It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First arrest in nation for buying cold medicine

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Isn’t Missouri the number one in meth production? I watched a documentary on the History Channel and I’m pretty sure Missouri had a serious meth problem.

apc

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Very serious.

The new limitations have worked though:

www.npr.org...
But in 2004, states began restricting purchases of ephedrine and pseudoephedrine, key ingredients in some meth recipes. Congress responded a year later with a federal law. The impact on meth labs was swift and dramatic, especially in the Midwest, where meth makers were especially prolific.

Meth lab seizures are down 55 percent in Missouri, 73 percent in Iowa and Kansas and 88 percent in Nebraska, according to the Office of National Drug Control Policy...

Normally I would side against the government restricting anything. But in cases like this, it's like denying people access to nuclear bombs. There's really only one reason to buy a case of ephedrine containing drugs. Now people have to worry a lot less about the house next door blowing up and killing all the neighbors.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by apc

Thanks for finding that link. It is good to see that it is working. I feel the same way that you do on the subject. It sucks to have the govt stepping in and regulating what you can and can't purchase, but it sucks more to have crystal meth users anywhere nearby.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I couldn't agree more with your post! My wife suffers from degenerative disc disease in her back, and the frickin' doctor is too chicken to actually write her pain meds that work for fear of a lawsuit! We are currently looking for a new doctor, but no one wants to take on a new pain-management patient!

[edit on 27-12-2007 by keeb333]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by keeb333
reply to post by Blaine91555

I couldn't agree more with your post! My wife suffers from degenerative disc disease in her back, and the frickin' doctor is too chicken to actually write her pain meds that work for fear of a lawsuit! We are currently looking for a new doctor, but no one wants to take on a new pain-management patient!
[edit on 27-12-2007 by keeb333]

my sympathies.
i have degenerative disc disease. i had a spinal fusion done and it failed. i was reccomended for an artificial disc replacement but the insurance company(knowing more than the doctor) nixed it cause they said it was experimental.

i was on a good regimen of pain meds too. i was taking morphine in the pill frm called avinza and for breakthrough pain(you should know about that...when your wife gets a pain spike) i had fentanyl in the form of a lozenge called actiq. once again, the all mighty insurance company swooped in....
i was doing great. my pain was being managed(after all. that is the goal.) and i get a letter in the mail saying next month i will no longer be able to get either of those meds.

so, it's back to the vicodin. it would be pretty safe to say i am addicted to the vikes and they have done damage to my liver.

----------

feel free to u2u me or whatever.....i have been dealing with this for 11 years...you have the right to be as pain free as possible, you just have to find the right doc.

it is horrible when doctors are forced into a corner and can not write correct scripts or are too afraid to. the dea keeps a tight reign on the scripts they write.

i'm gonna u2u a link to a chronic pain forum that i post at. you'd be suprised at how many people actualy go to europe and more specifically germany to get proper surgeries....

i really am sorry homie...i know it can effect every facet of you guys' lives

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:50 PM
link   
For goodness sake you can buy what you need here, but if you are buying 100's of boxes of any medicine with ephedrine in it you are looking to do a little cooking. Of course you are going to get arrested. Also this is not the first arrest made for this..not by a long shot

Since I have noticed a diff kind of turn here, I do agree that US should be given cheaper more effective pain medicines for people with diseases and medical problems. I also think it would be good to legalize the smoking of MJ as a pain relief...I hear the pills are not that effective.

[edit on 27-12-2007 by birchtree]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:10 PM
link   
With a little know how, there are about five or six common plants in your yard that can be made into drugs, one can make explosives from some very common items in your local grocery store, deadly poisons from Castor Bean plants or cigarettes, firearms can be made with air santizers and pieces of pipes, hell for that matter rocks can be thrown right out of your driveway. Let's ban all these things so we can be safe and marketable.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

Methamphetamine is a serious problem in this Country. These products are not illegal but as a control, stores make the decsion to put them behind the counter because they are asked to keep track of individuals who purchase large amount of products with ephedrine. I do not see that as a problem at all.. Heck if you wanted to buy three hundred go ahead...that in itself is not going to get you arrested, just do not be suprized when the Law shows up with a warrant to see if you have any type of manufacturing tools at your house.

