It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And most people still say "We are allone in the universe" yea right

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
www.spacetelescope.org...

this says enough to me we are just a small piece of sand in our own galaxy look at this photo with so many many galaxies, amazinggggggggg even distant galaxies super far away

I hope 1 day i can say to my children, "this is what they thought back than, now we know better, becouse we live and work with them, differences are set aside"

[edit on 6-12-2007 by newworldnews2007]

[edit on 6-12-2007 by newworldnews2007]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
It would be ignorant to say we are absolutely "alone" in the universe. There's a metaphorical example that will always stay with me from a book on Humanism.

"Imagine the universe the size of the United States. Now, imagine every speck of dust in the United States as a Star. Now, for every star a planetary system. Now, imagine the borders of the United States constantly expanding."

Pretty amazing if you think about it.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   
nice one and true nice quote

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:10 AM
link   
That's a very nice picture. It makes me wonder if beings in other corners of the universe are saying the same thing.

DeadFlagBlues, that's a very good saying.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
WOW awesome pic!
Look at all these galaxies! the possibility of a planet like earth is so high...
website1
website2

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
There are some people who just won't believe in life outside the our planet. I can't even count the number of debates I've had with people who kept on saying, "That's impossible!" or "Nope, don't believe it!" or "Sorry, its not in the bible".

Yes, despite being a man of the faith, I run into God-loving fellows who can't look outside the bible. Ignorance comes in so many colors. There is a certain percentage of people who will not believe if a full-scale invasion occurred. Same goes if Jesus tour a rock tour around the globe.

BTW, that image is of Galaxy M81. There is a 700MB version of it on the same site.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:29 AM
link   
In some ways I think we are 'alone' just because of the massive distance between stars and the difficulty in designing a method to travel to other star systems. But I do believe there are other civilizations out there.

By knowing other civilizations exist, it would put my mind at ease to know that there is a rhyme and reason to life... that we have a purpose. From a non-religious point of view it would help to know that we aren't just some random accident of chemicals mixing together. From a religious point of view it would help to know the creator of the universe didn't make a huge universe billions of light-years across just for Earth to be inhabited by a hostile species we call homo sapiens.

I hope someday we can travel among the stars to visit and collaborate with other species. We may have to invent a device that works outside of the laws of physics as we know them but I believe anything is possible, especially when we aren’t even 100% sure that the laws of physics can’t be broken.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Oh, BTW. When you look at the image (either the 6MB or 700MB versions), check out the right-bottom corner. Its pretty crazy.

Not sure what it is. But it looks like some type of natural phenomenon.

Someone made this comment from a previous post.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by guppy

Wow, what is that? It doesn't really look like a jet. It looks like a "stick" galaxy!

Wait, maybe it's a spiral that we see from edge-on. Looks like they're merging, but they could be very far apart for all we know.

Great post.

[edit on 12/6/07 by 123143]

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by newworldnews2007

Do "most people actually think we are alone in the universe, as far as there being intelligent life somewhere out there?

But for all intents and purposes, we are alone. We are nowhere near being able to travel to other planets in our own solar-system, must less the closest stars. And we may never have that ability. There is no irrefutable evidence that intelligence life is visiting us. For the foreseeable future, it is just us, all alone in the night.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 10:50 AM
link   
reply to post by SaviorComplex

I prefer to think that we just haven't been able to figure out the "travel" aspect of being alone in the neighborhood. They're out there waiting for us, watching us find our way.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
If I were out there waiting and anyone from Earth even took a step closer, I would make sure that they stayed put! We have almost trashed this poor planet we lovingly call home, now we can`t wait to get out there and trash anything we find. Here we persecute anyone who we consider different, or a threat, why would we be any different out there.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:15 AM
link   
There was a really good show on the History Channel... I think Monday night... about the discovery of new planets, including an earth-like planet.

They were explaining what would make a planet a hospitable environment for life, and one example they showed was that of a planet that was orbiting a pulsar. The guy was saying that if you were on that planet, there would be so much radiation that you would die. I couldn't help but wonder if maybe something could live in an environment like that. Of course it wouldn't be a form of life anything like us, if that's the case.

Discussion of what would support life is always kind of limited, I think. I mean, just because a planet might not support human life (or other earth creatures) doesn't mean that it's not possible. I mean, haven't we found little organisms and creatures that can live inside of ice? Or in acidic conditions? In those burning hot springs?

Just a thought. Really interesting program, though.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qwenn
If I were out there waiting and anyone from Earth even took a step closer, I would make sure that they stayed put! We have almost trashed this poor planet we lovingly call home, now we can`t wait to get out there and trash anything we find. Here we persecute anyone who we consider different, or a threat, why would we be any different out there.

