It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Driver Tased For Asking Why He Was Stopped

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
By the mannerisms of this police officer, he was in no way threatened by this guy, your not going to turn you back to some one that you think is threatening.

The womans reaction was normal considering her husband/boyfriend was just attacked by some one.

The police state is here, show your papers, obey the commands of the police to the letter or be tazed, and how dare you question the police.

The militarism of our police is complete, and instances like this have become the norm, not the exception. Our grandmothers our children, and not even joe blow going to wal-mart is safe from the authorities.

Originally posted by Zeta115
1) Rule #1, never ever argue with a cop. If you do, you're going to jail
or else you're gonna get the # kicked out of ya before you get there.

Thank god your no longer a cop. But really this seems to be the mind set of most officers.

2) Be courteous to the officer EVEN if you think he is wrong as that
sort of stuff can be worked out later in court with a lawyer present.

Or be tazed.

3) He did not follow the commands of the officer. He DID have the right
not to sign the citation. But he DID NOT have the right to disobey his
verbal commands for movement no matter what he thought he didn't
do.

Or be tazed.

4) The guy was an asshole in my opinion and got what he deserved.

I rest my case.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:39 PM
link   
theres so many people in the world right now, I won't be surprised when they just shoot you instead of tasing. and half of the people here on ats will be explaining why it's ok, even if it was just a "little wrong."

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
the title should be changed.

he was tasered for refusing to follow instructions, and heading back to his truck.

Utah law stipulates if you refuse to sign the ticket, you can be arrested and have to be bonded out of jail

the officer made mistakes, he should have simply told the kid how fast he was going (even though it was probably on the ticket) , he should have told him refusung to sign the ticket could lead to an arrest, and he should have told him he was being arrested

the kid made mistakes. you don't tell an oficer "we're going back to check the sign", and you don't walk away after being told to put your hands on the cruiser's hood. At that point, the officer must take control. The kid may have a gun under his seat he is going for, he may try to get away and cause an accident, there are a hundred bad things that could happen

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:53 PM
link   
this cop just like 95% of the rest of them think that they are higher forms of human beings than the rest of us..we just have to knock them down to earth every once in a while..its happenin in Philly cops are dropping like flies!

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by KLSyesca
this cop just like 95% of the rest of them think that they are higher forms of human beings than the rest of us..we just have to knock them down to earth every once in a while..its happenin in Philly cops are dropping like flies!

These "higher forms of human beings" for the most part are just lowly state or city employees who in general are little more than extorting tax collectors passing out their traffic tickets. They must be forced to stop violating citizen rights and using their tasers as corporal punishment. Your gun and badge does not impress me, Mr. policeman.

[edit on 11/23/2007 by TheAvenger]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
reply to post by Ausable_Bill

If you are being ARRESTED you have to be read your rights.

If you are just in handcuffs, that does NOT mean you are being arrested. It is to contain/control someone. That is it.

*off to watch the video...back w/ opinions*

uhhhh... He said you are going to jail for disobeying my orders. Get your head out this pigs bottom... I love police... I work in politics... some of my best friends are cops (metropolitan police... you know... worst of the worst) and they would soooooo take this guy drinking and get him popped.
If your a cop and your supporting this Dbag, please do this country a favor and retire now! we don't need more idiots that are powertripping involved in our governance and enforcement.

now to explain why the cop screwed up... ROYALLY... The first is the ONLY questionable mistake... but I have a feeling a judge (or if this dudes lawyer is smart enough) will make it stick.

Number 1... A cop speeding and then pulling you over for speeding (to the extent of stopping to let you pass him) is ENTRAPMENT! most people drive at the pace of the vehicles around them. Especially cop cars. After all who is most likely to follow the rules of the road but the police? Now this officer went out of his way to stop a vehicle moving behind him. EVERY case I have seen with just this occurrence is IMMEDIATELY dismissed.

2) the officer did not state a specific speed when giving the perp his probable cause explanation... The reason a ACTUAL number statement is required is for recording purposes... you see that little camera posts radar on it when they are recording and pacing vehicles... Note not once in the video (bottom right of screen or top left are the normal locations) does the pace/radar speed show up on the film. Why? Sadly I can tell you EXACTLY why... the cop NEVER paced his speed. which makes this an unjustified stop.

Now the driver was Uncooperative, but refusal of signing a ticket DOES NOT make the ticket invalid, this is where the power trip kicks in... Basically the cop thinks "ohh... you won't sign... We'll see when you get back here."

Does anyone else see the cop pull his taser as SOON as the guy gets out of the car at his request? Premeditation anyone?

