It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gods? Are any of them real?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Okay I'm asking everybody who believes in any of the God(s) a couple of questions

Below is an incomplete list of various Gods from various beliefs throughout time...

God (The Christian one), Allah, Zeus, Horus, Haile Selassie, Shangdi, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Ek Onkar, Anubis, Imhotep, Nephthys, Diana, Mars, Neptune, Ninlil, Enki, Thor... etc etc etc etc etc

Okay first off, why is your chosen God any better than the others? Why say is Allah the only god, when christians say 'no, our God is the only God?', what about Hindu's who believe in many Gods?

If you only believe in one God, then why should a thousand other Gods be forgotten?

What happened to the Gods of old (roman and greeks)? Did they die, when there worshippers forgot them?

Are Christians hypocritical in accusing atheists of ignorance, when they themselves are ignorant of a thousand other Gods?

What about an atheist or a buddhist who doesn't believe in God, but lives a rich, wonderful and caring life? Reincarnation? Hell? Heaven? Limbo? Nothing?

Does the strength of a god relate to the amount of believers?

I myself am an atheist, who doesn't believe in ANY god, but what i'm trying to do here, is counter the common myth that atheists are ignorant and doomed, whilst at the same time trying to get some feedbackfrom actual believers...

I challenge anybody from any religion or belief to convert me and tell me why I should choose Islam over Hinduism or Paganism?

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
oops, if any mod wants to move this to the relevant section, then be my guest

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
[edit] double post

WTF!!!??

[edit on 3-1-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 09:42 AM
link   
I haven't chosen a "God". Is there only one? Maybe. LOL.

I'm a smart consumer so I'm shopping for the best "deal". So far it's all used-car sales rejects, ad men and nutbars selling "junk". If there is a God, it's not taking calls or doing much useful... actually given the chance I'd make it's life a "Hell" just for fun. Payback.

Mira

[edit on 3-1-2008 by Mira_of_lurk0more]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
No challengers then?

C'MON convert me people....

Anybody who followsa any faith with a god, explain to me the benefits of your chosen religion, how it could change my life and what I need to do...

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
As an Atheist I am going to watch this thread or the lack of response from religious and spiritual people . This might just be to logical for those in question.

Cheers xpert11.

[edit on 3-1-2008 by xpert11]

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I'm going to pick the god of the Bible, by virture of his ability to predict the future. It shows he's outside of our time domain. I promise a more indepth post soon, but for now I didn't want you to think you were being ignored. If you want something to chew on in the meantime, look into the prophecies from the book of Daniel. I'll be back when they quit working me so hard.

posted on Jan, 3 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
I don't follow a religion or believe in A god, a god as a single being outside of us. The way I see it is everything is god, WE are god, life is "god". It's all about energy, positive and negative (not good and bad, just varying degrees of energy. what we call bad could be seen as lacking positive energy.) I don't care about heaven or hell or reincarnation. I live my life as "good" as i can, it helps me and others. If there is a heaven/hell or reincarnation then ok, i've lived a good life, if not, then i can be satisfied with my one shot by being the best human that i can. I don't need to convert anybody, they can believe whatever they wish. All i want is for people to LOVE.

I don't convert people as i don't have a religion, but i try my best to help them understand what i understand. I don't know everything or claim to be some prophet etc etc but i do learn, and i've learned that love is what matters.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
my god is quetzalcoatl, the feathered serpent. the mesoamerican god of creation, rebirth and chocolate! when he left central america, he sailed out unto the ocean on a raft of snakes

www.crystalinks.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Thankyou for the replies so far, and I love sheyrshads avatar.

Not going to comment yet, but I appreciate each and every comment so far... I do want more responses, and I will try and respond and take everyones advice.

Incidentally, if anybody wants to post links to certain texts then be my guest (e.g the prophecies of daniel), please point out which particular lines you find inspiring.

Thank you

Mr L

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Of course not!

All Gods are imaginary constructs of man in an attempt to explain that which he does not understand. It's easy to understand how people hundreds of years ago could believe in Gods and other supernatural entities. It is, however, quite sad that so many still cling to and spread their ignorance. What a shame!

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
Okay I'm asking everybody who believes in any of the God(s) a couple of questions

Below is an incomplete list of various Gods from various beliefs throughout time...

