It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese should buy two plane seats, says Australia survey

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul
arennt Fat people also a health risk
i mean say if the plane makes a crash landing or something in water, can you imagine the time it would take chubby to get of his/her chair and get to an emergency exit?

Well it is a question really, can fat people get out of a plane in 90 seconds with only half the exits available? My guess would be it's a fairly close one.

Though in water, you'd be mainly bothered about where your occupied piece of fuselage stopped. And since they float better it would be harder to get out as well (see why you can't inflate your lifejacket inside the plane for why).

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
What about when a little person flies should they not get a much lower rate?

I already addressed that point. Airlines require you to have your own seat if you're 2 years old or older. I've flown with two small children that could have taken up one seat but safety issues require them to have their own seat. If you occupy a seat you pay for it so both children paid full fare just as I did. (Actually I paid for all the seats).

Maybe they could work out a compromise and let the fat guy pay for half the skinny guys seat. If you are overflowing into the seat beside you, you should pay. Bottom line.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Bigger seats=more weight=less seats=higher ticket prices.

Would you rather just suck it up and sit next to a fat person the way things are now, or have to pay higher ticket prices because of that fat person?

Thankfully my stepfather has like a billion frequent flyer miles and he always gets us upgraded to first class. Oh......the poor poor little people!

*runs and hides*

Peace

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I may be wrong, but have the size of airline seats changed at all since the 50’s or 60’s? Because I believe people have. When I was in high school, I was over 6 ft and wore a size 12, something that was considered hard to find or a special order. Today’s youth tower over me and I believe that the newer generations are larger.

I understand that the industry profits are driven by the numbers of passengers. So more seats equal more bucks. But do you think that companies who send employees all over the world are going to agree to pay double for their overweight employees? They’ll take there business to another airline, so it’s going be JQ Public who ends up paying.

The Solution is to increase the size of the seat to accommodate the general public and distribute the cost lost over the whole of the aircraft.

Having said all that, please note that I said general public. If someone is overweight (like me) it is an intrusion on someone else’s space that they paid money for (although the armrest theory is a fantasy those in the middle like to have. It’s not an armrest it’s simply a seat divider) and if someone’s size spills over into another seat, it’s totally understandable to charge that individual for the seat provided the airlines don’t then turn around and try to slip someone else into that seat. An alternative would be to charge an additional to the overweight passenger and discount the inconvenienced passenger.

I believe that most of the overweight individuals are like others have pointed out, just lazy and overeaters. In my case, I’m lazy. There, I said it. I know that if I exercise, the weight begins to drop, so I have no one to blame but myself. But he majority of overweight people I know, want to blame someone or something else for their weight.

Don’t get me wrong, society has done its share of promoting inactivity. Schools no longer have PE classes for fear of being sued if Johnny or Suzie gets hurt. Playgrounds are become ghost towns. Video Games allow us to do our Running, jumping, etc, without leaving the comfort of our armchairs. And my personal demons are the TV and now the Internet.

Like many times in the past, I’ve just recently began attempting to lose weight yet again. But based on my past track record, it’s going to be a hard road.

But bottom line is that if Airlines start charging for extra seats, it’s going to snowball to theaters, ball games, and anything where fixed seating is standard. Maybe if that happens, people like me will get off our butts and do something to make them smaller.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Umbra Sideralis

Airlines are businesses, not charities. You have X amount of space on board an airplane, so you maximize efficiencies by not having fewer seats than you can. If you want a bigger seat, there's First Class/Business Class. There is no absolute right to fly, so if you are too big to fit in a seat, it's the airline's fault? Enabling folks to continue with poor lifestyle choices does them no help in the long run.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

I understand that my point was more along the lines though of amount of fuel used to transport that person and the room they take up.

The safety issues when it comes to flying are really a joke; most crashes end in a charred mess. The very few times have I seen survivors in a land crash from a plane that was flying, landing and takeoff I have seen more survivors. Still though I find it odd that at two they require one to have their own seat but smaller children are not. What about the baby being held (I would assume) there are chances of them flying out of the parents arms. But then again the human ideas of safety and imposing rules are somewhat strange in itself. But that is another issue to take on at a later date.

Now being that I am a skinny guy I’m not sure I want to “share” my seat with someone else that is not a family member. I sort of have issues with being forced to be in close proximity to someone I do not want to be near.

The only real solution to this is to have separate airlines for those under or over certain weights, anyone wanting to fly with a certain person would then pay an increased amount for taking up a seat of a special airline. Or of course people could start working at getting back to the average size of those when the seats were originally designed.

Raist

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Or quite simply, take four seats out and replace them with two bench things for the obese.

Job done.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Or quite simply say- this is how big our seats are. You can't bring a trunk on board as carry on, so why should someone who takes up several seats be the airline's or other passenger's fault?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The real problem is the Airlines themselves. I have to pay for First Class and can seldom fly because the tiny seats with no leg room cause blood clots in my legs. They also maintain the pressure at such a high altitude that anyone with health problems suffers. They purposefully don't offer a middle ground as a solution. They don't because if you cant handle the small seats and having your knees in your chest you have to pay 3 or 4 times as much for half again as much space. They want you uncomfortable because you will pay 3 times as much per square inch and the plane can carry less weight. They should force the Airlines to deal with this.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
They should force the Airlines to deal with this.

They being who exactly? Are you suggesting that the governments should tell airlines how to run their businesses, without regard to operating costs, economics, etc...?

