It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. military reports "significant confrontation" between 5 Iranian vessels...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Interesting timing of this report when President Bush will be in Israel soon. This will more than likely add more points to the discussion there and let's hope that war is not the result.

Only time will tell I guess.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
let me put it like this insted :

I really do not like how U.s demonizes the iran, in the media and through their goverment, and then goes and pulls a move like this in the international political playing field. It's just immature and not right.

People like you shouldn't post in threads like this!!!
You cleary don't have a clue what you are babbling on about, go and educate your self then come back.

Any way this is clearly a serious issue. It's quite clear the Iranians are trying to provoke the US military into firing first.
It's a good job the US Navy held back, and a good job this has been reported to the media for the world to hear about.

This post warned for Personal Attack

Please review these links:
Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use
Mod Note: Courtesy is Mandatory
Mod Note: How Not To Be Banned From ATS

[edit on 1/7/2008 by Gools]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_

Originally posted by geocom

HMM so you are saying that it is not okay to sit in international waters?

Well if you don't mind Iran etc hanging around your waters, then I guess its OK!!

I'm a bit lost by your post--are you saying that international waters are our territory, and that the Iranians are trespassing? Or that US warships in the gulf are essentially trespassing because they are so close to Iranian waters?

In any event, the events as reported read like a B-movie scenario and I find it hard to swallow--the madness of the provocation and the last-minute reprieve scream a Simpson/Bruckheimer production.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by gottago

There is no International Water in the Strait of Hormuz. It's only 35 miles wide and split right down the middle between Iran and the countries on the opposite bank (Oman, UAE, etc). Most of the shipping lanes are actually in Iranian waters.

That doesn't give them the right to harass passing vessels of course. I wonder what they were trying to prove?

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:26 AM
link   
HAve people never heard of the cod wars? UK warships beinf rammed by icelanic fishing trawlers - shots wern`t fired then - and it was in international waters.

so if the USN had open fired then its a breach of international law and would have given Iran `just cause` to retiliate.

next we`ll see an iranian sub spooking a carrier i bet.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:27 AM
link   
what bothers me the most about this news is that all of you that've posted in this topic seem to just take what you hear in the media as truth. that's more dangerous that this supposed confrontation. i don't believe it for a second.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
I did not know the Iranians had boats in the Gulf of Tonkin.

Seriously, who do they think are going to buy this kind of crap. (No offense to the previous ATS'ers who have already bought it)

When in doubt, Flase Flag a war into existence.

USS Maine
Gulf Of Tonkin
Lusitania
Sept 11th
etc etc etc

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
so if the USN had open fired then its a breach of international law and would have given Iran `just cause` to retiliate.

How's that?

If they would have opened fire on them, it would have been in self defense since they were armed and approaching in an attack configuration. I have seen this done before, like I said above this is nothing new.

In case of the cod wars, were the fisherman armed with guns and rockets? If they weren't you are comparing two different things.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Navieko

we are dealing with muslim extremists---it is dangerous for us to try and use our normal common sense in trying to figure out what suicidal maniacs are up to.they really believe death suffered fighting their religious jihad gets them automatic voyage to heaven and reward of 70 she/camels and a little boy---you might as well go to an insane assylum and try to figure out what has made the inmates insane as to try interpret these iranians intentions

our troops/sailors should have blown them out of the water long before they got as close as 200 yards---these nuts will keep on pushing the envelope until they do get close enough to detonate themselves---as with the uss cole.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by COOL HAND

"I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes."

Hey, Cool Hand. Do you really believe this particular incident is a routine as you have suggested? I mean, that is quite the threat (if, indeed, the report and attributable quotes are accurate).

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Brad.T]

[edit on 7-1-2008 by Brad.T]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Do any of you remember the USS Cole bombing? This is not a gulf of Tonkin incident, it is a bad decision on the part of the Iranians. That is a test of response. How soon we forget the British soldiers that were taken by Iran also.

Fact is that any attack on the US Navy would bring direct retaliation and there would be no more Iranian navy. They would all be reefs....

This is an election year so get ready....

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Brad.T
"I am coming at you. You will explode in a couple of minutes."
Hey, Cool Hand. Do you really believe this particular incident is a routine as you have suggested? I mean, that is quite the threat (if, indeed, the report and attributable quotes are accurate).

They broadcast that kind of stuff all of the time over there. There is no way of knowing for sure if they were directing that at the Navy ships or not.

They know they can use the radio waves to spread terror and intimdation over there.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

this is just plainly stupid. not all people of iran are what you call 'extremists'. (actually very few of them are) this really is pathetic way of thinking. seriously grow up.

the US government are probably the worst 'extremists' on this earth, if you know anything about US foreign policy. they consistently force their way on others and conduct the worst acts of terrorism by far.

start reading books, stop watching tv.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by tetragrammation]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   
And So It Begins...

btw... we all know that those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mythatsabigprobe

Iran believes they have all of the rights and they will carry out actions of harassment or threats (or worse). We can't second guess them and can't rely on them -- too much extremism and hatred. What we do know is that they are threatened by the US presence.

Oh f'n well.....

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Ok, anyone with 2 functioning brain cells knows Iran is trying to start an incident with the US.

The real interesting point will be what the Russians and Chinese have to say/do about it????

Iran keeps begging to have its military destroyed and its government removed-one of these days it will get just what it so richly deserves.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tetragrammation
reply to post by yahn goodey

this is just plainly stupid. not all people of iran are what you call 'extremists'. (actually very few of them are) this really is pathetic way of thinking. seriously grow up.

the US government are probably the worst 'extremists' on this earth, if you know anything about US foreign policy. they consistently force their way on others and conduct the worst acts of terrorism by far.

start reading books, stop watching tv.

[edit on 7-1-2008 by tetragrammation]

I did not read that YG was saying all Iranians are extremists....just the ones that tried to provoke an incident.

As far as the US being the worst extremists on earth I do not see the government of the US testing weapons and chemicals on their own people. While they may impose their will on other countries and leaders, do you really think that another country or leader would do anything different?

They all want power and the only way to garner that power is to force your will on others through various means.

And as far as books go.....people wrote the books just as people reported the news. Everything you read is skewed by someone's opinion, there are no completely objective writings as the person that wrote the book obviously felt strongly enough about that subject to write it. While a book may certainly give me more details to make them more believable to the reader they are no more an objective report than the news which is covered by numerous people at varying companies.

The only true way to know the facts is to be there when it is happening and even then everyone knows your own senses(sight/sound) are again open to your interpretation of what is really going on, but at least you can make that determination yourself.

-B

[edit on 1/7/08 by Vasa Croe]

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I know if christian extremists were at my door . I would blow them and there imaginary friend outta the watter.
Lol and im American.

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Did anyone else notice that the link in the OP said "Saturday night"? That was approximately 48 hours ago in Iran.

That's kind of old news for those that think today is the day that the world comes to an end.

False flag? Hasn't this kind of thing happened before without a war following shortly after?

Every time a Nimitz class carrier makes a turn to the starboard side, someone cries "War with Iran is coming!"

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Just to rid people of the image that these Iranian FACs are machine gun armed suiciders etc. Please take a look at Planemans excellent guide to Iranian navy

On topic, i have a feeling that Iranians wanted to do a "routine" test of the US Navys radars and procedures. Everyone does that, even in more peaceful situations, let alone in a immediate threath of attack (as Iranian military probably sees this)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join