It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese should buy two plane seats, says Australia survey

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by migliavacca

when druggies and drunks make a nuisance of themselves on an aircraft its usually not too long before they are subdued and tranquilized by the crew-------------at least according to the news reports-----------and if the situation is bad enough an emergency landing is made for the police to drag away the offender.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by yahn goodey

I know. I've seen them removed from the airplane before. I just don't understand how that poster can claim it's discriminatory against overweight people when it's not discriminatory to alcoholics/dopers. Alcohol is a disease, yet we're not forced to put up with its consequences. Why should we be forced to put up with obesity if it infringes upon us?

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by migliavacca
reply to post by yahn goodey

I know. I've seen them removed from the airplane before. I just don't understand how that poster can claim it's discriminatory against overweight people when it's not discriminatory to alcoholics/dopers. Alcohol is a disease, yet we're not forced to put up with its consequences. Why should we be forced to put up with obesity if it infringes upon us?

I know that was mostly rhetorical, but............ Primarily because we live in a society that does not think fat people have an addiction, like the coke head. They try to find reasons why they are fat... thyroid, fast food, etc. when the reality is thee people lack the same core things a person addicted to anything else lacks. Plus, I'd LOVE to see the day overeating is labeled for what it is, an addiction..... hello lawsuits.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Well I think that if I buy an airline ticket for one seat, I expect my seat to be available to me and not partially because the person sitting next to me requires half of my seat.

So yes I believe that due to safety issues and issues of space availability they should pay for two seats.

Because I refuse to share mine with anybody else.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I am 5' tall and I guess "small" but not anorexic small (LOL).

Last time I flew, I felt closterphobic and felt the seat was cramped - for me! I cant even imagine how an average size person fits in them!!!

As far as people sitting next to you. Uggg. I always....always...get stuck next to some weirdo. The worst was some really big, greasy, stinky, dude who felt the need to pull out a playboy and "read" it....but tried to hide it in his newspaper
Nice.

As far as the topic goes. The airlines wont fix the problem. Like others have said.....they are in this to make money, not make people confortable. People will still fly regardless of the uncomfortable seats...and they know this.

But if a person is going to encroach onto a 2nd seat....then yeah, they should have to be paying for the extra seat....because nobody wants to sit in a seat w/ someone sharing it with them.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I do not think it is fair to make on overweight person pay for two seats and still try to get us to sit in mostly one. So not only do we get to feel uncomfortable and embarrassed but we have to pay extra for it. As an overweight guy I would be more than willing to pay extra for an over sized seat. It would be a lot more comfortable and the airlines could also let other average sized passengers have the option to pay for an over sized seat for extra space and comfort. I understand that people don't like when big people start to infringe on their personal seat space, but let me tell you we don't like it either. We don't look forward to trying to squeeze ourselves into tight very uncomfortable positions. Also the looks and gestures we get aren't fun either.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:54 PM
link   
If you take up more than one seat then you should have to pay for the additional seating.

Common sense.

And I agree ... I don't want a tubbo sitting in my lap on an airplane ride.

I pay hundreds of dollars for the ride. I deserve my own seat.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Anyone claiming that the Fats should get to pay the same price for an oversize seat as I pay for my normal size seat can also please go and explain to the restaurant why my steak dinner should cost as much as my girlfriend's side salad. Also please tell Mercedes and BMW that they should charge the same for their top end luxury sedans as Chevy charges for the Aveo.

If me and my brother were to fly to New York we would both have to buy our own ticket for one seat each, yet if some Fatass flies to New York he should be able to get two seats for his fatass for the price of one?! If anything that is discrimination against thin or normal sized people and all of you should be ashamed of yourselves for suggesting otherwise. It blows my mind that anyone would even suggest this kind of crap. Or "the larger seats for larger people" argument. They have those already, it's called first class and it is expensive. Stop buying so many damn cheeseburgers and milk shakes and then you could afford it. I guess you would not be so huge then right and you would not need it.

And for those of you that think your obesity is a sickness or a disease, I know the cure. Buy a bottle of the most powerful sleeping pills you can and take them all. You will never be worried about being fat again.

Please note: Tinhatman does not condone suicide and is not responsible for any of you fat slugs committing suicide. Tinhatman recomends a proper diet and exercise to lose weight. Tinhatman lost 45 lbs using diet and exercise.

Stop crying and stop eating. Your disgusting and you make normal people sick and you smell bad. Not trying to be mean and mean no offense. Just telling the truth.

I went from a huge bloated 275 to an athletic 230, from a size 42 to a size 32 and I am still dropping, it is a lifestyle change. Make the right choices and stop forcing your lack of willpower on everyone else. No one likes a fatty (I know) and no one especially likes a fatty crybaby.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Tinhatman]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadFlagBlues
As soon as I was about to press it he woke up and it was a the most awkward staredown ever. Hand in the cookie jar, my friends.

oh man, if I was drinking milk, it would have come out of my nose when I read that.

