It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town to vote on online harassment after girl's MySpace suicide

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I am not trying to pick a fight with you because this no about you but the article.

I raised two children into adulthood, yes they had problems and guess what, I was there when I saw signs of trouble, I was there when they needed help, counseling (yes one of them had to see a psychologist) and yes I supported them, cried with them, laughed with them and was there to make sure they made it.

That was my responsibility as a parent.

I help made them the young man and woman they are today and I am proud of them.

So yes I still blame the parents.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I am not trying to pick a fight with you because this no about you but the article.

Agreed.

I raised two children into adulthood, yes they had problems and guess what, I was there when I saw signs of trouble, I was there when they needed help, counseling (yes one of them had to see a psychologist) and yes I supported them, cried with them, laughed with them and was there to make sure they made it.

Do you take responsibility for mistakes they made both as children, teenagers and as adults?

That was my responsibility as a parent.

I help made them the young man and woman they are today and I am proud of them.

So yes I still blame the parents.

From some one that attempted suicide, and while hallucinating Big time!, with a doctor snapping his finger so my eyes would focus, waving a piece of paper in his hands, stating that according to that piece of paper, I SHOULD BE DEAD, but wasn't. Nobody saw it coming, and other than a doctor it's the first time I have mentioned it!!

Teen Suicide Cannot Always be Prevented
Teen suicide may come with no warnings signs or warning signs may be missed and intent misjudged. Experts in the field can find it difficult to judge a person's mental state, so it is no surprise that parents and friends do not recognize warning signs and take the right steps to try to prevent teen suicide.
Teenage Suicide

Wish we had more perfect parents in the world, 2 out of 3 of my kids have emotional disorders, we have tried medication, and no medication. We can only hope to teach them to be responsible for there own actions, to respect themselves as well as others...

But in the end, we can't control what they think or feel, and if they think they can't live for another moment, or feel they can't bear to face another day I know for a fact there is nothing anyone can do about it. I for some reason, am Living proof of that.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by LDragonFire]

[edit on 21-11-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:18 AM
link   
If she committed suicide due to the internet harrassment, I'd have to say.

"Silly, silly girl".

Both boys and girls, depending on their personality, can have a incredible ''hard'' time to fit in, one even committed suicide due to his Runescape account being hacked.

And one girl committed suicide because she failed to finish a SNES Bomberman game.

Whose to blame, the girl and boy for being silly? Or the hacker and the CREATOR of a game, for doing an ''illegal act'' and creating a ''game that was too hard'', respectively?

Internet cases are usually silly as hell.

Luckily, I've been one of those people that never really had any problems, and doesn't really care.

However, though it's not nice that the adult harrassed her, she's still silly if she took any of it to word, as they said, the guy didn't even EXIST.

But maybe it's just me, and my view of the internets and life.

If people go this far because they want to be accepted / respected THAT much, they're not even worth it imo.

Don't think I'm totally emotionless though, there's a kid at my school that acts quite tough and ''cool''. Sometimes I think I should just pick him up with one hand, for fun, and show him that he's not "boss", nor ''cool''.

[edit on 21/11/07 by -0mega-]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Any parent stupid enough to let their child roam free on the Internet, especially MySpace where EVERYBODY knows what happens to children on there, deserves to have their child's bloody corpse handed to them in a pine box.

Ouch. thats one hardline opinion you got there.

I agree there was a complete lack of oversight on the parents side, they should have known what was going on with their kids online activities. But there is another party who maliciously pushed this girl over the edge, they share equal responisbility.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by -0mega-
If she committed suicide due to the internet harrassment, I'd have to say.

"Silly, silly girl".

No more sillier, or less tragic, than the boy who committed suicide over the cancellation of "Battlestar Galactica" in the late 1970s.

Both boys and girls, depending on their personality, can have a incredible ''hard'' time to fit in, one even committed suicide due to his Runescape account being hacked.

Why should they have to fit in?
There is something terribly wrong with society if it doesn't let its children develop true self-esteem, and encourages - no, forces them to be so dependent on the approval of others!

All in the name of "socialization".
Bee-hive communism is more like it.

And one girl committed suicide because she failed to finish a SNES Bomberman game.

Whose to blame, the girl and boy for being silly? Or the hacker and the CREATOR of a game, for doing an ''illegal act'' and creating a ''game that was too hard'', respectively?

Society is to be blamed, mostly. Of course the girl and boy were silly, but they weren't dangerously silly. Sure, they took their own lives, but everyone has the right to do that. Did they harm others? Did they make the lives of others hell just to be on the top of the social heap? And what of the parents, Also so brainwashed by society they could never see anything wrong.

Luckily, I've been one of those people that never really had any problems, and doesn't really care.

And I am one who escaped the trap laid out by society, parents, school, and church after having real big problems caued by them. And I find it uplifting to see that some parents have dropped out of the social rat-race and have made alternative arrangements for their kids such as homeschooling or alternative schooling.

However, though it's not nice that the adult harrassed her, she's still silly if she took any of it to word, as they said, the guy didn't even EXIST.

He did to her.

But maybe it's just me, and my view of the internets and life.