Yeah, maybe earthlings are the Mexicans of the Universe and there is a big fence being built to keep us in our own space except for a few who will be granted green cards to do the gardening and clean motel rooms.

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   
as per the history channel pulsar radiation... i think it goes to show that space keeps on giving, and it just keeps getting stranger and stranger, it is completely beyond imagination, humans are so engrained with what we are used to seeing, which is why i would imagine most "aliens" look strikingly like ourselves, which in my mind makes no sense, our planets evolution is completely unique, i just cant imagine another planet's gravitational, weather system, light and any other equation would allow for similar evolution, and one other cool thing me and my dad were talking about is that all life is based on carbon, it is a seriously abundant element on our little world, but what if other lifeforms were based off of other elements? would we even be able to identify them as life? everyone needs to keep all options open, as from earth, saying a life form could be based off of phoserous and breathes CO2 would be completely rediculous, but we dont know, we have no idea, it opens up a completely new idea for which planets, can support life. but its just an idea, i hope were not alone, what a damn waste of space

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:15 PM
link   
oh and as for travel, if einstien were correct, there is no feasible way to travel to any other systems, the closer an object gets to the speed of light, its mass grows and slowly turns into energy, (i think im somewhat right if my memory serves me) and if we were able to travel at the speed of light or faster, time changes, is altered by speed, time as we know it is NOT CONSTANT, as speed of an object increases, time slows for them, its been proven by NASA astronauts that if they take two VERY accurate clocks (like stopwatches) and start the time at the EXACT same time, one will stay on earth and one will fly at crazy speeds in orbit, when the shuttle clock returns, the same amount of time hasnt passed on both clocks, the one that was traveling very fast is slower, noticably, one theory (all part of reletivity) is that if one were to get in a spaceship and travel 5 minutes away from earth at the speed of light, turn around and come back for 5 minutes at the speed of light, your watch would have only passed 10 minutes but YEARS may have gone by on earth, which would allow many to believe that space travel as we know it is not possible, the only probable way would be to find or establish some time of wormhole and use it as a gate to travel to other systems, heres a bit of MS paint relativity for ya--just to show that time is not constant and cannot be thought of as so

now from the perspective the person on the boat, the ball dropped falls straight down, covering say 4 meters in 3 secconds

from the perspective of someone from the shore, watching this ball be dropped on moving boat, the ball falls a distance of say 15 meters in 3 seconds on a diagonal, which, somehow without distorting time doesnt seem possible, it just goes to show that time, is not constant, it is relative to speed and postition, i'm sorry but space travel just cannot be done

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:25 PM
link   
In images like the hubble deep field, whenver you see a smattering of blobs and bright objects, keep this in mind:

If it doesn't have "crosshair" diffraction spikes, it is not a star, it is a galaxy.

ALMOST EVERY OBJECT IN THE HUBBLE DEEP FIELD IS THAT OF A GALAXY!

Each one containing as many as a million million stars!

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Quote:

"Space travel cannot be done."

Hey smarty-pants... are you SURE we're not going to gain any more knowledge or ideas about how to travel among the stars in the next 1000 years? Think of how far we have come in the last 100.

"If God had intended men to fly, he would have given him wings."

"Traveling above the speed of sound is impossible. Supersonic shockwaves will tear the plane apart."

"No human being will ever travel to the moon. The distance is too vast and the size of the rocket needed would make such a task impossible."

"Mankind cannot travel to the stars. It would take too much time, even at the speed of light."

posted on Dec, 6 2007 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by dionysius9

word, word for sure, i guess i should have specified as far as current theory goes presently, it cannot be done, i hope i am proven wrong, but as of now the science doesnt add up, not saying at all that it is not possible, but the time thing gets me every time, its a proven fact, time is relative... but i agree with you, many of these sort of things have been overcome, i hope this one is too

EDIT: and again, not to be johnny raincloud over here, but is anyone familliar with dark energy? its kinda like the anti gravity, physicists and astronomers dont know what it looks like or what it is, but they know how it behaves, it is one of the leading theories as to why galaxies and stars are traveling apart from each other, (perhaps the result of the big bang? i dont know) but unlike any explosion, where all debris reaches a point after explosion and colapses, our universe is still expanding, and the speed of expansion is increasing, this is due to dark energy. dark energy behaves exactly the opposite of gravity, as one increases altitude on earth, G, or acceleration due to gravity decreases and increases as one gets closer to the center, but dark energy behaves like as masses get further and further apart their speed away from each other increases. its happening, read astronomy magazine, or anything online, so if this is proven to be true, hypothetically, if a human were to look up into the heavans at night some millions or billions of years from now, the sky would have barely if any stars and most likely no galaxies to spot, but just some cool info, if we do get out and travel out there we better make it fast, on atleast a galactic time scale...

[edit on 6-12-2007 by MiRRoR_MuSiC]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join