It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High School Musical ZOMBIE

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
this thread is about the brainwashing of our most modern youth culture. if you have ever watched "High School Musical" and been sickened....please read on.

recently, i watched the documentary entitled "The Century of the Self". in the third segment, linked here, you can view how after the Hippy movement of the 1960's and 1970's, manufacturers found it difficult to target their consumer. eventually, the Stanford Research Institute (SRI) was hired to figure out what exactly these rebellious youths were interested in. (more info on the market sub-classes, and the research involved can be seen here: SRI-VALS)

essentially, VALS is the sub-categorization of the self-actualized human being into marketable demographics. the concept is quite sickening, if you will stop to think about it.

but i have seen something new over the past few years:

this image is a snapshot from the movie "High School Musical 2". this is NOT the image of a self-actualized human being.

it reminds me in every way of my younger cousin whom has graduated this last year. my cousin carries around with her a small dog such as this, and is quite obsessed with the same images as are portrayed in this movie. i have come to find the whole thing totally disgusting.

the purpose of this thread is to discover:

1) why is the "Disney Channel" sponsoring these images?

2) are the business elite attempting to circumvent the "self-actualized" models (SRI-VALS), by inventing a NEW sense of self into the youth culture?

3) what are the psycho-analytical models that this new youth culture is based on?

there can be no doubt that these images are created for the sole purpose of marketing, no? the enslavement of the youth?

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
i can answer #1. Disney produced "High School Musical".

i do find it odd how something that seems so obscure to me can instantly become a hit. it almost seems like marketing tells us that something is a huge deal and it becomes one. after all, you don't want to be the only one that is out of the loop, DO YOU?!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:47 PM
link   
having been subjected to both high school musical films (over and over and over again) I don't disagree that the films can be damaging to young minds (and older wallets) but the first film was actually somewhat the opposite of what you are implying.

in the first film, there was a lesson to be learned. That lesson was individuality. The premise of the movie was that kids shouldn't make fun of other kids for liking to sing, cook, etc and that they should all get along with eachother because they are all dealing with the same issues (for the most part).

The second film, which I watched in pieces and with less of an attention span, seems to center on showing that material items and the spoiled brat thing is not something kids should try and emulate.

Sadly, the lesson is lost and the kids seem to want to be like the girl in your image who is actually mocking spoiled rich kids like Paris Hilton.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   
One of the major songs in the first movie was about kids that are only content with the status quo. It really pushed the idea that it is ok, to go against the grain and be an individual. However, the movie continues to attempt to sell kids on the "Disney Dream" and that society is really only interested in the popular kids.

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
i have to admit that i have never seen the first High School Musical film....and i am only half-way through HSM-2. however, i am aware of the manipulative images that Disney has been putting out for forever.

it may be that the first HSM film was supportive of individualism, but does it come across as anything more than the "token" fat-girl, or "token" popular kid?

and, back to the topic of the thread: what is this "token"-ness meant for? to create more shopping mall consumers?

there IS an underlying plan here...

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think a lot of it is pro-homosexual brainwash as the gay interest groups even openly admitted that there were thinly-veiled pro-gay undertones in the second one. Furthermore, look at the cast! One of the male leads is as gay as it gets and the other two have been the targets of gay rumors.

I have no problem with people choosing to be gay, but when Disney puts forth gay role models for our children to emulate, that's not acceptable. Don't try to preprogram people to be gay or straight-let them choose for themselves!

posted on Nov, 26 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim_Kraken

okay then. so WHY do THEY think that a more homosexual male image should be sold to the young?

the point here is that ALL of these images which are being hawked to the young are FALSE. all of them.

the whole Disney HSM image seems to undermine the concept of self-actualization, altogether.

are they trying to re-define culture?!

posted on Dec, 10 2007 @ 01:25 PM
link   
hate these movies with all my heart they are mind melters to me.

also the picture you have, i actually thought it was paris hilton or nicole richy at first until i read your message

posted on Dec, 19 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
My little sister loves these films. I've seen them.

I don't see it as something deep like you guys. I just see it as a terrible film that kids enjoy. I mean, I grew up with tons of films that if I watched right now would be like "ugh!" but, that doesn't mean it was brainwashing material.