If people go this far because they want to be accepted / respected THAT much, they're not even worth it imo.

Don't think I'm totally emotionless though, there's a kid at my school that acts quite tough and ''cool''. Sometimes I think I should just pick him up with one hand, for fun, and show him that he's not "boss", nor ''cool''.

Again, that's society for producing such psychic vampires, and having such a hypocritical morality that idolizes such scum as great leaders while persecuting more evolved beings for their creativity.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
So someone calls her a bad person online and she commits suicide? I think the problem lies much deeper than a person insulting her on the internet.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

My son had a hard time from age 13 to 16, he turned from the most loving and adorable littler boy always hanging from my skirts to a boy that will scream at the top of his lungs how much he hated me.

It was not my daughter the one with the teen problems but my littler baby boy.

Yes I stopped working and took all my love and attention to make sure that I was doing everything I could to help him make it hrough this troublesome times and the medication he had to take.

What did I got from all that? the realization that I did something to help and not I am not a super parent, I was just a concern and loving parent.

We bring this children to the world we have a responsibility to them.

Yes I got sick after it was over with all the stress, because the high chances of him becoming suicidal.

I end up having major surgery as the stress attacked part of my body.

Life is not easy we all have our own personal experiences and all we can do is make it better and learn from it.

Sorry you had a hard time in you life also.

apc

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Well, it's not that I hope the child suffers such a fate. But the parents would be asking for it. The same as if they knowingly let their child play with fire. If the house burns down, the parents had it coming.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Hearing something bad is almost a daily occurrence with myspace. IMO it's a cesspool filled with stalkers, pedophiles and plastic, shallow people. Don't tell me about the rest of the internet as that site is a one stop shop for almost everything that's wrong with society today and kids are drawn there like it's a magnet.

I will never have a page there nor will any of my children. I'm sure the younger members will disagree with me but then again it wouldn't be the first time.

By the way, IMO it is the parents (in most cases) that mold young monsters to destroy the fragile self worth of others so that they too can avoid looking into the mirror. I was fairly popular as a kid but I never, ever treated weaker or less popular children with anything but respect and I didn't care what my "friends" thought or what it cost me in terms of status.

I'm not going to go any further than that but I could go on and on about the societal degradation that seems to be on the rise. Nuff said!

[edit on 21-11-2007 by jbondo]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Thanks for clarifying. It was just such an "in your face" comment I wasnt sure what context to interpret it in.

Edit: This is not a one line post...

[edit on 21-11-2007 by InSpiteOf]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The thing is, we seem to act differntly depending on our perception of the crime. If an adult even touches an underage person inappropriately, we demand he (and sometimes she) do jail time, register as a sex offender, and be watched for the rest of their days. Locally, people often profess a desire to kill these people or put them away permanently. They are regarded as absolute scum.

In his case you have a situation where adults conspired to set up this girl. They created a false personality, lured her with sweetness and light, something the mother agreed after looking seemed okay. They set the hook, and THEN they turned on her viciously. In other words, this was not a case where teens got into an argument and wound up calling each other names. This was an adult-led intentional pre-meditated set-up to 'get' this particular girl in a situation where the adults knew the girl and knew of her vulnerability. These people wound up destroying the family entirely. (The parents are divorcing.)

Blaming the parents in this case is very similar to blaming a woman for rape because she wore alluring clothes. I don't think a 'local law' is going to do much good here, but it does express the sentiment of a town that is trying to grapple with this horrible deed. I hope the adults can be brought to task on this in the courts. They certainly deserve to be ostracized as much or more than a pedophile who preys on kids. There certainly isn't much difference.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Any parent stupid enough to let their child roam free on the Internet, especially MySpace where EVERYBODY knows what happens to children on there, deserves to have their child's bloody corpse handed to them in a pine box.

deserves??? no one DESERVES to have their own child dead NO ONE.. thats just seriously messed up. true they could have kept a closer eye on her myspace but she could still check her ms account at the library or friends house..kids always find a way

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
C'mon people. . .This girl was still a baby! How the hell can she be expected to act rationally & not be in agony over this charade? Kids that age are just learning how to wear a thick skin.

The adult neighbor was torturing her mentally. She should be held accountable for her actions. She did this on purpose, and her actions caused an impressionable young girl to commit suicide. DSS should have her own kids taken away!

I would choke the life out of anyone that did something like this to one of my kids. I'm actually kinda sad I read this thread because it's just another example of how evil some people can be. . .

SICK!

2PacSade-

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
this is such bullsnip this girl had mental issues.If she commited suicide over emails froma fake boy.She was going to kill herself from a bee she killed or an ant she stepped on. this is just survival of the fittest.

she obviously had many issues prob from her parents.In the news interview her mother said she stood over her shoulder when she was on the internet.I'd commit suicide if someone was watching me like that to lols.

Anyways this the parents fault not some fake emails.

She fell in love with a 16 yr old fake boy named josh.

Shes 13 what is she doin trying to date a 16 yr old.

Clearly Josh is a pedophile right?

