It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Town to vote on online harassment after girl's MySpace suicide

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:17 PM
link   
seems the most of you are looking at this the same way I am - sad, but should not be illegal. Plus, have there been any other reports of the medication she was taking?

The saddest thing is that they are putting this up for a vote? Way to go, throw the topic into a mob. Democracy in action!

Originally posted by InSpiteOf

Originally posted by apc
Any parent stupid enough to let their child roam free on the Internet, especially MySpace where EVERYBODY knows what happens to children on there, deserves to have their child's bloody corpse handed to them in a pine box.

Ouch. thats one hardline opinion you got there.

Ouch indeed. I think that is going a bit far, but I can tell a hyperbole when I see one. I'lll just chime in and say when I was 13, my dad had never touched a personal computer (and hasn't to this day) - and my mom, as hard as she tried - didn't have a chance blocking or monitoring anything I did. I was phishing accounts and using keyloggers to unset parental controls from day one. Not sure if anyone here ever used the aol "proggies" between aol versions 3.0 - 5.0, but I had a hand in creating more than a few of those as well.

Point being, to blame the parents for not understanding the internet isn't fair at all. The message to take away from this one, is that the time spent on myspace (and I think you have to be 18 anyways to sign up for that site) could have just as easily been spent with actual people - like friends, family, afterschool programs, etc.

If anything, blame the culture that pushed this girl into depression. Personally, I would point my finger right at the medication she was taking, but i'm waiting to find out what it was first.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by scientist]

apc

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Or how recently she started taking the medication.

SSRIs are well known in recent years to cause suicidal thoughts in teenagers within weeks after the start of treatment.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

SSRIs are well known in recent years to cause suicidal thoughts in teenagers within weeks after the start of treatment.

and since we are on ats... I'll mention that I look a little deeper into that curious side effect than most people. Upset stomach, maybe even internal bleeding... but suicidal thoughts? Sounds like biochemical warfare, but I digress...

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 04:41 PM
link   
I want to apologise if my previous post sounds a little cold and callous.

I guess after 33 years of fighting my way through the slings and arrows of society and it's popularity contests that I haven't come out much better than anyone else in some respects.

Assimilation into the status quo, as it were. Defense mechnanisms up full force and what not. Yes, I've become "emotionless" on some issues.

But heebeejeebies - I was not prepared for the brutality of the post that followed mine.

Sorry if I offended anyone with my third party observation.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by scientist

Originally posted by apc

and since we are on ats... I'll mention that I look a little deeper into that curious side effect than most people. Upset stomach, maybe even internal bleeding... but suicidal thoughts? Sounds like biochemical warfare, but I digress...

Just curious on one thing. In cases of stressful environments causing depression and/or suicide, does the doctor just prescribe the pills then say "keep going back to school or work" or whatever environment causes the intolerable stress? And if so, does the boss or principal make any provisions to shield the person from sources of stress, or help the person cope with the stress?

In the case of work, it should be easy enough for the supervisor to allow a week or two off, preferably with pay, with the chance to return to the same position (or a less stressful one). For school, doing the same should be easier.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:02 PM
link   
You know why some of us get so deeply offended by these types of actions? How are we supposed to advance society and prevent disasters from happening, if we don't teach RESPONSIBILITY.

You have got to understand irresponsibility is like a crime to those of us who were taught to protect ourselves as children. We live in a society that tells us "it's not your fault". What does that say to our kids? What does that say about our society? If my kid dies because he overdosed on a dangerous substance found in glue..am i supposed to sue the company? Yes maybe there was a flaw in production that allowed overly toxic chemicals into the product..but then again i shouldn't have been letting my kid eat glue should i?

This is about taking responsibility for your own actions. Don't blame the world because you ------ up as a parent. Get into your childrens lives. Know what's going on with their friends and experiences. Nowadays i think text messaging your kids is a great way to really bond with your kids.

We all hate the serious talks but they are a part of growing up. You can't blame the entire world for you not taking the time to do simple things such as talk to your kids about relationships. You can't say that it should be illegal for a boy to break your heart on freakin myspace.

Don't be offended by some of the harsh critisizm toward this case..I think people do need to be revolted at this abuse of our legal system.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Some of the reasonings on this site are just sick IMHO. More than likely she should not have had a myspace, she was too young, but most people her age have one.

The parents monitored who she had on her friends list, and assumed this was a boy close to her age. This boy befriended her, and she apparently developed feelings for him, then this boy turned on her but it wasn't a boy it was a adult the mother believed it was upto four different adults posting to her.

A face to go with the story:

The parents of Megan Meier say she hanged herself minutes after receiving mean Internet messages. They later learned a mother down the street allegedly created a fake profile of a 16-year-old boy online to communicate with Megan. A police report alleges she wanted to know what Megan was saying about her own child.

