It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And most people still say "We are allone in the universe" yea right

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'd like to point out that current science is proving some of Einstein's ideas to be erroneous. Note, I said SOME.

I await the pelting with rocks.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by codex code

If we pack a lunch, gas up and leave now........

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by elevatedone]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by 123143

hahaha, no pelting, i think thats great, we need another great mind like einstein, i'm just sayin what i know, its almost cynical, and i dont like it but call me a flat-earther if you will, but i wont be convinced till we do it, or aliens come or whatever, but to get back on topic there is no way we are alone, no way, we might even have some forms of life in our solar system, we dont know about fossils on mars, maybe billions of years ago when our sun was hotter the "green zone" we live in right now encompased mars when its magnetic field was still active... or look at europa, that moon of jupiter made out of ice, maybe theres water down there, possibly life forms living off the radiation from Eo, the other moon close by

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

Okay thx but still 20% does not believe it oh my its the same like in the early days when people thought the sun was spinning arround the earth and that the earth was flat etc heh oh well "time will tell"

peace to ya alll

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
one scientist once said

"there are a billion galaxys in the universe for every grain of sand on earth"

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

oh and as for travel, if einstien were correct, there is no feasible way to travel to any other systems,

sure there is but you just cant travel at the speed of light, realistically we could acheive 1/10th light speed

1.generation ships- crew set off in their ship make babies on the way and the offspring are the ones who colonize a new world.
2. Invent some sort of stasis device that hibernates the people until they reach the destination like in the alien movies. No need to go light speed

[edit on 6-12-2007 by yeti101]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
If we are alone in the universe then that is one helluva waste of space!

It has been proven that wherever liquid water exists one can usually find life. . . Therefore one would have to be quite naieve to believe that liquid water only exists on Earth.

2PacSade-

spelling

[edit on 6-12-2007 by 2PacSade]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
well when people ask " are we alone?" theyre talking about sentient intelligent beings like us. Not just microbes or even advanced life like plants/animals.

Life is one thing. Intelligent life is something else, i suspect there are alot of planets with life but no intelligent life on them. Still i hold out for a few thousand in our own galaxy which do have civilizations

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
sure there is but you just cant travel at the speed of light, realistically we could acheive 1/10th light speed

Realistically? I dont think we can be the judge of that: We dont even HAVE any decent spacecrafts yet and at the rate NASA is flushing money down the drain without accomplishing anything, we wont see any in the next 100 years.

Here's what Scientific American said a hundred years ago:
"Airplanes suffers from so many technical faults that it is only a matter of time before any reasonable man realizes that they are useless!"

Regarding the topic at hand, there was a thread about it not to long ago. Fact is, its just as stupid to say there IS others out there as it is to say there ISNT. We have NO precedence whatsoever, the foundation of proving something scientifically. UFOs have yet to be absolutely proven to be a fact. The biological life confirmation on Mars hasnt been repeated.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I'm not sure I'd agree with the premise of your statement. Most people do not think we are alone in the Universe. Most of the worlds Religions believe in other Beings in this Universe. It is a basic precept. Everything from Angels and Demons too Heaven and Hell.

I think were you must be coming from is that most people do not believe in things like Reptilians from other planets visiting us or hidden planets behind the Sun and other unsupported notions.

I believe most everyone knows there must be plenty of life out there in one form or another but are sceptical of the Mythology that surrounds it.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
IMHO, we need to step away from the narrow-minded belief that life as we know it is the only kind of life. Look at what thrives near volcanic vents, on the sea floor, and in the waters around the Antarctic, all places where we never expected to find life.

We don't know it all and we shouldn't assume that life elsewhere will resemble that in our ecosystem in any way.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
As someone who personally believes in the existence of extraterrestrials, I will admit that it is debatable whether or not intelligent life from other worlds has, or does, visited this planet.

But what I think is not debatable is whether or not life exists elsewhere in the universe. I personally feel that it is impossible for there not to be other life in our universe. I'll even go so far as to say that it's impossible that there isn't intelligent life in our universe.

And I think that the majority of those who believe we are alone in the universe haven't taken the adequate time to investigate or look into the subject before reaching their decision. I don't think the average person truly understands the scale and size of the universe. I think that if they truly knew there were BILLIONS and BILLIONS of other planets, stars and moons, that they would be more likely to concede that extraterrestrial life is a strong possibility.

I must also add that as a church-going Christian (Episcopalian), I don't feel like the existence of extraterrestrials contradicts my religious beliefs. I think it's ignorant to say that the existence of aliens undermines the existence of God/Christ/etc. I feel that just as creationism and evolution can co-exist, religion and the existence of ET's can coexist. And I'm not alone. I know plenty of religious people who believe in aliens/UFO's.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Realistically? I dont think we can be the judge of that: We dont even HAVE any decent spacecrafts yet and at the rate NASA is flushing money down the drain without accomplishing anything, we wont see any in the next 100 years.

realistically as in what the human race might acheive sometime in the future. Could be 100 years or maybe 500 research is ongoing into other methods of propulsion www.centauri-dreams.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Check my sig line.