3)Any time a police officer is about to tase you or mace you they have to say
something to the effect of "i am going to tase you if you do not comply" (which in and of itself is illegal as utilizing near lethal force to get compliance from a citizen is only allowed if the officers life is actually in danger [I'm sick of this 'i felt endangered' argument too... if your a cop... grow the balls to stand toe to toe with an unarmed man. its your job...) if the officer does not state this it shows the LACK of threat in the situation... I mean if your scared your going to use every tactic you are trained to use... I.e. say what you say and shoot... quickly...

4) When you are HANDCUFFED you have to be READ YOUR RIGHTS... if you think I am wrong... MOVE... NOW.... your rights are to inform you that yes 'you are currently detained in the back of a cop car(or handcuffs)... now, heres what we can do and heres what you can do... do you understand?' That is REQUIRED for the departments safety.

away from the lawsuit side of it (the assault charge and the harrassment charges can be brought to IA and this dude is screwed)
Also when the cop tells the GF the perp is fine he even tells her, he WAS under arrest... Logically unless he speaks american english as opposed to the queens english, means the guy was under arrest without being read his Miranda Rights. Which means his case SHOULD be immediately dismissed.

jeez this is disgusting.

ohhh... and I normally am annoyed by alex jones... so for me to agree with him on this says alot.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   
First off, why was the guy out of the vehicle for a minor speeding ticket anyhow?

By the cop saying, going a little fast aren't we, is a very sarcastic remark from that cop. I have been pulled over by a cop a few years ago, and my husband deals with cops yearly due to his job being an OTR truck driver. He has had a couple of tickets one with a LEO just making money for the small town he was passing through. One from a dot officer out to get him, and more than likely fill a quota. None of the officers ever threatened or pulled a taser on him.

In each instance, they stated exactly what we were being pulled over for. One instance I remember is when he was driving us to the in-laws to visit. A cop pulled us over, stood behind the window, and asked if he knew he went through a stop sign. My husband said no, that he was not familiar with the back road we were traveling on, and missed it.

The officer took the license and registration, and pulled up his driving record. The officer said well, I see you have a CMV and a clean record. I know your CMV is your lively hood, so I will just give you a warning this time.

The whole incident on the video was uncalled for. The officer did not ask questions where the driver could make a definite answer. How is one to respond to going a little fast aren't we? That is also the implication of guilty before proven innocent.

If that guy was like me, I would have no clue that I would be arrested if I didn't sign. There are even states in which you don't have to sign a ticket. The officer should have made the man very clear of the law and what could happen. No where have I ever heard until now that an arresting officer doesn't have to read you rights while being arrested. I have known criminals getting off because of that though.

If this is a new law, the law enforcement better make it know to the public before they have other confused citizens telling the officers of their rights. It seems that so many new laws are made any more that the citizenry doesn't know what is or isn't lawful to do anymore.

That officer is very, very, very lucky that the pregnant woman didn't go into a miscarriage, or he would have a highly upset husband on his hands, and would have to deal with delivering a baby. I have a feeling that if he could, he would have tased her.

Someone mentioned that he could have shot her when she walked forward. What if she was walking forward because she went into labor and needed help? She was acting like a normal for being pregnant and in those circumstances.

What in the world was going through the officer's mind letting an hysterical pregnant lady drive? Did he know how far along she was? Some woman are small and can be in their last tri-mester and not look it. Due to the situation she was in, and how she was handling it, how could the officer determine her body would go into per-mature labor or have a miscarriage. That officer doesn't know her medical condition if she has had miscarriages before, or is apt to have a pre-mature birth that could be brought on due to stress.

From the look of her husband, I wonder if he wasn't trying to get back to the car to see if she was all right. My husband would have shoved the officer out of the way if he thought something like that was happening to me while I was pregnant.

The other thing is that the guy might just have been a nervous type. There are those who are prone to panic attacks like my brother in law. He was just hospitalized due to a bad one. A tazer could very well kill him, even though he is a big guy. The panic attack acts like a heart attack, and he is on meds for it.

One more thing, if the officer would have shot and killed the woman. He would be facing two murder charges. One for the mother, and one for the unborn child. There are too many situations in which a tazer is used unnecessarily. I don't care if the cop had a bad day, he got divorced, his wife died recently, his child died recently, his partner died, or he got stuck with a new manager who is an overbearing oaf. That is no excuse to take it out on anyone else through the use of a tazer. For those who just like to use it, they need to be thrown in mental hospitals, and have electro shock therapy.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:35 PM
link   
The funny thing about policemen is that you tend to see them only in negative situations. To the people on here who are calling them names and glorified tax collectors, why don't we try living in a society without them. Would that be easier for us all? The kind of attitude some people are displaying on here towards officers in general is the reason they have to be on guard.

