It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese should buy two plane seats, says Australia survey

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
the cubic space idea is good, but then we get back into being unfair via tall vs short, slim vs wide builds - having nothing to do with obesity and etc.

What would the threshold be, and how would you enforce such a measure without creating humiliation (which would kill the idea, via ACLU / etc.) ?

id like to point out, before we go too much further - that catering to obesity is not the right way to go. You must accommodate and adapt, without creating humiliation or losing business. Clearly, as it is now, it's not acceptable. It's uncomfortable for both parties, prices are going up and airlines are doing worse.

I would never argue against bigger planes with more space. In fact, that's how it should be. It seems everyone would be happier like that. For example, the A380 which holds around 420 people, opposed to 550 or something. Don't quote me, those are approximate without getting deep into a googlequest. Unfortunately, those are considered "luxury" planes, and priced accordingly.

funny how much obesity costs. I mean, costs more to eat (more), costs more for health problems, costs more for clothing, costs more for airlines to deal with obesity-related issues, etc. It's literally a tax on our entire population, just as much as smokers.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I don't agree in catering to obesity either, and here I am, a fatass 16 YO who has been on prednisone most of his life. The problem as I see it , is that you can not fairly judge the price for a seat the way we currently do, you would need to completely optimize space both height and width, then put people where they fit and charge them on that.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
im envisioning some type of system where people are loaded into modular cubes, and placed onto the plane in a tetris-like fashion. Obviously I'm hearing the song as well.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinhatman

I went from a huge bloated 275 to an athletic 230, from a size 42 to a size 32 and I am still dropping, it is a lifestyle change. Make the right choices and stop forcing your lack of willpower on everyone else. No one likes a fatty (I know) and no one especially likes a fatty crybaby.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Tinhatman]

Too bad you could not do something about your friendly personality at the same time. Shame really. Some skinny people are ugly and obscene while some fat people are wonderful and kind. Go figure?

You must have bribed a Mod to not get warned.

Not to worry Mod's, just kidding.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I think I'll be keeping my feet on the ground.
Too many hassles in flying these days. I'm not obese, but I sure as heck would rather pay to drive or take a boat verses flying.

But in regards to the OP, I believe that all seats should remain the same price.
Besides you can't (or well the planes I've been in) you can't lift that arm to make it more room anyway.

But since I'm "Taller" than "most" does that mean I must pay for an isle seat just so my head doesn't hit the roof?

[edit on 11/12/2007 by wyldwylly]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by wyldwylly
since I'm "Taller" than "most" does that mean I must pay for an isle seat just so my head doesn't hit the roof?

If it's a comfort issue, then yes. People should have to pay extra for comfort, but not for accommodation. Technically, it's a handicap.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
From a business standpoint, it's a very good idea.

If an obese person is hanging over the two seats to each side, thats either two seats that the airliner is not getting paid for, or its two seats with rather disgruntled passengers who will likely not fly with that airline again.

Essentially, obese people cost the airlines money.

However, I do believe it should be the choice of the airline. If some airlines make obese people pay for two seats, you may find many people choosing that airline so they have shoulder room.

And on the flip side of the coin, the few airlines that chose not to, will still have a niche market with obese people.

Hence, it should be the choice of the airline whether or not they charge obese people more.

Seating obese people next to healthy people costs the airline money and reputation as it stands right now.

apc

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
And on the flip side of the coin, the few airlines that chose not to, will still have a niche market with obese people.

That airline couldn't fly out of my airport. There's nowhere to eat past the checkpoints. But I'm not sure if they could even hold the niche. They would have to charge more for tickets anyway to cover the additional fuel costs.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this all day. I'm not large enough to need a special seat. I do need the legroom though. I'd gladly pay a fair extra amount if they would have flights with 50% more room and weight allowance for 50% more in price than Coach. I'd think there is enough people who would pay to justify entire planes of an Intermediate Class on Domestic Flights. Weight equals fuel, so that would decrease their costs and attract Passengers. Seems like a no brainier really. Limit large people to those flights. Just from guessing, I'd say 1 in 4 passengers may be of a stature to want a better seat if it were not so high priced. The benefits would be great. Plenty of room in the overhead. Another carry-on for when they loose your stuff. More weight allowed in the suitcases. Lots of pluses and it would accommodate larger people.

After reading all the posts from the KKK for fat haters. It might save some large person from a lynching as well
I've had to much coffee today.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
There should be a new system of seating arrangements...
after obtaining a boarding pass seats are allocated by the hosties...

I only hope they lump all the fatties together, and let them have a taste of the comfort level they impose on the majority if they are not willing to pay for extra seating.. a few trips like this would soon see them forking out

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by pepsi78
What happens if a person does not fit in 2 seats, what then? there are people of that magnitude, this with 2 seats would not work on everyone, if some one is even larger than 2 seats than I think special airplanes for people like this should be designed where only one category of people fly on that plain, that way no one is bothering no one, and problem is solved.

Well, if it makes sense, business wise, then someone will do it. People are not opposed to selling to fat people, they love it. There's an entire industry devoted to selling items to fat people, it's a 100's/mil yr. industry.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 08:55 PM
link   
This topic is in fact shocking!!...Not because of the theme/subject in debate, but due to the majority of the opinions! It just shows clearly how people are getting insane this days, and loosing all they'r humanity in the process!! Maybe when the system starts to ripp of your skinn for some prupose, you will see that something it's not right at all!!

What you guys wish to debate next? Maybe we need to start a new topic about how women with big breasts must be forbbiden to fly next to windows because they'r boobs dosen't alow us to see the view!!??
Or maybe they must pay more then men because the plane consumes more fuel?!!

