It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's Up With the Green Dot?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 01:57 PM
link   
What's up with the green dot on the back of some helmets in the NFL? I see it mainly on the helmet of QB's.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Shows it's the helmet with the radio. It was done, I think, to make sure that only one guy on the field has a radio in his helmet.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Aha! Thanks much.

Is there one per offense and defense, I presume?

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:09 PM
link   
It's to indicate a QB. (aka. Don't touch!)

(I think)

[edit on 16-12-2007 by chissler]

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Aha! Thanks much.

Is there one per offense and defense, I presume?

I've never noticed a defensive dot. I believe they did it to make sure the coaches could only talk to the QB. They do not want the coaches pointing out formations, etc. to other positions.

I'm not positive on this, but seem to recall reading it somewhere.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:23 PM
link   
There's a new rule that each team can only have one miked helmet on the field at a time, and it makes sense that it would usually be the QB the coach wants to talk to. I have no idea what the penalty is.

This doesn't mean I'm talking football with you guys. I'm only a casual watcher.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:36 PM
link   
It's ironic that this question was raised, as it was just discussed on the Packers telecast. And indeed, it is to designate that the helmet has communication inside it to communicate with the sidelines.

Interesting.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
reply to post by chissler

I'm watching the Pats-Jets, with Brady wearing the green dot. Usually we get 2 games at a time, but this week, Fox isn't carrying a game.

20-10 Pats, about 2 minutes left. Jets just flubbed a FGA.

posted on Dec, 16 2007 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Yeah it's to indicate a miked helmet.

I've heard about it all year from commentators. I seemed to always find the game where they were describing it week after week.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Does that mean that they were others players illegaly using radio helmets BEFORE this was instituted this season? Yeah probably another Bill bellicheck cheating tactics.

posted on Dec, 17 2007 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I read somewhere that a couple times last year Atlanta had both Vick and Schaub in the game at the same time. They also do it so holders on kicks don't have a radio in their helmet. If you have a QB as your holder, he has to switch out his helmet before taking a field goal snap.

top topics

join