These people are risking their safety EVERY DAY to protect the towns you live in. You think they like getting cussed at, dealing with people who won't listen to simple commands, and attempting to prevent and stop the degenerates of our society from committing crimes against us holier than thou citizens? How many times has a jerk sped past you on the highway and you thought, man i hope some cop pulls that guy over. But when it's you that's the jerk, well then it's the cops fault right? Heaven forbid they ask you to sign your name, that's it, sign your name.

Police officers are not storm troopers, a group of programmed clones running around and harming the citizens. These men and women have spouses, children, friends, hobbies, fears, hopes, all the same things that make you an individual. They wake up everyday knowing that the kind of stuff that is a once and a lifetime event for the rest of us, could happen to them that day...and the next... and the next. How many of you go to work and protect the lives of others? How many of you make that kind of difference by sacrificing part of your safety and wellbeing?

You know, the fact that we live in a society, with a government that provides a police force is not a given. That's not part of human genetics or instinct. It is a service provided by our government. We don't have to worry about our personal safety like some 3rd world country run by factions and guerrilla warfare because individuals in our society decided to make it their everyday lifes work to protect our citizens and enforce our laws at the risk of their safety.

If you want to trash talk this particular cop, then go ahead, you've got a specific case and evidence against it. But this generalized hatred towards police is unwarranted when you only hear about the one who did something bad as opposed to the other 30 nameless faceless cops who do their job well.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by coven

Number 1... A cop speeding and then pulling you over for speeding (to the extent of stopping to let you pass him) is ENTRAPMENT! most people drive at the pace of the vehicles around them. Especially cop cars.

I have to add one more thing I just thought of. The cop car also pulled him over right after the speed sign saying the speed limit was reduced. Add that to the entrapment.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

I'm a little confused, if a cop is speeding it's ok for you to speed? I thought if you were speeding then you were speeding. The cop can't make you press your pedal down more or force you to match his speed. Even if the officer was breaking the law it doesn't mean it's open season for everyone else to do it. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm trying to figure out exactly how entrapment pertains to this situation. Sort of feels like a two wrongs don't make a right.

And what is the law about when to slow down? Should you reduce your speed to 40 before entering the zone or does it allow you to slow down upon passing the sign?

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:01 PM
link   
From what I've read about this story the Police have dropped all charges, apart form the speeding ticket and this is being disputed.

I guess the case was reviewed by some legal dudes and said that the cop made to many mistakes and this won't stand up in court.

Also what the wife did or didn't do is not important as that is hearsay. The courts and Judges work on facts not made up BS.

My 2 dollars worth (allow for inflation)

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:24 PM
link   
athough i think the driver had an attitude the cop did seem pretty quick to tase.

check out this video. it seems to give some good tips although i understand it doesnt go like this in the real world all the time.

video

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
It is not obvious from the cop's perspective that the man and his wife were not threats. How do you know? For all this cop knows he has pulled over drug dealers or violent people.

A person has the right to the assumption of innocence unless evidence provides otherwise.

He was speeding,.. so why not just tag his license with a speeding ticket and mail it to him from the county offended. Dont tell me it cant be done, and this driver's 'bad day' was reason enough to drop him on the pavement.

But if a cop wants to 'worry' about someone being a mass murderer, robber, drug dealer, whatever, then he damn well better have some evidence prior to pulling him over, otherwise its just a stupid speeding ticket. Something that can be mailed to the driver, something that wont 'risk' the ever so paranoid cop, something that wont change lives.

Or on the other hand, EVERYONE is a murdering bank robbing drug dealer and presumed as such,... even if it was just the little light burned out above their tags. (heavy sarcasm applied)

imo

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:32 PM
link   
In the United States they do a psychological evaluation if you apply to become a police officer.

The evaluation is not to be sure that you're safe to put into that position of authority, but to be sure you're just crazy enough to want to push people around and be the frontline of thugs enforcing more draconian laws on the public.

There is a rule that no one with an IQ of 120 or above be allowed to become a cop. This ensures that there aren't any thinking-types in law enforcement. They want them to just follow the orders of their bosses and shut up. Other than that, they're free to terrorize the public almost as much as they want and get away with it.

The personality type I see time and time again in the police is this: short, stupid, insecure man who was bullied as a child, and now gets his kicks by bullying others around. He totes his badge and gun trying to get the world to see him as a bigshot, but whenever someone refuses to rub his ego the right way, he unleashes brutal unreasoning force.

