It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Truth about Facebook!!!!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:01 AM
link   
Hey applogies if this is already a thread. My friend sent me this link the other day and I was shocked to say the least..... well actually not that shocked!

Are you a Facebook user? Whether you are or you aren't you have to watch this video its amazing how they have managed to swindel over 43 million people!!

check it out........

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
It's true. As far as Internet Privacy Goes, face book is a stupid peoples worst nightmare.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 04:52 AM
link   
There was a thread about this awhile back.The ATS google should bring that up for you.
Unfortunately, the vast majority of sheeple would look at that vid and say "So,What?"
They just don't get it.
Including my sister, my mother, my brother,and my daughter.
Thank god my son understands.
My daughter, well, she's 17.It's all about the friends right now. I'm working on her.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

well to be fair, the second half of this video has to do with government and such. The Government can collect all the data it wants on me. I'm cool with that. I've nothing to hide, as the saying goes.

However it is the foolishness fact that people just add info and other people and before you know it, strangers and stalkers can get your info.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:16 AM
link   
through my work, I attend lots of conferences. The most recent one was on social networks.

I asked one question - "How do the younger people of today feel about giving away all this personal information just to sign up for a networking site?"

the reply was something along the lines of:

"That's not an issue. In fact, we have all been amazed at how much personal information kids are willing to give out these days. They can't seem to stop filling out surveys and questionnaires. It's like they don't even care about privacy, it's great."

I just sort of smiled and sat back down and secretly wished I had planted C4 somewhere in the building.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I live in the UK though, So do the CIA have jurisdiction(spelling?!) to gather my info?

Not that i have anything to hide... Honest

I was more concerned being a musician, that once you upload anything onto the site then Facebook technically owns the Sub-Liscence for your work>

That sucks! Imagine this (although incredibly unlikely),

You make a great song, you upload it, so your friends can have a listen, they love it, they pass it on to their friends.

Eventually a record company takes interest and before you know it you've got a number one single on your hands.

Then Mr facebook realizes that you uploaded it onto his site.. He then owns the sub licence so in theory can sell, distribute alter your orginal Master piece!!

Dodgy to say the least!!!

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Sandals24]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Sandals24

actually, they could just hire someone else to replay it, and cut you completely out of the loop, since you gave them permission to alter it as well!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The thread mentioned earlier is here: Facebook: A CIA front?

I use the data therein all the time when facebook is brought up in my group of friends.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Hey, yeah...that sucks.
But in all honesty, if you're willing to put all of that personal information about yourself up on the internet then you're kind of a dumbass anyways.
I mean, I have a myspace page, but it's not filled with a ton of personal information.
It has, at best a bunch of pics of me and some people and the bands I like.
Yeah I know, facebook is all the rage these days and people are gonna do what they're gonna do.
If you go on a tirade about how bad and nefarious it is, you're just gonna sound like a conspiracy nut.
So, let people do what they will.
Did you honestly think that the internet was gonna be without it's government-sponsored data mining?
This is the information age and information is power.
I'm all for personal privacy, but you have to be careful with what you sign up for on the internet (especially because of the fact that the internet is more of a concept than an actual place).
Okay, I'm gonna stop now because I think I'm starting to get on my own nerves.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I have a facebook profile but I use an alias,now Im thinking I may just scrap the thing altogther..

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung
Hey, yeah...that sucks.
But in all honesty, if you're willing to put all of that personal information about yourself up on the internet then you're kind of a dumbass anyways.
I mean, I have a myspace page, but it's not filled with a ton of personal information.
It has, at best a bunch of pics of me and some people and the bands I like.
Yeah I know, facebook is all the rage these days and people are gonna do what they're gonna do.
If you go on a tirade about how bad and nefarious it is, you're just gonna sound like a conspiracy nut.
Did you honestly think that the internet was gonna be without it's government-sponsored data mining?
This is the information age and information is power.
I'm all for personal privacy, but you have to be careful with what you sign up for on the internet (especially because of the fact that the internet is more of a concept than an actual place).
Okay, I'm gonna stop now because I think I'm starting to get on my own nerves.

