It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

VIDEO: Driver Tased For Asking Why He Was Stopped

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Lately I've seen a lack of physical force and immediate turn to the tazer by law enforcement. Instead of grappling the guy and use the skills and strength an officer has, he may just go straight to the taser.

Now i understand that the taser is used to reduce fatalities but you also rack up a lot more legal action and police brutality cases. There are also people who die from the effects of a taser.

The taser has become a shoot first ask questions later tool with no regard to the person being tased whether elderly, woman, or teen. In certain calm situations a taser is not necessary but is wrongly used. Now I believe officers will be trained to use the taser only.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinhatman

If that guy (that was pulled over) didn't act like an ignoramus and just used a little logic, he would have saved himself the the tazing, the public spotlight and BS and the charges would have been dismissed anyway. Any judge watching that tape would have came to the same conclusion.

[edit on 033030p://upSaturday by QuasiShaman]

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by QuasiShaman

We hired these crazed lunatics who terrorize civilians, we should pay the damages when they go nuts like this one. Don't want to have Psyco cops getting sued? Petition your government for changes in their training. I write the city of Orlando whenever we get a story like this, though it happens here seldomly (that the news informs us of anyway, who knows the truth). A few years ago after some tazer issues Sheriff Kevin Beary changed the tazer use regulations for Orange County Sheriffs and there has not been a story like this in awhile. As long as the citizenry stays vigilante we can avert any violence and keep all change peaceful.

This cop seriously jumped the gun though. When he pulled the tazer on Massey it was clear that he was scared out of his wits, completely out of line. Thats why the cop lied about what really happened.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by QuasiShaman

It's funny, in the same post you blame the guy that get's tazed and then state that any judge that views the tape would drop the charges anyway. Think about that..

Edited because my use of the language failed me.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by Tinhatman]

Also, do not get me wrong. This guy Massey did not handle this situation in an intelligent manner. He certainly could have made better decisions.

BUT!!!!!!

The cop is th eone with the Guns and the Tazer and the Body Armor and the Reinforcements. With power comes responsibility.

Second edit to add content so I just dont sound liek I am flaming out on the cop.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by Tinhatman]

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:58 PM
link   
May be the officers are some what aware and beware due to the fact that officers on traffic stops get shot.

For all those thinking that the officers should be getting shot for their actions it could be the officers are aware of that line of thinking. Not every officer that is shot is a jerk.

The taser seems at bit much without trying to secure the person by other means first. I suppose the woman could have exited with a bat or gun if that action was taken though. Emotions can cause some unusual actions in people.

To bad the world's situations aren't perfect. Now if everyone quit breaking the law......

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by roadgravel

If they only stopped writing so many bad laws, it'd be easier not to break them.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
so basically what people are saying is its alright to electrocute someone if they dont obey the exact commands of a police officer in an incident of a speeding ticket!?.

when did this acceptance occur?,is it because fear?,have we been brutalised that much!?.

police are nowones masters,they are there as protectors of the public.

maybe you should get it over with and announce your longing for a police state.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Can you give an example of a bad law?

What is being enforced that shouldn't be?

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The only thing he had to do to avoid being tazed was to not walk away from the officer with his hands in his pockets after repeated commands.

That is it.

Say what you want about everything else in this situation, but the driver could have avoided being tazed had he simply stood still. That is the power of choice that we all have and he made a poor choice for no reason. Was the guy just going to get back in his car and drive away? What was he doing, he saw the tazer drawn to him. He even said he thought it was a gun at first, but he kept walking away???? I'm not defending the cop or even addressing him, the driver was dumb for walking away with his hands in his pocket.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The police is probably trained to use tasers as the weapon of choice whenever someone doesnt do what they are told immediately.

I think there is a growing lack of compassion in the US today. If you get hurt or killed by the police, it must be the guy it happened to that made it happen. Thats a strange reasoning to me, considering that police should be trained to deal with people without hurting them. Otherwise anyone can be a police officer without training. You just need a uniform and a taser.

I dont know... like Ive said in other threads, the cops in the US seems lethal and I wouldnt trust them to handle any situation where I depend on their judgement to make sure people dont get hurt.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by Copernicus]

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Thats because they are both to blame.

The guy pulled over acted a fool! The cop acted over the top.

This is off topic kinda, but the kid who got tazed in FL., everyone one was all concentrating on whether the kid should have been tazed or were the cops in the wrong. And people and the media seem to completely overlook the questions he was asking of Kerry. Did 2 Skull and Bonesmen (who swore allegiance of oath to a secret society before swearing a oath to public office) conspire to throw the election? Was the whole election a fraud? Why didn't Kerry contest it? Sorry, I just getting frustrated with people asking the wrong questions.