I think people too big to fit in one seat, should either have to pay for two seats, or wait for a less crowded flight. Alternatively, maybe one of the airlines could create a plane that caters to overweight people, or develop a special section for overweight people to sit.

Here's another alternative. Instead of selling 1 ticket = 1 flight, perhaps people can pay based on the square inches they will take up, hence how many seats they will need. So instead of buying a ticket that says you can fly from A to B, you have to by "space." And if you didn't buy enough space, you can't fly. Hows that for sensitivity?

[edit on 11-12-2007 by scientist]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinhatman
And for those of you that think your obesity is a sickness or a disease, I know the cure. Buy a bottle of the most powerful sleeping pills you can and take them all. You will never be worried about being fat again.

Please note: Tinhatman does not condone suicide and is not responsible for any of you fat slugs committing suicide. Tinhatman recomends a proper diet and exercise to lose weight. Tinhatman lost 45 lbs using diet and exercise.

Stop crying and stop eating. Your disgusting and you make normal people sick and you smell bad. Not trying to be mean and mean no offense. Just telling the truth.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by Tinhatman]

I take offense at this.. to declare I should take a bottle of sleeping pills to cure myself and to make general sweeping statements about all overweight people... so I am disgusting, I make you sick, and I smell bad. You must have some very special powers to be able to tell all that with never meeting me, and it must be true because you are "just telling the truth". Maybe I should head down to the local store and pick up "the cure", I wouldn't want to offend your senses any longer.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tinhatman
Your disgusting and you make normal people sick and you smell bad. Not trying to be mean and mean no offense.

not trying to be mean? yeah, right.
In fact, the leading cause of body odor (other than not showering) is body hair, not fat.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:32 PM
link   
All I can say is this:

ANY airline that offers a non-stop from Tokyo to Chicago, NYC or Toronto and makes obese people buy two tickets will have my patronage. Twice a year, for the foreseeable future.

And I`m sure I`m not alone in that.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
I thought they were already doing this on some airlines - maybe not?

Yes absolutely. Fat people who can't fit into the seats should be required to pay extra for bigger seats. Fly business.

And being FAT has only one cause, eating more calories than your body can metabolise, which ends up stored as fat. If you're fat, you eat too much, period.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1Angrylightbulb
but let me tell you we don't like it either. We don't look forward to trying to squeeze ourselves into tight very uncomfortable positions. Also the looks and gestures we get aren't fun either.

I don't understand this. You don't seem to mind as much as you are trying to make us think, otherwise you would change your situation. I'm sure it's not "fun" to feel like this, but it seems you enjoy eating bad food and being unhealthy more than you dislike feeling this way. I mean no disrespect.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by urbal

I've tried more times than i can count to change my situation. I don't enjoy being overweight. I can't speak for anyone else but my personal problem is I am addicted to food. Now I don't blame anybody else for this...I got myself into this situation, but I find it very hard to alter this. Addictions are sometimes hard to overcome and they are even harder when you need the addiction to live. People need to eat to stay alive, you can't just quit eating cold turkey and get rid of all food like you can do with other addictions. To me it would be like trying to get an alcoholic or smoker to change their situation while still letting them have a few drinks or cigarettes daily. Sooner or later though I personally think I will be able to adjust my eating habits for good.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I actually agree that people taking up more than their seat should pay more, but the way in which it is put into action is unfair. Some guy with huge shoulders and long legs hanging into other seats gets the same price while a fatter more compact person pays more. The airlines are also continually making seats smaller, to the point where it is uncomfortable for someone of normal size, is it fair to make one group of people pay more as the result of a price cut? If anything I would recommend not buying a seat, but buying x cubic space.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
the real joke is on anyone who wants to fly comfortably in coach. I don't care how big you or the people sitting next to you are, it will be uncomfortable anyways.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Karlhungis

My family has a few super extra large people and I think YES...they should pay for the extra room.
I think that airplanes should have some obese seats in the planes....super extra large seats that cost MORE........and if your of a certain size you must pay for that size seat. It horrible to travel with my portly family members as I get squeezed right out of the seat I am in and thats completely UNFAIR!!! Let alone sitting next to a stranger thats overflowing the seat they bought into yours....I really like the idea of buying X cubic space as adiventure suggested above. Thats a fair and equitable way to do it

If you have a phobia of people touching you, you would probably want to buy the extra large seats to keep people from rubbing up against you. I know people with an 'accidental touching' phobia and I know they would gladly pay for the extra space around them.

I think ALL airlines should be doing this for the sake of the regular sized people.....they should all sell cubic space on the plane.
It is only fair.

[edit on 11-12-2007 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:04 PM
link   
The problem is that the airlines that have, or have tried to implement it have done it either on a weight guideline, or whether or not someone needed a belt extender. And those do not accurately predict if someone is taking up too much room.

posted on Dec, 11 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
What happens if a person does not fit in 2 seats, what then? there are people of that magnitude, this with 2 seats would not work on everyone, if some one is even larger than 2 seats than I think special airplanes for people like this should be designed where only one category of people fly on that plain, that way no one is bothering no one, and problem is solved.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join