It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First arrest in nation for buying cold medicine

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

First arrest in nation for buying cold medicine

www.usdoj.gov

This investigation revealed that William FOUSSE had purchased 406 Bronkaid caplets which contain 25 mg of ephedrine sulfate per tablet over a two week period, which resulted in purchasing over 29 grams of ephedrine. Further investigation revealed that FOUSSE had also purchased similar products over the same time period from three other pharmacies. The combined amount of ephedrine purchased was over 29 grams which is three times over what is allowed by law.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Unless this guy had a PRETTY BAD cold, I am pretty sure he was purchasing it to make meth. I agree that there is a serious problem with meth in the US. I am not a fan of having cold medicine regulated the way that it is.

All in all I think it is good if it is actually curtailing the manufacturing of meth, I guess I would just like to see some numbers to support that it is working. If not, they should put the stronger regulations on the other parts that are used in the manufacturing of the drug, not the cold medicine that is used by thousands if not millions of average consumers every year.

www.usdoj.gov
(visit the link for the full news article)

My bad, I just saw the date is from March so it isn't really breaking. It was in the "new" section of a website that I browse... still interesting news though.

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Karlhungis]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:15 PM
link   
If they're going to regulate cold medicine..

Let's get some compassionate people in there who will push for an equivalent to Canada and the U.K.'s over the counter codeine/caffiene/tylonal pills they have as well as the codeine cough syrups they have.

In America, we have to drink nasty Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide. I doesnt even work.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:18 PM
link   
oh there is plenty of over the counter cold meds that work just fine. im pretty sure ephreda is a plant that the chinese used for asthma. the stuff opens the lungs. its actually proven to do several things as far as inhanceing preformance you can run faster and longer, it speeds the motablizm so you lose weight and a few other things.

but takeing that much would most likely kill you, there is only one thing he was doing with it...

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:21 PM
link   
here is a link that will better help..

en.wikipedia.org...

i used to take this stuff when i worked the 3rd shift. it boast the heart to almost painful rates but it keeps you awake. when i did take 12 was more then enough for a whole week..

[edit on 15pmu102007 by DaleGribble]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Yep....this man was looking to cook up some Meth. Unfortunately Meth is relatively easy and cheap to make. You invest under 200 dollars and the payoff is over a grand. There are various ways to cook it up also - methods that do not require the ammonia that farmers use. There are numerous stories every winter of people cooking it up in deer blinds and ice fishing shacks.
These people are easy to find in Michigan. Sudafed, Bronkaid and other meth precursors are only available in the pharmacy and must be obtained from the pharmacy, its not out with the other cold meds or pain relievers. Plus, when you purchase it, you sign an electronic log that is sent to the state for their records and you can be denied if you purchase more than a 1 month supply in 30 days. They take your name and punch in your drivers license ID number. Nothing like Big Brother checking in to see how your head cold is doing.
I've had problems with this. I pick up my wife's Claritin D 24 hour every month. If I get sick, I have to send her out to pick up Sudafed since I am over the limit...good law on the books, but kind of a pain at times.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What? Wait... you guys aren't allowed over the counter codeine down there?
Wow, they really do think of you as children.

While I don't agree with Methamphetamine use, I do however have a problem with the government getting in the way of simple purchases. Who's to say he didn't find it at a bargain and wanted to re-sell it for a profit? Nothing wrong with taking advantage of a good sale.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Yes let's sit back and just let them track all our purchases and make assumptions of criminal intent to justify circumstantial probable causes for everybody's unreasonable searches and seizures to make sure we are all being good citizens. What's next, buy too many lighters this week? Late on a credit card payment, but you bought some beer... It's getting to that point folks, ask your local smiling insurance provider if you don't believe me, inquiring debtors and law enforcement want to know...

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I worked at a grocery store and it was company policy to not let anyone buy more than three Benedryl cold medicines or similar products in a week. i'm sure a lot of people were still able to get away with purchasing large amounts though. the checkers dont remember every person that comes through their lines or whether or not its been a week since they were last in the store.

edit to add: what if someone felt it necassary to stock up on cold medicines and other items for some sort of catastrophic event? would it be a crime to have a large amount of this medicine stock piled in your home?

[edit on 26-12-2007 by Roland Deschain]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Twitchy - yeah I agree. Whats next and where does it stop. The state says it is not selling off the information collected, but I am waiting for the next budget crisis to see how long it will be safe.
You can only stock up if you buy when you don't need it. And if you get nailed for stockpiling Sudafed or a similar product, it means either you're making Meth , illegally distributing it or you have larger problems because the police just knocked down your door and raided your house.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
So then what is the answer? If they shouldnt regulate how much drugs a person can buy at a store....

Should they allow people to buy as much as they want to use in meth labs? Should we just allow meth labs to exist?

Where should the line be drawn....or should there not be a line?