I mean come on drawing the line works both ways

apc

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by twitchy

All those things have perfectly normal legitimate uses.

Name one thing a regular Joe (not a retailer purchasing for resale) needs a case of ephedrine for? Stockpiling for a rainy day? The other 99.9999% need it to make meth. Nowhere in the Constitution does it read, "The right of the people to keep and bear substances in quantities only used to make crystallized death shall not be denied."

Gripe all you want but I'm happy knowing my chances of getting killed by some idiot tweeker have been significantly reduced.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Amen brother. I am in total agreement with you.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
controle is useless ,they will always find some other chemical to replace ephridrine. now the gov wants to limit how much meds i can have, what next they will limit our water because junkies use that to shoot drugs into their veins why not limit the sale of booze thats the biggest problem in our country.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Notice no matter what, the alcohol issue is never in question.

Just dont drink and drive. Period.

How many people drink and put a fist thru his kid or his wife? You dont have to leave the house to get violent with "booze" or hurt others.

apc

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I can't go that far. It's one thing to get pissed off while judgement is impaired. Some of the things I've seen tweekers do... there's no comparison. Nor is there any comparing the probabilities. Alcohol rots your liver. Meth rots your brain.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I think if you compare the crimes committed related to alcohol and the crimes related to meth, you would see a dramatic difference in the severity of the crimes.

Alcohol would primarily be DUI, domestic abuse, assault... etc

Meth would have a lot more robbery, murder...etc.

Neither are particularly beneficial for society, but Meth is especially bad with the damage it causes.

Again, I am not a fan of government regulation of certain drugs such as Marijuana, but I think that more needs to be done to curtail the meth epidemic.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Why not put the blame where it belongs--on the meth-heads.

Meth is deadly to the people who use it, to those who come into contact with the production process and it creates individuals who will do anything to get another fix, who will neglect their kids, who will sell themselves and their kids into prostitution, they will steal and even kill to get one more fix.

Don't blame the government, blame your neighborhood meth-head.

[edit on 2007/12/27 by GradyPhilpott]

apc

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Should we blame the government? Or blame society? Or should we blame the images on TV?

No!

Blame Canada!

[edit on 27-12-2007 by apc]

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Perhaps i dont know the effects meth have on people, and i shouldnt be comparing it to alcohol, but i do know that alcohol consumption can ruin lives and snuff out lives too.

With meth you rob banks?
With alcohol you are so impaired you are prone to accidents.

I dont get what the difference is. I think if i run you over while under the influence of alcohol and kill you that's pretty violent. My point is that they are both equally dangerous, or so i thought. I may be wrong.

apc

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Yup very wrong. Drinkers sometimes do stupid stuff when drunk, but most people don't drink to get drunk (a beer or glass of wine with dinner, for instance). Tweekers do stupid stuff all the time. Their brains are fried. You can't even begin to rationalize their actions. From what I can tell they don't always even understand what they do. They just do it. There's simply no comparing someone who does a line of crank with someone someone who drinks a couple beers. The chances of harm coming to an innocent as a result of meth is through the roof where with alcohol it's relatively insignificant.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Yeah, it is pretty bad and you should consider yourself lucky that you don't have to see or hear about the effects of Meth on a daily basis. Wine-o's typically won't break into your house to rob you for money for some mad dog 20/20 but a meth head would. APC pretty much summed it up though.

Again, alcohol doesn't do society a whole lot of good, but it really can't be compared to the damage that is done by meth.

posted on Dec, 28 2007 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
Should they allow people to buy as much as they want to use in meth labs? Should we just allow meth labs to exist?

No, but I remember how real police investigation work use to be
when an officer worked a case. Now they just wait for a name
to pop up on a computer screen, No work involved !!!!
no work means less people involved and less jobs to catch them.
Cop jobs are being replaced by computers. And I just saw
an ad on TV this morning for a college offering criminal justice
degrees. Lil to say by the time they graduate their job will be
turned over to a machine who has already been programmed
by a graduate before them. LOL .... typical

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join