God (The Christian one), Allah, Zeus, Horus, Haile Selassie, Shangdi, Brahma, Vishnu, Shiva, Ek Onkar, Anubis, Imhotep, Nephthys, Diana, Mars, Neptune, Ninlil, Enki, Thor... etc etc etc etc etc

Okay first off, why is your chosen God any better than the others? Why say is Allah the only god, when christians say 'no, our God is the only God?', what about Hindu's who believe in many Gods?

If you only believe in one God, then why should a thousand other Gods be forgotten?

What happened to the Gods of old (roman and greeks)? Did they die, when there worshippers forgot them?

Are Christians hypocritical in accusing atheists of ignorance, when they themselves are ignorant of a thousand other Gods?

What about an atheist or a buddhist who doesn't believe in God, but lives a rich, wonderful and caring life? Reincarnation? Hell? Heaven? Limbo? Nothing?

Does the strength of a god relate to the amount of believers?

I myself am an atheist, who doesn't believe in ANY god, but what i'm trying to do here, is counter the common myth that atheists are ignorant and doomed, whilst at the same time trying to get some feedbackfrom actual believers...

I challenge anybody from any religion or belief to convert me and tell me why I should choose Islam over Hinduism or Paganism?

I'll take my best shot at this, since there has been very little reponse.

Why is mine better?

I'm not sure that is the best question. I won't be able to directly answer it, but I explain something else.

Jews normally dont go around trying to convert people. Rather we have an understanding that an ancient and binding Covenant was made long ago, that our ancestors were saved from Egypt and given the Torah to guide our lives. In essence we are in debt and in contract to G-d.

I also know that according to the Torah, other beings, the Host of Heaven, were allotted to the nations, but the Israelites belonged to the Lord G-d alone.

I'm going to get off on a tangent here and reference pagan myth and some conjecture, so bear with me. These are personal thoughts and not meant to represent Judaism.

So here we go: I dont hold this as a belief but I often wonder what or who those others are that are allotted to the Nations and what kind of relationship they have with the Lord G-d of Israel.

"and lest thou lift up thine eyes unto heaven, and when thou seest the sun and the moon and the stars, even all the host of heaven, thou be drawn away and worship them, and serve them, which the LORD thy G-d hath allotted unto all the peoples under the whole heaven." Deuteronomy 4:19

So we have this Host of Heaven that has been alloted to humanity. Now look at this verse from Deteronomy 32:8
"When the Most High gave to the nations their inheritance, when He separated the children of men, He set the borders of the peoples according to the number of the children of Israel."

This is the modern version. The ancient text says "He set the borders of the peoples according to the number of the Children of Elohim"

Even more bizarre is Psalms 82 which references Children of Elyon, called Elohim. Elyon means Most High. The Elohim are being judged by the G-d of Israel and threatened by Him with mortality.

How does one make an Immortal, well Mortal?

Lets look back at Genesis, remember the Tree of Life? Remember this:

Genesis 3:22 "And the LORD G-d said, Behold, the man is become as one of Us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever"

Here's the Pagan Myths part I warned about. In Nordic, Greek, and Roman myth there is the Golden Apple. It is the Ambrosia and Nectar that gives the gods their Immortality. In Greco-Roman myth it is in the Garden of Hesperides and a draconic Serpent named Ladon guards the Tree. In Norse myth the Golden Apples are in the custody of the goddess Idun, kind of sounds like Eden doens't it.

I dont think these similarities are just coincidences. The Garden, The Serpent, the Tree of Immortal Life, etc.

These Bnai or Children of Elyon, aka Elohim, and the Children of Elohim are the Host of Heaven. Theyve been allotted to the nations, but Israel is alone the Lord G-ds for He brought them out of Egypt and gave them the Torah.

So if you look at it that way, well it changes everything. I'm still puzzled by Jesus' reference to Psalm 82 when defending himself as a Son of G-d against the Pharisees. Maybe the above explains his defense. Maybe the Psalm itself and the hebrew term Temutun (make mortal) explains his defense. Psalm 82 already explained that Sarim or Princes, like the ones in Daniel who fought Michael, had fallen and become mortal. Genesis implies the fallen mortality of the Children of Elohim before the Deluge.

Its something to ponder and something to wonder.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr-lizard
No challengers then?

C'MON convert me people....

Anybody who followsa any faith with a god, explain to me the benefits of your chosen religion, how it could change my life and what I need to do...

