It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gods? Are any of them real?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I have come to the conclusion that there is no god, no grand creator, no big guy upstairs. I was raised christian and then I woke up thirteen years ago.
Even if there was a supreme being, I dont feel that I should spend my life worshiping it.

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hear, hear. Because an omnipotent and omniscient being likes nothing more than a brown noser. :shk:

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 07:09 AM
link   
gods, they exist, they all exist. most are powerful, but none are omnipotent.
think of them as an advanced thoughtform, or a really powerful imaginary friend.
by worshipping a god you feed them your chi/prana/spiritual energy

gods and deities survive on belief and faith like it is food for them, because quintessentially it is their food, it is what sustains them and gives them power.

which explains the whole "thou shalt not worship other gods" because if you worship other gods, you literally divide your attention between them

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheyrshad

which explains the whole "thou shalt not worship other gods" because if you worship other gods, you literally divide your attention between them

So Christians admit (through word of the bible) that other Gods do exist, they just should not be worshipped?

So what happens if you divide your time amongst them? It seems to work just fine for Hindu's, Pagan's, etc...

Why the BIG change? Because since then it seems the major religious wars have been between Muslims and Christians and both of them worship just one God, so why not agree on that?

Surely a peaceful religion with many Gods is better than a violent religion with one God?

Maybe not my opinion, but it's another answer I seek.

Thanks for the replies so far...

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

That is kind of a made up commandment. God recognized that people would try to associate forces of nature with gods. So, He commanded that we have no other gods above Him, since He was the One who created nature.

posted on Jan, 8 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

A made up comment? What?

Were talking about G-d here, He just doesnt throw out little quips and meaningless non sense.

There's far more to that commandment He gave the Israelites than you think. He had zero tolerance for the Israelites to be polytheists, it was Him after all who brought them out of Egypt and made the Covenant with their ancestors. So He alone was their G-d. He also tells them that the Host of Heaven has been alotted to the Gentiles, but Israel is His alone.

Kind of explains the bit about him Judging the Egyptian deities in Exodus.

“On that same night I will pass through Egypt and strike down every firstborn—both men and animals—and I will bring judgment on all the gods of Egypt; I am the Lord” Exodus 12:12

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Here is what i wrote in an other thread on Bts

I think the whole concept of God in any religion is acknowledging that there is a power that is far better and greater then we ever will be. It makes us imperfect but by doing so it gives us the capacity to improve and better ourselves and strive for perfection.
All religions have good points about them that teach us to live in peace and harmouny with each other. It gives us hope when we may find none and the strenght to move on through trying times.
By beleaving in god( whichever religion) we humble ourselves and realise how small we are compared to this universe.
Unfortunately many power hungary humans take it upon themselves to mis-interpret a relegion's teachings and knowledge and twist it to suit their own needs.
It is up to us to look at what is right and what is wrong. Weigh evrything that is told to you on a scale and then decide if its worth listining to.....including all that i have just blurted out here:-)

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

I wrote that comment a while back and I am not sure exactly what I meant by saying "made up".
What I should have said was that just because other gods are mentioned in the commandment, does not mean, neccisarily that God is recognizing that entities being worshiped by some people are real gods.

My thought, right now, woud be that if you worship a god, who is not the highest god, is wrong.
Baal worship would be a good example.
He was the son of god, the creator, and was a second tier god who had power over rain for growing of crops.
That was considered by God to be an abomination, just as worshipping a female god was wrong because she would automaticly be a second tier god, by the fact of her sex.

posted on Mar, 26 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I believe with all my puny heart in the most powerful and giving God

Money

I can smell a nickel on the ground a mile away. And I now that as long as I worship my God and keep him close to my heart I'll always be happy.

If I'm sick my God will give me the best cure.
If I'm hungery my God will give me the best food.
If I'm lonely my God will provide the best companionship.

I've spent my life dedicated to my God and I've never been disappointed.

:w:

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ColdWater

I hate to say this but you are right.
Money can buy you redemption from sins in this world.
By the way....nice avatar.....isnt that macgyver?

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:14 PM
link   

I am not going to try to convert you to anything! I used to be religious myself but no longer am, nor do I believe in religion. I believe in many Gods or gods. Jah; the Alpha & Omega relating to "our universe" along with his family. But perhaps there are legions of Gods with their unified groups in other areas of the Universe. I prefer the purity of; a one on one conscious contact with him, verses any mediators (who are very fallible).

If you try to make sense of all the other Gods from Eastern religions and so forth all you have to reason on is this: it doesn't matter!! The one universal thought is; to believe that He actually exists no matter what you name him. I think he answers to a multitude of names. The Eckenkars (sp?) have very different names for their Gods as do so many others.

It makes sense that if there is an Almighty, he wouldn't care what he is called by the different peoples, as he likely had been involved in some of the authoring of all the holy books. There is a thread through them all that is similar...Gods, or higher powers, beyond us.

A sidebar: I have found that many so-called atheists are atheists because of religion. After I get to know some of you better, I find that if presented with a whole different concept regarding a higher being, an intelligent designer, creator, whatever, it becomes a more palatable idea.

posted on Apr, 3 2008 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Why the BIG change? Because since then it seems the major religious wars have been between Muslims and Christians and both of them worship just one God, so why not agree on that?

Surely a peaceful religion with many Gods is better than a violent religion with one God?

What does God have to do with any of it? Just because wars or conflicts are in the name of God does not mean that he has anything to do with it. Man will make anything his God and will use Gods name in vain to accomplish dirty deeds and then shift the reason onto God!

God is used as an excuse for any number of things, but it does not translate to accurate truth.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard

I challenge anybody from any religion or belief to convert me and tell me why I should choose Islam over Hinduism or Paganism?

no.

i worked hard and researched hard to learn the things i have learned. sounds to me like your not interested in finding truth. sounds to me like you´ve already made up your mind as to what truth is.

posted on Apr, 4 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
So Christians admit (through word of the bible) that other Gods do exist, they just should not be worshipped?

So what happens if you divide your time amongst them? It seems to work just fine for Hindu's, Pagan's, etc...

Maybe not my opinion, but it's another answer I seek.

Thanks for the replies so far...

through out the bible, GOD, the big man, numero uno, is usually refered to as the ¨almighty god¨. in john, jesus is refered to as A god. so angels and such can be considered gods. but they are different than the almighty god.

from the bible point of view, satan and his demons rule the earth

2 corithians 4:[4] In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them.

note here that satan is refered to as a god.

so if there is a true religion, and false religion is a product of satan ¨blinding the minds¨of mankind, then the other ¨gods¨ that almighty god doesnt want placed before him are satan an his demons.

so whatever form those demons take and whatever names are given them, christians are told not to worship them but the worship the one true god or almighty god.

still not converting you but i figured id anser your question

top topics

<< 1   >>

join