It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Christianity Dying?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by D4rk Kn1ght
Hmmm... I thought the question was asked for us to put our input in...

Turns out its a Christianity bashing thread.

Nasty as usual I see.

State your case?

The thread is about Christianity is losing ground to Islam...The facts are accurate, Look them up.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jim_Kraken
reply to post by luxor311

OK...what statistical failures did the man make? Why is the venerable Pew research group endorsing him?

Its a Christian based organization. Todd Johnson, is the Director for the Study of Global Christianity,he is just telling fellow christians what they may want to hear. The info needs to come from an organization that is not affiliated with any religion whatsoever...just the facts.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by luxor311]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Christianity losing ground truly isn't the issue here... what we're seeing all over the world is just one of many End Times signs that should be a wake-up call to many. Soon, all false-religions will fall and Christ will prevail. The Kingdom will be established.

One Truth

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonna
Christianity losing ground truly isn't the issue here... what we're seeing all over the world is just one of many End Times signs that should be a wake-up call to many. Soon, all false-religions will fall and Christ will prevail. The Kingdom will be established.

Or, not. But really, it'd be great if you guys could hurry up, go off to wherever you think you'll get to go, and leave us with our planet so we can get back to living life and getting things done.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ReginaAdonna

One Truth

Thats faith not fact. Christianity loosing ground to Islam IS the issue here, not bible study.

I supposed that the Jews,Muslims Hindu's and other organized religion around the world may disagree with your statement.

[edit on 2-12-2007 by luxor311]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   
If someone were to ask me to comment on the state of Christianity today, I'd say it is to be bashed, to some degree. It's pitiful, the way people spew out the name of Jesus and then turn around and make material effort to destroy another person, whether by something as simple as gossip/character assassination, or as organized as cause stalking.

The Christ told His followers to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, even as far as to raise the dead, for those on that level. What do we do? Flip each other the bird whilst running one another off the road in a frantic effort to keep anyone at all from getting in front of us on the freeway; looking down the nose at those who don't have as much as we, not dressed as well, or living in low-income housing; drive blindly past hungry children and single, struggling mothers in our luxury automobiles on our way to preach prosperiteh at church; condemn to hell other religions, which the Apostle Paul did not advocate (in fact, he commanded that if at all possible, be at peace with all people); things like that.

We decide which of God's created children He hates, and which ones He loves (of course it's always someone else He hates, never us). And this is after we have declared God unknowable and unsearchable, and use scripture text for backup.

If it sickens me, I know it sickens believers who do put forth the sacrifice (and sometimes it is one) to say or do good when a solid mouthpop would be so much more relieving in the natural.

How much more sickening to a God of love, peace and acceptance? Thank God for Divine Patience.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by luxor311
Thats faith not fact. Christianity loosing ground to Islam IS the issue here, not bible study.

Do you have any sources to cite for your statistics? I know you said you could find them anywhere, but, since you brought it up ... could you post a link or two where the numbers match what you're claiming?

In addition to that, if any religion is on the rise or fall, it'd be interesting to know what the reasons are behind the change in followers. Are they dissatisfied with their religion's views? The way they've responded to world events? Are they subscribing to a different faith or none whatsoever?

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:00 AM
link   
reply to post by luxor311

I don't think you're doing well enough. You're basically assuming the man's wrong just because who he is and you don't provide your own alternative scenario with supporting evidence. Furthermore, you don't address why the Pew Research Center is standing behind him.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptionToChoose
If someone were to ask me to comment on the state of Christianity today, I'd say it is to be bashed, to some degree. It's pitiful, the way people spew out the name of Jesus and then turn around and make material effort to destroy another person, whether by something as simple as gossip/character assassination, or as organized as cause stalking.

The Christ told His followers to feed the hungry, clothe the naked, heal the sick, even as far as to raise the dead, for those on that level. What do we do? Flip each other the bird whilst running one another off the road in a frantic effort to keep anyone at all from getting in front of us on the freeway; looking down the nose at those who don't have as much as we, not dressed as well, or living in low-income housing; drive blindly past hungry children and single, struggling mothers in our luxury automobiles on our way to preach prosperiteh at church; condemn to hell other religions, which the Apostle Paul did not advocate (in fact, he commanded that if at all possible, be at peace with all people); things like that.