Megan's mother, Tina Meier, believes about four people were sending Megan messages prior to her death. No one has been charged with a crime.
Dardenne Prairie Considers Internet Safety Measure

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

They drove her to this, and they all should pay.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well, I think Internet harrassment should be illegal because Internet should be a source for information where people interact "electronically", not flaming wars. But how to make it illegal is the problem, you can't just go out and put someone in jail because someone else come to you and say "hey this kid talked bad about me on the Internet!".

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I wonder what message did that vicious woman send the girl anyway? That mother pretty much put her nose too much into her daughter's business.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:05 PM
link   

See this is what i'm talkin about. A pretty@$$ white girl like that, kllin herself over some myspace is a ------- travisty. The girls cute, she got her whole life ahead of her, she's white so of course that's gonna help her get places..so why get all bent out of shape over what some 16 year old noob says to you OVER THE INTERNENT? My god, you would think after years people would have learned, IT'S THE ------- INTERNET, IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS.

That's not "societys fault" that she couldn't relize what an idiot she was for throwing her life away for something as trivil as an e-mail. It's the people like those that make the real suicide victims look bad.

I knew a kid with spinobifida who committed suicide. When you see someone suffer to do small things, and relize that maybe their life was really to hard to bear..then you understand true pain. IT really makes you wonder if death truley is better than being handicapped, now THAT'S some ------ up ----. Those are people with REAL problems.

So yes it's offensive she would blatently disregard her life, but guess what..that's because her parents screwed up. Her parents should have been more involved in their daughters life. They are useless themselves, to let a child with that much potential, kill herself OVER ------- MYSPACE.

That shows a serious disconnection from the world. Obviously they made some mistakes along the way and didn't teach her how to put things in perspective. I'm sorry folks, but you have got to man up to lifes problems. I ain't saying i had it good, i ain't saying i had it bad..but one thing is for sure i would never think i was useless enough to jump out a window cause someone sent me a nasty text message.

Like i said, the fact her mom wants there to be a law against something that boiled down to their OWN familys neglect and stupidy..obviously speaks volumes about her obliviousness to reality. She has to understand that the world can not save you from yourself.

MEGANS PARENTS ARE THE ONES WHO TRULEY KILLED HER!

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Spawwwn

She probability fell in love with this kid, wouldn't be the first time some one fell for some one over the internet. She apparently could not handle the rejection and abuse inflicted by these adults, and IMO destroyed this pretty girl. And what is it with you bringing race into this????

Originally posted by Spawwwn
See this is what i'm talkin about. A pretty@$$ white girl like that, kllin herself over some myspace is a ------- travisty. The girls cute, she got her whole life ahead of her, she's white so of course that's gonna help her get places..so why get all bent out of shape over what some 16 year old noob says to you OVER THE INTERNENT? My god, you would think after years people would have learned, IT'S THE ------- INTERNET, IT'S NOT THAT SERIOUS.

After years???, she was 13 years old?????

That's not "societys fault" that she couldn't relize what an idiot she was for throwing her life away for something as trivil as an e-mail. It's the people like those that make the real suicide victims look bad.

Are you serious???

So yes it's offensive she would blatently disregard her life, but guess what..that's because her parents screwed up. Her parents should have been more involved in their daughters life. They are useless themselves, to let a child with that much potential, kill herself OVER ------- MYSPACE.

Do you have kids??

That shows a serious disconnection from the world. Obviously they made some mistakes along the way and didn't teach her how to put things in perspective. I'm sorry folks, but you have got to man up to lifes problems. I ain't saying i had it good, i ain't saying i had it bad..but one thing is for sure i would never think i was useless enough to jump out a window cause someone sent me a nasty text message.

You have no understanding of teenagers, you obviously don't have kids, and thank god for that. If you did jump, it wouldn't bother me one bit....

Like i said, the fact her mom wants there to be a law against something that boiled down to their OWN familys neglect and stupidy..obviously speaks volumes about her obliviousness to reality. She has to understand that the world can not save you from yourself.

Please, grow up, this family wants justice!!!!

Again why have you brought race into this, I'm assuming you believe all white people are stupid and neglectful, is that why you labeled this family that way??

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
As I stated in my first post on this thread I am torn in two directions on this subject as a parent. I would want more than anything for whoever caused my child grief to pay for what they did. But reasonably this will never happen nor should it be expected. Each of us goes through life and at some point and time we get our feelings hurt or irritated or whatever else. But really is this not what makes us who we are today is it not this interaction that lets us know it does not feel good so maybe we should not do it to others?