[edit on 053030p://upSaturday by QuasiShaman]

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I'm just wondering if cops have the right to walk up and open somebody's car door. He does this several times in the video and it seems to me that cops shouldn't have that right. If anybody knows if they do have this right please post.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

it must be time for sylvester stallon to make another rambo movie ?hitchhiking and the police chief comes along doesnt like his looks and so tazers him only to find out that rambo goes nuts and destroys the chiefs town? sounds like a plot that could make some money for hollywood judging by the emotions stirred up here.its a terrible thing when there's so many bad cops you end up sympathizing with the bad guys.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

His lawyer is technically correct. As a practical matter if the arrested one makes any incriminating statements after arrest w/o miranda warnings these statements are not admissible.

Policeman, dept. will probably be sued and settle out of court. Looks like 200-500k insurance settlement. Policeman will be reassigned or dismissed.

The policeman's conduct is not extreme enough to result in criminal charges.

[edit on 24-11-2007 by pc is here]

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   
If the officer would have followed proper procedure, followed the departments own code of conduct by giving a warning, IMO this would not have gone to the point of tazing.

My brother[who is not a member here] responded after watching the video:

Man, it's crazy how if you even ask for an explanation you're all of a sudden not obeying or threatening an officer. Most people can't get past the initial shock of having a gun/taser pulled on them that they aren't given enough time to understand what's happening before they are tased. I hope this guy gets a lot of money for this deliberate abuse of power. It would have been different if the guy had pulled a knife or something. He didn't agree with the officer's assessment of his speed. I don't believe you're required to sign the ticket unless you're given a complete explanation of the citation. In the video, it looks like the vehicle is slowing as it passes the 40 MPH speed limit, but there are no brake lights. So he probably was letting off the gas. Interesting how all charges were dropped except the speeding ticket. This is why the second amendment is so important. Not so we can have guns to hunt, but so that we can protect ourselves from a fascist government. Most people don't understand that, though. Either that or they would rather be controlled by the government instead of being a freedom fighter--it's definitely the easy way out. But allowing yourself to be oppressed has always been easy. Standing up and fighting for your God-given rights has always been bloody.

Ill-treatment in jails and police custody

There were reports of ill-treatment of suspects in jails and police custody, involving abusive use of restraints and electro-shock weapons. More than 70 people died after being shocked with tasers (dart-firing electro-shock weapons), bringing to more than 230 the number of such deaths since 2001.

In June the Justice Department announced that a two-year study of taser deaths would be undertaken by the National Institute of Justice. Meanwhile many police departments continued to use tasers in situations that fell far below any threat of deadly force. The UN Committee against Torture called on the USA to deploy tasers only as a non-lethal alternative to using firearms.
230 taser related deaths since 2001

We need to get rid of these tazers, they are portable electric chair's, the police are turning into the judge, jury, and executioner, sometimes for minor offenses.

Training does not seem to help. when they are used like so many have been, against women in wheelchairs, kids at school, and the list seems to grow everyday.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
so basically what people are saying is its alright to electrocute someone if they dont obey the exact commands of a police officer in an incident of a speeding ticket!?.

when did this acceptance occur?,is it because fear?,have we been brutalised that much!?.

police are nowones masters,they are there as protectors of the public.

maybe you should get it over with and announce your longing for a police state.

We should cooperate with the men and women of law enforcement, but we should be given the same respect in return. A huge issue I have with this situation is that the officer was very vague.

"Turn around"

The guy obviously turns around but doesn't know how far, where to go, where to turn around to. He went from facing the police car to facing his minivan after the command "turn around" was given. The poor guy turns around asking questions and subsequently gets tased for it. This is where the acts become "unjustified," because he was more or less tased for not knowing what to do, rather than not following commands given by the policeman.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I watched the video several times. and i hear in the viedeo(i think) the cops sais you were going a little fast there, and the guy sais only 58, and the cop sais the sign sais 40.

after the driver refuses to sign the ticket and asks to go see the sign, the officer sais to get out of the vehicle, as the officer rushes to his car to put down his pappers and emediatly pulls out his taser on the guy just as he approshes the cop car, when the driver notices the officer is pointing the taser at him he thinks the cop has lost his mind.

well i do too the cop was insane to do this and treats the taser weapon as a toy... these are weapons deadly or not, and since many have died from a taser, i too would be walking away from the nut case cop as i would be afraid the cop uses it on me as a toy when i have know idea what the affects it will have on me... "will i die from this" would have crossed my mind.

i think that cops see the taser as a toy and not a weapon that could kill somone. had this cop pulled out his gun instead do you think the cop would be crazy had he shot the guy? i see it no diffrent.

the taser is meant to subdue somoen who is resisting and poses a threat the officer. at no time was the officer in any danger other than the danger he created for himself.

All in all, the officer was more than capable of handleing the situation in a more civil manner. do you really think this officers only choice was to taser a person for doing 18 mph over the speed limit? just give him the ticket(signed or not) it's on video that he was issued the ticket.