Better, what you think of preignent woman to be forced to pay 2 tickets??! They are in fact 2 persons in one, like a russian doll...Or arrest them after a flight because they are carring a clandestine passanger?""!!...

Just desgracefull, the world is totaly lost while the people keeps thinking in a extraordinary selfish way like this!!

[edit on 11/12/07 by Umbra Sideralis]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis

What you guys wish to debate next? Maybe we need to start a new topic about how women with big breasts must be forbbiden to fly next to windows because they'r boobs dosen't alow us to see the view!!??

To show you that I'm not like all the rest, I would not only not have a problem with your scenario, but I would demand to be seated next to her!

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Wow, what's shocking about this is not the news article itself but the vehement and hate filled responses of some of the people. It's so bad that people who are disagreeing are having to say "I'm not fat, but..."

It just goes to show you that people always love to hate on other people when they dont fit into society's concept of how you should look/act. At first people were targeting smokers, now overweight people. Sad, sad world.

And yes, I'm sure I'll be accused of being some overweight fat ass because I think you people are filled with irrational hatred and no understanding, so be it. It just further proves the point.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:56 PM
link   
People understand very well before they fly, that it's a possibility that they may be seated to a morbidly obese individial or a very tall / muscular one. If they don't like it - fly buisness class.

That doesn't change a thing however, this law is stupid. It just doesn't work.

There is no way this would work. The British governments definition results in the England rugby team being classified as seriously overweight. Bull #. How will it be measured? Where and when will you pay this tax? At the check in desk, or will you have to type your weight etc into the airlines website. There are just too many problems with this that it can never go ahead. It is just a typical product of the over regulated society in which we live in today.

If it does come to light, it will be obviously a cheap attempt to make money, while at the same time, detracting attention from the real issue. People are fat. People are getting fatter. Fining them will do nothing good. It may even provoke people to go into an endless eating cycle.

And think this - If they pay double for two seats... why is the enormous proportion of obese people going to fly with that airline? Here's a hint - they wouldn't. They would fly on a competing airline with no such laws.

This would HURT airlines more than help them, and that's even if they can get it to work at all.

Obese people, take a look at dieting plans, look how fairly simple and cheap it is for you to be abled to loose this weight. Please, for your own health, and other peoples comfort, please loose your weight. Please.

But that still doesn't take away from the fact that this law IS stupid.

WE ALL KNOW, DAMN GOOD AND WELL, THAT NORMAL AIRPLANE SEATS ARE TOO SMALL FOR MOST PEOPLE!!

The whole reason airline seats are rather small is so they can fit more people within an Aircraft so the airline can make more money. Of course; they could fit fewer people into an aircaft and raise fairs - but then less people will book in and they'll make less money.

There is no problem with airline seats, most people don't have there fat literally spilling over the armrests onto the person next to thems lap. And that's the whole issue.

If you don't like small seats then go fly buisness class or an airline with larger seats. With fuel prices as they are, it's pretty damn lucky that you even get to fly at all.

[edit on 11/12/2007 by C0bzz]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rasobasi420
OK, so they pay double and get two seats.

Does that mean that they also get two meals?

That would only be fair. Or a discount for the meal on the second ticket. They should definitely have to pay more for taking up two seats.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

Different planes different rules. On planes with rows 3 seats across the easiest solution would be to sell them 1 1/2 seats. They would then be seated next to another passenger who also bought a 1 1/2 seat(A taste of their own medicine?). At most this would cost the airlines 1/2 of a seat in revenue per flight. This is the solution on flights where there is at least one 3 seat row.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
Maybe we need to start a new topic about how women with big breasts must be forbbiden to fly next to windows because they'r boobs dosen't alow us to see the view!!??

Now that just doesn't make any sense. How can the view block itself?

Alright. It's time for somebody to propose an idea that meets the following criteria:

1. The solution must use existing planes because designing entirely new ones would be cost-prohibitive.

2. The solution must not require the additional costs of transporting people with weight problems to be paid by people who are not behind the problem, eg, the non-obese people.

3. The solution must not result in the airline losing profits, due to the fact that their profits are already in steep decline and millions of jobs are at stake if the airline industry suffers.

4. The solution should result in people not being crammed against overweight people, for the comfort of BOTH individuals involved.

Now. Let's be perfectly clear. Adding special "fat people seats" would cost the airline money. So in order to satisfy condition number 2, installing these seats could not cause the rates for ordinary seats to be raised. To satisfy condition number 3, these new seats would have to cost more in order to offset the cost of installing them and the lost profit to due decreased airline capacity.

Allowing an overweight person to occupy two seats and pay for one does not satisfy condition number 3 at all, unless you raise prices for everyone, which does not satisfy condition number 2.

Just forcing them to occupy one seat obviously conflicts with the fourth requirement and can be ruled out.

Therefor, the only thing that can be done to ensure the overweight people are the only ones suffering the consequences of their lifestyle are themselves, is to charge them for two seats.

Otherwise, those of us who watch our weight are forced to pay for the transportation of other people's guts. It's not about hate, it's about making people pull their own weight, in the most literal sense of the term.

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Airplane seats are way to small in the first place! I'm a skinny 145 lb guy and I still find them extremely uncomfortable. Yet I say, let them pay more. Maybe it will be incentive to lose some weight! Sorry if I sound insensitive.. but I am, so thats how it comes across

posted on Dec, 12 2007 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Maybe fat people should all take boats instead for overseas journeys.They could go on a cruise liner heaps of smorgasboards on there.To bad if they're in a hurry sometimes theres penalties in life.I have no sympathy for obese/morbidly obese people

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join