My God, is the individual responsible for everything? Even the most insidious of environmental factors?

Keep blaming the victim....

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I have a Facebook account just so I can check up on what other people I know are doing... My own profile is just a picture of Beaker the Muppet and nothing else!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Um, okay so what exactly is the point of the CIA supposedly using Facebook as a data gathering operation? Anyone who has something to hide wouldn't likely be so stupid to post a bunch of controversial or dangerous information about themselves on a public website. Plus, I want to see some proof about these allegations. After all, I do have a Facebook account of my own.
While of course there are some things on Facebook that do raise suspicion like the fact that I cannot get access to the source code for Facebook, which could just be the fact that the creator, Mark Zuckerberg, may just have it in place to keep rival internet companies from stealing his coding and the like; or it could be a program setup to keep people from discovering the supposed CIA program.
If it is an operation for the CIA, then it would likely lead to a separate server area for the CIA. And I would imagine that whereever this server could lie, it would be likely that the servers would be transferred to a secure CIA zone through truck transport rather than risking it over a network transfer.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 09:46 PM
link   
There's a flip side for this in terms of the media as well. Here in Australia as news broke of our first soldier that was killed in Afghanistan a few months ago, the media published images of him lifted straight from his Facebook page, hours after his death was known. If everyone knows everything about everyone else, people shouldn't be surprised if their 'personal' information is available at will.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by spec_ops_wannabe

Are you implying the question, which I guess, that would be, "Why would CIA want to spy on innocents / civilians?", right?

Meh, I think it's more like probably the information awareness act. Knowledge is power, right? So, therefore...security?

[edit on 10-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by wu kung

Baah... baaaaah...
How does that excuse the government for spying?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
I deleted my myspace account because I was concerned about this type of data mining that is going on... and because who cares about social networking anyway? in world gone MADDDDD!!!!!.....

The thing that is concerning is how addicting it can be to just go on there and spill your whole being into some stupid little profile. I mean, myspace and facebook is a huge part of people's lives now.

The scary thing is that a whole lot of personal info about every single person who's used the internet since the day it was debuted is floating around out there somewhere in cyberspace, and the sad fact is that the government probably has data mining supercomputers in place that have captured extremely detailed information on all of us here in the US already, all thanks to the internet... and now, thanks to myspace and facebook and blogging and the likes, they no doubt have even more detailed files on the very inner workings of our minds. Just by searching the web, we are at risk of losing all of our privacy.

I'm afraid that the alterior motive of the internet has been data mining from day one. Since when does US government/military/intelligence license technology for public use just because they care about our comfort?

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sandals24
I live in the UK though, So do the CIA have jurisdiction(spelling?!) to gather my info?

Not that i have anything to hide... Honest

I was more concerned being a musician, that once you upload anything onto the site then Facebook technically owns the Sub-Liscence for your work>

That sucks! Imagine this (although incredibly unlikely),

You make a great song, you upload it, so your friends can have a listen, they love it, they pass it on to their friends.

Eventually a record company takes interest and before you know it you've got a number one single on your hands.

Then Mr facebook realizes that you uploaded it onto his site.. He then owns the sub licence so in theory can sell, distribute alter your orginal Master piece!!

Dodgy to say the least!!!

[edit on 10-1-2008 by Sandals24]

Hell they probably got the idea from your government, with your government having all those cameras all over the place now their starting to do that here. It seems like what ever your government can get away with over their ours will try it here. I don't put a whole lot of info about me on the internet and I would never put a pic of me on the internet either.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I would like to know, does the data mining operation apply to all social networking sites? After watching that video I quickly deleted my Bebo account.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 04:18 AM
link   
reply to post by UScitizen

Yeah we do like our Big Brother in the UK!! They still are trying to get ID cards mad mandatory. And who knows what they could put in a computer chipped card.

The thing with the cameras and its probabley the same in the US.. because every single shop has CCTV you are always caught on someones camera, so the government doesnt need to install video camera every where because the general public already have the camera in place.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join