It's unfortunate that obese passengers have these limitations, but there are a lot of things in life that obese people can't do either. Part of the incentive to living a healthier lifestyle, is that it allows you to do things that you'd like to do, instead of sitting around feeling sorry for yourself.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbra Sideralis
I think it's unfair. Maybe the best option should be the Air plane companies start to make a few "especial" sits for obese people. But at a normal price, because to be a obese is very similar to be sic with a ilness.
Ill people should´nt must pay more then others.

Right....

Personally..

I think that the fat guy sitting next to me, taking up my seat and stinking up the cabin should be forced to pay for half of my seat. If I get stuck between to fatties, well then my seat should be free.

If we make new seats for them, we might as well have heifer flights where only fat people can fly, and normal people go on normal planes.

That is my rude post for the day.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
I figure it like this, if I ever have to pay double, then I better actually get that seat, not just pay a surcharge. But the way people are these days, I could care less about other peoples comfort anymore. when you start brushing your teeth, putting on deodorant, NOT marinate yourself in some sickly sweet perfume, pop some beano and not flail wildly while traveling, i might eventually start to give a hoot. when I was thinner, I still had very broad shoulders, well guess what sparky, you're going to be shoulder to shoulder with me, deal with it, I paid to be here too.

heres an easy solution, raise the rates if you have to.. for *everyone* and start giving people a human sized seat again. I've mostly only traveled US domestic, and its always hell. when I flew qantas to australia, their seats were great. more room, people could get comfortable and you know what, people were happier during and after the flight.

heres a better theory.. I am the consumer, I have the money to give you, how about I demand satisfaction. I want a seat that will fit me comfortably, not one measured for the butt of a size 0 white girl as a justification for saying what is too big.

at what point to we rebel against being treated like cattle?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Karl, you support discrimination do you, dont you realise this is yet another scam for airline companies to make more profit and nothing else. I cannot beleive that people today fall so easily into these traps. Would you say anything if they said black people should not fly or should pay more no you would not.

Would you say Muslims should pay more for their tickets because they are the cause of all the extra security at airports, no they would be plain ignorant but some people would think its a good idea.

Where do you draw the line, lets say you earn more money should you pay more for your seat, when are people going to use the brains they are born with.

Discrimination stop it now.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

You can't even begin to compare obesity to being black or muslim. As a tall guy, can I claim I'm being discriminated against if I hit my head against things that hang too low? Can blind people claim discrimination because they're not allowed to drive? Airlines profit margins are not analogous to oil companies. Why do you think that things you once took for granted(meals and drinks) aren't necessarily free. Airlines have had to cut costs, and seat size is another area. Do I like being cramped? No. Do I understand why they've done it? Yes.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:20 PM
link   
I was on a flight once and a very obese woman sat in the seat next to me. She wanted to move the armrest that was between us up so she would have more room.

She already had blubbered past her part of the seat above and below the armrest.

I am not a small person. I told her to leave the armrest down or I would contact the flight attendent. If she had put the armrest up she would have pushed me into the person by the window.

That's just not fair. I paid for my seat, I shouldn't have to share it with someone else.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Blue, no your wrong if you remark on a persons, colour, sex, creed or in this case size its just dicrimination its as simple as that, and airlines are using this to charge more so they are discriminating because of a persons size.
I dont like screaming kids on a plane but I would not expect airlines to not let them fly or charge parents more for it because thats DISCRIMINATION.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Some of you people just don't think do you? Eating is survival. Some people are made up in such a way that the survival mechanism over-rides all else and in modern times they end up with plenty and they get fat for winter survival. Its is a matter of the human mind advanced beyond the bodies ability to be able to regulate because those people are in survival mode all the time.

You ever see a barn cat get ready for winter? They get really fat and start moving slower to conserve calories.

Some people have these same genes and gain more weight every winter.

The problem is that life is easier now and they don't lose it in summer. Most of them HATE being fat. Would you like all eyes on you in disgust everywhere you go? Have someone talk about you like you are no longer a person?

A blob of fat meat? A sideshow? Would you like to have to get all your courage together and keep telling yourself you are ok, just to have the nerve to deal with this commercialized jerks judging you EVERYWHERE you go?

Now think.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by magicmushroom

You can't help it if you're a man, woman, white, black, or asian. That's out of your control. You can do something about your weight if it's a problem. No one puts the food in your mouth but yourself.

If weight is a disease, keep your disease in your seat and don't let it overflow into mine.

(By "your" I mean people in general, not you)

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:32 PM
link   
IMO, obesity is an addiction, caused by depression and an inner need not being filled. If it's not food, maybe shopping? alcohol? drugs?

Personally, I don't buy the "gland problems". Show me the person who consumes NO processed foods (no corn syrup, no msg, no hydrogenated oils, etc.) and eats a truly balanced diet who is fat and obese. They don't exist, as far as I can tell. My mom used to tell me I was "big boned". Guess what? I stopped eating processed foods and "magic", I was no longer big boned. Ever seen a fat skeleton? lol, me either.

I wonder if forcing people to deal with their issues (like perhaps by charging them double for a seat) will return society back to one which is accountable for it's own actions?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucky One

Screw that, if they have a problem with how they look they have the power to change it themelves. We are not talking about deformaties here, just some excess weight that you can take off if you take the time and work at it.

I think the airlines are well within their means to deny passage to people who are overweight. It is a safety issue for the rest of the passengers. In the event of an emergency, you now have to deal with some overweight person slowing everyone else down if they have to escape.

I don't think it is discrimination, because they choose to be fat.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join