It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You can't take Christ out of Christmas

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:17 PM
link   
If you want to say Merry Christmas then say it...if you want to say happy holidays then say it...if you want to say nothing then dont. What is with this post?

Sounds like something Bill O Riley would rant about

[edit on 21-12-2007 by Jeff Riff]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jeff Riff
If you want to say Merry Christmas then say it...if you want to say happy holidays then say it...if you want to say nothing then dont. What is with this post?

It's not about me wanting to say this of that. If I want to say "abracadabra", I will. It's about policies that are based on such foolish guidlelines. It's no big deal but annoying as hell. "Happy Holidays" just isn't the same as "Merry Christmas". And "Season's greetings" is also weird

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by buddhasystem

I totally feel you man...I say Merry Christmas. i am not Christian, its just what I grew up with. I dont find it offensive and anyone that does should ignore it. They are just words, i dont see why it matters.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by forestlady
It's not about being PC, it's about standing up for one's constitutional rights which gives us freedom from discrimination. The Christians do not own Christmas; December is a time of celebration for many religions.

Ever stop to consider that maybe non-Christians are offended by Christian symbols being displayed constantly, while theirs are not? I love how alot of Christians say they respect other religions, but don't want other religious symbols displayed - hypocrisy at its finest.
the thing is if your offended then get the heck over it alot of people celebrate christmas and its not discrimination if people put up their own signs of celebration if they dont like it too bad you cant tell someone to take down their christmas tree because you dont put up your signs and you dont think that others should publicly express their celebration
if your jewish put up the manora if your christian put up your tree its called freedom of speech if your offended oh well its their crap let the people be. people must learn to accept TOLERANCE i know you dont like it so be on your way and let it be

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I whole heartedly agree which is what this thread is about that freedom of speech is being taken away by these people who think you should always be non offending to the one man on earth (sometimes) who is offended

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I personally think Christ is more offended if you DO put Him back into Christmas than if you don't. Christmas is a pagan holiday and never had anything to do with Him in the first place. Ever look into the history of Christmas? It would surprise you.

History Channel article

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArtemisFowl

It's not about being PC, it's about standing up for one's constitutional rights which gives us freedom from discrimination. The Christians do not own Christmas; December is a time of celebration for many religions.

Ever stop to consider that maybe non-Christians are offended by Christian symbols being displayed constantly, while theirs are not? I love how alot of Christians say they respect other religions, but don't want other religious symbols displayed - hypocrisy at its finest.

the thing is if your offended then get the heck over it alot of people celebrate christmas and its not discrimination if people put up their own signs of celebration if they dont like it too bad you cant tell someone to take down their christmas tree because you dont put up your signs and you dont think that others should publicly express their celebration
if your jewish put up the manora if your christian put up your tree its called freedom of speech if your offended oh well its their crap let the people be. people must learn to accept TOLERANCE i know you dont like it so be on your way and let it be

I'm not offended by Christmas, and I never said I was. You have completely twisted my words around to suit your agenda. RE-READ my post before you make yourself look silly again.
ALL denominations had been invited to put up symbols of their religions on the City Hall property; property which all of us taxpayers paid for and which belongs to us. A Pentacle with wreath was put up by and for Pagans; it was up 2 - 3 days and was desecrated.

All I'm saying is that if Christian symbols can be on govt property, that other religions should be able to display their symbols as well. That's it, period, plain and simple. The Constitution says the govt should not endorse any particular religion. I am in no way advocating taking down Christian symbols of Christmas. What I am saying is that I want that right as well. But we DON"T have it; after the wreath was desecrated, City Council decided to just have the Nativity scene. That is not fair and is religious discrimination; hence, that is why a lawsuit is being filed.
It's not just about Pagans, it's about all other non-Christian denominations having a right to display their symbols on GOVT PUBLIC PROPERTY - we're not talking private property here.

[edit on 21/12/07 by forestlady]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   

I whole heartedly agree which is what this thread is about that freedom of speech is being taken away by these people who think you should always be non offending to the one man on earth (sometimes) who is offended

People should always have the right to say Merry Christmas, just like others should always have the right to say that Christ never existed, or that the New Testament God doesn't exist (I explicitly don't mention the Old Testament God because he (they) did exist and was (were) made of flesh and blood just like us, with that difference that he (they) had a slightly different genetic code). Anyway, that's what I believe... ;-)

Happy festivities!

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Are you serious! Give me a break , taking the christ out of christmas will no more restore your precious constituional rights then it has taken any from you. I say Happy Hanaka even that fake one from africa is given attention but you want the constitution the same one that talks about our rights endowed by our creator to mean the Government.

