It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town to vote on online harassment after girl's MySpace suicide

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
If they do I hope the other family files a counter suit for harassment.

This was suicide. The only wrongful death case here is on the parents.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

Punish the verbal assaulter. If they said for her to kill herself repeatedly, they should be charged with murder. If not, then maybe a few years in jail. Damn punks who think they rule other's lives must pay with equal amount of years taken from theirs.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
So - has there been any word on the town vote yet?

Just curious.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
So - has there been any word on the town vote yet?

Just curious.

Did you really think they would not?

DARDENNE PRAIRIE, Mo. (AP) -- City officials in Dardenne Prairie passed a measure Wednesday night that makes online harassment a crime.
Dardenne Prairie Passes Internet Safety Measure

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Aren't these hate crimes?
I mean , if someone mentally harasses someone because they are young and vulnerable, that spells 'hate crime' to me.
May God bless her family,......

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Who's caring?
In my lifetime (I'm 63) draft-laws in this country gave athletics to students who could pass academically into college. They were also given the option of draft-deferrment. Boys who couldn't attain college-level were not given athletics, but were draftable. Just saw an article on TV that the technical capacity of the US defense establishment has been seen by enemies as a reason to use guerilla tactics, particularly mentioning face to face confrontation in cities. Some American athletics are close to preparing a boy (and now girls) for close, face to face conflict in urban environments.
Expecting everyone to attain college level ability, but not expecting those most prepared for in-close combat to accept the draft in the national-interest, to me, is one stark example of the pschiatric-hypocracy that drives our society. And bitching that Americans don't want to work in minimum-wage jobs places a vacuum in my mind that is filled with illegal immigrants, and stories of homeless war veterans that are said to come from the lower classes. What college level individual wants to climb into the millions? of jobs that are now held by illegal workers?
I saw a public-service announcement on TV that stated that---'...getting good grades makes you sexy.'
Looks like sex and privelege should be the the drive for national accomplishment?
It's been stated that industrial contamination may be causing boys to "mature" sexually at an earlier age. Didn't I just read that consensual minors can now be charged with a major sex/moral crime?
Some psychopathic murderers were respectably prodigious. Can't a society be equally so?
Anecdotally, a teacher aquaintance said kids (children) are pushed too hard. Do parents make laws, or do leaders make laws?
In the Bible, I read that he who hates his brothewr/sister is a murderer.
Public records indicate that verbal harrasment in schools has precipitated some horrific scenarios. I read recently that race isn't a problem in this country, it's a class problem. And there's evidence for it.
It was written it would be brother against brother, family members against one another, neighbor against neighbor, province, nation, etc., etc., and somehow we have been said to have 'family-values'.

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Spawwwn

WOW. . .

" And what great big racist comments you have there grandma. . .", states little red riding hood.

So I guess that it would also be O.K. with you for pedophiles to try & lure 13 year old girls like this into meeting them? ( And don't even think about telling your parents little girl because I will kill them. . . )

Oh I'm sorry- I meant to say as long as they were white 13 year old girls because they should know better.

2PacSade-

bad sentence

[edit on 23-11-2007 by 2PacSade]

posted on Nov, 23 2007 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime
I suggest that many of you read up on Clinical Depression so you can have a grasp of what you are discussing. en.wikipedia.org...

so reading a wiki entry provides more understanding? does clinical depression = suicide? No.

posted on Nov, 25 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
so reading a wiki entry provides more understanding? does clinical depression = suicide? No.

Yes, it does provide more understanding. There is a lot of good information to get you started on that site including many other links and references, including books, authors and websites to follow up on. Never said it should be your only source, it is a starting point. I also do not believe that anyone said that clinical depression equals suicide. However, suicide is a major risk factor of clinical depression.

[edit on 26-11-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 05:20 AM
link   
*UPDATE*

(KSDK) - Monday, St. Charles County Prosecutor Jack Banas addressed the media in St. Charles, and the media around the world, when he announced there will be no charges filed in the MySpace suicide case of Megan Meier.

