It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello, my name is...Moon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Earth is one of those rare gems in the universe. It has the perfect celestial recipe to support highly advanced and specialized lifeforms. One of these lifeforms has even managed to master thought, speech, science and artistic expression. Even further, a select group of lifeforms has the courage and audacity to name other heavenly bodies near and far.

This being said, why is that the body closest to Earth has the lamest name is the cosmos?

Moon? Moon?!?!?

Well, what name would you come up with?

Don't worry, this is not a test...

(or is it?)

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I prefer Luna. But what's in a name? Would not a rose by any other name smell just as sweet?

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

True, i dont think that a name has any sort of extreme importance. Anyways, i think it would all lie down in who originally found the planet and named it. Most of the planets are , what? Roman names? So i guess the names for planets are first come first serve; whoever finds it first names it.

Look what happened to Uranus.......'nuff said

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarrenPiece
Earth is one of those rare gems in the universe. It has the perfect celestial recipe to support highly advanced and specialized lifeforms. One of these lifeforms has even managed to master thought, speech, science and artistic expression. Even further, a select group of lifeforms has the courage and audacity to name other heavenly bodies near and far.

This being said, why is that the body closest to Earth has the lamest name is the cosmos?

Moon? Moon?!?!?

Well, what name would you come up with?

Don't worry, this is not a test...

(or is it?)

I didn't know until the other day that most cultures consider the Moon to be female and the sun to be male. Here is a link on it.

www.khandro.net...

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
You assume too much grasshopper, our moon has many names from many cultures.
We don't all speak English....

Just look at this link of names:
www.20000-names.com...

Personally, I might just call it Mizuki from now on, but who but the Japanese would understand me.

Having a language requires us to name things so we can convey information to each other. Every other moon in the solar system has a unique name so that we know which one is being referred to, but in English if I say "the moon" you know which one I'm talking about.
I know that if our planet had 4 moons each one would have a separate name.

[edit on 26/12/2007 by anxietydisorder]

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by anxietydisorder

moon 1
moon 2
moon 3
moon 4

and if i said "hey i can see your harvest moon" you'd pull your pants up, knowing exactly what sort of moon i was talking about

sorry, couldnt resist

[edit on 26/12/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Obliv_au

And then we could all sing a verse or two of "Bad Moon On The Rise".

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by WarrenPiece

Good Point...

I have always liked the name Reginald, so from now on, I shall call the body orbiting the Earth, Reginald..

"So let it be written, so let it be done"

LMAO

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

haha, thats a classic..

nice come back

[edit on 27/12/07 by Obliv_au]

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Hi very interesting thread! if you don't like the name "moon" then how about "silver disk"... lol and the sun will be called, you guessed it!, "golden disk".... i think its very poetic

posted on Dec, 27 2007 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The name of the moon, and the earth, for that matter, stem from when we were primitive people that only knew of an earth and a moon. Why give specific names for something when you only know of one? What do you stand on? The earth. What's that in the sky? The Moon. What's that other brighter thing in the sky? The sun.

If you look at early tribal names for their own people, almost invariably the tribal name translated into a version of "The People." everyone else was "other."

There's a list somewhere on the internet that talks about what the name of the moon and the sun are in various languages. I'll see if I can find it.

Here it is: www.nineplanets.org...

Ha. I see they've whimsically added Klingon at the end of the list. :shk:

top topics

join