Ive met girls online I liked but lived in other states yes she was cute and had a great personailty but im not gonna cry cause she lived 3000 miles away.

O no i just got a bad email from lucy my INET girlfriend she said im ugly and my feet smell. I must go commit suicide these text letters are just so harsh i must kill myself.

the girl was a wack a doodle plain and simple.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by Bushwacked]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I would have to disagree with the blame the parents for everything attitude. I work a bit in psychology. It is not always the parents fault when a child or an adult kills themselves. Depression is a clinical disease. It can't be treated with a good environment or lots of love, which is the mistake that many families make. It is a chemical imbalance. There are many different levels of depression. Everyone on the planet will experience various levels of depression throughout their life. Most people will come out of their depression, but some people are unable to escape it because in them the depression is a disorder. Not even drugs will help all patients.

Clinical depression is a serious illness. I believe that the people who intentionally plotted against this girl are liable for her death and should be held accountable - whether that is in a criminal and/or civil court of law.

I also believe that many internet bloggers have outted the family responsible, posting their names, address, and phone numbers, so that internet users can taunt and shame them. I wonder how they are liking it so far? Eye for an eye I guess.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Bushwacked

Just a guess, but I'd be willing to bet that this deceptive woman preying on an innocent minor said a bit more than she's ugly & her feet smell.

She was a baby, and this woman should be ashamed. I'm glad for you that you have found it so easy in your life to aquire a thick skin, but alike, we are all not. . .

She should have never been played like this by an adult. Anything could happen as a consequence. Again, I would kill her if she did this to one of my kids.

SICK!

Have a good day everyone. I'm gonna go home & hug my kids.

2PacSade-

bad sentence

[edit on 21-11-2007 by 2PacSade]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I keep getting the impression that a lot of people are still under the impression that humanity is primarily "nice, sweet and considerate".

Nein.

I'll dispense with what I went through growing up, but all I see here is just another case of humans running amuck and preying on the weakness of others in order to supplicate a lack of character within themselves.

Does everyone here cry "justice!" when watching nature shows as well? That poor little gazelle run down by the pack of lions. Must have been the parent Gazelles fault. If not the parents, then the herd is to blame. Or heck, let's just head out with torches and vilify the lion.

Oh! Drama!

Sad, that we as "intellectuals" continue the same patterns of Survival of the Fittest in our own "human" way, yet continue to assert that we are "above" the animals.

Still - it's a shame that this young woman had (or felt she had) no social outlet or valid support base other than the internet.

And no - the internet isn't the best place for positive reaffirmations.

But if you watch those nature documentaries - you'll see the same patterns reinforce themselves over and over again. Without the safety and protection of the herd, there is little chance of survival for the young.

Perhaps this is just symptomatic of the times, perhaps it's the way it always has been - only now with our ubercommunications efforts, we can all sign a collective groan about the misdeeds of a flawed populace.

Oh wait.

Don't forget our pitchforks and torches.

Sad, but true.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Good for this stupid b----, i'm glad she whacked herself. If she’s stupid enough to get that emotional over myspace..then her stupid @$$ deserves to be dead. It’s just one more idiot person that won’t bother the rest of us.

WTF law are they going to pass? This is what i hate about white people..they think the world is supposed to protect them, so they make stupid laws just because they want to point the finger..and don't want to accept responsibility for their own shortcommings.

It's nobodys fault this girl offed herself, except HER PARENTS. The girls PARENTS (not anybody ------- else) should have instilled better morals in her, and told her how she can have better self esteem about herself. They should have told her (like my parents told me) that weather it be real life, or the internet..peoples opion of you doesn't matter. I hate these stupid teens that are like "i'm so depressed". Like STFU and get over it...we all went through tough times in high school and 90% of us came out fine. If her PARENTS HAD RAISED HER BETTER..maybe she wouldn't have been like "OH NO JOHNNY YOU DON'T LOVE ME ANYMORE :KILLS SELF:"

Seriously it's not our job to protect the world from any and everything. If she's not emotionally stable enough to handle life, well she doesn't deserve to live. This is nobody elses fault but her, and her parents. I'm glad these people won't be charged, because obviously the girl was emotionally unstable. That's like saying i should go to jail because i told someone they were ugly. It's absoloutley insane. Nobody should go to jail for SOMEONE ELSES SHORTCOMMINGS. The girl was nut job..no reason someone else should have to pay just because she's a psycho that killed herself over what some stupid "boy" on myspace said.

Let this be an example to all you other useless people..if you are this stupid and hyperemotional..then please, by all means, don't heasitate to kill yourself. The world will be much better off without you.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Man, reading the last couple of posts reminded me why I stopped coming to ATS recently. Heartlessness and emotionless diatribes. And we wonder why the world is in its current shape.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Spawwwn

This is what i hate about white people

Unbelievable. Can you IMAGINE if I wrote: This is what I hate about black people

And then this:

Let this be an example to all you other useless people..if you are this stupid and hyperemotional..then please, by all means, don't heasitate to kill yourself. The world will be much better off without you.

UNBELIEVABLE

[edit on 21-11-2007 by greeneyedleo]

<< 1    3  4 >>

join