It wouldn't occur to me to think someone would get offended by ANYTHING having to do with Christmas WHY WOULD IT!

More to the point why would it to YOU

I am busy enough covering for the many "words" and things I cannot do or say that make sense but Ill be damed if I am going to make an issue out of a holiday about Christs birth. Next thing you know someone will be offended by the words thank you or may I help you.

People having self concepts one molecule away from being an eggshell have no problem with Christmas they have a problem with themselves.

Just out of curiosity?? Just WHAT IS IT about Christian "Symbols" being displayed you don't like? HOW do they offend you? What meaning could they possibly have to single you out an insult you

PLEASE explain this to me.

[edit on 21-12-2007 by Conspiriology]

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Long before the time of Christ, December 25th was a holiday to celebrate surviving the darkest days of the year. It was a traditionally pagan holiday and in an effort to stamp out Paganism the church started celebrating the birth of Christ on December 25th, although it was much more likely that he was born in the Spring.

I think an important point to make in regards to the OP's original post is this: The nativity scene in question was placed on public property. It was property maintained by the state (i.e. taxpayer money.) It was NOT displayed on the property of a church. An open invitation was given by the local government for anyone to display holiday decorations in accordance with their beliefs.

December 25th, although now referred to almost exclusively as "Christmas", is hardly exclusive to the celebrations of Christians. If decorations are being put up on public grounds, it should well be open to anyone who has a holiday to celebrate.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by forestlady

A Very Special Letter!

Dear Children,

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My Name out of the season. Maybe you've forgotten that I wasn't actually born during this time of the year and that it was some of your predecessors who decided to celebrate My birthday on what was actually a time of pagan festival. Although I do appreciate being remembered anytime.

How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth, just GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER!

Now, having said that, let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santas and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be so many of them all around town!

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made ALL trees. You can remember Me anytime you see ANY tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching, explaining who I am in relation to you and what each of our tasks were. If you have forgotten that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list! Choose something from it:

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing Steven Harper complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year! Then follow up! It will be nice for Me to be hearing from you again!

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them!

5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her!

6. Did you know that someone in your town will attempt to take their own life this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who that person is, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile; it could make the difference!

7. Instead of nit-picking about what some retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word. Even if they aren't allowed to wish you a "Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one! Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families!

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary--especially one who takes My love and Good News to those who have never heard My Name.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals and whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them, buy some food and a few gifts and give them to the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me and they will make the delivery for you.

10. Finally, if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My Presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of Mine!

Don't forget; I am God and I can take care of Myself! Just love Me and do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above and get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember : I LOVE YOU,

JESUS

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:54 PM
link   

You have to understand something,, this isn't really about christmas or the holiday or even about constitutional rights. This is an agenda that is being put forth to remove Christ and God not just from the holiday but from our society. The use separation of church and state so the biobabble of a monopoly on science brings our children up without considering any other science but the mindless natural selection. You don't see this being done to any other religion by Atheists. It is CHRISTIANITY they find offensive and the reason they do is because they reject our God Period.

Hell I'm not even sure it has anything to do with science but that they just hate god. No one else would go out of there way to fight city hall with such a frivolous reason as being offended or find some angle to use the constitution like the Atheist un-religion and ther Messhia Dick DOHkins.

Just have get on a few of there e-mail lists and read some of the "Plans" they have or check out some of the posts around here.

This may seem like it is an issue of hurt feelings and constitutional rights but thats just the angle they use to force the government to remove all reminders of a God they reject and a science they use to prove there isn't one. Their science is wrong and their agenda is only going to set them back to the primordial soup they came from.

This is nothing but atheism pure and simple

Merry Christmas Dick Dawkins and Jesus Loves you!

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   

well i apologize as i see i have twisted your words but my point is is that if it was desecrated i would put up another wreath and if they desecrated it i would booby trap a third one mainly with fireworks but my anger is not from you its from the fact that every year there is an arguement like this commonly over religious intolerance

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:12 PM
link   

well i apologize as i see i have twisted your words but my point is is that if it was desecrated i would put up another wreath and if they desecrated it i would booby trap a third one mainly with fireworks but my anger is not from you its from the fact that every year there is an arguement like this commonly over religious intolerance

You didn't twist a thing and in the context she was saying it I too had no idea why it would have occured to me BUT since it occured to her, then maybe she can explain why. Then she accused YOU of twisting her words. So far she has sympathy for those that we are to understand while she has none herself. So what are we supposed to do thn just anticipate that someone might find it offensive?