Besides, there have been sightings, they ARE out there and have been coming here. They're concerned that we've been trashing our planet, one of the more rare "water worlds" out here in our magnificent universe. They want to give us the technology but the shadow government won't allow it likely because it'll overthrow the current oil kings.

NASA probably doesn't see 1/4 of that money, it's being funneled into the shadow government's budget.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
if you look at the turbulent nature of this planet its a miracle we are even here, we have been incredibely lucky we have giant outer planets whose gravitational pull prevents a lot of things hitting us the steady slight stabilising of the moon everything was perfect for us to become what we are, the odds for that alone are probably greater than the numbers in the universe, in our path of evolution one tiny accident or natural disaster could of ended our species before it began but we are fortunate if not persistant, do i think life exists out there most definately in some form or another do i believe intelligent life exists out there, im not sure, intelligence is a means to survive for our species its why we are what we are and we are unique on our planet just because numbers can be added up to make alien life probable it doenst make it inevitable, intelligence isnt the measure of life or its goal its our true strength and im inclined to think its ours alone

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by newworldnews2007

human vanity causes us to create a god in our image thinking we are alone and the only important lifeforms to Elohim.revelation 5:13 reveals that we are not alone-------------every created thing which is in the heaven and on the earth and under the earth and on the sea and all things that are in them---------- i heard saying-------------thankYou====Creators.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

Follow me here:

If there are one trillion galaxies, with one trillion stars each, then there are approximately 10^24 stars in the universe (1 followed by 24 zeros.)

The chances of correctly predicting 100 coin tosses as "heads" or "tails" is 2^100, equals approximately 10^30 (1 followed by 30 zeros.)

So -- if there are 100 different things must occur for life to exist, and each thing has a 50:50 chance of occurring, then the chances of life existing ANYWHERE in the universe is only one chance in a million, which are pretty slim odds.

Although the universe is vast, statistical probabilities quickly compound to equally vast numbers.

#

I think it is comforting to believe that life exists elsewhere, because it makes the consequences of messing up this planet less important. But what if, in the entire universe, earth is the only place with life? What if we are really THAT precious?

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

nope all they need to do is bend space time and pull the other part towards the ship, this way you dont need to cross lightspeed, adding that lightspeed even takes years to reach an other star, simple and effective and yep scientists know this is possible just we miss the tech mm or at least we us people, gues those dudes at A51 know more about it.... just wish they shared some more on the net or hacked some government mainframes with all this info..... ohwelll lets keep waiting... ill surf the wave

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   
fact my friend, in fact we are still finding new lifeforms in deep oceans, under extreme conditions, high pressure freezing temperatures, living in the toxic fumes, or high acid conditions, they are from small bacteria to large squids to small but interesting lobsters, i mean look at our earth and see the earth as the universe the oceans as space and the countries as solarsystems, i mean you see all is actually very close to home, so use earth as an model for the universe, and you can find most of the answers...

Nature finds its way...

i wanted to ad that NASA and ESA YOU SUCK lying about your findings and altering photos so we the people will think different well sorry but we are not blind and also not stuppid, you actually give us the info on a plate just that you forget to ad the side dish and the salad so get lost....

Originally posted by TheHypnoToad
There was a really good show on the History Channel... I think Monday night... about the discovery of new planets, including an earth-like planet.

They were explaining what would make a planet a hospitable environment for life, and one example they showed was that of a planet that was orbiting a pulsar. The guy was saying that if you were on that planet, there would be so much radiation that you would die. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe something could live in an environment like that. Of course it wouldn't be a form of life anything like us, if that's the case.

Discussion of what would support life is always kind of limited, I think. I mean, just because a planet might not support human life (or other earth creatures) doesn't mean that it's not possible. I mean, haven't we found little organisms and creatures that can live inside of ice? Or in acidic conditions? In those burning hot springs?

Just a thought. Really interesting program, though.

[edit on 6-12-2007 by newworldnews2007]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:02 PM
link   
LIfe on another world will look radiaclly differnet than ourselves..if the dinosaurs had not been wiped out, it may have been dino riding around in Mercury 1 instead of human beings.

another world evolving intelligent life that looks like us...i doubt it. They will appear in a manner we cannot imagine. It always amazed me that ET look like us...they could be octopus or bird like, could be a mass of gelatin with a brain...could be in a form we would not recognize as life at all; silicon based.

will be intersting to find out, that is for sure

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join