I think this goes back to parents and such. Parents are to easy to give in. Also if the child has a sibling, the sibling isn't doing much either. My sister (8) is well rounded and educated. She very much knows the difference in real life and in movies. She also knows what things or messages to pull from those programs.

High School Musical, though brainless, is really not as harmful as you guys make it to be.

posted on Dec, 24 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Well, since Disney has a long history of subliminal messaging in there films, they may very well have it in this one. I'll watch it first though and then draw my conclusions.

Off topic question though that can probably be answered simply and quickly though, "Why do gay men imitate female characteristics (which I've seen in my community)? Shouldn't they become transsexuals then?".

But yeah, I'll watch the movie before drawing a conclusion, I'm good at noticing subliminal advertising. I'm very observant (not while I'm sick like I am now).

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Yeah I know this is an old thread but...wtf.

Well this mind numbing type of entertainment fuels "feel good" happiness while it doesn't really address any deeper parts of personality. Turn your television onto any channel you have either one of two things usually. That is talk shows where everyone is yelling and screaming or you have mindless happiness with no real acting ability. Acting itself is the the epitome of making someone believe you feel a certain way.

I'll address yelling and screaming first. Well first the topics of this yelling and screaming is very targeted. The target is always chosen to get two completely opposite sides to argue. This in turn creates more viewers for or against one side of the argument. The topic usually isn't something one can really discern as completely right or wrong either.

This is the same as the old Jerry Springer Show. At least for a while everyone wishes to tune in to the idiots and disturbed individuals. This gives people the thoughts of , "Oh I wouldn't do that, I'm better than that!"

The mindless happiness part creates a situation where nothing is explored really and life as portrayed on television is sanitized without controversy. People emulate this because they think it is cool or what is new. So, what you see is a sanitized. You have the equivalent of "The Andy Griffith Show" where nothing bad happens and everyone is happy set to music.

This appeals to a broad range of people. Christians would enjoy this because it is sanitized. Gays will like it because it is somewhat happy and musical.
An example for this would be gay clubs. They provide an escape from the reality of the harshness of the world. The dance music makes one forget about everything that goes on and one feels like they could step off the dance floor and onto the moon. This feels good and is good for you!

Than in itself is not bad. It is when one tries to stay in that persona and just strives for it like a a manic stuck on exhilaration. They can be so hooked on that moment they drive around listening to the beat and could run over their neighbor and they would be so engrossed in happiness that it doesn't phase them.

It's not healthy to stay like that. Forbid you tell one of those type of friends something depressing such as a family member has died. You'll get a half hearted sorry then if it is mentioned again you are too lame and depressing to hang out with. A friend of mine calls these people husks as they have no depth and are only shell. They are inanimate objects that move. This of course applies to some women and some gays as they do think somewhat alike. Most straight men wouldn't get this complete happiness bit.

The answers to the question of why some of the people on such things appear to some as gay is this. Some may be gay but it is to keep the rumor going to entice more interaction with the gay community and no doubt they do pick guys that give off that personality but, still maintain the "cleanliness" that the others look for. It is mass marketing to a broader range of young girls and gays. If the guys are considered cute and it's happy... So for a few years the somewhat feminine guy appears in some photos with a beard and in interviews won't discuss his preference. If he is gay of course the females will abandon. If he remains elusive the gays will be more curious.

At least this is my take...sorry to be so late.

[edit on 24/11/08 by toochaos4u]

[edit on 24/11/08 by toochaos4u]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Disney is a marketing tool. They make movies to make money, and usually these movies are made to appeal to tweens, not to teach tweens what is appealing. Our society does that and usually it does a worse job than Disney and its supposed subliminal messages. Kids who are picked on may find a film like High School Musical as a way to get away from the harsh mentality of reality, but when they get to high school things are going to be a lot tougher than High School Musical. Those kids grow up, sometimes their taste in role models gets better, and sometimes it gets worse. That has more to do with the people in their lives and the adult role models around them than Disney characters they once idealized as children. Again, kids buy a crap load of HMS stuff because Disney knows how to appeal to that generation; not because Disney creates what that generation is meant to like- society has already done so for them.

[edit on 24-11-2008 by rapinbatsisaltherage]

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Well if you watched the century of the self bbc documentary, all your questions should be answered.
seriously.

top topics

join