I agree the driver was an idiot, but in know way deserved to have his life threatened by a cop eager to play "russiaan rulet" with a another person life. the cop thinks its a toy but when your standing on the other end of that taser you see it as a potentialy deadly weapon and you have know idea whether you will die or not, and niether does the cop for that matter.

This just another bad cop doing a bad thing, this cop should be punnished hard and just.

its allmost like standing down the barrel of a loaded gun with a child holding the gun... the child thinks its a toy but it isnt.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpaceBits

well i do too the cop was insane to do this and treats the taser weapon as a toy... these are weapons deadly or not, and since many have died from a taser, i too would be walking away from the nut case cop as i would be afraid the cop uses it on me as a toy when i have know idea what the affects it will have on me... "will i die from this" would have crossed my mind.

Let me get this straight... if someone is pointing a weapon at you, which you deem deadly, you would continue walking away from a "nut case" holding the weapon while thinking that you might die. This is how you would treat your life?

i think that cops see the taser as a toy and not a weapon that could kill somone. had this cop pulled out his gun instead do you think the cop would be crazy had he shot the guy? i see it no diffrent.

Yes the tazer has killed people, but how many of them had preexisting heart conditions or other medical ailments? The lethality of a tazer is much much less than a firearm, I don't see how you can say they are the same. And yes the cop would have been crazy to use his firearm because deadly force wasn't required. Tazers are meant to temporarily immobilize a person, did you notice how quickly the man was talking and able to move around and raise his head? No bullet to be extracted, no bleeding, no damage to surrounding tissue. Yes tazers can kill, i believe 260 is the most recent figure for number of deaths since 2001. Why don't you compare that statistic to the number of firearm related deaths, or rather the ratio of times used to number of deaths incurred.

All in all, the officer was more than capable of handleing the situation in a more civil manner. do you really think this officers only choice was to taser a person for doing 18 mph over the speed limit? just give him the ticket(signed or not) it's on video that he was issued the ticket.

He was not tazed because he was a speeder, that's ridiculous. He was tazed because he disobeyed simple commands to turn around while he walked back to his car with his hands in his pockets. Which could mean the person is attempting to get away or reaching for a weapon. That is a threat to the officers safety. What other good reason would the driver have to do that, besides not being very smart?

I agree the driver was an idiot, but in know way deserved to have his life threatened by a cop eager to play "russiaan rulet" with a another person life. the cop thinks its a toy but when your standing on the other end of that taser you see it as a potentialy deadly weapon and you have know idea whether you will die or not, and niether does the cop for that matter.

It is not russian roulette, you are far overestimating the lethality of a tazer. I know you probably did not literally mean a 1 in 6 chance, but it's much lower than that. And also, some of these deaths are the police officers fault not the tazers. In a situation where someone is tazed multiple times it could become deadly, but that is a case where the officer misused it. It's like taking muscle relaxers, they are relatively fine if you use them correctly but overdo it and your heart might be the next thing to relax. We need to be able to discern when the tazer is at fault and when the officer is at fault.

Tazer article

Taser stun guns issued to police forces across the country have been declared broadly safe, following the largest independent study of injuries inflicted by the weapons.

A medical review of nearly 1,000 cases in which the controversial weapons were fired found that 99.7% of those hit were either unharmed or suffered only mild injuries, such as scrapes and bruises.

The majority of injuries were small skin punctures caused by metal darts fired from the guns.

But the study suggests there is a strong link between those more seriously injured and the number of times they are shocked by a Taser. The weapons incapacitate their targets with a 50,000-volt electric shock.

The guns are set to deliver a five-second shock before resetting, but in some cases officers have discharged them repeatedly to subdue people.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Zeta115

I've got to agree with Zeta. Darned near point-by-point.
And as far as the warning goes, I'd thing that having a taser aimed at you is plenty of warning that you might be about to be tased.

posted on Nov, 24 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Parabol

i can say definatly "yes" as i posted earlier i was arrested for possesion and had about 12 officers all pointing loaded guns at me and 2 others with me. yes i was scared and yes i was moving around a bit. want to know what was going on in my mind at the time?

When somone is holding a weapon to you and you have know idea who that person is or what there frame of mind is, cop or not, the only thing your thinking is "are they going to shoot me?", "am i going to be killed by someone that makes a mistake?", "what about a miss-understanding?", ect.. ect.. about a million little things like that run through your mind when your life is threatened. so no, you dont think allot about what your doing and human instincs tells us to move out of harms way.

the police told me several times to stop moving around, but it didnt click in right away because i was in a sort of state of shock, where i was minding my own, then all the sudden 12 guns on me and my life is in danger. at the time i didnt know why they had there guns on me. for all i know they could have though i was a mass murder or something. average citizens dont expect the police to pull a gun on them, instead there frame of mind is more were police only use violence on violent people.

this guy whent from driving with his family to bieng tazered and arrested all for bieng an idiot? sorry but i still think this cop used execive force.
and put this citizen in an unnessasary risk of danger.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join