Banas said there are no charges that could be applied under current law. He also said, "I think you have a lot of facts that have gone out across this country that are a misstatement of facts."

According to Banas, the fake MySpace page was not created by the mother of one of Megan's friends who she had a falling out with. The fake MySpace page was actually created by an 18-year-old employee of that mother, though the mother knew about the page.
No Charges In MySpace Suicide Case

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Some interesting twists to the story anyway.

[edit on 4-12-2007 by LDragonFire]

apc

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:45 AM
link   

When Megan Meier's mother came home, she found Megan crying at her computer. Mrs. Meier looked at the conversation, and told Megan not to use such language, said Banas. He also said that Megan then told her mother that she couldn't believe her mother was taking "their side." Megan then ran upstairs. A short time later, she had killed herself.

Thereby completely releasing the hoaxers of any shred of concocted liability and placing it solely on the parents.

Then again, it was always on the parents.

posted on Dec, 4 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
it's called suicide because you do it to yourself, no one forces that on you. No one is responsible for her death, but her.

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2007 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmTetsuo
Blame the parents? Why not blame the schools instead? Many of them are uncaring ghettos for children, suicide factories even. And how come it is always the smart and sensitive children who kill themselves and not the dumb mean destructive bastards who deserve to die?

I think it has to do with society, american society in particular. America is the most superficial nation on the face of the planet. Just look at all the reality TV shows...and the "instant fame" that comes to used to be "average joes". Anyone can become a celebrity in the US nowadays, which isnt saying much about the once famous super stardom that took place in the US.

I heard about this story a while back, and it is truly sad. The parents should shoulder some of the blame. They knew the girl was mentally unstable. They should have kept a closer eye on her.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by dionysius9
If this girl had a family support structure that provided her with the love and security every human being needs, then nothing said to her by anyone online would have meant anything important to her.

Wrong. This girl was IN LOVE with a false entity.
Her world was this person, just like any teenager who falls in love.
Her parents did their best with this girl and monitored her online life,
they just happened to have to run out for an emergency just when
this girl met her fate.

What she experienced was not just the wicked adults deception, but group attack.
Teens can't deal with this well at all, they need group acceptance, and its what ALWAYS gets them into some kind of trouble, gangs, drugs, crime, sex, etc.
Peer pressure.

However a local law to prevent this isn't going to work.
Unless they use it retroactively to convict the guilty.
Its not like this activity is going to become a weekly nuisance in the town.

A more effective approach would to legalize sweet revenge, allowing anyone who feels hurt by this incident to give a little something back to the people who caused it.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Legalizer

As sad as this case was, vigilantism isnt the answer. Allowing any Tom, Dick, and Harry to exact their revenge on this family will only hurt more people in the long run. And when those people are hurt, does not the same offer of vigilanty justice extend to them? It would become a tit for tat battle leading to all-out lawlessness.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:16 PM
link   
So what's the point of passing a local law in reference to a world-wide media?

Said law would be worthless if one were harassed by someone from a different country or even a different state. Is it the harasser or the harassee who needs to live within the area of affect of said local law?

I guess it might keep the neighbor from harassing, but more likely it would just cause the neighbor to continue harassment via an out of jurisdiction third party.

I think it's a knee-jerk reaction to try and pass new laws to cover every tragedy that happens, compliments of our present society.

Of course, as soon as we decide we have enough laws, the law makers are all out of a job.
As much as I would love to see former Senators and Congressmen asking "Paper or plastic"? or "Do you want fries with that"? it's never going to happen due to the next tragedy that gets folks screaming for a new law.

posted on Dec, 26 2007 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Suicide = her own fault, period.

If it diddnt happen then, it would of happened a few months down the line when a real guy broker her heart - it happens, life happens, get over it and move on.

Anyone remember the old saying, "sticks and stones..."?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join