Furthermore, while these people are employed to understand and enforce the law, their ignorance of the law is almost a joke. Most think that a crime is simply anything that pisses them off. Constitutional law is a subject they are ignorant of. They seem to have no respect for rights, and will try and get away with whatever they can in an attempt to feel high and mighty. They go on adrenaline rushes whenever they get in a high speed chase, and are trigger happy when they finally catch someone. They are firm believers in dealing out punishment at the scene of the crime, though are ignorant of the fact that this is the way they behave and it is CRIMINAL.

Now, I know this is not all of them. But just watch COPS for one episode, and the pattern is very clear.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parabol
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

I'm a little confused, if a cop is speeding it's ok for you to speed? I thought if you were speeding then you were speeding. The cop can't make you press your pedal down more or force you to match his speed. Even if the officer was breaking the law it doesn't mean it's open season for everyone else to do it. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, I'm trying to figure out exactly how entrapment pertains to this situation. Sort of feels like a two wrongs don't make a right.

And what is the law about when to slow down? Should you reduce your speed to 40 before entering the zone or does it allow you to slow down upon passing the sign?

Sorry if it wasn't made clear. My problem was that he was going from a 65 mile an hour legal speed limit to a 40 mile an hour work zone. What really seems strange is the officer pulls over just in front of the 40 mile an hour sign, lets the person pass, and then immediately pulls over without checking to see if the speed was actually reduced or not. In that short time period, the driver could have slowed down to 40 miles an hour.

I know break lights came on only when he went to actually stop. If he was driving a shift stick, he wouldn't necessarily have to apply breaks to slow down. A jerk boyfriend taught me that way back when, and almost caused an accident while showing me. We were lucky it wasn't a semi truck behind us, or we would have been killed.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
I'm a little confused. I put this out yesterday! Why is my thread not front page? Am I too new?

[edit on 23/11/07 by Camar]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta115

Hmmm, I have six years in federal law enforcement and I don't agree with the actions of either party in this case. The state says it all, UTAH!

The video shows is what might lead to the officer losing his position and the dumb fool that got tazered breaking up with his gal because he can't take her out because he's half broke paying a ticket he should have not received in the first place. Does anybody really win from all that? No.

I have witnessed briefings where officers are trained more are more aggressively than ever before. I think this is wrong.

The job of the police officer is to diffuse and keep the peace, not to aggravate a situation into something worse.

Just because you see someone with their hands in their pockets, does not mean they are a threat, its all how you interpret other elements of their actions. It might just be breezy out and the man was cold.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Since when did "protect and serve" become "intimidate and torture"?

Are there any more people out there who need proof the US is turning into a Fascist Nation?

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by johnsky
Since when did "protect and serve" become "intimidate and torture"?

Are there any more people out there who need proof the US is turning into a Fascist Nation?

You can show em all the proof ya want the facts to them are this "This is America and that could never happen here"

You can't tell them anything different, ignorance is bliss, until it effects them.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I will begin by saying that I have never been a big fan of law enforcement and police in general, but I think people are awfully quick to judge the actions of these officers when most have no idea what the job is like.

This man must put his safety and his well being first on his list of concerns when making a traffic stop. Pulling someone over, you never know if you are dealing with Bob the harmless accountant or Bob the gun weilding psychopath. You have to make life and death decisions in an instant, all while maintaining police protocol and being professional.

I say take a moment and walk in the shoes of the average police officer in uniform. They deal with the scum of the earth all day, every day, so that WE do not have to. They see brutal rapes, murders, suicides, horrific traffic accidents, they are peace keepers during deadly domestic violence situations, at the same time being counselors, therapists and in some case mental health professionals.

They catch nothing but hate and barking criticism from citizens and criminals alike. A cop can save twenty lives, rescue a choking baby, arrest crack dealer after crack dealer, basically risk their lives for their communities every single day....then when they do one thing out of step, they are labeled as storm troopers and nazis and corrupt etc etc. Please keep in mind the amount of danger they are confronted with every day.

These police officers are human beings, people just like you and I, and they are the only line of defense standing between you and the parasites out there who would choose to take your life or property or worse. They are human beings doing a dangerous, super high stress, low paying, thankless job that most of us couldn't or wouldn't do.

I will admit that there are some bad cops out there, but any profession has it's share of dirt bags. The percentage of bad cops is extremely low in comparison to the good ones who do things the right way. Unfortunately the bad ones get all of the press because garbage sells.

It is easy to sit and cast judgement on these men and women while sitting comfortably and safely in your home....but the only reason you have the ability to do any of it is because these brave folks wake up every day and go out and sacrifice and do what they have to do to keep our society safe.

One day you may need one of these "pigs" to help you when you are in a life and death situation...hopefully you will appreciate it then

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join