

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join