It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming 100,000 Years Ago!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   
City May Lose Turf to Surf

Based on research of how the Earth looked the last time it got this hot about 100,000 years ago, scientists say in next month's issue of the journal Nature Geoscience that water levels could rise a staggering 64 inches in the next 50 to 100 years.

Global warming existed 100,000 years ago!

Does anyone have any information on what caused it way back then?

Could it be that global warming is a natural occurrence?

[edit on 18-12-2007 by craig732]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by craig732

It is a natural occurrence. Ice ages, interglacial periods and warm periods are part of the natural cycle.

The current controversy today stems from the possibility that we humans might be speeding things up with our greenhouse gas emissions. The supporters of this idea say that we are definitely to blame for the current rise in temperature. The detractors say that our influence is insignificant. The deniers say there is no such thing. The wise person just does his part to reduce pollution, because who wants to dirty up their own nest?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma
The wise person just does his part to reduce pollution, because who wants to dirty up their own nest?

I agree with this wholeheartedly, not for global warming reasons but for basic health and well being.

I truly wonder how much effect man really has on the earth as a whole. For example, the hole in the ozone layer... has it repaired itself since we stopped using cloroflurocarbons or whatever those things were called (CFCs)?

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Its a natural occurence. I have been saying for ages that th Earth goes through heating and cooling periods. I dont understand all the hype over global warming. The only reason we have noticed the world getting hotter is because climate and meteorlogical records show it, but unfortunantly over the large scale, they dont go back far enough. There is only 100 years of climate data here in Australia and about 160 years for the USA. No need to panic yet

I should also say that I dont know if global warming caused by human intervention is occuring or not. I am still undecided

[edit on 18/12/2007 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by craig732

Ice core samples go back 800,000 years - and they show NO rapid heating of the planet on a scale like we see today in those 800,000 years. My guess would be the information here is either mistaken or more oil industry 'research'.

Of no real scientific significance anyhow..

J.

posted on Dec, 18 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Yes - but the 'supporters', as you call them, happen to be the world-wide scientific community. The 'detractors' are nearly always oil industry insiders or people working for them. Yes, I agree - cleaning up the enviroment is simple common sense however.

J.

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
there is always going to be a natural trend of warming and cooling .....

BUT,......the very big differance is that man is now around ....and he is speeding things up ...a lot !!

snoopyuk

top topics

join