We decide which of God's created children He hates, and which ones He loves (of course it's always someone else He hates, never us). And this is after we have declared God unknowable and unsearchable, and use scripture text for backup.

If it sickens me, I know it sickens believers who do put forth the sacrifice (and sometimes it is one) to say or do good when a solid mouthpop would be so much more relieving in the natural.

How much more sickening to a God of love, peace and acceptance? Thank God for Divine Patience.

Back to Bibble oops did I say bibble I meant babble study.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Islam is only growing because of the high birth rates among Muslims. They breed like rats (odd considering their sexually conservative culture). That, and many Islamic countries are still ruled by theocracies.

And Christianity is dying because the Western World doesn't enforce it anymore with theocracies.

Personally, I'd be happy with both religions obliterated. Replacing Islam with Christianity is like replacing Cancer with AIDs.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 01:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OptionToChoose

Wow, very well said. I was going to quote it, but, I'd just be quoting the whole thing and responding to it at the bottom, and I think the ATS peoples frown on that. Anyway, while I don't agree with religion itself, I think your words are commendable and illustrate the hypocrisy that a lot of Christians (and other religious followers as well) exhibit.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I told a Priest, and she laughed in my face, saying God was a concept, a thought, nothing more.

wow... from a Priest?

Hmmm... still trying to get my head around that one.

cheers

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Hmmm... I thought the question was asked for us to put our input in...

Turns out its a Christianity bashing thread.

Nasty as usual I see.

Yes, it is at times frustrating. It has, imo become a waste of time to contribute.

Still, thanks for your imput.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz
Yes, it is at times frustrating. It has, imo become a waste of time to contribute.

Still, thanks for your imput.

I think the title of the thread would indicate that this discussion is somehow going to involve Christianity, possibly in a negative light. However, I don't think Christianity has been bashed in this thread any differently than any other religion, aside from the OP pointing out that it seemed Islam was on the rise, and that one poster's statistics weren't trustworthy.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   
There are many demographic trends going on with regards to Christianity shrinking and Islam growing. As another poster pointed out, birth rates in many muslim countries are larger than Christian countries.

Also in virtually all Christian countries, people are free to practice any religion they choose or no religion at all. In many muslim countries like Iran and Saudi Arabia, the laws discourage or even prohibit the practice or religions other than Islam. This leads to many people practicing Islam as a result of coercison or publicly claiming to be Muslims when surveys are taken. Therefore when one tries to measure the number of Christians in a Christian nation, they will find a significant number of the people are not Christians. If a similar measurement is taken in a Muslim country, one will find virtually everyone is a devout muslim. Whether each person counted as a Muslim truly believes in the faith or really practices is is up for dispute.

As far as Catholicism goes, it is shrinking not just due to its controversial views on issus like birth control or female priests and recent scandals, but because it has competition from other Churches. There are dozens of Christian sects in the U.S. which compete with the Catholic church for membership. While the Catholic church may have lost members who went on to become atheists or non-Christians of other religions, it may have also lost many members to other Christian churches.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I believe that christianity poluation numbers are wrong anyway, I believe most christians were born a christian from their parents, and dont really practise it anyway, they believe in god, but dont practise the religion, so?
Maybe the numbers are correct, but practising christains, I dont think so.

So in my conclusion, Id say there are more christians in the world, but there are more practising muslims than practising christians in the world.

Do all these numbers really matter anyway?

[edit on 2-12-2007 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Islam is now the fastest growing religion (20% worldwide) and grows at a rate of 1.84% While Christianity grows at a rate of only 1.38 %.

you need an oppressive environment and uneducated population for your religion to grow,hence islam is growing fastest at the moment.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan

Islam is now the fastest growing religion (20% worldwide) and grows at a rate of 1.84% While Christianity grows at a rate of only 1.38 %.

you need an oppressive environment and uneducated population for your religion to grow,hence islam is growing fastest at the moment.

No need for comments like this, it wil only lead to off topic arguments.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   
off topic? i quoted the op and this is the religion forum

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by aylyan
off topic? i quoted the op and this is the religion forum

I didnt say it was offtopic, I said it could lead to offtopic arguments.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join