Jeeez it gets so assinine these days that having a pepsi will be OFFENDING someone.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

You have to understand something,, this isn't really about christmas or the holiday or even about constitutional rights. This is an agenda that is being put forth to remove Christ and God not just from the holiday but from our society. The use separation of church and state so the biobabble of a monopoly on science brings our children up without considering any other science but the mindless natural selection. You don't see this being done to any other religion by Atheists. It is CHRISTIANITY they find offensive and the reason they do is because they reject our God Period.

Hell I'm not even sure it has anything to do with science but that they just hate god. No one else would go out of there way to fight city hall with such a frivolous reason as being offended or find some angle to use the constitution like the Atheist un-religion and ther Messhia Dick DOHkins.

Just have get on a few of there e-mail lists and read some of the "Plans" they have or check out some of the posts around here.

This may seem like it is an issue of hurt feelings and constitutional rights but thats just the angle they use to force the government to remove all reminders of a God they reject and a science they use to prove there isn't one. Their science is wrong and their agenda is only going to set them back to the primordial soup they came from.

This is nothing but atheism pure and simple

Merry Christmas Dick Dawkins and Jesus Loves you!

This probably the most stupid thing i have ever read. What does being atheist have to do with christ in christmas.

Check this out: I went to catholic school for 10 years, i was force fed the bible and christmas and all of the things that christmas are supposed to represent. Guess what man, it doesn't represent any of those things, and it hasn't for years. I'm all about spreading kindness and being good to your fellow man, but i practice those beliefs in my day to day life, not for one day or one month out of the year. Jesus has been replaced by santa, the resurrection replaced with a bunny rabbit.

Oh and by the way I'm atheist and i still say marry christmas.

The only one that seems to have any sort of agenda here is you dude. Nobody is trying to piss you off. But if you cant deal with my personal opinion that christianity is probably the single most brainwashing cultist religion too bad. I'm not the one getting up set.

Go drink some egg nog, open some presents and calm the down before you give yourself a stroke.

P.S. I do reject god, not just yours but all of them. And thats my choice. Its america dude, its pretty great to not be force fed religion any more.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by closettrekkie
I personally think Christ is more offended if you DO put Him back into Christmas than if you don't. Christmas is a pagan holiday and never had anything to do with Him in the first place. Ever look into the history of Christmas? It would surprise you.

History Channel article

Look,, do you think the lord cares that we celebrate his birth on anyday?

Pagans? who is celebrating them? Not I and thats all the lord knows as each day you say we shouldn't celebrate I say thats a day god stole the pagan holiday and made it his day. I wouldn't want any day reserved for pagans and thats just what we do by saying we can't celebrate christmas on a specific day for that reason. I think its rather a clever use of divine providence that God would have us trump a pagan holiday by celebrating HIM !

- Con

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Conspiriology

Look,, do you think the lord cares that we celebrate his birth on anyday?

Pagans? who is celebrating them? Not I and thats all the lord knows as each day you say we shouldn't celebrate I say thats a day god stole the pagan holiday and made it his day. I wouldn't want any day reserved for pagans and thats just what we do by saying we can't celebrate christmas on a specific day for that reason. I think its rather a clever use of divine providence that God would have us trump a pagan holiday by celebrating HIM !

- Con

Again a totally ridiculous post. How much more are you gonna derail this thread into your preaching about god????

Get over it man not every body has your same views. Its something that us grown ups call tolerance and open mindedness. This is not some organized attack on you or your faith, this a discussion about the removal of christ from christmas... a point which you have not touched on but once.

Give it a break dude, i'm sure theres a christian support group around the internet somewhere, they'll all agree with you and you wont have a heart attack.

P.S. I just reported you.

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by W3RLIED2

P.S. I do reject god, not just yours but all of them. And thats my choice. Its america dude, its pretty great to not be force fed religion any more.

You are an atheist?? Why did I know that. Your post proves my point

Id dissect the rest of your post and argue but like you say,, I wouldn't want to hurt your feelings and be accused of force feeding you.

Especially since you haven't been weaned yet

You just reporting me is also talked about in your atheist news letters I get. Setup the flat earthers and soon as they derail or stick up for their faith report tyhem get them out of christmas get them out of forums get them out of society. This should be a warning to those Christians here too

Merry Christmas "DUDE"!

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Conspiriology

Oh man. I hope some one other then myself is finding this guy laughable.

I give up, you win. Merry christmas to you from a god hating athiest!

posted on Dec, 21 2007 @ 06:39 PM
link   

this a discussion about the removal of christ from christmas... a point which you have not touched on but once.

P.S. I just reported you

Then you haven't read a single post of mine

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join