It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

4th Dimension

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I was wondering what would the 4th dimension be like? Like the first is like a simple line 2d would be like flat like playing mario on nintendo right and 3d is here now. So what would the 4th dimension be like???

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Its impossible to describe....jsut like how it would be impossible to show a 2d person wat a 3d world is like....you\'d jsut have to see it

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:38 PM
link   
How about this but with biological functions all different and your ability to affect physical reality with your mind?

Isn't that trippy!

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
heres an interesting page about 4d

www.geocities.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I don't know if it's the 4th, but couldn't Time be a dimension? When an object is given time it can grow and change, when you take it away, it does the opposite. So just as you can "Add" depth to an object to make it 3D, perhaps, maybe not on paper, but in reality "Time" is another dimension?

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thats what H.G. Wells said in "The Time Machine".

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:23 PM
link   
ever seen the movie Cube2: Hypercube? Its about people caught in a hypercube in which there are 4 spatial dimensions.

Anyway, the fourth spaitial dimension an the fourth dimension that we can see: time are two different things acording to what I understood from this movie and that wierd stuff can happen in 4 dimensional space.

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:28 PM
link   
that site is very good and gives you a good perspective of what it might actually be. I like the analogy about being able to touch the inside of a 2d square and thats sometin no 2d object (or person if you can imagin that) could ever do and how that would relate in a 4d object could put its figure in a middly of a cube without touchin its surfaces and thats somtin we could never do. Hmm thinkin that way time could be the only answer. whats the only way to get your hand in a sealed box??? Get oyur hand in b4 its closed

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I never have read Wells book, "Time Machine". I just kinda thought up this idea after reading past posts.

posted on Feb, 10 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkHelmet
I don't know if it's the 4th, but couldn't Time be a dimension? When an object is given time it can grow and change, when you take it away, it does the opposite. So just as you can "Add" depth to an object to make it 3D, perhaps, maybe not on paper, but in reality "Time" is another dimension?

Well, you can see it that way, but there is a difference between the fourth dimension being time and the fourth dimension being a spatial dimension. Distance in four spatial dimensions is calculated with ds^2 = dx1^2 + dx2^2 + dx3^2 + dx4^2. In spacetime as Minowski described it, the distance is ds^2 = - dt^2 + dx2^2 + dx3^2 + dx4^2. The time dimension is negative.

There are different ways of visualizing a 4-dimensional object. You can use a movie or a range of pictures that give 3d slices of the 4 dimensional object. This is often used in quaternion fractals.

Another way is using a 3d projection of an object, just like a drawing of a cube is a 2d projection of a 3d cube. For surfaces with polygons, it's possible to fold out the object. A hypercube (4d cube) becomes a 3d cross-like thing then.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
When i was 13 i sat in a car and worked in my head that time was the 4th dimension? dont you think?

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This website has an awesome reference to what different dimentions would appear to things below that dimension....

www.mkaku.org...

Heres the 1st paragraph....

When I was a child, I used to visit the Japanese Tea Garden in San Francisco. I would spend hours fascinated by the carp, who lived in a very shallow pond just inches beneath the lily pads, just beneath my fingers, totally oblivious to the universe above them.

I would ask myself a question only a child could ask: what would it be like to be a carp? What a strange world it would be! I imagined that the pond would be an entire universe, one that is two-dimensional in space. The carp would only be able to swim forwards and backwards, and left and right. But I imagined that the concept of �up�, beyond the lily pads, would be totally alien to them. Any carp scientist daring to talk about �hyperspace�, i.e. the third dimension �above� the pond, would immediately be labelled a crank. I wondered what would happen if I could reach down and grab a carp scientist and lift it up into hyperspace. I thought what a wondrous story the scientist would tell the others! The carp would babble on about unbelievable new laws of physics: beings who could move without fins. Beings who could breathe without gills. Beings who could emit sounds without bubbles. I then wondered: how would a carp scientist know about our existence? One day it rained, and I saw the rain drops forming gentle ripples on the surface of the pond.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I thought 4th is the interaction between all matter and anti-mater in what form in a 3th dimension enveriment.
but there are more than four there are 11 dimensions as string theory predicts.

posted on Mar, 9 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Four dimensional cube, the tesseract...

pw1.netcom.com...

new topics

top topics

join