I believe that you recieve benefits from God, despite not believing in Him. God refrains from destroying the world, for the sake of those who do believe. I would not be too worried about your current state. You are probubly better off being someone who has never believed, than someone who has lost his belief. I do not give myself credit for believing because I have had plenty of events in my life that demonstrate the existance of God. Salvation is a free gift to you, and even faith is a free gift. Just being not completely self centered may be all that is required of you. The world is full of false beliefs, so you may be better off to just take a sort of neutral stance untill God manifests Himself to you. David in the Bible existed because of a woman who he was decended from accepting the religion of her friend.

[edit on 4-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 11:23 AM
link   
The Holy Bible in Revelation says that ALL religion sprang from Babylon.
Myths around the world all bear strong familial characteristics.
From Gilgamesh to modern paganism, there are similarities and they come from the great flood survivors.
Read The two Babylons if you want to open your eyes. (it was written in 1853)

The devil Satan, knew what great plans God had for mankind, because he was there with him, and even now comes and goes unto the place where God is to accuse mankind.
He usurped God's Handiwork and told us He was the deliverer through Nimrod in worshipping the Wild beast:shk:

This is the same fallacy that the EU is espousing! Babylonianism

[edit on 4-1-2008 by Clearskies]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone who has answered so far.

Mikeboyds:
Thanks for sharing that information with me, an interesting read, gonna look into it a bit more. It might sound a bit crazy here, but I've always been interested in religion, with a slight sceptical bias, but interested nontheless. I have visted India and explored Christian, Muslim, Budhhist, Jain, Sikh, and Hindu temples and listened to some wise people out there, and that is one of the very reasons for my post.
Maybe slightly brash, but I wanted info.
Thanks, I'll read more into what you are offering.

Jmdewey60:
Thanks for your response,
You say 'god refrains from destroying the earth, for the sake of those who do believe', but is 'god' going to allow man to destroy it for what they believe. We have faiths all bombing and killing each other, all over the world, and if as you say (and as I mention, every religion has a figurehead), then why isn't their respected figurehead telling them to stop, if as we say all the great religions came from the cradle of babylon (see nest response)?

Also your request of neutrality was a splendid response and I appreciate it, I do try and be neutral but it is not always easy, although my questions are open to everyone, and maybe I can at least learn something?
Although for now, I stick with my own belief.

Clearskies:
Thanks, I am aware that many religious texts and beliefs share strikingly similar references. I will also read what you are offering as part of my own personal research.

Other opinions certainly welcome

Peace

[edit on 4-1-2008 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I believe in people's beliefs, and the power of those beliefs. I think people believe in their God/s/dess' just as strongly as any other person does in theirs.
A person knows what's right, it's up to them. My problem is when people deride others for their beliefs.

posted on Jan, 4 2008 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

O.K., That Babylonianism
site was lost. Here's another one on The EU, Here

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 09:17 AM
link   
i'm god. believe in me. i was born as an omnipotent being (still trying to figure out how to use the omnipotence, though)

you don't need to worship me or anything, though it would be nice if we could hang at a pub and share a beer, tell some stories and whatnot.

posted on Jan, 5 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
To properly discuss this, we need to have some definitions that we will all agree on so we can discuss this issue.

What is a God??

Is it the mystical powers stuff..................?

Or could what we describe as God's just be beings with advanced tech and maybe even some abilities that most here don't have.

Now, if any exist, are they like us-just more advanced?
Are they special beyond like we are???

Now, one of my favorite questions is, IF god(s) exist, now what.

Do we talk to them?
Do we worship them and if so, why. Seriously, why. If so, why does a god NEED or want to be worshipped??? (That one has always bothered me)

posted on Jan, 6 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

I met Jesus at 23.
I was a staunch feminist and I was sick and tired of hearing about how women were supposed to put up with men and be quiet.
After hearing that trying to be a good person was NOT enough for God to overlook our sins and that Jesus died to pay our sin debt from a T.V. church one Sunday morning, I asked God to show me in the bible where he loved women (and not just for their looks) as much as men.
HE DID when I opened up the bible!
I asked Jesus to forgive me and EVERYTHING changed!
My life was like I was a newborn babe (which I was)
I floated around for THREE days, amazed.
Glory Be TO GOD!

new topics

<<   2 >>

join