I really feel for the parents of the young girl it is really tragic but surely they must have seen some effects in her life that would let them see what is happening. I mean it is doubtful that that night she was perfectly fine until she got a message then just kills herself. There had to be other things’ going on in her life this one thing is doubtful the only reason but likely the breaking point.

But as I mentioned in the past post making a law like this would be hard to punish and would likely lead to even stricter draconian laws. What would be next arrest anyone who offends you now in public or anyone who hurts your feelings? As it is our freedoms of speech are being pushed upon and are under attack. I don’t like seeing people get hurt or kill themselves any more than the next guy but we should really watch what we allow to be passed as law. If this type of law was passed imagine what would happen to anyone who spoke badly of an elected official over the internet and later in public.

What these adults (and I use that term lightly) did was not only immature but they also should have realized the possible consequences. Any time you mess with someone’s emotions there is a chance that this sort of thing will indeed happen, it seems the human psyche can be a rather frail thing. There has been suicide in my family due to alcohol addiction another person whom I worked with recently killed himself because of something to do with his girlfriend (I have yet to get a clear story). One of those gave clear indication of what was to come, the latter was online that night just moments before it happened he was a quiet sort though so now looking back this should have been some indication that he may be that type to do that.

But we really do not need any more laws that could be used in extreme ways. It is likely that the adults involved could be charged with criminal negligence or something similar. They should at the very least be forced to pay something to the family in a civil action. Though they may not have intended harm their actions certainly did help bring about that result. Just like with anything else even though I do not intend harm I can be held accountable for my actions as well I should be. By the fact that we can be held accountable for our actions should make us think about the likely outcomes of those actions in turn causing us to be responsible.

Raist

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by apc

Very interesting to know that she was on medication, I wonder also if the medication prompted her to kill herself.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Spawwwn

What does being white have to do with it and why does it guarantee she will get somewhere in life?
Does this mean that all those people that are successful and not white are really white? One last question I have is since I’m white why is it that I have not gotten my share of the “pie” so to speak?

Why not let the story be about what it really is and not about race after all people from all races face the same problems daily depending upon where they are. The things we face in society normally revolve around our monetary value and not as much on race. But then again there are rich white kids who seem to make it nowhere in life because they have no drive to succeed while many have left slum conditions to have great lives.

Those who push the race issue from either side are the ones who continue the racism in our society today.

Again I’ll state one thing I did in my first post. Teens seem to let many relatively meaningless things bother them more so teenage girls. I recall people doing a lot of stupid things as teens just to get people to like them or to be part of the crowd. As it is you see kids doing things they normally would not do just to fit in. Many start doing drugs or drinking or even having sex before they are ready to do so just to get someone to like them. There are many young girls out there who end up pregnant because they feel in “love” with some boy and wanted to express their feelings in a way that normally the boy is pushing for. During the teen years the body is rapidly changing while the mind is finding it difficult to keep up with that body. Many teens become depressed for seemingly no reason normally because they feel someone does not like them. What she did is not that unusual, what her parents are asking for though is insane.

But in all due respect race has nothing to do with this story and should not even be brought up as I am quite sure that suicide is not fully a white issue.

Raist

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

You sound like a good parent and I commend you for that, but the truth of the matter is most people aren‘t. Not everyone sees signs as well as others, sometimes you have to experience things to see them in others. I don’t pretend to know the whole situation, but who are worse? Struggling parents trying to deal with a bullied and depressed child who unfortunately missed an important sign, or parents that spy on, ridicule, deceive, and generally damage the reputation of neighborhood children?

reply to post by GENERAL EYES

We aren’t talking about a gazelle, if a lion killed her, than yes, it would be dead by now. You site a real problem with a lax attitude. This is a case that could help propel some small change to fix that problem. If everyone felt like you we’d still be in the dark ages when it comes to human rights, I’m not sure if that would be so bad or not. But as of now we operate under laws so people can’t really solve their problems the way nature intended. Maybe their should be a law against adults starting relationships with minors on myspace.

reply to post by Spawwwn

You have got to understand irresponsibility is like a crime to those of us who were taught to protect ourselves as children.

It should be a crime, that’s why the neighbor should be in jail. In today’s world, if it’s not illegal it is permissible. Why is adults manipulating children on myspace permissible? Is that not irresponsible? No one is blaming the world, they are blaming the neighbor.

On a side note, I hope you don‘t ever complain about racism because people like you feed it. Racism from any race is retarded. Les all keep fighting fire with fire and see how much we can burn. Yea, it’s because she’s white…

reply to post by scientist

You really don’t see anything wrong with adults manipulating children online? What would be so bad about that law? Do you really have to be physically abusive in today’s world to damage children? As long as our only defense is laws, why don’t we make one?