I certainly dont want meth labs popping up near me and certainly dont want a bunch of meth heads living near me.

But if there is a great deal on cold meds, I would like to be able to buy as much as I want. I certainly dont abuse drugs.

But im not quite sure what the solution is. Does anyone else?

[edit on 27-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roland Deschain
edit to add: what if someone felt it necassary to stock up on cold medicines and other items for some sort of catastrophic event? would it be a crime to have a large amount of this medicine stock piled in your home?

Medicine has an expiration date, I stopped buying cold medecine about three years ago, after I'd spent some six years buying a pack, taking two, and finding the rest expired over a year later. Just threw away two children's cold medicines I told my wife not to buy, sure enough they were expired.

Got a cold, mix coltsfoot, licorice, and juniper buds(not berries), as a tea, morning and before bed. You'll be good to go in no time.
For nasal congestion inhale simmering apple cider vinegar lightly one nostril at a time.
Got Acid Reflex, drink a teaspoon of apple cider a day, with water.
Soar throat? Gargle Apple cider vinegar and honey as needed.

If you're dying, leave your money to me.

sty

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   
maybe he just wanted to keep them for his bunker

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky

no, we're not allowed anything like that over the counter.

personally, i hate this law. my wife is one of those types of people that gets sick in the spring and sick in the fall and it lasts a long time....it's just how she is..she takes her fair share of sudafed and such.

last time she was sick, when i went to go get the sudafed, i had to sign a paper and they took my name, DL number and my SS number.

all those meds are behind the counter now.....

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by johnsky

It's actually worse than that. I have a protrusion pressing against a nerve in my lower lumbar region. No matter how excruciating the pain gets my doctor will not give me a pain med that works. I've only been allowed 3 pills that worked in the last 2 years. Not three bottles - three pills! They are terrified of law suits. They do keep giving me NSAID's, then they take them away because it turns out they kill you. Their effectiveness is the same as Tylenol so I don't even bother to buy them anymore. Last time I saw my Doctor I looked him in the eye and asked why do they manufacture medications that work on severe pain? He said to treat pain and gave me a weird look. I then asked would you rate my pain as severe? He said yes I would. I asked could I have a handful of real pain meds to get me through my vacation so I can have a little relief. He said no, you will just have to learn to manage your pain.

Only three pills over two years and only 6 pills the two years before that and he's worried I'll get addicted??????????????? It's out of control and people like me are the victims. I don't blame the Doctors. I hate the jerks who sued them to the point they can no longer do their jobs. Don't blame the Government. Blame your neighbor who sued for twenty million for an ingrown toenail. My Nephew is a Surgeon and his insurance takes half his income. Half!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He is talking about quiting because of it.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Boondock78

Originally posted by johnsky

no, we're not allowed anything like that over the counter.

all those meds are behind the counter now.....

Not true: It is a state by state matter. In North Carolina all you have to do is ask your pharmacist for the good stuff with codeine, usually mixed with guatussin or another expectorant, and all that is required is for you to list name and address on a sheet, and no one asks for ID. If the druggist does not know you, he may refuse, but that is rare. I always keep a few bottles of the good stuff on hand as one spoon full takes care of a cough quite well, and it costs less than the junk crap.

Check state regulations for your state.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by harddrive21
Plus, when you purchase it, you sign an electronic log that is sent to the state for their records and you can be denied if you purchase more than a 1 month supply in 30 days. They take your name and punch in your drivers license ID number. Nothing like Big Brother checking in to see how your head cold is doing.
I've had problems with this. I pick up my wife's Claritin D 24 hour every month. If I get sick, I have to send her out to pick up Sudafed since I am over the limit...good law on the books, but kind of a pain at times.

My wife and I have a similar problem with the purchase limits. Where I live (Va suburb of Washington, DC) the most you can buy in a single day is a 15 day supply. I miss the good old days when Claratin D was a prescription and I could get a 1 or 3 month supply with a single purchase. Thank god we don't have any kids... we'd be screwed if they needed it as well.

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
cant you just buy this stuff online?

[edit on 27-12-2007 by welivefortheson]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by eyewitness86

Not true: It is a state by state matter. In North Carolina all you have to do is ask your pharmacist for the good stuff with codeine, usually mixed with guatussin or another expectorant, and all that is required is for you to list name and address on a sheet,

please show me where in any state you can get codein or meds with codein in it without a script...thanks

apc

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I'm glad they put limits on dispensing the ephedrine containing drugs. It's either that or ban public access to ephedrine outright. Since the inception of the limitations here in Missouri I'm not aware of a single meth lab explosion. They used to be pretty common. Meth lab raids are down as are meth related arrests.

They still should revert to being OTC with no need for ID to get it. There's no point as it is too easy to make a fake ID especially one to get past a pharmacist. Just limit quantities like anything else.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join