It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gypies also known as Travelers and Hobos, I need sign information?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I have been away from ATS for awhile, but I do drop in to read the posts. I am doing a lot of traveling and been doing research into some of the Sub-Cultures in America. This is where I need your help, I need to be able to recognize and decipher the signs left by different nomaic groups. Most individuals in these groups are unwilling to divulge this information to outsiders. Even when trying to blend in there seems to be certain code questions embedded in normal conversation that will expose outsiders quickly. Does anyone know of a website or printed guide to the "road signs" posted by the Travelers and Hobos or other research, information into these cultures?

[Edited on 8-2-2004 by RealFlight]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Man what you talk about seems kinda' interesting. What exactly are you doing? Trying to get into nomadic groups to learn history?

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
Man what you talk about seems kinda' interesting. What exactly are you doing? Trying to get into nomadic groups to learn history?

I think he's trying to learn these symbols to help him on his way.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:06 PM
link   
What do the signs look like that you're trying to decipher? Stupid question eh, there must be a number of them. Still, why are you trying to do this? Just for personal interest? I wish I knew what you were talking about, I'm all intrigued n' #.

*EDIT: Wrong post.

[Edited on 2-8-2004 by insite]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by insite
What do the signs look like that you're trying to decipher? Stupid question eh, there must be a number of them. Still, why are you trying to do this? Just for personal interest? I wish I knew what you were talking about, I'm all intrigued n' #.

Travelers leave a number of different signs to mark where they've been and what they've seen. Train schedules, friendly places etc..... If you've ever hopped a train to get somewhere, you'd know.

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Ah! So this person needs some insight on what particular signs (schedules, greetings from others, etc.) these nomadic groups use to pass on their itinerary or their findings in a particular place. Let me know what you find out, it's pretty tight to see that this # still goes on in America. I thought this kind of lifestyle would be dead. Nomadic peoples, Gypsies and whatnot..

*EDIT: My dad used to tell me about how his mom always told him to stay away from the train tracks when he was a kid because the hobo's would come snatch you up and take you away. That was back in the 50's. How great would it be to be a hobo? Pretty #in' great.

[Edited on 2-8-2004 by insite]

posted on Feb, 8 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I know the Rom people (Gypsies) have a thing with crossroads. Don't quite remember what it is, but I think it has something to do with burrial, how they bury their loved ones near crossrads or something in order for their souls to be carried further on the journey. Also, a true Gypsy knows his full age when he is a child, and count downwards from birth to the day of his death. This may be a myth, but I'm sure I remember something like this. Good luck on your journey. These people are fascinating, and you will learn a great deal, I am sure.

About the Rom people. They were originally an Indian low-caste of musicans who broke out of the system and travelled West and North around the same time the ten lost Jewish tribes of Israel travelled West and North. Makes me think somehow, how they have traditionally been gifted mystics and spiritists etc. How one old Gypsy lady could scare the hell off the whole Roman Empire with her curse etc.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Feb, 9 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I have hopped trains, mainly in the 70's. I started to explore hopping trains recently again in search of information and to see what has changes have occurred. The culture has changed dramatically (much more dangerous). The security since 9/11 is much tighter, but not as high as you would think. It's best to stay to the very rural areas . The old signs for danger (rectangle with dot in center or two vertical lines with three horizontal lines each) food, safe haven (upside down triangle), place to sleep, police officer etc. are still there but seem old and not updated. The newer signs are spray painted more like Graffiti and are hard to describe in words. Some examples are a circle with one, three, five stars some have different numbers of horizontal or vertical lines. Squares and triangles with dots and arrows are also used. I have learned a few meanings, there are not as many hobos and they tend to stay more to themselves so the newer information is hard to come by.

top topics

join