-----
I’m not trying to be argumentative, but people, how can you possibly compare this to typical online ridicule and to kids killing themselves over video games? This is a bullied girl that possibly came to realize a boy she was talking to for months was really all her enemies from school just before she killed herself. An adult instigated the account and gained her trust with it. If the kids created it, that would be different. It’s almost predatorial, a grown women pretending to be a 16 year old boy and starting a relationship online with a 13 year old girl and letting her enemies from school in on the prank. It’s sick and twisted, this is not a typical case of neglect on her parents or a “silly” sudden act. It was the result of months of deception. Maybe moral neglect and “silly” behavior setting bad examples on the part of the neighbor. Adults know better, and when they don‘t we usually put them in jail for public safety or let people everywhere they go know they are a predators. Maybe she’s just dangerously dumb, we can put her in a straight jacket.

apc

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Sounds like biochemical warfare, but I digress...

Actually I think it might come from misdiagnoses. I dated a girl when I was 19 who was crazy. I mean nuts. She had voodoo though. So yeah. But she was diagnosed PTSD and generalized anxiety disorder and finally depression.

She was taking benzos for the anxiety and then they put her on some SSRI, Celexa I think, and she just went over the edge with her suicidal stuff. She was occasionally suicidal before then, but it was always just to get attention when she was coming down.

I don't think she was clinically depressed. She was manic. When she was awake. I think she was bi-polar. To me, giving SSRIs without a stabilizer to someone who's bi-polar with PTSD just seems like a really bad idea.

I'm no doctor... just my opinion from that experience.

I'm also of the opinion that there is a neurological difference between someone who tries to kill themselves and someone who succeeds. I do not think it is possible for someone to talk that difference into you.

Also, to respond to your previous edit... Finally someone understands! They take all the fun out of it.
No excuse though... any parent of a 13 year old is young enough to get their news from something other than a tube radio. They knew what can happen to very young kids that hang out on social networking sites without supervision.

If they didn't the media fear tactic has really been slacking off.

And AOHell was the shiznyte!

>
Referring to the psycho girl, she also knew the antidepressants were screwing with her head. She refused to accept a refill, but the staff (County Mental Health... good ol' government managed medicine) would withhold her anxiety meds if she didn't take the antidepressants. Why she still took the pills is beyond me. Probably her PTSD... thinking she had no control. You know... that might lend some credit to your conspiracy theory.

[edit on 21-11-2007 by apc]

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spawwwn

Are you sure that it wasn't the between one and four adults who logged into myspace under fake IDs, posing as children in order to stalk and torment a 13 year old girl who had emotional problems?

Nah, you're right. They didn't have anything to do with the situation. That is normal adult behavior.

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 05:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by captainplanet
You really don’t see anything wrong with adults manipulating children online? What would be so bad about that law? Do you really have to be physically abusive in today’s world to damage children? As long as our only defense is laws, why don’t we make one?

yes I see something wrong, but nothing illegal. If anything, Megan broke the first rule by signing up to a site that clearly states you must be at least 18.

the mental "abuse" you are hinting at is laughable. If people cannot take criticism or a bad prank without resorting to suicide, there are more problems than the aforementioned "abuse."

[edit on 22-11-2007 by scientist]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:12 AM
link   

yes I see something wrong, but nothing illegal. If anything, Megan broke the first rule by signing up to a site that clearly states you must be at least 18.

the mental "abuse" you are hinting at is laughable. If people cannot take criticism or a bad prank without resorting to suicide, there are more problems than the aforementioned "abuse."

Not that it matters but myspace only requires users to be 14 years old, not 18.

Also, I suggest that many of you read up on Clinical Depression so you can have a grasp of what you are discussing. en.wikipedia.org...

A person with clinical depression, which is a psychiatric disorder, cannot control how they feel. They cannot just "get happy." To outsiders, these people might have the best life in the world but that does not matter. A clinically depressed person cannot control or change how they feel. The depression is caused by a bad dose of chemicals in the brain - a neurological imbalance. Good parents, lots of friends, love and hugs does nothing to change the condition, because it is just that - a medical condition. It needs to be treated like a disease.

I think it is frustrating for people who have never experienced this problem or those who have only experienced normal amounts of depression to fully comprehend how a person cannot get better or just get through their depression. Everyone on earth has bouts with depression. Imagine if your depression never went away and got progressively worse as time went on.

These problems tend to be worse in puberty because with all the other factors you have massive hormone production doing wacky things to the body as well.

Again, I would urge people to look up information on clinical depression to become more educated on the subject.

[edit on 22-11-2007 by zerotime]

posted on Nov, 22 2007 @ 11:43 AM
link   
I posted about this news story previously and it would be shocking if nothing were done to punish the people who were behind this. If anything, the mother should file a civil lawsuit against the parties and sue them for everything they have.

my previous topic: www.belowtopsecret.com...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join